Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 12:03 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any "dip" between 2k-3k rpm??
Old 09-16-2003, 10:57 AM
projectsx

not that noticeable.i am keeping close contact with injen and as soon as info is avalible i will keep you guys posted and if you guys want i can do a group buy . so start getting ready. i will talk to injen today .
Old 09-16-2003, 11:02 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Group buy sounds good !!!
Old 09-16-2003, 11:04 AM
Pro

it sounds good!!
but i would probably wait and see if other makers' offering before decision..
Old 09-16-2003, 03:39 PM
Registered AssHat

I would also be interested in a group buy once pricing, competition, more dynos are produced.
Old 09-16-2003, 03:55 PM
Audi Driving Snob

The injen seems very strong but i'm also very interested in the icebox.... if it can produce similar gains it will have my business due to the fact it will be quieter + easier to install.
Old 09-16-2003, 04:01 PM
projectsx

i talked to injen just a few mins ago and the cai is in production. so very soon. i have a contact for a group buy so if it comes avalible i will start a group buy.
Old 09-16-2003, 04:04 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by TinkySD
The injen seems very strong but i'm also very interested in the icebox.... if it can produce similar gains it will have my business due to the fact it will be quieter + easier to install.
How do you know it will quieter and easier to install?. I'm especiallly interested in the easier to install portion of that question.
Old 09-17-2003, 12:41 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Originally posted by domn
How do you know it will quieter and easier to install?. I'm especiallly interested in the easier to install portion of that question.

A comptech icebox is basically a short ram intake that is enclosed by a plastic air filter box with a port dropping down below the fender. This in theory should give you all the benefits of a short ram intake(short runner length) plus the benefit of a cold air source which traditional SRI don't have. It is also very muted because of the plastic box enclosure. I have some sound clips of an icebox on the rsx vs. aem/injen at home and will post them later. YOu still get a nice growl but it's quiet. Installation should be as easy as unbolting the current air box and bolting this one into place and attaching it to the throttle body. You will probably still need to take out the resonator but supposedly this can be done by discconecting the fender trim/underbody trim around the left front wheel.
Old 09-17-2003, 12:50 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A comptech icebox is basically a short ram intake that is enclosed by a plastic air filter box with a port dropping down below the fender. This in theory should give you all the benefits of a short ram intake(short runner length) plus the benefit of a cold air source which traditional SRI don't have. It is also very muted because of the plastic box enclosure. I have some sound clips of an icebox on the rsx vs. aem/injen at home and will post them later. YOu still get a nice growl but it's quiet. Installation should be as easy as unbolting the current air box and bolting this one into place and attaching it to the throttle body. You will probably still need to take out the resonator but supposedly this can be done by discconecting the fender trim/underbody trim around the left front wheel.

This icebox seems like its more what I am looking for. Please post those sounds clips when you get a chance.
Old 09-17-2003, 12:57 PM
Racer

Originally posted by fdl
This icebox seems like its more what I am looking for. Please post those sounds clips when you get a chance.
yeah yeah...like fdl says...give us da' sound clips...
Old 09-17-2003, 01:20 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

How are the icebox gains compared to the injen/AEM?

Guys it seems as though the only way to remove the resoantor is bt removing the bumper. I've asked around and by all accounts, thats the only way.
Old 09-17-2003, 01:23 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Originally posted by Santacruz
yeah yeah...like fdl says...give us da' sound clips...
I just went and found them on clubrsx again....

here is the icebox
http://www.highredline.com/vids/rsx/iceboxperform.MOV

Here is the injen...I believe this is a short ram(loudest intake)
http://twisterbret.clubrsx.com/Sounds/Injen1.wav
Old 09-17-2003, 01:33 PM
Audi Driving Snob

I've taken my bumper off...not hard at all. First time took a while but I could do it again in 10 minutes. Won't know about gains until we see some dynos. In theory a well executed icebox design should give you good midrange as well as top end.
Old 09-17-2003, 04:20 PM
Racer

I just went and found them on clubrsx again....

here is the icebox
http://www.highredline.com/vids/rsx/iceboxperform.MOV

Here is the injen...I believe this is a short ram(loudest intake)
http://twisterbret.clubrsx.com/Sounds/Injen1.wav
Pretty Fockin Decent! Thanks!

I gotta' say I like the sound of the icebox better than the injen. The icebox has a similar throatyness without being obnoxious.
Old 09-17-2003, 04:30 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've taken my bumper off...not hard at all. First time took a while but I could do it again in 10 minutes. Won't know about gains until we see some dynos. In theory a well executed icebox design should give you good midrange as well as top end.

Bottom line is the car needs more TOP END. I wish honda would make it so that once the rpms pass 5000 fuel economoy and emmisions become dead last as far as priotiy.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:01 PM
Audi Driving Snob

of the tow dynos we have so far...aem + injen you are getting like 7 lbft gains from 6000-7000 rpm which is pretty good. A well designed CAI will give you those top end gains without losing any low end and gaining some additional midrange.
Old 09-18-2003, 08:19 AM
Pro

i thought i don't need to remove bumper, just buttom part to install the cai... am i right?
Old 09-18-2003, 08:28 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by gogozy
i thought i don't need to remove bumper, just buttom part to install the cai... am i right?
I've done alot of asking about this (to the dismay of others who felt I should figure it out myself) and it seems the only way to accomplish removing the resonator and installing a CAI is by removing the bumper. The good news is it seems that doing so is'nt entirely difficult. A member named moda_way has provided steps for doing it in a thread called 'Good Tool Set" . Do a search on it. He also has a car domian with pics of the procedure, pretty helpful actually. Plus HondaAcuraWorld has step by step instructions as well.

But projecttsx has stated that removing the bumper is not nessesary to install the injen so
Old 09-18-2003, 09:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

removal of bumper is NOT hard. This is the first car in which i have removed the bumper and it was a very easy process. If you need a scan of how to remove the bumper just look at the fog light install instructions at hondacuraworld.com. If not i can scan the instructions from my helms manual.
Old 09-18-2003, 09:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by gogozy
Pics are in my sig.

If the filter sits where the stock resonator sits, taking the bumper off is the best process. I've taken off bumpers on VWs and my buddy's Prelude and I am certainly not an auto mechanic; I work as a project leader in the Information Technology department.

I'm still confused as to why people are fearful of this. If you've ever rotated your own tires or removed a seat out of your car, removing the bumper is slightly, very slightly, more difficult.

Remember, the plastic is nothing more than a cover and they make them such that they are quickly removed and replaced in the event of a front-end collision.

I'm willing to help as well if anyone is still not sure how to do it.
Old 10-03-2003, 10:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

group buy is up on the other site in case you guys missed it.

here is a link:

click if you dare!!

injen GB
Old 10-03-2003, 01:32 PM
Registered AssHat

<whine>But he was going to post here with a group buy too!</whine>

I'll copy here what he has said:

THE INJEN CAI polished group buy price is $255 US . which also includes shipping for that price any where in the US. i have a list of all the people interested but now the buyers have to come out. for more info you have to contact RALPH at (909) 682-0310 from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. pacific standart time. i will take orders till OCT. 15 2003 and shipping will start after OCT. 15. ALL ORDERS WILL BE PAID IN FULL . payment methods will be VISA OR MASTERCARD OR US POSTAL MONEY ORDER ONLY. i can also be reached at barbarianmotorsports@yahoo.com or pm me. orders after oct.15 will still be accepted but could take longer to ship if back orders start to ply up.