Exedy Stage 1 Organic w/ Lightweight Flywheel HF02T

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 12:15 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exedy Stage 1 Organic w/ Lightweight Flywheel HF02T

Just copped this new clutch kit w/ lightweight flywheel.

Getting it installed tomorrow. I'll keep you posted on how it is. It supposedly has a 500 mile break in period.

Last edited by CJ Majesty; 01-22-2009 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:38 PM
Time to Climb

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
nice purchase, def keep us posted
Old 01-22-2009, 01:11 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Good stuff. Makes me wish I had 6mt, since I'm not in traffic a whole lot anymore. Can't do anything reasonable with an AT.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:15 PM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Very nice. How much does the lightweight flywheel weigh?
Old 01-22-2009, 02:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Great setup. It will hold about 20% more tq than factory.

The HF02 from Exedy weighs about 9 lbs.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:37 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Holy crap, isn't stock like 22 pounds?
Old 01-22-2009, 04:46 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Excelerate
Great setup. It will hold about 20% more tq than factory.

The HF02 from Exedy weighs about 9 lbs.
Yeah it feels pretty light.

Sorry I couldnt take the trip up there like we discussed, I didnt have enough days off & im going on to the pocono's next week. I found a local shop that saved me a little bit of time, and was able to do it before I left.

As with any mod I do to this car you guys will get a full write up. The guy also said he would save the parts for me so as always expect lots of b4 and after pics.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:35 AM
Pro

Ive been up since 4:30am I can't sleep....

"I am very EXCITE"

I guess im just anxious to see how it comes out.

Wish me luck im off to NRG to drop the car off.

Never dealt with a speedshop before only dealers.

Ill have a write up by this afternoon.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:17 PM
Racer

Afternoon has come and gone
Let us know what you think.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:51 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by TodaSi
Afternoon has come and gone
Let us know what you think.
I kno im late

I picked the car up around 9PM.

My girl has been driving me around all day, I have to cook dinner first, before I post the write up.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:24 PM
Pro

Heres the list:
Its not the night and Day difference I thought it would be.
But it starts up a lil quicker
I Dont have to downshift as much.
revs go up and down quicker

when I first start the car in the morning I get a whine
In 2nd & 3rd.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:28 AM
Pro

More impressions: ok I drove in to work today and I was running a little late. There is a 500 mile break-in period so I didn't got totally crazy. But I'm slowly starting to see the benefits.
When I picked it up yesterday the first thing I noticed was that the clutch pedal was extremly light. Probably because I was used to a bad clutch.
The car feels lighter. You have to step on the gas just a smidge more but the revs rise quick, so its not a major inconvienience. The thrust i used to get is gone ,like there was an increase in horsepower with a decrease in torque, but overall your going faster it just doesnt pin you to the seat.
The drive home from the shop reminded me of the drive home in my new civic back in 98. The car feels light. & the shifts are butter smooth.

Last edited by CJ Majesty; 01-25-2009 at 03:32 AM.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:12 AM
Special-K

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CJ Majesty
More impressions: ok I drove in to work today and I was running a little late. There is a 500 mile break-in period so I didn't got totally crazy. But I'm slowly starting to see the benefits.
When I picked it up yesterday the first thing I noticed was that the clutch pedal was extremly light. Probably because I was used to a bad clutch.
The car feels lighter. You have to step on the gas just a smidge more but the revs rise quick, so its not a major inconvienience. The thrust i used to get is gone ,like there was an increase in horsepower with a decrease in torque, but overall your going faster it just doesnt pin you to the seat.
The drive home from the shop reminded me of the drive home in my new civic back in 98. The car feels light. & the shifts are butter smooth.
Its a clutch and flywheel setup.. its not suppose to pin you to the seat. Your really not gaining that type of HP from the flywheel. Break it in and then post impressions.. my stage 2 exedy was stiff in the break in period and grabs pretty hard.. thats what a clutch/flywheel is suppose to do.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:51 AM
Pro

Im not knockin the set up.

Originally Posted by PrecyseStylez
Its a clutch and flywheel setup.. its not suppose to pin you to the seat. Your really not gaining that type of HP from the flywheel. Break it in and then post impressions.. my stage 2 exedy was stiff in the break in period and grabs pretty hard.. thats what a clutch/flywheel is suppose to do.
I think you misunderstood me, maybe I should clarify. I didnt expect any horsepower gain from the set up. But the set up feels like it frees up some of the horsepower that was caught up in the flywheel before. I mentioned the Hp/torque thing because I dont know any other way to describe the difference in acceleration. It feels like im driving a lighter Honda.
I think I mentioned that Im still breaking it in and im not going crazy with it. So im not going to know how much more its going to grab vs stock yet. Its not going to grab like yours because yours is a stage 2. I read every thread you posted, regarding your set up before I made my decision, to purchase this one. I also spoke to Josh about it. I have no mods so your clutch on my car is an overkill.

