intake and warranty

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 12:25 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
intake and warranty

injen is apparently working on a CAI for the tsx, i'm tempted to buy it once i see some dynos but here's a question:

whats the affect on warranty if i install an aftermarket intake. this new intake will run in both a street setup and as a CAI with the extension. most likely i'll run it street b/c i'm paranoid about the water problem with cai's but maybe once in a while as cold air

so does this void any of my warranty? i don't want to go messing with the car a lot until my warranty is up, but i'd like to do some minor tuning like a new intake. what do you guys think? i know some dealers are around here so maybe i could get some insight
Old 09-08-2003, 02:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bolt-ons do NOT void your warranty. This is very often a confusing issue for people. You have a bumper-to-bumper warranty on the car. What can be altered on your warranty coverage is an issue that is directly related to the aftermarket part that you've installed. Here's an example: You install a CAI on your car and your check engine light comes on because it wasn't done correctly. Warranty work at the dealer will not be covered or done. You'll have to pay out of pocket to have it fixed. In other words, just make sure you don't screw up your car if you put any parts on it. Not that an intake will hurt your car in the first place. There are some dealers out there that are a pain when it comes to working on your car if you have aftermarket parts, and that is their perogative. Some dealers do not want to have anything to do with cars that are modded. It happens.

On a side note, don't get an Injen intake. Get an AEM. They're working on one right now too.
Old 09-08-2003, 03:01 PM
Instructor

cool, thanks for the info. i know there has always been a lot of debate about what voids and what doesn't void a warranty. i'm not sure how my dealer feels about aftermarket stuff, but there is another acura dealer here in town that seems to be mod-friendly. they even had a mod'd out RSX-Type S in their showroom. it had an aftermarket intake, exhaust, etc on it. pretty impressive. i think they even have a couple show cars.

so you think AEM is better than Injen? i have no experience with either of them, it seems like Injen is pretty respected by clubrsx so thats really my only basis of considering them. are there any specific reasons you suggest AEM?

thanks!
Old 09-08-2003, 03:08 PM
projectsx

hi everyone just found your site. i have a 04 tsx at, and i took my car to injen so they can prototype the first cai system and i got it back about a week ago and i love it no check engine lights of cutting required . easy install and about 10hp gain and more torque i will put a pic of the dyno .
Old 09-08-2003, 03:23 PM
projectsx

dyno injen intake

the pic i got is to big. can i make it smaller to fit on the site?
Old 09-08-2003, 03:31 PM
Racer

Re: dyno injen intake

Originally posted by projectsx
the pic i got is to big. can i make it smaller to fit on the site?
you could post the pics somewhere else and place a link for us to follow...You gotta' find a way my brotha' cause I'd love to see what injun has done for ya'
Old 09-08-2003, 03:44 PM
VTECSTASY!

COOL... id like to see that as well. Although im not too fond of Injen. If i had a choice... I'd go with the Comptech Icebox and 2nd... the AEM CAI.
Old 09-08-2003, 03:59 PM
projectsx

try this http://www.clubtsx.com/bbs/showthread.php?p=65392
Old 09-08-2003, 04:02 PM
projectsx

injen #1 highest quality. most reliable, fast service, and dyno all intakes manufactured. look at the dyno print out . 11 hp.
Old 09-08-2003, 04:06 PM
VTECSTASY!

Hmm... good stuff... I like the dyno figures. How does it sound?? Ive had a AEM CAI before in my civic si and LOVED it. The only thing i dont like about INjen is the cold-air "add-on". Id rather have it all one piece.
Old 09-08-2003, 04:26 PM
Registered AssHat

Good looking dynos.

I'm surprised at a couple of things.

1) The RPMS listed are higher than the fuel cutoff allows?

2) Big mid-range (4K rpm) gains, but rather weenie top end until after the redline?

3) VTEC dip is still there and nasty.
Old 09-09-2003, 05:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've removed the resonator and I'll be honest, I don't see a CAI making any difference to performance; looks, sure, but I'm staying with my low cost solution.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:58 AM
projectsx

look at the dyno thats real as it gets 11hp to the wheels. believe me you can feel the mid range power.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:15 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
OK a few things surprised me here as well.

1) That this info was posted at ClubTSX.com first and not here.

2) That seems to be and someone please correct me if I'm wrong the first Auto TSX Dyno we've seen? I know I've been waiting. (Tinky will love this)

158.6HP and 146.1 Lb ft. Thats about 14 or 15HP less than the 6Sp? and close to 10lb/ft less. What does this mean?

3) 11HP is damn impressive, but I want to wait and see what AEM comes out with. Their CAI will most likely have the valve that protects against water damage? Does the injen have that?

