JTso's Custom Engine Torque Damper Setup (ETD)

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 09:03 PM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is it possible to mount the cusco-compatible bracket over the stock strut bar? On the AUDM Accord Euro, the mount points are used for a mini-strut bar that is connected to the firewall. Nonetheless, I still want to give the ETD a go.

Old 08-19-2006, 09:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
awesome stuff Jtso!! Looks like the cusco compatable one is a much simpler design that will fit tsx's universally with a lot of different strut bars (spoon, cusco, comptech etc.). Seriously impressed with what you've done.

aaronng, it looks like the bracket could possibly be mounted under the 'mini strut brace', but because the top of it isnt compeltely flat i doubt itd fit on top. If Jtso makes this available to us im just gonna take that little strut brace off... even if it requires an angle grinder lol
Old 08-19-2006, 09:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronng
Is it possible to mount the cusco-compatible bracket over the stock strut bar? On the AUDM Accord Euro, the mount points are used for a mini-strut bar that is connected to the firewall. Nonetheless, I still want to give the ETD a go.
I've tried to fit the bracket over the stock strut brace. It might work if the reinforcement rib on the edge of the stock brace is grinded down flat.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:59 PM
Burning Brakes

^ yep thats the bump i was refering to aswell....

so JTso, when are you taking orders?

group buy anyone haha
Old 08-19-2006, 10:14 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

Yes, yes, I am anxiously awaiting the group-buy Acurazine extra-special price (for the stock-shock-brace model). My engine is torquing around in its cradle, I must have an ETD. Hook me up, JTso.

On a more serious note, does an ETD put more torque to the wheels (i.e., less energy spent moving the engine on its moorings = more energy to the wheels)? Or is that really negligible and it's mainly to prevent wheel hop, etc.?
Old 08-20-2006, 12:35 AM
Driver/Detailer

Just checked my engine bay, you guys are right on that lip. So the option would be to put the minibrace on top. Hope that the bolt is long enough though. I see that the minibrace holds the A/C line and throttle cable in place on our RHD model.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Just checked my engine bay, you guys are right on that lip. So the option would be to put the minibrace on top. Hope that the bolt is long enough though. I see that the minibrace holds the A/C line and throttle cable in place on our RHD model.
yea good point, the bolt may not be long enough for both the bracing and ETD mount . Is the mini brace really neccessary to support the AC line? maybe the cusco brace could be used to secure that with a zip tie or something.

Old 08-20-2006, 10:35 AM
Senior Moderator

The making of the mounting brackets is a proof of concept that it can be done. It would be ideal to have a shop to fabricate them and I put them together, or have a company like Ingalls to actually make and sell them.

First is to determine how many committed people that actually want them. Then find a place to make them and determine the cost and minimum order requirement. If the cost (including AZ fee if any) out weights the interest, then the other option is to make them by hands. The process would be slow, labor-intensive, and won't be cheap either.

Keep in mind that even the brackets can be made, I'm not selling the actual ETD unit. You can find them online or ebay. I'm only offering the mounting bracket solution. The quality of ETD unit and the included mounting hardware vary, but the sizing seems to be the same. I use stainless hex head bolts, nylon nuts, O-ring seals, and thick chrome spacers for the prototype setup.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:37 PM
Burning Brakes

here's hoping that a manafacturer jumps on board and starts making these commercially... you've already done all the hard work, design/fitment wise, they'd be kinda dum not to
Old 08-20-2006, 10:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Ingalls now has the 98-06 Accord on the list but release date is TBA. It might fit the TSX as well...

http://www.ingallseng.com/parts/ETD/93041.htm
Old 08-20-2006, 11:07 PM
Driver/Detailer

The ingalls one would probably be designed around the stock strut bar or a popular TSX strutbar... I wonder if us with the Cusco bar will be SOL.

I'm still up for a JTso hand-crafted bracket.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:43 PM
Burning Brakes

on the ingalls site they also say they need a tsx test vehicle for fitment etc.

the one for the 98-06 accord sounds like it may work... but like arronng said it probably wont be designed to work with the cusco strut bar.

