intake cone

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 11:17 AM
TSXASORISREX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
intake cone

after about three days of owning my tsx i decided to take of the top plate of the resignator box and but an intake cone on fits perfect gives minor gains also makes the car sound like it has a lil more balls i would reccomend doing this also i have seen incresed gas millage from it belive it or not. i would take pictures but i dont have a digi camera yet. any one else do this.
Old 10-03-2003, 11:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I took off my resonator box instead. Didn't have to buy anything. Pics are in my sig.
Old 10-03-2003, 06:26 PM
Burning Brakes

whats an intake cone? like a short ram air?
and if i were to put in a cai, should the resognator come out
Old 10-03-2003, 06:29 PM
TSXASORISREX

yea it is like a short ram and yes when the do have the cold air ur intake box will come out other wise i belive it wont fit cuase it will be in the way
Old 10-03-2003, 06:38 PM
Racer

Re: intake cone

Originally posted by buffalo-tsx
after about three days of owning my tsx i decided to take of the top plate of the resignator box and but an intake cone on fits perfect gives minor gains also makes the car sound like it has a lil more balls i would reccomend doing this also i have seen incresed gas millage from it belive it or not. i would take pictures but i dont have a digi camera yet. any one else do this.
It would be hard to notice increased mileage after only owning the car three days. I put in a K&N air filter and even tried removing the resonator but it didn't make any difference because the resonator is not restrictive like in other Hondas. Without any change in power, I put the resonator back because I didn't like the sound. I haven't had any noticable increase in mileage. but the engine seems slightly more responsive than before the K&N.
Old 10-03-2003, 06:44 PM
TSXASORISREX

ive had my car for 2 months but after the third day i took it out just to clerify sorry bout that
Old 10-03-2003, 07:32 PM
Racer

Originally posted by buffalo-tsx
ive had my car for 2 months but after the third day i took it out just to clerify sorry bout that
It would still be hard to notice an increase in mileage. Mileage will naturally increase during the break-in period. The mileage you got from days 1-3 will not be the same as what you may be getting now. I was only getting 22 mpg on my first tank of gas, but that has increased to 26-28 mpg (mixed city/hwy) now at 4000 miles. The first couple tanks of gas had relatively large increases in economy. That is just natural.
Old 10-08-2003, 12:45 PM
Dont imitatate/duplicate!

i am considering to get a k & n filter but im jus wondering if its better to get a wai then getting a k 7 n filter... also cai is out of the option... i live in washington...
Old 10-08-2003, 01:15 PM
Racer

Originally posted by zzzXpandaXzzz
i am considering to get a k & n filter but im jus wondering if its better to get a wai then getting a k 7 n filter... also cai is out of the option... i live in washington...
What is a wai? Is it like the Comptech Icebox? Is it hydrolock you are worried about being in Washington? IMO, 75% of the gains in the intake will be from the filter because the intake/resonator is not restrictive. Thus the K&N gets me most of the way there. However, depending on where the Icebox or CAI will be getting it's air, that could make a difference. I'm looking forward to seeing Comptech dynos for the icebox because I'm not expecting big gains - but I might be wrong.
Old 10-08-2003, 04:19 PM
Registered AssHat

Originally posted by Bear Trap
What is a wai? Is it like the Comptech Icebox? Is it hydrolock you are worried about being in Washington? IMO, 75% of the gains in the intake will be from the filter because the intake/resonator is not restrictive. Thus the K&N gets me most of the way there. However, depending on where the Icebox or CAI will be getting it's air, that could make a difference. I'm looking forward to seeing Comptech dynos for the icebox because I'm not expecting big gains - but I might be wrong.
See, I think it is restrictive in my own little theory. You intake from a 3" to 2" funnel. Then eventually down to a 1.5" to 1" pipe into the resonator. Out of the resonator is a fat 3" pipe into the airbox, filter, 3" to intake manifold.

In the process, you go through five 90 degree bends and one 180. Each bend slows down the air velocity and/or increases backpressure.

ALSO, with a CAI/no resontaor sitting just behind the driver's side chin air vent, you start getting ram-air-like effects the faster you go. Either way you do get a high pressure zone right before the CAI filter.

You're not going to get massive gains from a CAI, but I would believe the posted dynos are within reason.
Old 10-08-2003, 04:42 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Lung Fu Mo Shi
See, I think it is restrictive in my own little theory. You intake from a 3" to 2" funnel. Then eventually down to a 1.5" to 1" pipe into the resonator. Out of the resonator is a fat 3" pipe into the airbox, filter, 3" to intake manifold.

In the process, you go through five 90 degree bends and one 180. Each bend slows down the air velocity and/or increases backpressure.
True, the piping itself is a little restrictive, but it does not force all the air through the resonator. What air does flow through the resonator, just flows over a filter not through it. There aren't baffles in there. I inspected it for quite a while when I had it out. I think the most benefit is in the filter, 75% as I said before - just my opinion. I'd like to see a dyno of just a K&N in a stock airbox/resonator to compare to the Icebox (when it is released). Anybody here have a dyno of stock air intake with a K&N filter?

Originally posted by Lung Fu Mo Shi
ALSO, with a CAI/no resontaor sitting just behind the driver's side chin air vent, you start getting ram-air-like effects the faster you go. Either way you do get a high pressure zone right before the CAI filter.

You're not going to get massive gains from a CAI, but I would believe the posted dynos are within reason.
Careful about assuming a positive pressure, it could be a negative pressure (vacuum). One way to be sure would be to see where Comptech places their Icebox intake. If they put it in the resonator space, then you can be sure it is positive pressure. If they direct it elsewhere, then the resonator space could be at a vacuum. I think it is likely to be at postive pressure, but you never know unless you measure it.