LED Fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 12:52 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LED Fog lights

I'm thinking about installing fog lights on my 2005 Arctic Blue Pearl TSX. I found some LED fog lights at atuolumination.com.

Before I get flamed, yes, I know LEDs aren't as bright as regular bulbs, yes, I know they won't offer much light, yes, I know they will be essentially useless. Why do I want them? Because they look cool and I've always liked the look of cars with foglights.

That being said, I still want them. I found these (scroll to almost the bottom of the page). They're $25 each, so the price isn't bad. I don't know much about installing this kind of stuff though, is it possible on the TSX? I know I should have an extra space or two in the fuse box, so I'm not concerned about that, but I don't know much about how to wire them or mount them so they look good.

Could I mount them to fit in the exsisting TSX bumper so they look at least a little like OEM equipment? I know they'll neverl look stock, but I just don't want them to be sticking out or just look bad. Can I wire them to turn on with the parking lights and stay on when the headlights are on, or would I have to turn them on separately?

Thanks for all the help anyone can offer me, I really appreciate it. Sorry if there have been threads about this in the past, I searched but couldn't find any. Thanks again everyone!
Old 03-18-2006, 01:45 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,858 Likes on 2,579 Posts
personally I think yuck. I dont like fogs on the tsx unless they are factory. To me they look ricey.
Old 03-18-2006, 02:01 PM
Instructor

That's why I want them to look as close to OEM fogs as possible. I'm asking if that can be done, if they can be mounted in the correct place so that they look close to facotry.
Old 03-18-2006, 02:05 PM
CarbonGreyPearlEbony

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
maybe you should wait and see if you find nicer ones..
Old 03-18-2006, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by DMBand0026
That's why I want them to look as close to OEM fogs as possible. I'm asking if that can be done, if they can be mounted in the correct place so that they look close to facotry.
my bad.

Personally I do not think that they can be mounted in the OEM fog light location at all. For one I dont think they are large enough and 2 I dont think they are round enough. I am buying a second set of fog lights for the harness so I could sell you the out cover but I still dont think they would look right. You best bet would be to buy some of the fogs off of ebay and then get like some LED bulbs if they make LED bulbs for H11 sockets that is. That would be the best recommendation I can come up with.

The reason that I say you cant mount them and have it look good in the oem location is that when you remove the current blocks that are where the fogs lights are it is not nice and smooth but rather a jagged edge with holes for screws and other things. it would look bad with those fogs mounted in there without anything to cover that up. I still say you best bet is to get some facgtory look fogs and some white or yellow bulbs.

Lastly I am not sure what your facination of LEDs for fogs is however. I am not trying to flame you just trying to figure out why you really what those instead.
Old 03-18-2006, 04:25 PM
Type-S user

hmm, i'm kinda fascinated into led light also, but then for daytime running lights. Don't care about the less sight led fogs will give, the stock fogs don't give any additional light to the normal light will give you.
the led lights you linked at are not too bad imo... but fitting them in the normal fog light place... mixed feelings what the results will be...and they are normal steel...so will corrode i think...
Old 03-18-2006, 07:05 PM
Instructor

I'm not so much facinated with them as I am convinced that they're the future of lighting. I like them because they're low maintenance, which is to say that they are no maintenance. They don't burn out, they give off a fair amount of light, and they look very nice IMO.

Thanks for the reccomendations though, I appriciate it.

A few more questions for anyone who cares to respond...

What type of fog lights should I search for on ebay? Would searching for "TSX Foglights" do it? Would instructions be included for installation? How much can I expect to pay?

Thanks again everyone!
Old 03-18-2006, 09:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
You best bet would be to buy some of the fogs off of ebay and then get like some LED bulbs if they make LED bulbs for H11 sockets that is.
That's a great recommendation actually, I'd pursue that. Check superbrightleds.com for something you could retrofit into an H11 socket. You could get the stock look w/ led lamps this way.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:27 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
my bad.

Personally I do not think that they can be mounted in the OEM fog light location at all. For one I dont think they are large enough and 2 I dont think they are round enough. I am buying a second set of fog lights for the harness so I could sell you the out cover but I still dont think they would look right. ....
You're buying a 2nd set of OEM fogs? You need the stalk?

I've been wondering if anyone makes H11 LED bulbs...that'll definately keep my 3M protective fog light covers from browning
Old 03-19-2006, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by TSX 'R' US
You're buying a 2nd set of OEM fogs? You need the stalk?

I've been wondering if anyone makes H11 LED bulbs...that'll definately keep my 3M protective fog light covers from browning
nope dont need the stalk all I need is an H11 bulb connector. to be exact I need two of them actually.