Header/EM Topic #98465

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 11:40 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Header/EM Topic #98465

Sorry for another header topic and I know there are a lot but I want all the info/opinions/thoughts/whatnot that I want to know in one topic instead of being scattered throughout the whole forum and previous years.

I'm not asking about stuff like "which header should I get/which one is better/what's out there?". I've already done some research and have abused the search button quite enough for a few days and decided on the TODA Racing exhaust manifolds. And that's where it gets messy.

I originally wanted the Mugen headers and saved up for that... but unfortunately, Kingmotorsports decided to bump up the price by a RIDICULOUS amount ($2000-->$2600+). I might be somewhat of a sucker for JDM and a bit wasteful of my money but I'm not that retarded. That extra $600+ could yield me the JDM headlights on my wishlist. So... I turn to TODA.

What I grasped from SEARCH and the questions I have:

1. It cost $1200 - no problem; after saving up for mugen, anything looks pretty affordable now.

2. It's for the CL7 so fitment modification is needed - It's not the same as the mugen header fitment issue is it?

3. It's not CARB legal; "for competition use only"- I understand a bit about this out of context but I'll ask anyway... What is "CARB Legal"? Any way to make not illegal?

4. Hissing noise at 3k rpm - happens the same way as the comptech rattle? There's only like a single post about this so it wasn't very clear but it doesn't seem to be a problem at all.

5. The Cat- I read that I might need to order the JDM Euro R cat or another custom made one... but will the RT cat work?

6. My '07 TSX is an AT with no reflash/tuning so I'm well aware of the potential I'm wasting with this header but I'm getting in hope that one day I'll be able to utilize it... - So what kinda power gain am I looking at with this?

7. Anything I need to know if I'm gonna be connecting this with the Mugen Exhaust System?

8. Alternative header - What about Feels? I can't find any info nor do I know where to order it. Searching "Feels" is very hard. Any help is much appreciated.

9. I'll still go after the Mugen headers if I can get my hands on it for under 2200... I see that Boomplustoys carry mugen parts but are they not an official distributor? No one ever refers to them for ordering mugen parts.

This is all I want to clear up before breaking my piggy bank. I know I could make my life a helluva lot easier if I just go Comptech header and Mugen Exhaust but no, I'm too anal and "impurities" (rattle) WILL tick me off. I also want something that's a bit more unique so yea.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me break this wall of text I've just dropped
Old 03-30-2008, 12:20 AM
Is waiting in

1. Not a question

2 & 3 & 5. Shadowlegz is the only one I recall that was running a TODA header, but he's ghost now. Fitment may be due to the requirement of a JDM Catalytic converter/test pipe, so you will have to do something to accommodate. You'll be CARB exempt for what, two more years? So you don't need to pass an emissions test since you have a brand new car ($10 inspection). If you want, you can customize the flanges for an RT Cat to fit on it.

4. You won't really know of any rattles until you actually install whichever header you choose. Comptech's header rattle is a problem with all automatic TSX(s).

6. Without a Hondata Reflash or any other form of engine management, you won't unlock the full potential, but you will feel the car responding better and notice the low end gains. I say ~5whp and some equivalent torque

7. Once you have your solution for your meow meow then any exhaust should bolt up no problem.

8. There is the Feel's header, but your right, not too much information on it. You also have the J's Racing header out and there's also the Maxim Works header which international members claim to be the best.

9. I've had good customer service with BoomPlusToys, so if they have a price that interests you then why not.

I'm not an expert, but those are my conclusions based on the knowledge I have gathered and I was bored and felt like doing something other than my research paper for class
Old 03-30-2008, 07:43 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
You could consider HyTech @ $1300. John has the US Patent on Anti-Reversion:

http://www.hytechexhaust.com/who_we_...rev_theory.htm
Old 03-30-2008, 02:55 PM
is glad to be back!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Zyuan10
Sorry for another header topic and I know there are a lot but I want all the info/opinions/thoughts/whatnot that I want to know in one topic instead of being scattered throughout the whole forum and previous years.

I'm not asking about stuff like "which header should I get/which one is better/what's out there?". I've already done some research and have abused the search button quite enough for a few days and decided on the TODA Racing exhaust manifolds. And that's where it gets messy.

I originally wanted the Mugen headers and saved up for that... but unfortunately, Kingmotorsports decided to bump up the price by a RIDICULOUS amount ($2000-->$2600+). I might be somewhat of a sucker for JDM and a bit wasteful of my money but I'm not that retarded. That extra $600+ could yield me the JDM headlights on my wishlist. So... I turn to TODA.

What I grasped from SEARCH and the questions I have:

1. It cost $1200 - no problem; after saving up for mugen, anything looks pretty affordable now.

2. It's for the CL7 so fitment modification is needed - It's not the same as the mugen header fitment issue is it?

3. It's not CARB legal; "for competition use only"- I understand a bit about this out of context but I'll ask anyway... What is "CARB Legal"? Any way to make not illegal?

