View Poll Results: If you had $4000 to spend, which is the better choice?
FI
83.33%
NA
16.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

If you've got the mod bug chime in: NA or FI?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 11:43 AM
VSA Rocks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you've got the mod bug chime in: NA or FI?

At last, there are some tempting choices for us TSX owners with a lead foot. With Hondata finally cracking the ECU's for the 04's, 05's, and 06's, the potential has only started and I find myself at the crossroads.

FI or NA? Let's here some pros / cons from both sides.

The last price of an AZ'er for the SC system was $4300 installed. For that price, you could buy plenty of goodies for the TSX including lightweight wheels, hondata reflash, high flow cat, a cracked header , exhaust, and others. For the time being, many of the internals are ineffective without a good race header.

Here's my take so far on both sides:

NA - Pros
- Higher rev ability
- "meaner" sounding as opposed to whistling sound from SC (strictly subjective)

NA - Cons
- Currently will make less power than SC
- Most likely will NOT be CARB legal when/if internals + race header become available
- Less low-end power (if not bored + larger pistons)
- Will cost more in long run
Old 02-20-2006, 12:49 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm sayin SC of course . Without any K-pro I think going NA is going to be pretty tough to get real HP from. There are a lot of NA RSX guys, but they use K-pro to tune their cars. They still don't put on the same numbers as the FI RSX guys, but they put up decent numbers.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:54 PM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
reliabilty should be higher with the S/C if you are going to go as far as changing internals and reving any higher than what hondata currently provides, if a future K-Pro is available...

sure added a S/C adds more components which could fail, but reving any higher on this engine, although possible could lead to more issues or at least headache until you get it straightened out...
Old 02-20-2006, 12:57 PM
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Tough call, anyone can take a turbo or SC and make just about anything quick or fast...I'm a bigger fan of NA, however, if we're talking easier to maintain and keep running with an FI setup then do it...
Old 02-20-2006, 01:10 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
You definitely need engine management (i.e. K-Pro) if you're going to seriously look into a high-hp NA build. The only high-hp mod I'd consider at this time is the supercharger, because it's the only system that has software to support it.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:30 PM
Instructor

NA is really nice and I love the sound of a NA engine, but if you want a lot more power, FI is the only way to go.

I used to think NA was the only way to go, but then an opportunity came up and I got a SuperCharger. Honestly I don't think I can ever look back, just having that power avaliable whenever you is amazing.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:25 PM
VSA Rocks

I was hoping our 2 SC'ed members would chime in.

SC is looking very tempting coming from a driver that strongly considered selling the TSX and buying an M3 a few months ago. Would either of you classify your TSX as "supercar" worthy with the added HP bump? Meaning -- do you now stalk C55 AMG's, M3's, and G35's?
Old 02-20-2006, 08:53 PM
Instructor

haha I don't know about stalking M3s and such. If you can afford an M3, by all means go for it. Hell I would. I'm no longer worried about A4s, supped up integras, cvics, RSxs, 3-series beamers, or anything for that matter. I'm not disillusioned thinking my car is a super-car or anything, but you just get this feeling that if you want to you can keep up with the best of them, but you don't need to show it. It really feels like you have a larger engine in it, and the acceleration is linear with no lag. Night and Day difference and so far I haven't had any decrease in MPG. I love just killing unsuspecting riced out Civics, Accords, Preludes who think the TSX is a slow sedan (especially with the Magazine reviews and times about the TSX’s speed. They usually try to pass me up thinking I’m an easy kill cause I have no exhaust and no rims, and my Euro-R kit is not installed yet, then I just drop a gear and floor it.

For example, I was driving next to my friend who owns a WRX, and I would never have tried to rev on him before, but after the SC, he couldn't keep up with me (highway driving). We were neck to neck going about 100 (I know this is stupid but it was 5:30am in the morning with no one on the road) and then I dropped it down to 5th and pulled pass him, he said he tried to shift but got caught in some turbo lag, anyway he was pretty amazed.

I'm pretty satisfied with the power now, I really think anymore would just be for bragging rights and useless without some kid of LSD or RWD. I just need some rims and an exhaust and I'll be done for good.

Sorry for the long reply
Old 02-20-2006, 09:10 PM
WAS HONDATAFIED IN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well you'll also be part of an exclusive club if going FI... once k-pro comes out, or IF it comes out think that you will be able to remap your car to gain more hp... and although na is awsome, the tsx can't rev much past the 7600 rpm. and i know that an sc tsx can be alot of fun... if i still had my tsx, i would be comsidering the sc for the tsx.

also remember this, even if you spend 4000 on na stuff you'll spend more trying to get other stuff for it. if you go sc then you'll still wanna spend money for other stuff.... so in other words expect to spend lots of money... but you'll have one fast tsx
Old 02-20-2006, 10:11 PM
VSA Rocks

Originally Posted by sho-one
If you can afford an M3, by all means go for it. Hell I would.
That aspiration died as soon as I put things into perspective. The first reason I bought the TSX was because I wanted a reliable sedan for the family. Being fast and sporty was just icing on the cake.

Do you think you'll need a heavier clutch for all that power?
Old 02-21-2006, 12:31 AM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
well really if you buy the S/C kit you'll still need to do all the standard N/A supporting mods to get the most bang out of the charger. Especially the header, cat, and intake. (Cat-back might still be a waste of money.) Its alot of money and work just to make your car a little (or even alot) faster.

I like easy to do mods that have high bang-to-buck ratio. An extra 25-30 hp from a simple ECU reflash? Sign me up. Tearing apart the engine bay to install turbos and superchargers? Nah, Ive got to drive the damn thing to work everyday to have it be too much of a toy.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:45 AM
Instructor

naw the stock clutch is fine for the S/C. You do get a extra 25-30 from a reflash, but only on at certain points on the HP curve and not much at the top where as the SC gives you extra HP throughout and I got 60whp at the top. I drive about 40miles each day and have prob put 2000k miles on it with no problem.

Yeah I would never install the thing myself, if I did it probably wouldn't run.

To each their own