AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   1G TSX Performance Parts & Modifications (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-performance-parts-modifications-126/)
-   -   My supercharger install completed.. BUT... car is slower!! (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-performance-parts-modifications-126/my-supercharger-install-completed-but-car-slower-666952/)

steve457 05-31-2006 11:09 PM

My supercharger install completed.. BUT... car is slower!!

I just got my ECU back from Comptech, and put it in the car. I hooked the battery back up, crossed my fingers, and tried starting the car. Yes! It started right up with no problems. So I'm all excited and ready to go for a drive. First thing I noticed was that I could definitely hear the supercharger, although no big deal if the performance would pay off. So I punch it in first gear.. hmm.. no traction problems, and the car doesn't seem to pull very hard. I shift to 2nd and floor it.. ok now I can definitely tell.. the car is slower !! :ugh: I definitely think something isn't right. When I punch it I can feel for maybe a split second like the car wants to take off, but then it's almost as if it's being held back. No pinging, or strange engine sounds though. The only thing I noticed is a slight hesitation when trying to accelerate. Looks like I'll need to call Comptech again tomorrow.. I have no idea what is causing this.

kangjin 05-31-2006 11:15 PM

Did you make sure the tensioner was tightened to the recommended 1/2"?

I also wasn't impressed immediately after the install, but I think that's because the belt needs to stretch a little.

Or maybe they gave you the wrong reflash...

JTso 05-31-2006 11:19 PM

Make sure the boost bypass valve is not stuck open. Hook up a boost gauge or scan tool to verify it's producing boost. Also make sure no vacuum leak in the manifold or disconnected vacuum hoses.

steve457 06-01-2006 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by JTso
Make sure the boost bypass valve is not stuck open. Hook up a boost gauge or scan tool to verify it's producing boost. Also make sure no vacuum leak in the manifold or disconnected vacuum hoses.

Great call! I checked and found out that the harness that leads up to the fuel injectors was wedged right between the bypass valve, holding it wide open! I just tied the wires down and made sure they are held out of the way. Now the car runs more like I imagined it would! I didn't have a chance to drive around too much, but am actually looking forward to my commute tomorrow morning.

JTso 06-01-2006 12:43 AM

:whistle: :D

Benz_05_TSX 06-01-2006 01:18 AM

JT comes to ANOTHER SC rescue....again/??

mayb it's time for JTSo to get one...

hey, i just remember why your name is so familiar now, it ryhmes with KTSo...hahhaha!

Reach 06-01-2006 11:25 AM

Jeebus, the remote diagnosis GOD is here. JTso, you should start charging for PMs.

GIBSON6594 06-01-2006 11:39 AM

:werd: JT>*

dom 06-01-2006 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
:werd: JT>*

:werd: + 1

And please don't start charging for PM's. :wish:

jlukja 06-01-2006 12:52 PM

JTso is :goldcup:

Tsx536 06-01-2006 12:59 PM

:rofl: Yes, please don't charge for PMs. All I have is 2 cents :2cents:

xizor 06-01-2006 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by JTso
:whistle: :D

so does that mean you've done that before on one of yours cars :tongue:

usurbrain 06-01-2006 02:19 PM

So any updates on the commute to work? :)

usurbrain 06-01-2006 02:39 PM

Did you make it to work? :sure: hehe... just kiddin

jlukja 06-01-2006 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by usurbrain
Did you make it to work? :sure: hehe... just kiddin

I bet he got to work early.

steve457 06-01-2006 03:11 PM

Thought I better post quickly before the rumors started to fly :tongue: Thanks again to JT for all his help. JT, if you are ever in the bay area let me know, I at least owe you a couple of drinks!

