?Hondata Reflash?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 11:21 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question ?Hondata Reflash?

I am thinking about getting a Hondata reflash but I was wondering if there were any other mods that were good to pair with the reflash? I want something to pair with it that will give me the most hp and torque for my money.

Any suggestions? Thanks
Old 02-19-2007, 11:26 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Straight from Hondata's website "This reflash will work very well with an 06 TSX in stock form, or with headers and intake." http://www.hondata.com/reflash_tsx_06.html
Old 02-19-2007, 11:27 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

the reflash was tuned for header and intake. Those along with a hi flow cat will give you the most power. Do a search and you'll see a lot of feedback. Goodluck
Old 02-19-2007, 11:47 PM
I Quit

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
intake headers and exhaust
Old 02-20-2007, 08:25 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
On the 06, the Hondata reflash gets solid gains without any additional changes. The addition of an intake and header should show even more gains. All this info should be available in the big Hondata thread.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:26 AM
Pro

Thanks guys!
Old 02-20-2007, 08:37 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have an 06 auto with fujita intake and i am leaning towards hondata sooo bad... but.. i dont know how to come about doing it... i dont know how to remove the ecu or immobilizer....any hondata dealers in the east coast near PA that i could just drive tooo?? ive heard nothing but good
Old 02-20-2007, 08:40 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TSeXaholic
i have an 06 auto with fujita intake and i am leaning towards hondata sooo bad... but.. i dont know how to come about doing it... i dont know how to remove the ecu or immobilizer....any hondata dealers in the east coast near PA that i could just drive tooo?? ive heard nothing but good
Plenty of detailed instructions on the web and it really isn't that difficult. Search around and you'll find them.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:01 AM
Faster, please.

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Plenty of detailed instructions on the web and it really isn't that difficult. Search around and you'll find them.
It's pretty simple, nothing really technical involved. All you need is a screwdriver, a ratchet, and some patience. I believe the Hondata site gives instructions. It's been a while since I did it though. Good luck!
Old 02-20-2007, 10:50 AM
CL9 ABP

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts
It so worth it on my 05 i can't imagine driving with out the hondata.

I bought an 04 at ecu with hondata already because drkangel was doing a tranny swap AT TO MT
Old 02-20-2007, 11:19 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by daddydliv
It's pretty simple, nothing really technical involved. All you need is a screwdriver, a ratchet, and some patience. I believe the Hondata site gives instructions. It's been a while since I did it though. Good luck!
The part that terrifies me is putting my ECU in a box and shipping it out!
Not only have I seen the "care" that shipping companies take, but I've had a few packages disappear into thin air on me!
Old 02-20-2007, 02:05 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hey bro....

seriously..our cars are so similar
it was actually your car that inspired me to black out my door trim, and I alos have tinted corners...NBP with Ebony interior

anyway...definitely get the HONDATA!!

I got it a few months ago and I am convinced that I made the right move every time I hit 5000 rpm...

you'll love it

God bless

Kevin
Old 02-20-2007, 02:53 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by DLTSX6MT
The part that terrifies me is putting my ECU in a box and shipping it out!
Not only have I seen the "care" that shipping companies take, but I've had a few packages disappear into thin air on me!
Just pack it in a good box with plenty of padded packing material. The ECU is in a very strong metal case, and is subjected to plenty of jostling during normal driving. It's unlikely anything will happen to it, and certainly nothing to be terrified about. If it really bothers you, just insure it.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:10 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

You ship it via overnight, so it should get tracked very well by the carriers. The only time I've heard someone having a problem was when they shipped from Canada to the US. Even that shouldn't be a problem though. Many of us have gotten a reflash, and shipped the ECU out so I wouldn't worry.

Here's how to remove everything:
http://www.hondata.com/tsx_ecu_removal.html
Old 02-20-2007, 03:52 PM
Pro

OK, so maybe I'm just paranoid, but say your ECU gets lost in the mail, and you go to your Acura dealer to order a new one because, oh I dunno, you yanked it out of the car and LOST it or something...if they really want to be hard-a$$es, they could say tha "you just, like, voided the warranty on your whole entire engine for messing around with the ECU and who knows what else you've tried to mod", no?

