Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dc header questions...

whats the difference between stainless header
and ceramic coated headers? I'm planning to put a header on
but i dunno what the difference is...
Old 06-05-2005, 08:59 AM
Drives With Hands

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Generally: Stainless headers won't ever rust out on you. Ceramic headers consist of mild grade steel coated by ceramic, which functions as a heat shield and helps keep heat out of the engine compartment. If the coating is damaged the steel will be unprotected from the elements and will rust. Stainless costs significantly more as a raw material and it is slightly more difficult to fabricate parts from, so stainless parts will be more expensive.

As for the Comptech/DC headers, I have the Comptech and the quality of it is superb. However the DC header performs significantly better in our car while at the same time costing a lot less. There were originally some concerns about the quality of it (otherwise I'd have one) but DC has since fixed them.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:14 AM
send me a link to JDM??

I had read on another board (lol don't worry I won't say the name) that some people were having problems with cracking in the DC because of its ceramic nature. It was a few people in a row too although I forget the specific problem. I don't have one although if I get one its prolly gonna be the Comptech.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:33 AM
Advanced

so do you think it would be ok now?
since DC fixed those problems?
or has there still been same problems afterwards?
because i was thinking bout stainless DC headers
but i gotta do a lotta other mods so can't spend that much money on headers...
Old 06-05-2005, 09:46 AM
send me a link to JDM??

ah well... I was just referring to the DC ceramic headers. I dont know anything about DC stainless... someone else should step in here cause I don't really know what I'm talking about, I'm just relaying information I read
Old 06-05-2005, 11:45 AM
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
wait for TODA headers
Old 06-05-2005, 12:08 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Hey guys, sort of a hijack here

I tried searching for a simple answer, but found nothing...What are the risks of a header?

Aside from the possible rust and corrotion of the DC, can anything else go wrong because its on their? For example, you can hydrolock with the CAI. What "might" happen with the header?
Old 06-05-2005, 01:07 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't get DC Sports headers,
I've had both Comptech and DC headers, Comptech headers are by far superior, unless you like your headers to separate then go with DC.

I will get a dyno done soon but I feel as if the Comptech's actually give more power.

I don't see why people compare the vtec.net dyno of the DC sports headers which has other mods (SRI, Hondata IMG) with the standalone Comptech headers dyno.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:18 PM
Pro

When I switched from the DC sports headers to the Comptech's I immediately felt more low to mid range grunt and it reduced the vtec crossover hesitation (hondata).

It would be more fair to compare the "complete tuned" Comptech dyno against the DC sports vtec.net dyno. Since the Comptech header dyno uses a stock airbox and no Hondata IMG.

The dyno over @ vtec.net doesn't exactly give gain numbers just from the headers even though they do show a dyno with the stock headers with mods, there isn't a baseline dyno.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:20 PM
Jewdacris!!

From what i understand DC has fixed thier problems with the headers. So all the talk about them cracking should not matter anymore. There are still a few older ones out there, but with a simple tack weld you can fix the problem.

Its not a comptech but the gains to money ratio is better for the DC Sports one.

Unless someone can post a dyno proving the comptech provides more gains.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:23 PM
Pro

I had the "revised headers" which were taken directly from DC sports. I had them for less than 3 weeks and they seperated. I also noticed very poor welds inside of the headers at the 2 into 1 merge.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:26 PM
Banned

I think someone should contact DC sports, anyone from the forums to voice this problem to them. If they've fixed it completely there is no need for bad-blood...
Old 06-05-2005, 01:54 PM
Drives With Hands

Originally Posted by drkangel348
Don't get DC Sports headers,
I've had both Comptech and DC headers, Comptech headers are by far superior, unless you like your headers to separate then go with DC.

I will get a dyno done soon but I feel as if the Comptech's actually give more power.

I don't see why people compare the vtec.net dyno of the DC sports headers which has other mods (SRI, Hondata IMG) with the standalone Comptech headers dyno.
It is true that the dyno hp/tq figures cannot be directly compared. They wouldn't even be able to if they were both the same vehicle because dynamometers themselves are each unique. However what can be directly compared are the before/after graphs on each respective vehicle.

A few people have the older DC header and fixed it with a few preemptive tack welds on the flange/flex pipe union. Stokeless (I think) has the new version and he seemed to think it was constructed rather well. You'd have to ask them what they did differently, or you might have just got a crappy part.

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
Aside from the possible rust and corrotion of the DC, can anything else go wrong because its on their? For example, you can hydrolock with the CAI. What "might" happen with the header?
Nothing. Exhaust won't be any louder. No risks. Just more performance.
Old 06-05-2005, 02:10 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just put the DC headers on about 1 month ago and I'm very happy with them. I spent $10 and got some tack welds put in where the flange meets the flex pipe. I would definitely read this thread. I talk a lot about the DC headers and the install.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22258

Also, read JTso's DC thread for Dyno info.

When I did my comparisions I compared JTso's before and after DC dyno to the Dyno that Comptech released on their website. To be honest I'm not sure which header is really better. It's interesting to hear DarkAngel who's tried both say that he likes the Comptech better. He says that it reduces the hesitation, but the more I think about, the more I wonder if the hesitation is related having an Injen intake instead of the Comptech Icebox that Hondata designed their reflash around.
Old 06-05-2005, 02:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
There's no doubt that DC did have problems with the flex pipe coming apart, but I don't remember seeing any report that a repaired pipe still has the same problem. I'd be interested to see a pic of the flex joint on the "revised" header to determine if in fact you have received a fixed version.