So far what you've come up with JTso, is probably the closest thing to a universal application.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
JTso, I suggest you patent your design, then sell it to Ingalls.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:08 AM
Burning Brakes

^ now there's thinkin
Old 08-21-2006, 07:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Chris_F
^ now there's thinkin
6 years of Business School, 6 years in the business world negotiating multi-million dollar deals... I'm no dummy.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by moda_way
JTso, I suggest you patent your design, then sell it to Ingalls.
I thought about patent but have not done much research on it yet. Could you tell me a little about the process and cost?
Old 08-21-2006, 09:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JTso
I thought about patent but have not done much research on it yet. Could you tell me a little about the process and cost?

I've been through the process before from within my business, so my perspective would be different than an individual. However, I would start by looking up a Patent Lawyer first. They'll file the paperwork and do it correctly.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:32 PM
Port & Polish Everything

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by moda_way
I've been through the process before from within my business, so my perspective would be different than an individual. However, I would start by looking up a Patent Lawyer first. They'll file the paperwork and do it correctly.
that typically costs a small fortune though, i recall starting around five figures or so for the whole process once you get a patent lawyer involved.

he'd obviously need to figure out if he can recover the investment in future returns.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by outersquare
that typically costs a small fortune though, i recall starting around five figures or so for the whole process once you get a patent lawyer involved.

he'd obviously need to figure out if he can recover the investment in future returns.

That is definitely the risk you take in going after a patent. I've learned that taking large calculated risks and working smart equals big rewards.

That's how I got my son!
Old 08-21-2006, 08:12 PM
Burning Brakes

^haha

but if JTso takes out a patent, and ingalls decides the TSX market isnt worth making the ETD for it may not bother buying it, they could also come up with a different design.

I didnt realise taking out a patent costs so much.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:22 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Just be first to market Johnny. No need to patent it since you'd never recover the costs. If you were designing a revolutionary engine mount or something that Honda would be interested in, it might be another story. This sort of thing would be hard to get a patent on as well since there is plenty of "prior art" in making brakets and engine torque dampers.

The one thing to remember about patents is you can only defend your patent if you have enough money to do so. It'll give you the upper hand in a court case, but you still need to take it upon yourself to sue someone who infringes upon your patent.

Just get to market first and be the number one name in engine torque dampers for the TSX. It won't be worth Ingalls time to go against you in this limited market segment.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:52 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,789 Likes on 2,555 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Martin
Just be first to market Johnny. No need to patent it since you'd never recover the costs. If you were designing a revolutionary engine mount or something that Honda would be interested in, it might be another story. This sort of thing would be hard to get a patent on as well since there is plenty of "prior art" in making brakets and engine torque dampers.

The one thing to remember about patents is you can only defend your patent if you have enough money to do so. It'll give you the upper hand in a court case, but you still need to take it upon yourself to sue someone who infringes upon your patent.

Just get to market first and be the number one name in engine torque dampers for the TSX. It won't be worth Ingalls time to go against you in this limited market segment.
I would have to say that is you best bet JTso. I mean if you try to sell your idea to ingalls then they could just steal it to begin with. however if you find some place to make them and just start selling them on tsx forums then you would be golden and probably reaching 75% or the market for them anyways.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:27 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah Johnny, I'm sure a lot of people will buy from you regardless. If it there was a choice between a JTso version and an Ingalls version, I would get yours.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I probably can't afford to pursue a patent at this point. I'm more interested in making the product available to our members.

The brackets are just simply something to mount the ETD. We should pay more attention to the ETD unit. It would be great to have an actual gas/fluid filled shock unit instead of bushings. Does anyone know of any mini shock absorbers?
Old 08-21-2006, 11:36 PM
A DiRTBAG decal on my

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I probably can't afford to pursue a patent at this point. I'm more interested in making the product available to our members.

The brackets are just simply something to mount the ETD. We should pay more attention to the ETD unit. It would be great to have an actual gas/fluid filled shock unit instead of bushings. Does anyone know of any mini shock absorbers?