I must say that the car now feels much, much faster. Not much more power below 3000 rpm, as others have stated, but beyond that the power is incredible. I was crusing on this windy road that I always take on my way to work and decided to gun it in 2nd gear from about 4000 rpm. I was actually surprised at how fast the car jumped ahead and accelerated! I guess it's going to take some getting used to.. in a good way. First gear now goes by extremely quickly, and you really have to watch the tach. Even stock I always thought that first gear was a bit short, but now it goes by much quicker. The car also seems to really jump when you floor it and the rear end squats down big time. I almost feel I need to get stiffer shocks/spring just to handle the power.. heh heh.

In terms of noise.. I definitely hear more of that now from the engine. I'm pretty sure most of the noise is due to the comptech icebox, however, since it is more of a low growl that I hear. The growl also tends to be between 2-3k rpms, and is louder when letting off the throttle. I believe the supercharger noise is just the very, very slight whine that I can hear... almost inaudible though over the sound of the intake.

So in summary, I did make it to work after all. Car ran perfectly, no problems whatsoever. I highly recommend the kit :thumbsup:

jlukja 06-01-2006 03:18 PM

^^ :drag:

Alin10123 06-01-2006 03:37 PM

Jtso to the rescue.

JTso 06-01-2006 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by xizor
so does that mean you've done that before on one of yours cars :tongue:

Haha... no, it didn't happen to me but I've learned a few things during my ownership of a SC setup. I would suggest keeping a spare belt and perhaps an idle pulley. ;)

Tsx536 06-01-2006 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by steve457
Thought I better post quickly before the rumors started to fly :tongue: Thanks again to JT for all his help. JT, if you are ever in the bay area let me know, I at least owe you a couple of drinks!

I must say that the car now feels much, much faster. Not much more power below 3000 rpm, as others have stated, but beyond that the power is incredible. I was crusing on this windy road that I always take on my way to work and decided to gun it in 2nd gear from about 4000 rpm. I was actually surprised at how fast the car jumped ahead and accelerated! I guess it's going to take some getting used to.. in a good way. First gear now goes by extremely quickly, and you really have to watch the tach. Even stock I always thought that first gear was a bit short, but now it goes by much quicker. The car also seems to really jump when you floor it and the rear end squats down big time. I almost feel I need to get stiffer shocks/spring just to handle the power.. heh heh.

In terms of noise.. I definitely hear more of that now from the engine. I'm pretty sure most of the noise is due to the comptech icebox, however, since it is more of a low growl that I hear. The growl also tends to be between 2-3k rpms, and is louder when letting off the throttle. I believe the supercharger noise is just the very, very slight whine that I can hear... almost inaudible though over the sound of the intake.

So in summary, I did make it to work after all. Car ran perfectly, no problems whatsoever. I highly recommend the kit :thumbsup:

Nice write up. Good info :thumbsup:

Definitely keep us updated on your impressions as you drive the car more.

jlukja 06-01-2006 05:55 PM

I smell a No.Cal. supercharged TSX meet.

JTso 06-01-2006 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by steve457

You're welcome Steve. :)

Mixelplux 07-01-2007 02:11 PM

where you picked up the kit? how long it took for the total install process?

michael1284 07-01-2007 02:20 PM

you do realize this thread is 1 yr and 1 month old right?

steve457 07-01-2007 03:11 PM

Wow, thread revival! I purchased the kit from Comptech, who I believe I heard was going out of business, but now I think they may be back. The total install process took me about 12 hours. The car is still running great after 1 year too!

Mokos23 07-01-2007 03:17 PM

i better check their website again. i want a SC! only bad thing is i have no clue how to install it. too bad i couldn't go to an Acura dealer and pay them to install it for me. i just don't want to "fuck" up my car

Osmodious 07-01-2007 11:01 PM

Check with the local Acura dealers...mine carries ALL Comptech parts and will install (of course, their labor rate is a lot more than the place my friend takes his Ferraris, but whatever)...the nicest thing about having the dealer do it is the warranty (and the fact that they won't deny other warranty claims). It's at least worth a couple of phone calls.

Oh, and love your handle...KC was a great game!