A little bit of new info on the Comptech SC

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 10:10 PM
cmf
ATCer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not having a job can be a problem...I feel ya.
I have the same prob with these damn coilovers. Got the buddyclubs, and the boat must be lost somewhere...I was told 6 weeks max...last word was end of April. That means it will be 2.5 months of waiting.
Look foward to seeing the air ride.
I ask a lot of questions cause the Accord looked really good, so I'm sure there are big plans for the TSX!!
Old 04-14-2004, 01:47 AM
Racer

Originally posted by NocturnalTSX

but i'm considering getting air-ride instead, because I'm gonna have a Kenstyle kit on it(expected to arrive here end of this month). And since its such an expensive kit, I dont wanna take chances with it scraping and getting banged up. But air-ride will just take the fun out of driving, so I dont kno what to do lol...
cant wait to see your car w/ kenstyle kit!!!
btw, good luk on finding new jobs^^
Old 04-14-2004, 10:40 AM
NocturnaL

thank you
Old 04-14-2004, 01:12 PM
Ayumi Hamasaki

Originally posted by MarkPinTx
Headers and exhaust mods with a turbo are useless unless designed in conjunction with the turbo. A turbocharger is nothing but a potato in the exhaust that happens to help out on the front end.

If an engine is not designed for turbo/supercharging, there is a substantial chance that your "shit will blow up" in one way or another.
Greddy makes turbo kits for cars that weren't made for turbochargers. That's the awesome thing about them. If you go custom then yes, you will have to do some work to the engine to make it stronger. Cars that came with Turbos from the factory have tougher engines which is awesome because you can upgrade your turbocharger and intercooler without damaging the engine. Which in the end gives you a lot more power .

l8ers
Wess
Old 04-14-2004, 03:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
A completely build engine will still blow up if it's not tuned correctly. When will people learn? Tuning is the key...
Old 04-14-2004, 04:13 PM
STi'd

Just for fyi, I know guys with Greddy turbo kits that have blown their engines and trannies. Just because it has the name "Greddy" on it doesn't mean it's fail-safe.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:04 PM
Ayumi Hamasaki

It seems like you guys are against putting a turbo on the TSX? Don't you guys want more power? I will have the turbo installed professionally when and if I do get one and if tuning is the key then so be it. I don't see the problem?

Wess
Old 04-15-2004, 05:28 PM
Instructor

Greddy will be reacher :-))))
Old 04-15-2004, 05:38 PM
Burning Brakes

id love to see more power but there is one problem...the TSX is a FWD and tooo much power = torque steer. Im not sure how much these tubercharger or supercharger cost, but they seem to run around 4k-5k. With that price price you could of had a TL or something else. IF the TSX was either rwd or awd you could do whatever imo.
Old 04-16-2004, 11:08 AM
Ayumi Hamasaki

It seems like some people actually like FWD cars. If the STi's and WRX's were front wheel drive they'd be in the low to high 12's with minor mods. I didn't realize that AWD slowed them down until a week ago when I met up with a bunch of WRX owners. I wish it were rwd or awd, but it's not.

The TL is mainly a luxury vehicle for just cruising around in and taking long drives. If you wanted to, you could make a performance vehicle out of it, but look how heavy it is and big. I guess if you did eough to it you could try to get it close to a Mercedez AMG car. Most of those come with 350-500 horses though.

Wess
Old 04-16-2004, 03:37 PM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The key for the TSX would be receiving an LSD. Is there one on any of the TSX counterparts overseas?
Old 04-16-2004, 10:28 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally posted by Wess
It seems like some people actually like FWD cars. If the STi's and WRX's were front wheel drive they'd be in the low to high 12's with minor mods. I didn't realize that AWD slowed them down until a week ago when I met up with a bunch of WRX owners. I wish it were rwd or awd, but it's not.
There's some truth to that, having a front and rear differential does cause more loss at the wheels. There is upsides of AWD of course.
Old 04-19-2004, 06:43 PM
Pro

I called Comptech today to order some parts and I asked them about the S/C. The reply goes sth like "We are currently R&D one for TSX right now and it should hit the market in the next 3 months." I then asked them about the price, "The price has yet to be set but probably be around 4k."
A lil' pricey for me but who knows I might end up getting one.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:19 AM
Ayumi Hamasaki

I don't know what I'm doing yet, but it will be next year spring. I talked with this Asian dude that owns an Audi A4. He was telling me that i-Vtec doesn't run well with a turbo. He said his friend turbod a Civic SI and he ruined his car, he said his car runs like crap now. He said those engines run the best when Aspirated. Which is cool, but that wont be enough to give it the power that I need.
I talked with my WRX buddies and they said that a turbo would work for my car, but you would have to make the engine stronger, have it tuned, and I don't think you'll be running off of stock engine management.

