LSD questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2003, 09:14 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LSD questions

Hello, all. I've heard tell that LSDs designed to work in the RSX-S will also work in the TSX. Any truth to this? And will a LSD affect VSA in any way? And if anyone out there can answer the above, perhaps s/he can also shed light on cross-compatibility of brake components between the RSX-S and TSX as well. Thanks in advance for any info.
Old 09-20-2003, 09:55 PM
Audi Driving Snob

It should fit though i haven't heard of anyone doing it. Acura/honda has never sold a car with a lsd + vsa(cls6 w/ lsd has no vsa) so I'm assuming it's not a good match. you'd probably have to have vsa disabled.
Old 09-21-2003, 02:06 PM
Racer

The design goals of VSA and an LSD are the same, but they go about it in two different ways which interfere with each other. To get the benefits of LSD, you would pretty much need to run with your VSA switched off all the time.

LSD gives you better traction without cutting power.
VSA gives you better traction with cutting power.

That's where they conflict with each other.

VSA, IIRC, can help correct for skids and such. So in that respect it's good and an LSD will not do that.
Old 09-22-2003, 01:06 AM
Intermediate

Thanks for the informed responses. It's seeming more and more like I should leave the car as is, except maybe better front brake pads when the OEMs wear out.
Old 09-22-2003, 01:12 AM
Audi Driving Snob

get some new and better tires! They'll improve acceleration, handling and braking as well. I highly reccomend the pzero nero zr or even m+s or the toyo proxes t1-s.

As far as brakes go the tsx has the same exact rotors as in the rsx-s...I'm not sure about the calipers though I assume those are also the same. The master cylinder however is supposed to be smaller and more powerful in the tsx.
Old 09-22-2003, 05:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have tried a couple of them out in different combinations on the RSX. Yes, you can bolt up RSX and TSX parts, being that they are essentially the same platform of assembly. I am not sure if VSA will really have any issues on this one. On my RSX, I have used the JDM ITR LSD and then switched to using a Phantom Grip LSD on my RSX tranny. You could also use this part on the TSX. They have many of the same part #s in their box. Trust me on this one. I've played around a bit when it comes to part swapping.

Do look into better tires too. I recommend the Yokohama AVS ES100. 225/45/17 if you want a size too.
Old 10-03-2003, 11:52 AM
10th Gear

Originally posted by SteVTEC
The design goals of VSA and an LSD are the same, but they go about it in two different ways which interfere with each other. To get the benefits of LSD, you would pretty much need to run with your VSA switched off all the time.

LSD gives you better traction without cutting power.
VSA gives you better traction with cutting power.

That's where they conflict with each other.

VSA, IIRC, can help correct for skids and such. So in that respect it's good and an LSD will not do that.
Sorry guys, a little thread mining here. This is sorta posed as a question, so please correct me if I'm wrong:

To my understanding, VSA should be the ECU's ability to cut engine power, and/or to apply braking force to individual wheels based on a couple of things:
- throttle and/brake pedal position
- steering wheel input
- rotational speeds of a 4 wheels (probably using the ABS sensors)
- a yaw sensor of some kind

Traction control would also retard engine power or apply braking to one of the drive wheels, if it detects
- significant difference in left front and right front wheel speeds
- significant difference in front wheels vs rear wheel speeds
- probably using the ABS sensors to determine wheel speeds

If I'm correct about this, then the LSD should not affect the VSA part of the equation much. The LSD would prevent the left and right drive wheels from spinning at significantly different speeds, and VSA does not care about that.

As far as TCS is concerned, I see a couple possible outcomes:

1) TCS is unaffected. The LSD prevents significant difference between the left and right drive wheel speeds, so that TCS would never have to intervene in that situation. TCS would still retard engine power if BOTH front wheels began spinning too much, relative to the rear wheels. Outcome: LSD allows better acceleration, due to more power getting to the ground as opposed to TCS cramping your style.

2) The LSD is ineffective. TCS will intervene when the difference between left and right drive wheels is too small for the LSD to do its magic. Of course, this if dependent upon the thresholds of the TCS program. Outcome: LSD is not worth the money you spent.

3) The TCS and LSD thresholds are very close. You don't know if you're going to get situation 1 or 2 on any given day.

Well, that's my theory anyways.
Comments?

Test_Drive
Old 10-03-2003, 11:56 AM
10th Gear

Whoops, it just occured to me that VSA would care in certain situations.

If you are understeering through a turn, and you are on the gas, VSA may attempt to apply braking to the inside front tire. If this causes too much of a difference in front wheel speeds, the LSD (if it was a 2 way LSD) would cause a slow down of the outdide front tire as well.

Bunging up the VSA program.

Guess I answered my own question.

Test_Drive
Old 10-14-2003, 06:42 PM
Intermediate

To further the debate I would like to point out that the 04' TL does in fact have both a LSD and VSA (6spdMan only). According to hands-on reports from VTEC.net the LSD and VSA worked well with each other (e.g. VSA rarely had to intervene). Of course, this is a different platform than the TSX, and could possibly have a different implementation of VSA, but it does prove that they can work together, and work well enough that Honda/Acura feels safe putting them both into a production vehicle.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:55 PM
Instructor

Has anyone actually installed a Quaife LSD into an MT TSX? My friend has, and is having VSA issues. He is wondering if anyone else had problems with VSA.

Thanks!

MBA