And even if they do sell you one, I'm sure you'll need to have them install it if you want any chance of preserving your warranty after that...cha-ching for the stealership!!

What's a new ECU worth, BTW? And so what's a good amount to insure it for?
Old 02-20-2007, 04:49 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by bluesolara
hey bro....

seriously..our cars are so similar
it was actually your car that inspired me to black out my door trim, and I alos have tinted corners...NBP with Ebony interior

anyway...definitely get the HONDATA!!

I got it a few months ago and I am convinced that I made the right move every time I hit 5000 rpm...

you'll love it

God bless

Kevin
So we have twin TSX's? When you got your reflash, how long did it take to do? How many days were you without your car?
Old 02-20-2007, 05:11 PM
Team Owner

OK, so maybe I'm just paranoid, but say your ECU gets lost in the mail, and you go to your Acura dealer to order a new one because, oh I dunno, you yanked it out of the car and LOST it or something...if they really want to be hard-a$$es, they could say tha "you just, like, voided the warranty on your whole entire engine for messing around with the ECU and who knows what else you've tried to mod", no?

And even if they do sell you one, I'm sure you'll need to have them install it if you want any chance of preserving your warranty after that...cha-ching for the stealership!!

What's a new ECU worth, BTW? And so what's a good amount to insure it for?
Uh...you are definitely being way too paranoid. I think you will be fine. There is no reason for an overnight air package to disappear. So many people have done this and not a single glitch so far. Doubt you'd have so much bad luck that you'd be the first.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:28 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
to NJSGTI

hey bro...thanks for being such a gentleman, cuz I still believe imitation is highest form of flattery...haha

anyway, hope you don't die of jealousy, but I live quite close to HONDATA, so I went thru one of the dealers close by, EPIC MOTORING , and let them take the car over...

1. I didn't have to pull the ECU out and the immobilizer out
2. I didn't have any down time at all...except for the afternoon I spent to drive there and back
3. I didn't pay more than 595 because I paid in cash (with tax it's about 640)
AND I got a discount from kevin at Epic Motoring for me having to wait 2 hours for the car
to get reflashed 20 bucks off...
4. No mailing cost, no waiting, no worries...

probably the best HONDATA purchase experience out of any TSX owners out there

but it is totally worth your time to take everything out and be without your car for a few days....
I just had the privilege to be in SO CAL

I will post pictures of car soon, when I do get it lowered...
Old 02-20-2007, 07:15 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by bluesolara
to NJSGTI

hey bro...thanks for being such a gentleman, cuz I still believe imitation is highest form of flattery...haha

anyway, hope you don't die of jealousy, but I live quite close to HONDATA, so I went thru one of the dealers close by, EPIC MOTORING , and let them take the car over...

1. I didn't have to pull the ECU out and the immobilizer out
2. I didn't have any down time at all...except for the afternoon I spent to drive there and back
3. I didn't pay more than 595 because I paid in cash (with tax it's about 640)
AND I got a discount from kevin at Epic Motoring for me having to wait 2 hours for the car
to get reflashed 20 bucks off...
4. No mailing cost, no waiting, no worries...

probably the best HONDATA purchase experience out of any TSX owners out there

but it is totally worth your time to take everything out and be without your car for a few days....
I just had the privilege to be in SO CAL

I will post pictures of car soon, when I do get it lowered...
Sounds good! I live in Orlando and there is a dealer in Tampa which is almost two hours away. Im trying to decide if it's worth it to drive there and not have to remove anything myself. Id rather leave it to a pro.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:06 AM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by NJSGTI
Sounds good! I live in Orlando and there is a dealer in Tampa which is almost two hours away. Im trying to decide if it's worth it to drive there and not have to remove anything myself. Id rather leave it to a pro.
I believe the dealer would take your car apart, send off your parts, and then install it back. The dealers only sell Hondata's service. So. Cali people can drive to places like Epic Motoring because they drive the car to Hondata directly, and they can access a port without tearing the car apart.

