Fog Light Protection

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 08:43 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fog Light Protection

What are you using to protect your fog lights? Any caveats?

I've done extensive searches on this subject, but haven't found a definitive solution to the problem. Amongst the feedback I've read...

- Don't use protective film as it will brown (due to the heat)
- Don't use protective film as it may cause the fogs to crack (due to th heat)
- It's ok to use protective film as long as you don't run the fogs very often

I did see this mod which looks like a creative solution. However, I'd really prefer to not change the look of the fog lamps.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-11-2005, 04:53 PM
Burning Brakes

i made a mesh grille for mine that was way less involved and looks cleaner than another poster on this board did. i painted my screens black and they look hot on a black car.
however when i get the time i plan to remove them and have them powder coated to keep the rocks from chipping off the paint and hopefully they will stay black.
personally at 100 bucks a pop for the lense and after 2 lenses i decided to try somthing that not only looks cool but doesnt need any maintenence and so far no cracks.
Old 09-11-2005, 05:33 PM
Intermediate

Any pics you can share?
Old 09-12-2005, 07:40 AM
Intermediate

Anybody have any long term success with a film (clear bra)?
Old 09-12-2005, 09:08 AM
ABP TSX

Originally Posted by bryhogan
Any pics you can share?
This THREAD has some pics of a board member who installed some guards on the fog light housing.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:49 AM
Burning Brakes

yea thats the pics i saw but the wire ties on them make them look Ghetto, i made mine so they actually bolt to the foglight assembly and sit flush with the plastic housing. they look like they belong there. ill have to get some pics
Old 09-12-2005, 10:55 AM
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
there are a few folks with a clear film called Lamin-X, so far they have not had any issues with browning, etc.. I will be ordering some in the coming week or two and will let you all know how it goes...
Old 09-12-2005, 05:33 PM
Advanced

I've read in other threads that if you use the 20mil film on the fogs, it will brown over time, but if you use the 40 mil, it's fine. I plan on getting 20 mil for headlights, and 40 mil for fogs... hopefully that will work
Old 09-13-2005, 12:39 AM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Kris05TSX
I've read in other threads that if you use the 20mil film on the fogs, it will brown over time, but if you use the 40 mil, it's fine. I plan on getting 20 mil for headlights, and 40 mil for fogs... hopefully that will work
um....the last time I checked, the 40mil I have on for my fogs right now do have a slight brownage

I'll check tomorrow to see just to make sure it wasn't a crapload of dead bugs on it...
Old 09-13-2005, 08:40 AM
Burning Brakes

i dont know the brand name of the really thick film i put on my fogs but it sounds like the same stuff you guys are talking about. not only did it brown but one of them burnt to a black crisp. i found out they will actually start smoking if you are sitting still. if you are driving the added air keeps them just cool enough that they wont burn.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:33 AM
Intermediate

Weathertech Solution

Has ANYBODY had success with a clear bra on their fogs? (Success meaning no breakage and no browning.)

This product from Weathertech looks like it has potential as they state "has built-in ultraviolet inhibitors that guarantee it will never dry, harden or discolor for as long as you own your vehicle.".
Old 09-17-2005, 10:25 AM
Old fart

Originally Posted by TSX 'R' US
um....the last time I checked, the 40mil I have on for my fogs right now do have a slight brownage

I'll check tomorrow to see just to make sure it wasn't a crapload of dead bugs on it...
yup...slight brownage on my passenger side fog light, but fine on driver side...
Old 09-17-2005, 11:17 AM
Instructor

Has ANYBODY had success with a clear bra on their fogs? (Success meaning no breakage and no browning.)

This product from Weathertech looks like it has potential as they state "has built-in ultraviolet inhibitors that guarantee it will never dry, harden or discolor for as long as you own your vehicle.".
I was researching this a couple wks ago and then got busy... TSX 'R' US has an experimental one from Rockblocker. People are having some success with the Lamin-X bras (http://www.lamin-x.com/)... You have to buy the bulk-uncut sheets... It's rated up to 300 degrees... the TSX fogs get up in the 200s hence all those clear bras rated for 200 are browning..
Old 09-17-2005, 12:11 PM
BDI
Banned

I bought yellow fog light covers from ebay. Not sure how thick they are but they are fine. I've had them on my car for about 6 months now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acura...spagenameZWD1V
Old 09-17-2005, 03:54 PM
Old fart

Originally Posted by dmbfan36_23
I was researching this a couple wks ago and then got busy... TSX 'R' US has an experimental one from Rockblocker. People are having some success with the Lamin-X bras (http://www.lamin-x.com/)... You have to buy the bulk-uncut sheets... It's rated up to 300 degrees... the TSX fogs get up in the 200s hence all those clear bras rated for 200 are browning..
Actually...I got mine installed through a distributor from XPel's website... My original ones were on before Rockblocker became a vendor here
Old 09-27-2005, 07:20 PM
Intermediate

Just to update everybody.... I purchased and applied the Weathertech "LampGards" to my fogs last week. (Took about 30 minutes, by the book.) So far, I'm very impressed. I cannot believe how thick this stuff is (40 mil)! Nonetheless, only time will tell if they prove effective.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:34 PM
Instructor

I have had success with my fogs and the clear film provided to me from Rockblocker. After trial and error-trial and error, they finally provided me with a film that has lasted for over 4 months now w/no browning.

The first two sets that Rockblocker provided me with would brown fairly quickly after prolonged usage of my fogs. One of the guys there then provided me with a film that had more thickness and a different type of glue on it. I have since had no problems.

The company is Rockblocker and they can usually be found under Group Buys. Their site is simply: www.rockblocker.com

Keep in mind, I now only drive with my fogs on at night. I have driven with my fogs on for about an hour on a couple occassions w/still no browning.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:07 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bootlegged
I have had success with my fogs and the clear film provided to me from Rockblocker.
Originally Posted by dmbfan36_23
TSX 'R' US has an experimental one from Rockblocker.
Whooops, yeah Bootlegged is who I was talking about... I had PM'd a bunch of people when I was researching fog light clear bras... Aside from Bootlegged the only other success stories I've heard are with the Lamin-X ones (http://www.lamin-x.com/)
Old 10-25-2005, 09:06 AM
Banned

Maybe we can shed some light on this subject.

First off everyone is using the same makeup of product. Some of the differences are the thickness and the adhesive. There are also other factors that have to be considered.

Nobody offers a high temp film than others. They are all rated the same. One key to success that we have found on the TSX/Accord fog lights we learned from the Mazda 3 owners. When a light burns as hot as yours do,

You can make sure not to have the fog light on at a stand still for more than a couple of minutes. You need the cooler air moving over the protection and there wont be a problem

If you live in snow/ice country - Dont let the ice build up on the fog light while using it. It will cause the fog light to burn hotter and cause issues like burning of the film of cracking of the lense itself(with or without the film installed)

Since we went to a new adhesive and reminded customers of not leaving there fog lights on 24/7 we have not have one reported problem.

Hope this helps some.