It's also true that the header material used on the DC is simply ceramic coated mild steel and it's subject to rust if the coating is damaged.

While it's difficult to compare the actual dyno numbers but you can always compare the curve characteristics. Just like the Hondata reflash, the performance curves are very distinguish. When I compare my DC dyno against the one from TOV, the curves are very similar, especially the curves after vtec. Even the gains are similar.

TOV DC dyno:
http://sohc.vtec.net/article_files/3...x_dcheader.gif

JTso's DC dyno:

Here is Comptech's own header dyno for the TSX. It's difficult to see any low to mid range gain by looking at the chart... However, I'd be very interested to see an independent Comptech header test (before and after) for comparison.
http://www.comptechusa.com/images/dyno/tsx_header.pdf
Old 06-05-2005, 05:26 PM
Pro

I was told by the vendor I bought it from that the headers were a newer build after I questioned him about the problem other members were having.

When I get home tonight I'll take a picture of my DC sports headers.

Take into account that a "butt-dyno" is not accurate and I have no numbers to back up anything.

But you're right jtso, I too would like to see an independent test of both headers using a stock TSX.

I'm just pissed off and ranting about DC sports because I paid so much money for a product that failed on me after 3 weeks.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:52 PM
Tech

Heres a picture of both the Comptech and DC Sports header side by side with the Comptech being on the left.

(Since we're looking at the back of the motor, cylinder #1 would be on the far right.)

A well designed header will allow each cylinder's exhaust gas to exit through the entire exhaust manifold without having them hit each other. Which would mean equal length runners will be best.

When comparing both headers, it would seem that the Comptech is actually a better design with the length of each runner being about the same. #4 runner on the DC Sports header seem to be a little longer with it having to swing all the way across to the #1 runner. This means it would take longer for this cylinder's gases to exit since it'll linger in the runner longer. By the time #4 gas reaches the end of the manifold, #2 cylinder's gas(which fires immediately afterwards) with its shorter runner would probably collide with cylinder #4's gases.

However this is only MY OPINION, so no flammers, but would love to hear the opinion of others!!!
Old 06-07-2005, 10:27 AM
Drives With Hands

Originally Posted by TechSX
However this is only MY OPINION, so no flammers, but would love to hear the opinion of others!!!
Dyno results don't lie, the DC header is a superior design.

However looking at them you would think the opposite. A one piece design is more elegant, and stainless is by far a superior material than low carbon steel/ceramic. When I got my Comptech header I was really impressed by the quality of it. The picture doesn't do it justice.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:38 AM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

Originally Posted by jmathew34
wait for TODA headers
no, buy my comptech headers so I can buy the toda header haha

DC doesn't make stainless header for the tsx i believe.

only that ceramic crap that fades over time.

not to mention will crack.

well, i guess some members are saying that DC fixed that.

oh well.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:32 AM
send me a link to JDM??

Originally Posted by dzuy
no, buy my comptech headers so I can buy the toda header haha

DC doesn't make stainless header for the tsx i believe.

only that ceramic crap that fades over time.

not to mention will crack.

well, i guess some members are saying that DC fixed that.

oh well.
dzuy you selling your comptech headers?
Old 06-07-2005, 11:36 AM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

Originally Posted by TSX.Fury
dzuy you selling your comptech headers?
i intend on selling my headers if the toda headers are released - i have a contact that said he can get it for a decent price if it does.

i've been pmed by a few other members here about it.

dont worry, if i sell anything off my car, all of you will know.

Old 06-07-2005, 11:42 AM
send me a link to JDM??

lol ok well looks like some people are already ahead of me. Let me know if you need a buyer
Old 06-07-2005, 12:10 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rmpage

However looking at them you would think the opposite. A one piece design is more elegant, and stainless is by far a superior material than low carbon steel/ceramic. When I got my Comptech header I was really impressed by the quality of it. The picture doesn't do it justice.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:20 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by rmpage

There is no known stock header dyno comparison that supports your arguement.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:26 PM
Pro

Unless jtso's dyno is a baseline before and header after dyno then I have yet to see a fair comparison between the 2 headers.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:42 PM
Pro

Supposedly vtec.net was suppose to release another article featuring the Comptech headers on the same dynometer and car used with the DC sports headers, but I don't know what happened.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Unless jtso's dyno is a baseline before and header after dyno then I have yet to see a fair comparison between the 2 headers.
Yes, my dyno is before and after the header install.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:06 PM
Pro

Ok I stand corrected.

But from the dyno on the Comptech website, the peak horsepower reported is at 183.1hp, 158tq.
While your dyno shows 179.7hp, 156tq and TOV's dyno shows 189.15hp, 160.64tq (with a modded car).

Testing conditions are different. I'm very interested to see vtec.net test the Comptech headers with the same conditions used with their DC sports article.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:12 PM
Drives With Hands

Testing conditions are different. I'm very interested to see vtec.net test the Comptech headers with the same conditions used with their DC sports article.
Yeah, even though the Comptech dyno scores an overall higher number, it's the before/after comparison that we have to go by. Cars and dynos are both different so when you mix and match you get too many extraneous variables interfering. Comptech could have been using a chasis dyno, which will generally read about 10hp higher due to the hubs being bolted directly to it. Very frustrating sometimes but that's the way of the scientific method and such.

Hopefully the TODA street header will blow both the DC and Comptech away. I'll buy one and sell my Comptech unless I start looking into a turbo or something.