An Idiots Guide to Mods

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 09:24 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An Idiots Guide to Mods

Hey everyone,

I love these forums. Its great to connect with other TSX owners and see amazing mods.

The one thing I would love is to have a place where the experts "dumb it down" to explain modifications.

For those of us who know nothing about mods, this thread is the place to give simple tutorials and analysis on everything TSX.

Id appreciate any suggestions you all have on mods!
Old 06-18-2007, 09:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
An idiots guide to mods: Reach, jlukja, JTso, moda_way...

I think you're asking a lot from 1 little thread! This sub-forum is where we discuss car modifications for the TSX, with a lot of discussion on what they do, how to install them, what the downsides are, and lots of comments on whether people like them or not. Just browse and read older threads, and you'll get explanations of everything from cold air intakes to underdrive pulleys and headers. All the information you want is already out there, you just have to search for it.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There is also an FAQ with DIYs in there that should not be forgotten.

https://acurazine.com/forums/acurazine-articles-2/
Old 06-24-2007, 02:11 AM
B A N N E D

I second that. I want to do so much to my new TSX... I just don't know where to start. Cosmetic wise... everyone has their own flavor which I don't expect any advice on, I'm looking for upgrades to beef up the handling and most importantly the POWER!!! I know a Cold Air is a good start, which I've done, its just not enough coming from an 05 RSX Type S which was much lighter. The TSX still feels a bit sluggish in the low to mid range RPMs compared the the lighter RSX Type S. I want the feeling of when I hit the gas whether I'm at 2500 RPMs in 2nd OR 6th... the car moves. Any ideas??? I tried to get a reflash from Hondata but they haven't cracked the 07's yet.

Thanks everyone.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:37 AM
CarbonGreyPearlEbony

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX Wisc Badger
I second that. I want to do so much to my new TSX... I just don't know where to start. Cosmetic wise... everyone has their own flavor which I don't expect any advice on, I'm looking for upgrades to beef up the handling and most importantly the POWER!!! I know a Cold Air is a good start, which I've done, its just not enough coming from an 05 RSX Type S which was much lighter. The TSX still feels a bit sluggish in the low to mid range RPMs compared the the lighter RSX Type S. I want the feeling of when I hit the gas whether I'm at 2500 RPMs in 2nd OR 6th... the car moves. Any ideas??? I tried to get a reflash from Hondata but they haven't cracked the 07's yet.

Thanks everyone.
Hondata is a better start overall if you want power. Plus any future engine mods would benefit from the hondata way more than without it.

Just wait they'll get it . Too bad for me and the other 05 AT drivers, we are doomed.
But if all else fails you can get a 06 ECU and Immobilizer.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
I saw a manual about Honda/Acura mods at Pepboys/Autozone/Books A Million. Perhaps you should check it out.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:11 AM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
I'm by no means an auto expert, but I've found very simple, clear instructions for everyting I've done so far. Search for what you are interested in and you'll find a lot of very good threads - even several on "what mod should I do next" or, "what are the best mods". Lots of people here take the time to post very good instructions with pictures. I tend to believe that if you can't figure it out from here, you should have a professional do it. I'm planning to take my door panels off for a speaker upgrade and install my own RSB in the next couple weeks - found great instructions on both.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:59 AM
Advanced

An important part of modding that is often overlooked is determining your overall goals and desired needs for the car. Figure out what you want out of the car, then search the forums to see what specific mods go well together to get what you are looking for.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:23 AM
5th Gear

I am sure you can go through all 10,000 posts and find every possible modification you can make to your car. The problem is this, everyone talks in "code"

My main point was to try and have a thread where there were simple explainations that would let us newbies understand what these "codes" meant.

For example (and thanks to TSX Wisc Badger)
SECRET WEAPON CAI - I have no idea what this is, or its purpose
OEM ACURA UNDERBODY SPOILER KIT - What does OEM stand for? And what is the purpose of a spoiler kit?
TYPE S BADGE - Again, what is this?
REAR LIP SPOILER - I atleast know what this is

If its not a good idea, or you think its worthless, say so. I just know there are guys that read this site and want to stay up on things, but dont know enough about the modifications being done to keep up. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry ohiotsx, you do need some major catch-up here:

CAI - Cold Air Intake (Secret Weapon is the manufacturer)
OEM - Original Equiment Manufacturer (i.e. Acura/Honda)
Type S - That is a badging that Acura gave certain models (not the TSX, the only badging like this for the TSX is A-Spec) for a performance upgrade to the base model (TL Type S, CL Type S, RSX Type S)

If these rudementary terms are foreign to you, I recommend you spend a lot more time reading here and looking at forum member responses to parts they've installed.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:57 PM
Doesn't Rice His Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by moda_way
Sorry ohiotsx, you do need some major catch-up here:

CAI - Cold Air Intake (Secret Weapon is the manufacturer)
OEM - Original Equiment Manufacturer (i.e. Acura/Honda)
Type S - That is a badging that Acura gave certain models (not the TSX, the only badging like this for the TSX is A-Spec) for a performance upgrade to the base model (TL Type S, CL Type S, RSX Type S)

If these rudementary terms are foreign to you, I recommend you spend a lot more time reading here and looking at forum member responses to parts they've installed.
ohiotsx, I'm, like you, before I joined this forum I really knew only the very mere basics of under the hood. All this CAI, Sway bar, etc etc talk was all foreign to me. After leisurely reading around the sub TSX forums, I'm now no longer a stranger to these terms. I still don't know a lot of stuff, but if you just skim a few posts every day, you'll catch on real quick. Trust me, I'm dumber than a box of rocks when it comes to cars, but I caught on. Give it time and check out the mod and picture subforums and see what others are doing to their cars.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:03 PM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
^ that's the way to do it. i thought i knew my stuff, but after being on the board for about a year now, i think i know less than ever. lol, acurazine is full of relevant and useful info ... it's a nice place to begin research
Old 07-01-2007, 11:15 AM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
I've only been involved with this board since April 07. Before that, the most extensive thing I've ever done to a car I owned was wash it. Since then, from the info provided on this site I've replaced all interior and license plate lights, researched and installed a lip spoiler, and just yesterday pulled all four door panels and replaced the factory speakers - all from the info found here. While I'll agree that it took a while to learn what CAI and RSB meant, now I can not only tell you what they are but have a fighting chance of installing both (in fact, an RSB is next on my list). Just do lots of searches, and also, if you run across a term you don't understand, just ask. Most folks will be glad to educate.