What about the ones used for the trunk shocks? Not sure of the sizing of those
Old 08-21-2006, 11:56 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

Originally Posted by TSX2345
What about the ones used for the trunk shocks? Not sure of the sizing of those
Not enough damping, I'd guess. What about the shock absorber for a mountain bike's rear suspension? I believe, though, that most of those are elastomer and not fluid/gas -- makes them more durable and less finicky. Air/oil shocks went out on bikes a while ago.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:59 PM
Burning Brakes

well considering the rubber/polyurethane ETD unit's are working a treat, why bother going to something that is gas/fluid filled? It'd probably bump up the price considerably aswell
Old 08-22-2006, 12:06 AM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

I just took a quick look around and, at least in terms of bike rear shocks, they're air/oil but they're expensive. Seems like the better bet might be to contact NRG and see it they're interested in selling a gross.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:27 AM
Driver/Detailer

The NRG ones look pretty ok. Plus with the frequency of the engine vibration and the torque, gas struts might wear out pretty quick.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:49 AM
Senior Moderator

The NRG ones look pretty ok. Plus with the frequency of the engine vibration and the torque, gas struts might wear out pretty quick.
I think you are right. The poly bushings will probably last forever.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:06 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I think you are right. The poly bushings will probably last forever.
Yup... as my dad says: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Old 08-22-2006, 08:53 AM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
so when can we buy these mounts JTSO?
Old 08-22-2006, 11:27 AM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

Originally Posted by jiggaman
so when can we buy these mounts JTSO?
yeah, you keep tempting us with pictures of them and descriptions of how well they work and how great it is for you that you fabricate and weld so professionally. what about the rest of us? more to the point, what about me? i'm clearly too lazy and cheap to learn to weld and invest in a bandsaw and all that, yet i need those brackets. can you feel my pain?!
Old 08-22-2006, 06:08 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by Chris_F
well considering the rubber/polyurethane ETD unit's are working a treat, why bother going to something that is gas/fluid filled? It'd probably bump up the price considerably aswell
a gas shock would perform far better IMO, but making a quality gas shock in that size would be very very difficult. Something like the Koni FSD (frequency selective dampening) technology would be the holy grail for an ETD, but it will probably never happen
Old 08-22-2006, 09:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by peter_bigblock
yeah, you keep tempting us with pictures of them and descriptions of how well they work and how great it is for you that you fabricate and weld so professionally. what about the rest of us? more to the point, what about me? i'm clearly too lazy and cheap to learn to weld and invest in a bandsaw and all that, yet i need those brackets. can you feel my pain?!
I'd like to make the brackets available if I have the time. I started at work this morning at 7:00am PST and I'm still at work 12 hours later typing this post. 2 hours of commute time, 5 hours of sleep, 1 hour lunch, 1 hour dinner and 2 hours spending with family = 1 hour left to myself. How should I spend that 1 hour? Btw, sometimes I work 7 days a week including travel to Canada. I may seem very available online because I have access to computer at work. Please be patient, things will slowly happen.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:04 PM
Burning Brakes

^ holy crap... I'm amazed you still have time to do all of these DIY mods to your TSX
Old 08-22-2006, 11:25 PM
Driver/Detailer

Since JTso has so little time, I guess that's why he makes full use of what little free time he has and comes up with such wonderful creations. Unlike us, just 8 hours of work, 30 minutes commute and all the remaining time for those who are not married.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:43 AM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

I'd like to make the brackets available if I have the time. I started at work this morning at 7:00am PST and I'm still at work 12 hours later typing this post. 2 hours of commute time, 5 hours of sleep, 1 hour lunch, 1 hour dinner and 2 hours spending with family = 1 hour left to myself. How should I spend that 1 hour? Btw, sometimes I work 7 days a week including travel to Canada. I may seem very available online because I have access to computer at work. Please be patient, things will slowly happen.
You know I was just kidding around, right? I can empathize, seems like I usually don't even have 1 hour to myself!
Old 08-23-2006, 07:03 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,789 Likes on 2,555 Posts
Dang I need to work on some time managment then because I would never get all that done in a day.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Dude, sounds like its time for a career switch. Hopefully you love the job.

Quick Reply: JTso's Custom Engine Torque Damper Setup (ETD)