4. Hissing noise at 3k rpm - happens the same way as the comptech rattle? There's only like a single post about this so it wasn't very clear but it doesn't seem to be a problem at all.

5. The Cat- I read that I might need to order the JDM Euro R cat or another custom made one... but will the RT cat work?

6. My '07 TSX is an AT with no reflash/tuning so I'm well aware of the potential I'm wasting with this header but I'm getting in hope that one day I'll be able to utilize it... - So what kinda power gain am I looking at with this?

7. Anything I need to know if I'm gonna be connecting this with the Mugen Exhaust System?

8. Alternative header - What about Feels? I can't find any info nor do I know where to order it. Searching "Feels" is very hard. Any help is much appreciated.

9. I'll still go after the Mugen headers if I can get my hands on it for under 2200... I see that Boomplustoys carry mugen parts but are they not an official distributor? No one ever refers to them for ordering mugen parts.

This is all I want to clear up before breaking my piggy bank. I know I could make my life a helluva lot easier if I just go Comptech header and Mugen Exhaust but no, I'm too anal and "impurities" (rattle) WILL tick me off. I also want something that's a bit more unique so yea.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me break this wall of text I've just dropped
like rex said, i only know of shadowlegz that was running the Toda Header.

2. not too sure if the exact same problem will occur with the Toda. however, i would believe so since it is designed for the CL7 and not CL9.

3. we don't have to worry about that here in hawaii so can't help you there

4. you shouldn't really worry about that hissing noise. if it does bother you, just turn your radio up

5. if you're gonna be ordering the Mugen exhaust system too, then you don't have to worry about buying a JDM cat since the Mugen system already comes with a cat. and like rex said, you can customize the flanges for the RT Cat to fit on it.

6. with no flash/tuning i would expect the gains to be minimal. of course i'd also think that it'd get better gains than a non RH.

7. it should bolt right up with no problems since the Mugen exhaust system comes with it's own cat.

8. AJ Racing can bring in the Feels header. try emailing them and see if they know any more info on it

9. i believe boomplustoys orders all their parts from AJ Racing. or at least that's what i heard.

good luck on your decisions.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:59 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
CARB stands for the California Air Resource Board or something like that. They assign numbers to products that do not increase air pollution (by a certain amount). In Cali, a modded part has to have a sticker with the product's CARB number, or else it'll fail the visual inspection. Modded cars are everywhere here, however, so most people don't even look for the sticker when doing an inspection. If you don't want it to be illegal, maybe go on the header company's behalf and spend alot of money for CARB to research it and give it the okay. Otherwise, you'll have to wait and see if the company seeks CARB approval. Even if it's not CARB legal, it may or may not increase pollution. I easily pass smog with an intake that's not CARB legal.

Almost every mod says "for competition use only". That way, they can't be held liable for idiots who like to shift the blame. "Oh, officer...I didn't realize I was going fast. Ever since I installed these headers, the car goes faster than the speedo shows. I guess I should sue them."
Old 03-31-2008, 12:41 AM
Racer

Thanks for the answers, everyone! It made things a lot easier and clearer.

Guess I don't have to worry about the CARB thing and the cat problem should be out of the way if the Mugen exhaust comes with it...

Guess I'm set?
Old 03-31-2008, 01:45 AM
is glad to be back!

sorry man I made a mistake. The Mugen cat only comes with the header, not with the exhaust system.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:47 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by tsxdriver
sorry man I made a mistake. The Mugen cat only comes with the header, not with the exhaust system.
http://darthno.ytmnd.com/

ahhh... I was confused about that and thought "so the header and exhaust both comes with a cat o_0?" but I didn't want to question it in hopes that it is true haha
Old 03-31-2008, 09:47 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,750 Likes on 2,534 Posts
Also it wasnt king motorsports that raised the prices mugen has raised there prices on there own in a result to try to make there products more rare for some reason.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:36 AM
is glad to be back!

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
Also it wasnt king motorsports that raised the prices mugen has raised there prices on there own in a result to try to make there products more rare for some reason.
that's pretty dirty since their parts were expensive before too
Old 03-31-2008, 10:37 AM
is glad to be back!

http://darthno.ytmnd.com/

ahhh... I was confused about that and thought "so the header and exhaust both comes with a cat o_0?" but I didn't want to question it in hopes that it is true haha
yeah sorry about that man
Old 04-05-2008, 11:18 PM
Racer

I checked out the J's Racing header and it seems to be in the same situation as TODA; it needs some sort of cat mod in order to fit on the K24A.

But back to TODA... so the easiest way to solve the problem is to get the JDM cat...okay.. When some of you mentioned "customized" a cat to fit on, what exactly are you referring to? Like physically altering the shape of it by bending/drilling/pounding/welding/whatever?

I'm still new to the header mod thing so I'm doing ALL the homework and actually get a visual understanding of how everything works (for my particular header of choice) before blowing my money. I want to understand the mod I want to do!... hence this topic