Hondata and warranties: Do they go together well???

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 01:45 PM
the Blackura go-eth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hondata and warranties: Do they go together well???

Anyone know how the reflash affects warranties? Anyone talked to a dealer about this stuff? I got over 30K warranty left, but want to get the Hondata...
Old 07-14-2005, 05:06 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Scottybue
Anyone know how the reflash affects warranties? Anyone talked to a dealer about this stuff? I got over 30K warranty left, but want to get the Hondata...

Moss-Magnusson puts the burden of proof on them to show that your modification caused failure and they cannot use a reflash as an excuse to deny a claim against other parts not related to the drivetrain. That said, I would say that you should expect to have a hard time if they have any reason to check your engine for a claim, but something like a tranny problem would probably not lead them to connect the ECU reflash to the problem area.

I would also say that I'm sure Honda is wise to the reflash and may be instructing dealers to look for other mods (like Mitsu and Subaru) as a potential red flag to check for an ECU mod, esp. since there's not much you can easily do to the TSX engine, as best I can tell, to free up more power.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:27 PM
Im a BAMF...Bad Ass MoFo

No, It wont void your warranty. There's no way to tell the car has Hondata in it, unless you tell the service manager. We do all sorts of warranty work for people who have Hondata in their cars.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:31 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by thisisntandes
No, It wont void your warranty. There's no way to tell the car has Hondata in it, unless you tell the service manager. We do all sorts of warranty work for people who have Hondata in their cars.
Can't you tell if you check the ECU w/ a scan tool?
Old 07-14-2005, 05:32 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would be a little worried about denying of warranty work.

I would also be alittle worried about the service manager saying. "We couldn't find the problem, we thought it might be the ECU, so we reflashed it to make sure it was to factory specs."
Old 07-14-2005, 05:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Just stick with the "Don't ask, Don't tell" policy.

Btw, so how do you know they have the Hondata reflash?
Old 07-14-2005, 07:53 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It DOES said it void the warrenty, on their site~
Old 07-15-2005, 06:29 AM
Im a BAMF...Bad Ass MoFo

Originally Posted by JTso
Just stick with the "Don't ask, Don't tell" policy.

Btw, so how do you know they have the Hondata reflash?
Cuz I know the people that have Hondata and get their car serviced at my dealership. Even the most skilled tech will not find Hondata on the ECU. Im just telling you guys from my experiences. But then again, I can put anything or have anything wrong with my car and still have it serviced. I love my job!
Old 07-15-2005, 08:38 AM
the Blackura go-eth

Originally Posted by Benz_05_TSX
It DOES said it void the warrenty, on their site~
where on the site? I thought I went through it with a fine-toothed comb... guess it was a hairpick (ala Spaceballs)
Old 07-15-2005, 09:27 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
The bottom line is, if the Hondata reflash is found to cause damage to your engine, Acura will not repair it under warranty. Same reason that if you drive through a river in a car with a CAI and manage to hydrolock your engine, Acura won't fix your mistake. If you're driving down the road and your suspension blows up, Acura could care less if you've got a reflash and will fix your car under warranty.

The deal is, if a mod you make causes a problem, Acura is not responsible. If something unrelated to the mod goes wrong, you still have warranty.

JTso has a good point about warranties and mods: it doesn't make sense to wait for your warranty to expire before you start modding your car. If something breaks because of a mod when you're under warranty, you've got to pay to fix it. It's exactly the same as if your warranty expired, so you might as well just enjoy the mod now. Also, you're less likely to have problems with a newer car than you are with a car that's a few years old.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:16 AM
Team Owner

There's no way to tell the car has Hondata in it, unless you tell the service manager.
All the tech has to do is take it to 7600RPM in 1st gear while moving it from the parking lot to the service bay. :shakehead
Old 07-15-2005, 10:17 AM
Team Owner

There's no way to tell the car has Hondata in it, unless you tell the service manager.
All the tech has to do is take it to 7600RPM in 1st gear while moving it from the parking lot to the service bay. Or, look at the hondata stickers :shakehead
Old 07-15-2005, 11:05 AM
Faster, please.

Originally Posted by jlukja
All the tech has to do is take it to 7600RPM in 1st gear while moving it from the parking lot to the service bay. Or, look at the hondata stickers :shakehead
I'm guessing that a tech wouldn't have a job for long if they were driving around the lot at 7600! Everyone within 1/2 mile would hear that.