The pedal doesnt feel stiff to me, its ALOT lighter than my stock clutch. But thats probably because my stock clutch was going.
@ the 90,000 mile service Acura told me I needed a new clutch, and wanted $1400.00. I replaced everything because I was having trouble getting the car into gear and shifting. The grab was fine. That problem is fixed.

The problem I have now is that 2nd & 3rd gears are whining for the first 10-20 minutes of driving the car.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Just and FYI, watch for your master cylinder prematurely failing. Given my stiffer clutch setup, I'm replacing my master and slave clutch cylinders at 90k miles. It was giving me the standard clicking issue early on, so I'm fairly certain that the improved clutch caused it to fail sooner.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:46 AM
Special-K

I wouldnt say that having a stage 2 is over kill.. my girlfriend drove my car for the first time 2 weeks ago and said she liked how my clutch felt compared to her car (Hyundai Elantra). She's not into modding cars or anything like that and i told her that she might even stall when first driving it.. but she got in and took off like it was nothing..haha. Its one thing if someone tells you about how stiff something might be but you just have to drive a car with a stge2 setup and you'll see that it may be what you've been looking for. The stge1 is more less just a replacement to the OEM clutch with the benefit of using a aftermarket flywheel.. and at the same time it may wear faster than your stock clutch did since it is a performance upgrade. You could've went with the stock acura clutch and then got the Fidanza lightweight flywheel..
Old 01-26-2009, 11:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The stge1 is more less just a replacement to the OEM clutch with the benefit of using a aftermarket flywheel.. and at the same time it may wear faster than your stock clutch did since it is a performance upgrade.
How's an oem replacement clutch = performance upgrade and wears faster?
Old 01-27-2009, 01:33 AM
Pro

Its one thing if someone tells you about how stiff something might be but you just have to drive a car with a stge2 setup and you'll see that it may be what you've been looking for. The stge1 is more less just a replacement to the OEM clutch with the benefit of using a aftermarket flywheel.. and at the same time it may wear faster than your stock clutch did since it is a performance upgrade. You could've went with the stock acura clutch and then got the Fidanza lightweight flywheel..
I was informed that Daikin made the clutch for Acura by numerous sources online & the rep I spoke to from exedy. So nothing against Fidanza but I chose the exedy set up because after getting 90,000 out of my stock clutch I can say I trust the company.
When I contacted Exedy the Rep @ exedy told me If I dont plan to mod the car past basic bolt ons ( Hi ...yeah thats me) Then Stage 2 is not required. I know I could have got one, But I didnt ! Im not by any means down playing the effectiveness of your clutch. In fact im admitting that it is a performance upgrade, that out performs the item I bought.
So maybe I shouldn't say overkill... Maybe I should say Performance upgrade I felt I didn't need, so I decided not to purchase.
But just for sh!ts & Giggles When this "OEM upgrade" wears out Ill get a stage 2. Scouts Honor.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:41 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by JTso

In fact the exedy rep told me in response to my question..."is this stage 1 organic going to last longer than my stock clutch?" The purpose of a stage 1 is holding power above OEM, So... no if you want the same performance get another oem clutch we sell that too. This is an upgrade, but the life may not be as long.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:45 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by moda_way
Just and FYI, watch for your master cylinder prematurely failing. Given my stiffer clutch setup, I'm replacing my master and slave clutch cylinders at 90k miles. It was giving me the standard clicking issue early on, so I'm fairly certain that the improved clutch caused it to fail sooner.
Thanks! What about my gears whining. Did Any of you have 2nd &3rd gear whining.

