dzuy's impression of comptech intake, exhaust and header

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006 | 10:21 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

yea i figured out what the rattling was.

when i installed the cat i bought from jtso, it wasnt on tight. so i had an exhuast leak

i took it to a shop to get installed and they put it on right.

then after that, no more rattle

then shortly after that, no more jtso cat - but a random cat
Old 02-28-2006 | 10:41 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by drkangel348
Dzuy the rattling problem could be from the Comptech Header. When I had Comptech's header installed on my car, the flex pipe seemed to be too stiff and it did not dampen the vibration well.

Everytime at idle or at stop lights there would be a rattling noise that can be heard from within the cabin. I sold the headers and reinstalled the stock headers since the problem annoyed me so much.
Was the idle rattle occuring in gear? or did it occur in park/neutral as well? I'm curious if this is similar to my idle rattle.. It only occurs when i'm idling in drive and it goes away when i shift to park or neutral. I have the comptech header and random hi flo cat installed, but this idle rattle also occured when my car was completely stock. I'm trying to figure out what the heck it is. Just like DZUY, i can only hear the rattle inside the car. When i get out, i don't hear anything. This thing has been driving me crazy for ever and even the dealer is stumped.
Old 02-28-2006 | 10:51 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by NJTSXMan
Was the idle rattle occuring in gear? or did it occur in park/neutral as well? I'm curious if this is similar to my idle rattle.. It only occurs when i'm idling in drive and it goes away when i shift to park or neutral. I have the comptech header and random hi flo cat installed, but this idle rattle also occured when my car was completely stock. I'm trying to figure out what the heck it is. Just like DZUY, i can only hear the rattle inside the car. When i get out, i don't hear anything. This thing has been driving me crazy for ever and even the dealer is stumped.

Only in gear (D) with my 5AT, in neutral or park the sound went away.
Old 02-28-2006 | 11:05 PM
Pro

Only in gear (D) with my 5AT, in neutral or park the sound went away.
Hmm.. interesting.. My idle rattle only occurs in (D) gear too on my 5AT. Did it always occur for you or was it random? It occurs at random times for me, and it even did so with my stock header (all stock parts).. I also complained to the dealers but they could never reproduce the problem. Now that I have the comptech header and hi flo cat.. it still happens.. My rattle sounds like it is coming from behind the stereo and it sounds like a fast plastic on plastic rattle.. Can you describe how the rattle sounded like for you? thanks.
Old 03-11-2006 | 05:40 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by NJTSXMan
Hmm.. interesting.. My idle rattle only occurs in (D) gear too on my 5AT. Did it always occur for you or was it random? It occurs at random times for me, and it even did so with my stock header (all stock parts).. I also complained to the dealers but they could never reproduce the problem. Now that I have the comptech header and hi flo cat.. it still happens.. My rattle sounds like it is coming from behind the stereo and it sounds like a fast plastic on plastic rattle.. Can you describe how the rattle sounded like for you? thanks.

It always occured with the Comptech header but as soon as I reinstalled the stock header the rattling went away. But this happened after my DC sports header seperated at the flex pipe and I had to drive home from San Diego to LA (115+mi drive) with the exhaust just hanging off of the hangers so maybe that had something to do with it too. I bought the Comptech header as a replacement for the DC sports header right after that happened.
Old 03-11-2006 | 10:40 AM
Instructor

It always occured with the Comptech header but as soon as I reinstalled the stock header the rattling went away. But this happened after my DC sports header seperated at the flex pipe and I had to drive home from San Diego to LA (115+mi drive) with the exhaust just hanging off of the hangers so maybe that had something to do with it too. I bought the Comptech header as a replacement for the DC sports header right after that happened.
I have this rattle too. I have managed to get it to a very minimal level by installing firmer ehxaust hangers. Once these heat up though the rattle comes back slightly. Also, it isn't as bad when the A/T is off.
Old 06-09-2006 | 10:49 PM
Instructor

Ahh...so that's why i have this rattle when the car is stopped at idle in D.

I also have the comptech header and have this constant rattle at times. I thought it might have been a bad install but i guess the header is too stiff where it'll rattle.
Old 06-09-2006 | 11:58 PM
CL9 ABP

I got the rattles too I watched the install for comptech ehaders there is a inch gap that they pull the exhaust closer to the headers.

