Ingalls ETD should be available to anyone now

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 03:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the guy (crazyazn) who put up the install pictures has an Auto and he says he felt a difference.

Im sure the difference is enhanced with each engine mod you do that pulls more torque outa the engine as moda_way pointed out.

I have an Auto too, and for this price, improving ride quality as mentioned by people here is well worth it regardless of transmission IMO.

i'll find out after i install it next weekend
Old 08-23-2007, 04:36 PM
E92

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
Yeah let us know
would probably help a good bit if us 07at guys ever get a s/c
Old 08-23-2007, 05:54 PM
Use all 3 Pedals at once

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Excelerate
PM me with your name and email and I'll send it again. Also let me know the date you paid via Paypal.
PM sent
Old 08-23-2007, 06:23 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TommySalami
Yeah let us know
would probably help a good bit if us 07at guys ever get a s/c
That is for dang sure
Old 08-23-2007, 06:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by moda_way
Alright, I've installed mine and I have a few helpful hints from the instructions, but first, my opinions.

I FREAKIN love it. Remember, I have the Fidanza lightweight flywheel and ACT 6 puck clutch. This thing makes the wheels hook up so much better and really smooths out the motor engaging. I didn't even know that what I was feeling was the motor until it disappeared with this. This is a must have if you've done mild to significant mods increasing HP and torque. Let's sum it this way, the motor is much smoother in transition from load to unload.

Okay, now to the hints. I would've like a few more pics on the instructions, but they were sufficient. To get the chasis plate under the strut bar, requires you to physically push down on the wheel after you've taken all of the bolts of the top of the shock mount. Once off, I used my foot to push the wheel down (mind you, it is on jack stands... a must) while at the same time, I used a pry bar DELICATELY to push up on the strut bar on the backside of the bar.

Next hint, use a box end wrench to hold the bolt for mounting the stiffy to the chassis plate. Just drop the nut into the boxed end (I think it is a 15mm wrench) and that way you can be careful around your ABS unit. You won't get your fingers in there nicely. Come in from 90 perpendicular to the stiffy on the left of it. There is a perfect space.

Finaly hint, don't tightly secure the stiffy to the chassis plate until you've lengthened the end to match up with the engine mount plate. You probably will have to lengthen the stiffy end by loosening the nut on it (on the end that mounts to the engine side) to reach the bolt hole of the plate. By not tightening it down, you can move the stiffy over to undo the bolt and lengthen the end with enough room.

I didn't take pictures because I'm sure plenty of you will. Love this mod and it adds some bling to the engine bay while being completely functional. It has tamed the beast. Oh, last comment... I haven't gotten any vibration in the passenger compartment yet. Of course, I'm on the default setting for the stiffy too. I don't have a 27mm wrench, only a single 1" and that won't do me any good unless I have another wrench to move the adjustment nut.

EDIT:
I had 1 additional bolt, washer and rubber washer (the same one you'd use to mount the stiffy to the engine side). Did everyone else?
I just installed mine and I ended up with an extra bolt. I used the other washer + rubber washer on the chassis side too. I didn't do this originally but then I saw pics with it on both the chassis side and engine side.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:53 PM
CL9 ABP

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts
If you open the hood you can see how much the engine moves when you rev it and then with the damper on it doesnt move much at all.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:22 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Does this have any effect on the Comptech Header vibration at idle for the AT guys?
Old 08-23-2007, 11:45 PM
Senior Moderator

it wouldn't, the ct header vibe comes from the exhaust side. way back too.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:09 AM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Reach
it wouldn't, the ct header vibe comes from the exhaust side. way back too.
It can help with the vibration of the CT header primaries though.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX07
I just installed mine and I ended up with an extra bolt. I used the other washer + rubber washer on the chassis side too. I didn't do this originally but then I saw pics with it on both the chassis side and engine side.
I thought I saw that too, but didn't see where it would have been any help since the only moving part is the ETD itself. Once you isolate that with the rubber bushing, the fact that the bolt on the opposite side of the engine bracket is tighted wouldn't give any vibration. I guess I'll just store mine away as a replacement if this rubber bushing should dry up and crack. Thanks for reply.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

So here is my review from my trip to work this morning:

The ETD definitely has a noticeable impact on daily driving. Shifting is a lot smoother and precise from gear to gear (primary reason why I bought this). I often found myself expecting the little jerk from the engine when shifting, but was pleasantly surprised when it didn't happen. However, I did notice that the engine appears a little louder from the cabin...almost sounds a little hollow. Is this typical? Overall, I am pretty satisfied with the mod as it has improved the driveability of my car. I feel more comfortable when shifting and that is pretty much all I was expecting out of this mod.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:05 AM
boost owns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So here is my review from my trip to work this morning:

The ETD definitely has a noticeable impact on daily driving. Shifting is a lot smoother and precise from gear to gear (primary reason why I bought this). I often found myself expecting the little jerk from the engine when shifting, but was pleasantly surprised when it didn't happen. However, I did notice that the engine appears a little louder from the cabin...almost sounds a little hollow. Is this typical? Overall, I am pretty satisfied with the mod as it has improved the driveability of my car. I feel more comfortable when shifting and that is pretty much all I was expecting out of this mod.
Oh man, I really can't wait to get this thing installed! That's all I was expecting from the mod too, but if true, it sounds fantastic.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Audioserf
Oh man, I really can't wait to get this thing installed! That's all I was expecting from the mod too, but if true, it sounds fantastic.
I agree with CGTSX07 as well. That was my point about how the engine was doing things that I had gotten so used to that I realized they were gone with the ETD. The car is just that much more fun now.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:38 AM
boost owns

Anyone with a Cusco Type-OS strut bar install this thing yet? Or will I be the ginuea pig on that one this weekend?
Old 08-24-2007, 11:32 AM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronng
It can help with the vibration of the CT header primaries though.
Thanks reach and aaron. Reach, I think my vibration is occuring with the primaries. I don't get the exhaust vibration like you do.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:07 PM
Special-K

This was easier to install than was my CAI!!..haha. The best mod since the Reflash..
Old 08-24-2007, 01:10 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

The ETD Sounds awesome! Before having the ETD did it seem like you guys had a lot of engine movement when shifting under load?

Do we have a motor mount on the Front left side of the engine(Intake sound). I'm wondering if one of the motor mounts on that side needs replacing.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Cusco bar & Underdrive pulleys compatibility

I just installed the ETD on my car. I haven't even driven it yet. Quick notes:

It fits just fine with a Cusco bar, zero interference. And EDFC. I got all parts in just fine, didn't even have to force anything.

BUT, does anyone else with this in yet (moda_way?) have UR pulleys? I notices there was only a very small amount of clearance between the engine mount bracket and my UR PS pulley. The PS pulley is larger than the stock one, so I'm concerned. There's only 1/8" clearance at best between them. I'll get some pics.

I'm thinking about modifying that bracket, taking a notch out of it just in case the pulleys are to touch it. I know this device is designed to eliminate engine movement, but it got me thinking that if the pulleys move backwards at all (block shift) there is going to be some rubbing.

Now, I'm going to go drive this thing and see if I can report back any hype as well.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:45 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

I just installed the ETD on my car. I haven't even driven it yet. Quick notes:

It fits just fine with a Cusco bar, zero interference. And EDFC. I got all parts in just fine, didn't even have to force anything.

BUT, does anyone else with this in yet (moda_way?) have UR pulleys? I notices there was only a very small amount of clearance between the engine mount bracket and my UR PS pulley. The PS pulley is larger than the stock one, so I'm concerned. There's only 1/8" clearance at best between them. I'll get some pics.

I'm thinking about modifying that bracket, taking a notch out of it just in case the pulleys are to touch it. I know this device is designed to eliminate engine movement, but it got me thinking that if the pulleys move backwards at all (block shift) there is going to be some rubbing.

Now, I'm going to go drive this thing and see if I can report back any hype as well.
Please take some pictures and tell us if there's rubbing thru ya test drive. I also had the UR pulleys so I wonder if there's any contact. Thanks
Old 08-24-2007, 01:51 PM
A DiRTBAG decal on my

Originally Posted by chuson
Please take some pictures and tell us if there's rubbing thru ya test drive. I also had the UR pulleys so I wonder if there's any contact. Thanks

Yes pics please!!!

How about pics of with and without the UR pulleys so we can see differences between the 2
Old 08-24-2007, 02:30 PM
boost owns

It fits with Cusco OS strut bar. Pics later.

Initial impressions: smoother shifting, as stated. Not much else. Minor vibrations at certain RPM.

Left over parts: one bolt, two nuts.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:02 PM
Senior Moderator

I can't tell if its rubbing, but its certainly vibrating the hell out of the cabin. Initial drive = not happy. I will check to see if I accidentally tightened the dampner too much during install.

I think I'll notch the bracket, better safe than sorry.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:17 PM
Special-K

I can't tell if its rubbing, but its certainly vibrating the hell out of the cabin. Initial drive = not happy. I will check to see if I accidentally tightened the dampner too much during install.

remember its adjustable.. you can make it softer but i still think vibration will be present regardless of how soft you adjust it..
Old 08-24-2007, 04:57 PM
boost owns

I'm in the same boat actually. I drove with the sunroof closed and the windows up for an experiment, and there's definitely a metallic noise that was not there before. When I rev the engine, I hear a distinct whine (not the normal K24A4 goodness whine).