Besides that the Korean dude said that a turbo really wouldn't help to much off the line. That's where the TSX lags the most and I'm thinking that's where a S/C would come in handy. Hopefully by next year we'll have some dynos for the S/C and maybe a Turbo charger.

Wess
Old 04-20-2004, 11:55 AM
TSX-Black Bolt

Seems to me a SC header, an intake, and maybe some lighter pulleys.

Maybe 10 to 20 more HP at wheels. Would be good enough for me.

I do not want to dump a ton of money into it, some small mods to the suspension , and the motor. Done.

I want to get the most life from the car, as soon as you add a some forced air, then other mods to the fuel just to handled the forced air...maybe if you have a bunch of time...and you are willing to spend time fine tuning it, all the time. Good.

Me.. just few a ponies, some better handling and some pocket change.
Done...Its close to stock...and i should get max life from the car motor.

And I can spend my time driving it...
Old 04-20-2004, 12:48 PM
Racer

Originally posted by forestsoft
Seems to me a SC header, an intake, and maybe some lighter pulleys.

Maybe 10 to 20 more HP at wheels. Would be good enough for me.

I do not want to dump a ton of money into it, some small mods to the suspension , and the motor. Done.

I want to get the most life from the car, as soon as you add a some forced air, then other mods to the fuel just to handled the forced air...maybe if you have a bunch of time...and you are willing to spend time fine tuning it, all the time. Good.

Me.. just few a ponies, some better handling and some pocket change.
Done...Its close to stock...and i should get max life from the car motor.

And I can spend my time driving it...
That is you ... and I also think in the same way BUT...
some people like to have a blower under the hood that would be nice and I woudn't complaint for having one
Old 04-20-2004, 01:14 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by JRock
The key for the TSX would be receiving an LSD. Is there one on any of the TSX counterparts overseas?
JDM Euro-R has one standard.
Old 04-20-2004, 03:13 PM
TSX-Black Bolt

Originally posted by Delmiroc
That is you ... and I also think in the same way BUT...
some people like to have a blower under the hood that would be nice and I woudn't complaint for having one
I was going to add a SC to my Tacoma V6.

Some forum I read said: You may need to modify the fuel system, new rails , and pumps, and bigger injectors..to get the most from the SC, and some other stuff...

Wow...I think will stay stock.
(Honestly there is a fear of working on the it all the time, or maybe some failure, because of a big mod like forced air|fuel.)

If I wanted more power I should of had a V8.
Same for "me" on the TSX, if I wanted allot more power, I would have gone to a V6 G35 coupe!

I like the dependability of stock, some minor blot on’s...fine.
I like the idea of lighter wheels, simple yet effective simple bolt on's for simpletons like me....

I am getting a lot off this forum, there are bunch of skilled techs on here, hats off to you guys!

Thanks for all the information you guys have provide
It is much appreciated!
Old 04-28-2004, 03:37 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Wess,
you need to check your info

1. ivtec works very well with turbo setups. Look at the RSX and what it's able to do.

2. H/A engines are very strong from the factory. You won't need to go the route of building an engine with custom rods, pistons, titanium etc., We have a CL-S on acura-cl.com that was putting down 350WHP with a custom turbo kit without much issue. TSX engine shuold be safe up until about 8 PSI for a turbo and problably about the same for a supercharger.

3. turbos can help off the line it just depends what size turbo is fitted.

I don't know what I'm doing yet, but it will be next year spring. I talked with this Asian dude that owns an Audi A4. He was telling me that i-Vtec doesn't run well with a turbo. He said his friend turbod a Civic SI and he ruined his car, he said his car runs like crap now. He said those engines run the best when Aspirated. Which is cool, but that wont be enough to give it the power that I need.
I talked with my WRX buddies and they said that a turbo would work for my car, but you would have to make the engine stronger, have it tuned, and I don't think you'll be running off of stock engine management.

Besides that the Korean dude said that a turbo really wouldn't help to much off the line. That's where the TSX lags the most and I'm thinking that's where a S/C would come in handy. Hopefully by next year we'll have some dynos for the S/C and maybe a Turbo charger.

Wess
Old 04-29-2004, 12:48 AM
Ayumi Hamasaki

That's weird, I've talked with people that know everything up and down about cars, but they all said that the V-tec really wouldn't run well with a turbo. They reccomended a super charger? Personally I prefer a turbo, and if I don't have to make the engine stronger, that's awesome. If I went with the S/C, I would go for a 7psi pulley set up. If going for a turbo set up, I think I would definetly go higher than 8 psi. Also, for cooling purposes I would go for the Aquamist system(water injection). The aquamist is a very nice set up and it isn't too expensive either.

