Ingalls ETD bolt too short

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 05:36 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Ingalls ETD bolt too short

I bought a used Ingalls ETD and was dry-fitting everything before installing it. I noticed that the bolt that holds the heim joint to the chassis-mounted bracket is about 1/4" to 3/8" TOO SHORT. Only about 1/2 of the threads of the nut are interfacing with the bolt.

It's possible that he sent me the wrong bolt, but would it be safe enough to run the ETD installed with this bolt? Otherwise I have to find a very strong (grade 7 I believe) bolt that has about 3/4" of un-threaded area below the head, and I have a feeling this would not be easy at all.

Any opinions on this?
Old 08-25-2009, 06:59 PM

Well either nobody cared or nobody had an answer. I figured I'd play it safe and I got a new 40mm, grade 10.9 (metric for "strong as heck"!) M10 bolt and nut from a fastener supply store -- this was not an easy bolt to find! I also picked up some blue Loctite and used that since the threads on this bolt were coarser than I was comfortable with -- I did not want this bolt backing out and letting the ETD smash against its bracket.

In other news, the ETD install took about 35 minutes, tops. It's dead simple!
Old 09-09-2009, 01:29 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How is NVH with the damper? I've heard that it transmits a lot of noise and vibration into the cabin.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:59 PM

NVH was increased but I expected it and am not bothered by it. I ran poly mounts in my Integra when I had it and THAT was NVH +++. The ETD on 12mm (stiff) isn't too bad at all really. Heck my wife never even noticed so thats saying somethin'!
Old 09-09-2009, 08:41 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Populuxe
How is NVH with the damper? I've heard that it transmits a lot of noise and vibration into the cabin.
I have this on my 04. The added vibration is definitely a big deal. In fact, I have to unhook this thing in the Winter just because the shaking is too much for me to get used to (the motor mounts are cold, so it amplifies the problem). For the summer, I can deal with it, and I do like the added throttle response it gives.

When you turn on the AC though, you will be able to notice, without a doubt, when your compressor is cycling. It transmits this into the cabin (and steering wheel, and dashboard) very well.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:49 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xrarey
I have this on my 04. The added vibration is definitely a big deal. In fact, I have to unhook this thing in the Winter just because the shaking is too much for me to get used to (the motor mounts are cold, so it amplifies the problem). For the summer, I can deal with it, and I do like the added throttle response it gives.

When you turn on the AC though, you will be able to notice, without a doubt, when your compressor is cycling. It transmits this into the cabin (and steering wheel, and dashboard) very well.
exactly why i took mine out. i do miss it though. but the vibration drove me crazy.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:58 PM
Advanced

Forgive me but can someone define ETD and NVH and what the basic concept's are? Just trying to learn more. Thanks
Old 09-10-2009, 12:32 AM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by trebor8915
Forgive me but can someone define ETD and NVH and what the basic concept's are? Just trying to learn more. Thanks
An ETD is a device that adds extra torque damping to your engine. When you hit the gas, the engine turns over in your engine bay first, before power is applied to your wheels. This is where the majority of your delay in throttle response comes to. Once your engine hits the engine mounts, then torque is transferred to the wheels and off you go. The ETD installs from just above one of your mounts to your shock tower, adding extra resistance against engine torque, or "engine turn over". The Ingalls ETD is adjustable.

NVH is an engineering term that means "Noise, vibration, and harshness." Basically, people use this as an umbrella term to describe how loud things are, how they vibrate, and whether or not they find the noise/vibration "good" or not, subjectively of course.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:33 PM
Advanced

Alright got it. Thanks. Luvin this community.