So if you really want to drive 2 hours so that you can leave your car there for a few days, then I guess you can do it. But from what I gather, "it's so easy, even a caveman can do it." You should be able to do it yourself and mail it over to Hondata (the dealers mail you the packaging that's necessary...
Old 02-21-2007, 12:30 AM
CarbonGreyPearlEbony

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Dont forget the hondata heatshield.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:45 AM
Have camera, will travel

SoCaliTrojan is right. The ECU still has to be sent to Hondata in California. The only reason the poster who had the work done at Epic could wait while the work was being done is because Kevin's business is a short drive away from the Hondata facility.

Once again, no matter what dealer you go through, the ECU must be sent to Hondata for the reflash. So, if you live in Florida or anywhere else but right next door to Hondata, plan on being without the use of your car for a few days.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:12 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by waTSX
Once again, no matter what dealer you go through, the ECU must be sent to Hondata for the reflash. So, if you live in Florida or anywhere else but right next door to Hondata, plan on being without the use of your car for a few days.
And IIRC, there's no way to deal with Hondata directly, right? Meaning you have to work through one of those dealers, either in person or by phone and mail. Someone once suggested working with Epic, regardless of where you live.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:45 AM
Have camera, will travel

And IIRC, there's no way to deal with Hondata directly, right? Meaning you have to work through one of those dealers, either in person or by phone and mail. Someone once suggested working with Epic, regardless of where you live.
That's correct. You have to use one of the dealers as an intermediary. You send it to them, they send it to Hondata. Kevin at Epic Motoring does a good job. Many AZ members have dealt with him, including me, with zero problems. Since he can drive the ECU right over to Hondata, the turnaround may be quicker than with other dealers.

Good luck.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:08 PM
Pro

Ok guys. Thanks a lot for all the help. I will probably get it done over my spring break in March. Thanks again.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:08 PM
Team Owner

That's correct. You have to use one of the dealers as an intermediary. You send it to them, they send it to Hondata. Kevin at Epic Motoring does a good job. Many AZ members have dealt with him, including me, with zero problems. Since he can drive the ECU right over to Hondata, the turnaround may be quicker than with other dealers.

Good luck.
Actually, you never send the ECU to the dealer. The dealer only serves as the point of initiating the sale, but you mail the ECU directly to Hondata and get it back directly from them. The dealer never has to touch the ECU unless you request that the dealer remove the ECU for you.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:26 PM
Pro

Good luck.

I guess I had the process misunderstood a little...

I thought the process was:

1) call a dealer.
2) dealer sends you shipping materials.
3) you put your ECU into the shipping materials, and ship directly to Hondata.
4) you pay the dealer, dealer makes $$ doing for nothing more than being a middleman.
5) Hondata flashes your ECU and ships it directly back to you.

So, if that's the case, even if you work with Epic, the ECU would go directly to Hondata and Epic would never lay hands on it, right?

I like your description better, though. I'd definitely prefer a dealer who personally transports my ECU vs one who puts it into the mail machine for still two more trips(send and return).
Old 02-21-2007, 03:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The most commonly used process is the other board's "here's your box and shipping labels" method. If purchased from them, you will receive:

1. cardboard box
2. all shipping labels (overnight) and tracking numbers you need
3. pretty good instructions on what to do
4. stickers

You put your ecu and immobilizer in the box, and send away (lets say, on Monday, just before shipping closes, 5pm).

Then, Hondata receives it Tuesday around 10am. Then program it that day and get it back in the mail to you with your pre-paid shipping label. This is what happens on Tuesday.

Wednesday, sometime before 10am. You get your box back, hand delivered. Go install it in your car, and by 10:30am you've got the best thing you'll ever do it and can still make it to work (late). At least, these are the steps I did. I had to carpool for 1 day to work, but boy is it worth it.