One the car warms up it fine. But im still worried. I dont wanna have to buy a new tranny...New trannies are fcuk loads of money...I dont like to spend fcukloads of money on anything but booze & hookers... I just dont want 2nd & 3rd gears to take my booze & hookers away..
Old 01-27-2009, 09:12 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I haven't heard a single report of any of 6mt failing. Actually there was one guy but I think he had been in there messing around and swapping gears from other cars (RSX IIRC). I wouldn't be too worried about it crapping out but it couldn't hurt to change out the tranny oil if it's not been done in a while. I would think it would have been done when the clutch was changed though.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:48 AM
Special-K

Originally Posted by JTso
OEM replacement is buying an Acura OEM part.. thats why an Exedy stage1 clutch is actually a performance/aftermarket upgrade.. oh and the lighter flywheel.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
OEM replacement is buying an Acura OEM part.. thats why an Exedy stage1 clutch is actually a performance/aftermarket upgrade.. oh and the lighter flywheel.
You said "The stge1 is more less just a replacement to the OEM clutch". But you also called it a performance upgrade?
Old 01-27-2009, 11:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by moda_way
I've been reading up on this lately. This seems to occur only with pucked clutches on the K Series with higher tq ratings. So it shouldn't occur on anything under Stage 3.

http://k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=33561

If this link is edited it's:

http://k 2 0 a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=33561
Old 01-27-2009, 11:14 AM
Former Sponsor

In fact the exedy rep told me in response to my question..."is this stage 1 organic going to last longer than my stock clutch?" The purpose of a stage 1 is holding power above OEM, So... no if you want the same performance get another oem clutch we sell that too. This is an upgrade, but the life may not be as long.
Daikin makes the OE clutch for Acura/Honda. Daikin/Exedy are pretty much the same company, except Exedy is the performance division.

The Exedy Stg 1 holds 20% more tq than stock. It is not an OE clutch. It is organic and it will engage similar to the OE clutch kit but slightly more aggressively.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:33 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Excelerate
Daikin makes the OE clutch for Acura/Honda. Daikin/Exedy are pretty much the same company, except Exedy is the performance division.

The Exedy Stg 1 holds 20% more tq than stock. It is not an OE clutch. It is organic and it will engage similar to the OE clutch kit but slightly more aggressively.
Thank You Josh, hopefully this will put an end to Precyse Stylez argument because for some reason he wasn't listening to me when I said it.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:51 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by LukeaTron
I haven't heard a single report of any of 6mt failing. Actually there was one guy but I think he had been in there messing around and swapping gears from other cars (RSX IIRC). I wouldn't be too worried about it crapping out but it couldn't hurt to change out the tranny oil if it's not been done in a while. I would think it would have been done when the clutch was changed though.
Yeah the fluid was changed when I did the clutch, he used Honda MTF.
& I remember that guy I think he swapped out two gears from the RSX for better acceleration.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:47 PM
1st Gear

is how is the new clutch working for u is it good cuz i have to get a new clutch for my car just wondering?
Old 02-06-2009, 04:48 PM
Intermediate

i put the stage 1 exedy and so far no whine but my clutch master cylinder went out, not because of the clutch
Old 02-07-2009, 08:52 AM
Special-K

Thank You Josh, hopefully this will put an end to Precyse Stylez argument because for some reason he wasn't listening to me when I said it.
How do you figure that?.. I read everything you wrote and Josh basically just said what i've been saying.. regardless its aftermarket and its a performance upgrade since it gives you 20% more torque compacity than stock. Im just giving my that going stage2 isnt as bad as you make think it is.. its not that aggressive. But hope that stage1 works for your driving habits . An upgrade is an upgrade..
Old 02-14-2009, 07:34 AM
Instructor

Thanks! What about my gears whining. Did Any of you have 2nd &3rd gear whining.

One the car warms up it fine. But im still worried. I dont wanna have to buy a new tranny...New trannies are fcuk loads of money...I dont like to spend fcukloads of money on anything but booze & hookers... I just dont want 2nd & 3rd gears to take my booze & hookers away..
I also did this exact clutch and flywheel replacement a couple months ago and I'm sorry to tell you I have no whine in any gears.

Sorry.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:03 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by SPARKIE
I also did this exact clutch and flywheel replacement a couple months ago and I'm sorry to tell you I have no whine in any gears.

Sorry.
Yeah I kno my Tranny needs a band aid. I Spoke to a guy @ Acura and he said it sounds like anywhere from one to a few of the teeth in 2nd and 3rd gear...the "Hammer gears" (he actually called them that) are missing. & thats what is causing the whinning, and I can carry out the existence of the car with no problem. Either that or its the main bearing...in which case im FUCT!! and it'll only be a matter of time before I need a rebuild....(the F part is my interpretation)
Old 02-16-2009, 03:06 AM
Pro

I have my final review of the set up... but im to fuct up 2 tipe iyt!