On that CL, how reliable was it? You said they went for a complete custom set up? How much did it cost and did it have an intercooler? Thanks for your info, I really do appreciate it.

Wess
Old 04-29-2004, 11:46 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

If you want to see how turboing works for the K series, I suggest going to clubrsx and reading RSX's w/ Greddy or Cybernation systems. There is a RSX where I live that puts down 350WHP w/ a turbo kit.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:55 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I think the high-reving nature of vtec engines would benefit more from a turbo than a supercharger but we'll have to see what the dyno's say...
Old 04-29-2004, 12:17 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Turbos and VTEC work very well together. iVTEC is even sweeter because of infinite adjustments.

VTC (Variable Timing Control)

The i-VTEC system adds VTC (Variable Timing Control) to VTEC for continuously variable camshaft phasing across the engine's entire power band. As engine rpm builds, a VTC actuator-controlled by an engine-control unit that monitors cam position, ignition timing, exhaust oxygen content, and throttle position-advances or retards the intake cam throughout the 50 degree range, optimizing engine output and reducing emissions.

During typical operation, the intake camshaft timing is almost fully retarded at idle to help provide more stable idling while reducing exhaust emissions (NOx). As rpm increases, the intake camshaft is advanced, opening the intake valve sooner and providing additional valve overlap. This results in increased fuel economy (by reducing pumping losses) and a further reduction in exhaust emissions (by creating a large, internal exhaust gas re-circulation effect).
The turbo on the CLS ran well. No engine issues ever. Two more custom kits are currently in the work. The complete kit was about 4-5k. There is a GEN II kit in the works that will utilize EMANAGE engine managment hardware to optimize fuel maps, timing etc., We believe that with all this in place 400WHP will easily be achieved.

The same is taking place with the Comptech Supercharger with a member that has fabricated a custom IC/AC. Custom IC/AC costs about 1,500 but it's CUSTOM.

That's weird, I've talked with people that know everything up and down about cars, but they all said that the V-tec really wouldn't run well with a turbo. They reccomended a super charger? Personally I prefer a turbo, and if I don't have to make the engine stronger, that's awesome. If I went with the S/C, I would go for a 7psi pulley set up. If going for a turbo set up, I think I would definetly go higher than 8 psi. Also, for cooling purposes I would go for the Aquamist system(water injection). The aquamist is a very nice set up and it isn't too expensive either.

On that CL, how reliable was it? You said they went for a complete custom set up? How much did it cost and did it have an intercooler? Thanks for your info, I really do appreciate it.

Wess
Old 04-29-2004, 12:22 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by Dan Martin
I think the high-reving nature of vtec engines would benefit more from a turbo than a supercharger but we'll have to see what the dyno's say...

Sure. Turbo/centerfugial setups will result in higher HP numbers. However, the powerband is key. When does the power kick for the turbo? Honda/Acura engines by design breath and expel exhaust gases from the ports VERY well. SC would give you instant power at lower RPMs and hold that power band accross.

I've seen Supercharged integra GSRs complete obliderate e46 M3s. Same with Turbo GSRs.

So benefit is vauge. Really depends on what you want and when you want it
Old 04-29-2004, 12:27 PM
Ayumi Hamasaki

Sounds Awesome!!!! I will go for the Turbo Charger set up then, it 's 100% now. By next year Spring I want my engine to look like this and I can't wait. This shit is for an 02+ RSX Type S, off E-bay, Brand new ordered direct from Greddy for only $2500.00. I hope Greddy gets started by this year X-mas and hopefully it'll be released by May/June. I can't wait!!!!

Haha that's so sexy!! Oh yeah, will most definetly need the programmable ECU for the turbo as well, with that, the possibilities are endless.

l8ers
Wess,

Thanks for all your help guys, a turbo charged TSX is going to be sick.
Old 04-29-2004, 01:55 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

yea either would be good. It'd be a tough choice for me. Hopefully hondata will release something.

good luck

Sounds Awesome!!!! I will go for the Turbo Charger set up then, it 's 100% now. By next year Spring I want my engine to look like this and I can't wait. This shit is for an 02+ RSX Type S, off E-bay, Brand new ordered direct from Greddy for only $2500.00. I hope Greddy gets started by this year X-mas and hopefully it'll be released by May/June. I can't wait!!!!

Haha that's so sexy!! Oh yeah, will most definetly need the programmable ECU for the turbo as well, with that, the possibilities are endless.

l8ers
Wess,

Thanks for all your help guys, a turbo charged TSX is going to be sick.