Thanks projectsx, stick around here for awhile will ya.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:22 AM
Intermediate

I just quit a job at an Acura dealer and my understanding is exactly the same as Kurt's. I would add that there are always two or three guys in the shop that know all the mods for Acuras. Ask your service rep who they are or just look for the tuners in the employee lot. Take a few minutes of their time. These guys know why and where to get wheels, tires, bolt-ons, the effects of new chips, etc. They often do a little shadetree mechanicing on Sundays for specialty work. Best source of information I've found.

Skip
Old 09-09-2003, 11:36 AM
Suzuka Master

look at the dyno thats real as it gets 11hp to the wheels. believe me you can feel the mid range power.
Well, then you should be able to explain what exactly the CAI on the TSX gives you over the stock box without the resonator.

Here is what I see different between the two:
- looks

The stock setup without resonator will have a couple of inches of pipe that sucks from the same place that the CAI filter would be. The air moves through the filter and straight to the butterfly value... nothing is between the filter and valve but tube. The CAI would be a longer tube to the butterfly valve, but same thing.

So, please tell me how you think a CAI would improve over the stock filter box w/ a K&N drop in and without the resonator?
Old 09-09-2003, 11:42 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

I'm not sure I have any idea what I'm talking about here but does'nt a CAI piping have alot to do with any HP gains?

Is'nt the fact that the pipe is smooth and perfectly round in some cases have a better effect on air flow? I see your point here moda but I'm guessing your car with the resonator removed will not get a 11HP increase and theres only one way to find out.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:46 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Guys...11hp gain to the wheels from a CAI??? That seems impossible. Unless the stock setup is extremely restrive, i kinda doubt this. But what do I know
Old 09-09-2003, 11:51 AM
Instructor

clubrsx did an intake shootout that has a lot of dyno runs. i know its not representative of what we may see on the TSX but it is interesting to see the differences. they did just about every combo you could do and compared the results.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:55 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

fdl, all the AEM Dyno's I've seen in the past wheather it was in a Mag or online or wheather it was an RSX-S, TYpe R or GS-R have all shown big increases in power. Alot of guys at ClubRSX.com claim 10 or more HP to the wheels with just a CAI and I remember Sport Compact Car Mag doing a test a few years ago using a GS-R to dyno the effect of 3 or 4 different CAI intakes. If I remember correctly the GS-R gained 10+ HP using the AEM and alot using an Iceman CAI as well.

I'm personally a beliver in a CAI because when I had my 98 GS-R I would race this guy at work who had a tricked out CRX. When my car was stock he was constantly beating me. As soon as I installed an AEM CAI and nothing else I would beat him handily. It was lose one day and win the next simply because of the intake
(I think). I felt me car had alot more power especially through 2nd and 3rd gears.

Thats my 0.2 cents.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:57 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by prolix21
clubrsx did an intake shootout that has a lot of dyno runs. i know its not representative of what we may see on the TSX but it is interesting to see the differences. they did just about every combo you could do and compared the results.
You would'nt happen to have a link to that test would you?
Old 09-09-2003, 12:15 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by domn
You would'nt happen to have a link to that test would you?
oops, meant to post that. here's the article

http://performance.clubrsx.com/intaketest.html
Old 09-09-2003, 12:25 PM
Audi Driving Snob

if you ask me this is fantastic news for auto owners. Typically aftermarket manufactures choose poor stock dynos to emphasize the quailty of their prodcut. 159hp and 146 tq is very strong. As a point of comparison(stevtec is going ot chime in later) this is a 4-5 hp and a couple lbft more than the only j30a1 usually put down on a dyno. + this is with bigger and heavier wheels and tires.
Old 09-09-2003, 12:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Here's my point... I'm willing to bet that the gains, if any, would marginally favor a CAI from AEM, Comptech, whoever over my solution, solely based on aerodynamics. But is that marginal difference on an CAI enough to spend the money for it.

I didn't see any test that differentiated a Stock RSX Type-S with a Stock RSX Type-S without the resonator.

11HP at the wheel does seem like a whole lot to me too. I just don't want to get so scientific such that we miss an easy opportunity here to make HP without having to be sold something we don't need... that's my only discussion point.

I'm all about mod'ing a car, but I'm also about saving some money where possible.

MrChad used TL parts on his Accord and saved a ton while getting OEM stuff to get him the same performance.