The only thing different about Epic is, one of the Epic guys will actually drive your TSX to hondata, where doug does the programming on the car itself, without removing the ECU, just unplugging the factory cables and doing his programming. Obviously this is the best scenario, but its only available to socal locals. For us east coasters, the shipping method really is quite easy.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:49 PM
Boost Junky

Originally Posted by lcrazyaznl

I bought an 04 at ecu with hondata already because drkangel was doing a tranny swap AT TO MT
yo I see your in Commack...im debating on doing the hondata on my 06 AT TSX...u think we could maybe meet up one day so you could take me for a ride so I can see the difference...or maybe run me in my stock TSX to see how much quicker it is...Im in the Smithtown/St. James area
Old 02-21-2007, 05:04 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by lcrazyaznl

how much did it cost to switch your tranny from at to mt?
Old 02-21-2007, 06:43 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

DrkAngel was the one that did the tranny swap, not CrazyAzn
Old 02-21-2007, 06:48 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

He posted here that it costs 5K + labor.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...&highlight=tsx
Old 02-21-2007, 07:40 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Actually, you never send the ECU to the dealer. The dealer only serves as the point of initiating the sale, but you mail the ECU directly to Hondata and get it back directly from them. The dealer never has to touch the ECU unless you request that the dealer remove the ECU for you.
I guess I had the process misunderstood a little...

I thought the process was:

1) call a dealer.
2) dealer sends you shipping materials.
3) you put your ECU into the shipping materials, and ship directly to Hondata.
4) you pay the dealer, dealer makes $$ doing for nothing more than being a middleman.
5) Hondata flashes your ECU and ships it directly back to you.

So, if that's the case, even if you work with Epic, the ECU would go directly to Hondata and Epic would never lay hands on it, right?

I like your description better, though. I'd definitely prefer a dealer who personally transports my ECU vs one who puts it into the mail machine for still two more trips(send and return).
OK, then I sit corrected. I was dealing directly with Kevin at Epic when I sent mine in. I do not recall getting any packing materials or labels from him. I do recall removing the ECU and immobilizer, packing it up and sending it to Epic. When it was slightly delayed, it was Kevin I was dealing with on the phone, and he was speaking as if he was the one sending it back to me, not the folks at Hondata. That said, it's been a year and a half, so my memory may be off. I am, however, almost positive that's how it went down.

I apologize if I disseminated bad info.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:58 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

^^ Actually, you're info sounds correct if you're going through Epic Motoring. Since Kevin is close to Hondata himself, he has the luxory of bringing it directly to Hondata himself.

Some of the dealers are not in Cali so it works as described by DLTSX6MT and Reach. It just depends on who you go through to get the reflash.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:06 PM
Have camera, will travel

^^That clears it up then. Thanks Kenny.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:25 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I read somewhere that, because of the slightly larger intake on the 06/07 models, the reflash on the 06/07 increases the performance approximately the same as an 04/05 reflash + header + intake. Its a very good bang-for-the-buck. As Ferris said, " If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up".
Old 02-23-2007, 01:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jlukja
I read somewhere that, because of the slightly larger intake on the 06/07 models, the reflash on the 06/07 increases the performance approximately the same as an 04/05 reflash + header + intake. Its a very good bang-for-the-buck. As Ferris said, " If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up".
Here is what your talking about jan and you are correct....

Hondata 04 reflash w/ intake & headers (yellow one) compared to a 06 reflash only.

Old 02-23-2007, 11:35 PM
NYT
Intermediate

I am thinking about getting a Hondata reflash but I was wondering if there were any other mods that were good to pair with the reflash? I want something to pair with it that will give me the most hp and torque for my money.

Any suggestions? Thanks
Hondata is definitely the best bang for the buck mod to increase HP/TQ. The TSX breathes very well stock; intake and exhaust mods will help a little bit but IMO provide such minimal gains in comparison and aren't really worth the value.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:41 AM
Not a Registered User

if you guys who own a tsx w/ hondata, header, intake had to compare the acceleration of your car to another, faster car, what would it be?

**e.g. tsx now feels like a RSX-S**
Old 02-25-2007, 02:40 PM
Intermediate

Kingmotorsports.com deals with the reflash. You pay them and ship right to Hondata. I pulled mine myself. Very easy with instructions on hondata website. 30 min pull...maybe. Running stock tsx and very noticable difference. Plus vtec engages @ 5000 rpm. Almost forgot.... they burned my ECU and had to replace it with another.Nice.

Quick Reply: ?Hondata Reflash?