Hondata on 5AT

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 10:24 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hondata on 5AT

Hondata is a great mod even for a daily driver, even if you don't plan on ever hitting 7600 rpm.

I have an icebox on my 2004 5AT, ~15,000 miles.

First off, to be honest, I was still skeptical of this whole thing when I decided to take the plunge. I have to say, I wasn't at all comfortable taking out the brains of my car and sending it across the country with a key and the immobilizer to some (for all I know) "hackers". But the process was not too bad and the results were definitely worth it for me. As others have attested, Jeramy at Kindle Racing was great.

My non-technical review:
After 2 tanks of gas there is no decrease in gas mileage (other than what you would expect from getting on it more). On the first tank when I didn't have the oppty to "hit it" much, I think the mileage actually ticked up a bit from my historical. But I'll know more after a few tanks.

Even in regular "Drive" there is clearly more consistent and harder "pull" when you hit the gas hard (but not go WOT) even if you don't break 5,000 rpm's. (i.e., when you accelerate fairly quickly and cause the auto shift points to shift up I believe it does so right around 5,000 rpm when at like around 60% -70% throttle.) So you don't need to go WOT to see benefits from Hondata.

From a standstill and hitting it WOT, can definitely chirp the stock tires which I don't think I could do before (not something I really care about - just HAD to try it tho)

Now, when going into sportshift, even if you don't go beyond the original redline, it simply feels like a more powerful car than before.

The way I could explain it is this: before I used to think - geez this car is great but I just wish I had a bit of extra power in reserve for when I want to use it. I think Hondata has changed that enough to more than satisfy me.

I don't have dyno's or times nor do I plan to. But for those with a 5AT who might have not been considering this mod at all, or who were on the fence: from myself as a skeptic, I can say that for even the non-racers and somewhat conservative drivers, it has some definite benefits. And I have still yet to find a true downside.
So the cost/benefit and risk/reward are both pretty damn good imho.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you experience the hesitation at the vtec crossover that a few other Hondata A/T equipped TSX owners reported?
Old 05-23-2005, 01:10 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AlterZgo
Do you experience the hesitation at the vtec crossover that a few other Hondata A/T equipped TSX owners reported?
I'd like to know the answer to this too.
I wonder if this hesitation is because the reflash was designed for the Comptech Icebox and I'm running the Injen instead. All of this is theoretical, so I don't know if this is true or not, but it makes me curious.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:24 PM
Racer

im fairly sure that all AT's will experience the hesitation due to the fact that our transmision has longer gears and dont move through the rpms as fast as the manual transmision does. I wonder now if the vtec point was raised about 300 rpms to around 5300, if this would help eliminate the hesitation.

But one thing i know for a fact is that hondata worked better with my cai than when i changed my injen into a sri. I felt the hesitation more, but the car felt a little quicker in low-end with the sri mode. With the cai, theres more power and less hesitation on top end. And having the header really helped out to fix the hesitation. So, there really isnt anything else to do to our car that would fix the hesitation but change the hondata mapping itself.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:00 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
I've read the same report(s) and I did not notice anything like that. I think I remember reading about a really obvious 1/2 second lag at 5,000 rpm, and that is definitely NOT the case with me, but I'll play with it a little more and pay closer attention to tach to see if I can find anything similar. But I'm confident there is no huge hesitation with my setup or else I would have noticed it already.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:08 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Triz08
im fairly sure that all AT's will experience the hesitation due to the fact that our transmision has longer gears and dont move through the rpms as fast as the manual transmision does. I wonder now if the vtec point was raised about 300 rpms to around 5300, if this would help eliminate the hesitation...
I should really state it like this - i don't believe I've noticed any huge "increase" in hesitation after the reflash. Of course, that 5AT has some points across the rpm range where it loses some torque depending on the rpm and the switching of the AT, but after getting flashed I haven't noticed a NEW noteworthy hesitation at the new crossover...

But like I said I'll pay closer attention and report back.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:51 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
I haven't noticed any hesitation unless I back off the throttle near the VTEC point before going WOT and crossing the VTEC point. It's otherwise pretty smooth and there are no real problems that I have seen.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:57 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

This is interesting....I'm thinking about trying to get my hands on an icebox.

Anyone around north cali...wanna switch intakes for awhile?
Old 05-23-2005, 05:33 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LI_NY_1
But like I said I'll pay closer attention and report back.
Just to confirm:
No noticeable hesitation in sportshift @ 5,000 rpm crossover in 1st and 2nd gear. (too much traffic to try 5k rpm in 3rd or 4th... Long Island traffic and all...)
Old 05-23-2005, 05:35 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Is there "any" hesitation at all? Did you have any hesitation before Hondata?

Could you please try it both when VSA is on and off?

Thanks!
Old 05-24-2005, 10:11 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm installing Comptech headers today, I will let you guys know how they feel in comparison to DC Sports and stock headers w/ Hondata 5AT.

My DC Sports headers seperated at flex pipe by the cat they need to be rewelded...

I plan to sell them soon as is, if anyones interested PM me.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:00 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tsx536
Is there "any" hesitation at all? Did you have any hesitation before Hondata?
Could you please try it both when VSA is on and off?

Thanks!
I don't have the car today but maybe I'll see if the stock Odyssey has any hesitation at the vtec crossover... Is Hondata working on the Ody flash??? hehe.

Anyway, when I tried it yesterday and paid attention in sportshift right around 5,000 rpm in 1st and 2nd gears, I didn't feel any noticeable hesitation. Like I said, with the 5AT in general there are a few spots here and there where torque drops off and my point is that Hondata did not create any new hesitation spots.

That was all with VSA in default "On" mode.
But I'm not sure how VSA would play a role in this particular situation...