Since I have the Cusco bar, I'm curious if what I'm experiencing is the tight sandwiching of the A/C lines between the Cusco bar bracket and the Ingalls bracket.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Audioserf
I'm in the same boat actually. I drove with the sunroof closed and the windows up for an experiment, and there's definitely a metallic noise that was not there before. When I rev the engine, I hear a distinct whine (not the normal K24A4 goodness whine).

Since I have the Cusco bar, I'm curious if what I'm experiencing is the tight sandwiching of the A/C lines between the Cusco bar bracket and the Ingalls bracket.
I have the same noise that you are hearing(at least I think so). It only happens in the first two gears at low RPMs...is that what you get? gonna try and see what it is now.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:32 PM
boost owns

I have the same noise that you are hearing(at least I think so). It only happens in the first two gears at low RPMs...is that what you get? gonna try and see what it is now.
I'll let you know next time I go for a drive man, although from memory, I don't THINK it was limited that way. It was a fairly consistent whining. Whoever said the engine sounded "hollow" earlier was right. The whining was noticeable over my Tanabe MT catback.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:42 PM
Senior Moderator

I didn't notice any new sounds, curious. I got too busy to work on it any more today, but I'll definitely be tinkering this weekend.

At least now I've got a fun project for the weekend
Old 08-25-2007, 08:33 AM
Time to Climb

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
i wish i could install mine already, but just moved up here to charlotte and no tools. LET ME KNOW HOW EVERYTHING WORKS OUT WITH THE UR PULLIES PLEASE
Old 08-25-2007, 10:57 AM
05 6speed tsx!

Does anybody notice that the vibration and noise in the cabin gets worst when the a/c is turned on?
Old 08-25-2007, 11:08 AM
Special-K

Originally Posted by do0oooo0d
Does anybody notice that the vibration and noise in the cabin gets worst when the a/c is turned on?
Everything vibrates now because the motor is stabilized. So your gonna feel everything. The AC gives off a motor vibration too.. so thats why its worst. I was expecting this.. maybe because when i had my Matrix XRS i installed motor mounts and had the same issue? Didnt everyone expect this??
Old 08-25-2007, 12:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
You will notice the sound of the engine more for the simple fact that the engine mount is now "more connected" to the chassis bypassing the engine mount insulator. However, with proper adjustments, you can greatly reduce any "physical" vibrations regardless the AC is on or not.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:59 PM
Special-K

Originally Posted by JTso
You will notice the sound of the engine more for the simple fact that the engine mount is now "more connected" to the chassis bypassing the engine mount insulator. However, with proper adjustments, you can greatly reduce any "physical" vibrations regardless the AC is on or not.
You can reduce it.. but it'll still be there, right?
Old 08-25-2007, 03:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by PrecyseStylez
You can reduce it.. but it'll still be there, right?
If you sat in my car when it's idling, you can't tell an ETD is installed. But as soon as you step on the gas, you can feel the engine is connected. Then again, I don't have the same unit that you guys have.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:35 PM
CL9 ABP

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts
The clearance is a bit tight but i don't see any problems with ur pulleys.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

for what it's worth, I haven't noticed any increase in vibrations except at startup. I also have not heard that noise I was experiencing before...will keep you guys updated.

Old 08-26-2007, 12:30 AM
Midwest TSXer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Initial reactions, first it was a pretty straight forward and easy install. Very few tools required and with the directions supplied, it seemed very easy. I set mine so there is 2 threads showing between the two adjustable larger nuts. The shift quality has improved between the gears, things seem to be alot "tighter" in the engine bay, the cabin noise doesn't seem any different, there is a noticable vibration difference with the AC on and off, definitely worse with it on. The larger mount comes very close and actually I think it touches the object in the above picture. The part with black lines coming out of it and has the AC lines running around it. I think this could be resolved by notching out the bracket a bit to make it "fit better". Anyone else have any idea of how to resolve the rubbing possibility without tampering with the bracket?
Old 08-26-2007, 02:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Can i still get in on the buy? and who do i contact? Because a M.S.R.P. of $340.07 BLOWS.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:41 AM
Midwest TSXer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
PM Excelerate and he can get you headed in the right direction to purchase one.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KingTSX

Thanks !
Old 08-26-2007, 02:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KingTSX

HI OFECR, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

I guess i dont have pm privleges anyone know how to get ahold of him other than PM ?

Quick Reply: Ingalls ETD should be available to anyone now