This causes the exhaust especially aftermarket to rattle against the swaybar. I had the mechanics fix my exhaust hangers by bending the far left one away from the sway bar so i get no more rattles jsut vibration from the engine and everything when the ac compressor turns on.

But its nothing what i ahd before idle or drive i had the shakes like metal banging .

Its an swaybar issue try lifting the car and check the clearance.

I have injen cai comptech headers
and fujitsubo exhaust along with neuspeed rear sway.
Old 06-10-2006 | 12:07 AM
CL9 ABP

To add I own rmatics fujitsubo exhaust, it is a deeper tone and from the fuddruckers meet i think comptech is way louder it has quiet tip inserts.

I like my exhaust its nice because unlike chyllins dc exhaust it was annoying in the cabin at first but you get used to it

People just think my engine is loud when i'm accelerating and many do not notice i have a new exhaust.

I like fujitsubo although i can't hear the damn thing really sound inside the car but i got to hear it before i did the swap with rmatic.

Along with letting my friends race around my car.

The sound after headers increased the exhaust tone, it really makes my car sound liek vroom vroom when i rev it.

My friend's parents find it to be a race car but it is bareable.
Old 06-12-2006 | 09:54 AM
Instructor

So the rattle is coming from the stiff flexpipe? My mechanic did mention that the exhaust hanger was a bit worn and cracked so should i replace that with a newer one so that it'll be a firmer fit?

Any other way to reduce the rattle while in D or R? Sometimes it gets bad where when I have my foot on the brakes my foot shakes LOL
Old 06-12-2006 | 09:57 AM
I spend 2 much time here

i have noticed a slight rattle from my comptech header install as well. only happens once and a while when i have the car stopped at a standstill.
Old 06-12-2006 | 11:33 AM
Instructor

I just installed my Comptech header a couple of days ago, and have NO rattles or any problems whatsoever. In fact, I haven't noticed any increase in sound levels at all over the stock manifold. Are you using the stock cat? I'm using the stock cat, and made sure to torque everything down to specifications.
Old 06-12-2006 | 12:27 PM
I spend 2 much time here

stock cat yes
Old 06-13-2006 | 10:18 AM
ABP TSX

Originally Posted by jiggaman
i have noticed a slight rattle from my comptech header install as well. only happens once and a while when i have the car stopped at a standstill.
I have had the rattle since the Comptech Header was installed. The rattle was still there after the RTC install a few weeks after the Header was installed.
Old 06-13-2006 | 10:27 AM
I spend 2 much time here

do you think its just the sounds of detonation coming from the engine?
Old 06-13-2006 | 12:26 PM
ABP TSX

I am not sure what the rattle/vibration exactly is ....

I even removed and reinstalled mine and have the same problem. I have triple checked the header/cat torque settings and nothing has fixed the problem. I also added the Napa exhaust hangers. My wife swears she cannot hear the rattle outside the car but we both can verify it in the car.
Old 06-13-2006 | 03:37 PM
CL9 ABP

Yea i can't figure that out either gsclifton, before i knew it was hitting the rear sway, now it just seems to be shaking the whole system.

maybe replace some more of the hangers. I'm going check them all someone told me that his was torn and caused the rattles.
Old 06-13-2006 | 03:42 PM
Team Owner

What are the clearences between the the header and other parts. When you accelerate the torque may shift the engine (and header) slightly, but enough to make contact with other parts. Just guessing here.
Old 06-13-2006 | 03:57 PM
CL9 ABP

Well when you add comptech headers you have to pull the cat and exhaust system almost a inch closer to the headers to connect. That also creates alot of rattles with the rear sway and exhaust depending if either are aftermarket.

Fix the hangers and it should work, although my left side hangers lower cuz its would be too close to the sway bar.
Old 06-13-2006 | 06:12 PM
Pro

I get an occassional exhaust rattle and vibration when idling in drive or reverse. In addition to the comptech header, I also have the random tech hi flow cat. I am still using the stock exhaust though. I don't know how to fix it.
Old 06-13-2006 | 06:22 PM
I spend 2 much time here

i have determined that the vibration only happens when my AC is turned on and i am parked, and is sporadic, very strange...
Old 06-13-2006 | 11:28 PM
CL9 ABP

Yea I get the same thing jigga but its not that bad only can feel the car vibrate a bit more and make a light rattle sound only on the inside.