FYI, if you look at my resonator picks (link in my sig), you'll see why I say there is so little difference between what a CAI would give you and what I'm running right now.
Old 09-09-2003, 01:04 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

moda, I guess there's only one way to find out. You don't happen to access to a dyno do you?
Old 09-09-2003, 01:10 PM
Instructor

i'm thinking its time for the acura-tsx.com dyno shootout get all the intakes available and spend a day with a dyno
Old 09-09-2003, 01:21 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

oops, meant to post that. here's the article

http://performance.clubrsx.com/intaketest.html
Thanks for the link prolix, but those dyno's are very hard to see.
Old 09-09-2003, 01:24 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by domn
Thanks for the link prolix, but those dyno's are very hard to see.
hard to see? the thumbnail or the actual image, if you click on it you'll get the full image. the scans are a bit light though

i know we share a similar engine setup with the rsx, but i'm not sure how much we can even really compare off those. either way i thought it was an interesting comparison and it would be great to get something like that setup here with some people once the manufacturers have their production units out, probably another few months though.
Old 09-09-2003, 01:42 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

hard to see? the thumbnail or the actual image, if you click on it you'll get the full image. the scans are a bit light though
I open the scans but they're pretty light. I sqiunted as best I could and made out some numbers though. I surprised at the results to be honest. I figured the AEM would be superior. What kind of gaims are RSX-S driver's seeing with Iceman, or do they even make an RSX application?

I think we'll be waiting a awhile before we see a similar test with the TSX.
Old 09-09-2003, 04:47 PM
Suzuka Master

I'm also a pretty good source of this sort of information, being that I spend a great deal of my time playing with cars that are is the process of being modded. It's a bad habit, but I try to help people out in any way I can. I also have a good friend that can help with installs for people that are in the Austin area. I'm always available to offer up any help when it comes to tech support for Hondas.
Old 09-09-2003, 04:59 PM
projectsx

ok here we go . injen's dyno is not even a year old and it is on of the best ground dynos on the market. also i didn't dyno the car with the stock resonator off ,if i do i will post the dyno results here first. from brand to brand you are going to get different results of power gain . but you also have to look at the quality, service, and reliablity of the product. since i install all brands of cai on all kinds of cars i know that i would choice INJEN over other companys. LOOK at magazines and their dyno runs. they don't favor anyone. they do the tests all the same . then look at the results. if i had a dyno then i would dyno my car every way possible and see what gains i get. but it costs money to dyno.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:16 PM
Banned

try this http://www.clubtsx.com/bbs/showthread.php?p=65392
A lot of us here are banned from our old club. Isn't there some other place you can post this?
Old 09-09-2003, 10:27 PM
Audi Driving Snob

I posted it in another thread.."injen intake auto dyno"
Old 09-10-2003, 06:00 AM
Suzuka Master

i'm thinking its time for the acura-tsx.com dyno shootout get all the intakes available and spend a day with a dyno
Well, looks like we're both in Cincy and if you know of a dyno, I'd be willing to put my TSX (w/out resonator) on the dyno.
Old 09-10-2003, 11:34 AM
Audi Driving Snob

hah, went to post a reply but instead edited modas response by accident...anyway here is what i wanted to say:

do it soon so i know if i should get an intake =D

Also if the auto is getting 170hp to the wheels that's about 212hp
Old 09-10-2003, 11:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

you can make your own CAI for alot cheaper. basically with the stock set up and the CAI, the main difference is that the stock plastic and rubber retain the heating alot more than the CAI aluminum tubing. Althought the injen dyno seems a bit high there is no doubt that you will at least squeeze out at least 5hp to the wheel.

My intake piping should be coming in sometime next week. I ordered a 180 degree bend mandrel aluminum pipe from jcwhitney and will instlal it on my tsx when i have time. anyways whole project will cost me around 70 bucks
Old 09-10-2003, 12:04 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Originally posted by accsueprstar
you can make your own CAI for alot cheaper. basically with the stock set up and the CAI, the main difference is that the stock plastic and rubber retain the heating alot more than the CAI aluminum tubing. Althought the injen dyno seems a bit high there is no doubt that you will at least squeeze out at least 5hp to the wheel.

My intake piping should be coming in sometime next week. I ordered a 180 degree bend mandrel aluminum pipe from jcwhitney and will instlal it on my tsx when i have time. anyways whole project will cost me around 70 bucks
I did this exact project with my old car for fun! If the gains are there I am likely to buy an icebox from comptech this time around.
Old 09-10-2003, 12:04 PM
projectsx

sorry about the link for the pic of the dyno, but i didnt know this forum existed before. and i tried to shrink the pic but failed.
Old 09-10-2003, 12:09 PM
Pro

oh, i thought the plastic can also server as insulator, since engine bay is hot, and cold air suckin from different part, the plastic would better insulate the intake air??
few years ago Super Compact explain that there is a lot of air comming so the impact of changing temp on using plastic or mental pipe does not make any differences...
but if i got CAI i may try to insulate it, the TSX's engine bay is very hot... i think they seal it up the noise and heat at the same time....
Old 09-10-2003, 12:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by TinkySD
I did this exact project with my old car for fun! If the gains are there I am likely to buy an icebox from comptech this time around.
woohoooo! im just really excited about painting the pipes for some reason. i think school is really getting to me =O

as for me i have no money to spend on an icebox or CAI right now so i went for cheap DIY

Quick Reply: intake and warranty