Dbw!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 06:47 PM
Special-K

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dbw!

Where is the DBW located?.. would a TSX manual show you how to remove it? I wanna toss it and install a K-Pro..
Old 09-07-2007, 07:38 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
be prepared for no vsa, dash, or AC
Old 09-07-2007, 09:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Thread of the Month. I'm gonna let Johnny answer this one, cause I won't get it all right...
Old 09-07-2007, 10:38 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
wow

Its not like DBW is one item you can remove and throw away.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:12 PM
Instructor

yeah..DBW is just like..built into the car... you're basically changing the whole tsx throttle setup with that. i dont think it's simply a removeable thing like the resonator.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:20 AM
Special-K

Originally Posted by OoKrnBoi0331oO
yeah..DBW is just like..built into the car... you're basically changing the whole tsx throttle setup with that. i dont think it's simply a removeable thing like the resonator.
Well im not saying i want to throw the DBW away... just uninstall it to run the K-Pro. The motor has so much potential but with the DBW its limited. I will get all the resources to make this work. I obviously know about AC, VSA, Gauges, etc. This isnt about keeping the luxuries.. its about making power! Alot of us want power but not enough to throw away some of the reasons you purchased the car. Rewiring the the gauges is possible but the for the AC, VSA... well i dont drive with VSA on anyway but the AC..haha, i guess im just gonna have to live without it.. i barely used it this summer anyway. The car might run a hell of alot better without DBW!? I'll have to swap in an RSX vtc as well.. I thought hondata was coming out with the K-Pro since they have one for the damn Element!! So its time to take things into my own hands.. Hondata has already done it with their test with the TSX and bolt-ons.. and DAAS TSX was running without DBW and they had the gauges rewired.. so its possible. Im am going to pursue this if i can find someone to rewire this gauges. Somebody has to have the balls to do it!
Old 09-08-2007, 02:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
DBW is not a single item. It's a technology that utilizes electronic components to replace the traditional direct connection from the gas pedal to the throttle body. It consists of a gas pedal that connects to the accelerator pedal position sensor, an ECU that communicates with the throttle actuator control module. The throttle actuator control module that sends the signals to the drive motor on the throttle body. Therefore, anything that relates to this system will be lost if converting to a cable drive system. I believe Hondata mentions VSA, cruise control, certain gauage functions. etc.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:26 AM
Special-K

Originally Posted by JTso
DBW is not a single item. It's a technology that utilizes electronic components to replace the traditional direct connection from the gas pedal to the throttle body. It consists of a gas pedal that connects to the accelerator pedal position sensor, an ECU that communicates with the throttle actuator control module. The throttle actuator control module that sends the signals to the drive motor on the throttle body. Therefore, anything that relates to this system will be lost if converting to a cable drive system. I believe Hondata mentions VSA, cruise control, certain gauage functions. etc.
I am very aware of this... i know what im losing, just hoping i can atleast get the gauges working.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:27 AM
Special-K

I mean, i dont even know if they uninstalled the DBW or if they just plugged the K-Pro up and it automatically stopped all functions.. so like i said, i'll have to do some research and find some resources
Old 09-09-2007, 11:07 AM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by PrecyseStylez
I mean, i dont even know if they uninstalled the DBW or if they just plugged the K-Pro up and it automatically stopped all functions.. so like i said, i'll have to do some research and find some resources

I truly understand your point here sir. To gain significant amounts of normal aspirated power out of the TSX you will have to make this change. The DBW is part of the TB (throttle body) will have to changed to a cable driven TB (off a RSX) to utilize the K-PRO which we both know.You will need the TB, ECU and linkage to the pedal. That is why Comptech spent so much time with Hondata working with the DBW to make a reflash that would work with their supercharger. This swap is also needed to install any turbo kits currently marketed which are mostly made for k20 applications thus far. You will lose the VSA, AC and Gauges period. You will have to install aftermarket guages. The car may have problems passing emissions due such radical tuning of the K-Pro but if you are looking for a screamer you will have it. If you want more power, since you are removing the DBW, use a RSX K20 head and built a stroker engine. With the DBW eliminated and the KPRO installed you have dramatically changed your tuning capacity to higher ranges. My bud has a RSX with just race headers , KPRO, cat-back , test pipe and short shifter running mid 13 1/4 mile times all day long. So that shows the performance ranges of the KPRO system.

DBW is the future of performance and derived from acuras racing program. Now there are advantages to DBW for one it is instant very sensitive connection to the throttle which the ECU can learn your driving style and make adjustments after reading rpm, eng. temp / mph. It also assist your VSA in corners and traction loss situations.I have heard of owners reporting lag in DBW but I have not experienced that. I am sure that more performance ECU options are coming just be patient. The performance world is still catching up and adapting to modern electronics which will take over like portable media players. The new Lexus LS model has a DBW steering rack that is what enbles it to park itself. So as soon as Honda K series motors become the racers primary choice instead of now ancient B series motors we will see major options.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:48 AM
iVTEC no koe

Wasn't Hytech selling a K-Pro dual-ECU setup for the TSX? In which a K20 ecu was used... ?
Old 09-09-2007, 01:16 PM
Instructor

DBW is like your nerve system.....i guess it is better to keep it like that..... with investments you said, you can afford a sports car....
TSX without AC? i don't wanna even imagine
Old 09-09-2007, 02:57 PM
Pro

This isnt about keeping the luxuries.. its about making power!
well if it's not about the luxuries you bought the wrong car buddy... for 28,000 you could have bought a WRX and modded it out your arse...
Old 09-09-2007, 04:48 PM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HoRRo
Wasn't Hytech selling a K-Pro dual-ECU setup for the TSX? In which a K20 ecu was used... ?
Yeah, that would be a better way as all you need is the conversion harness and the k20a ECU. That's probably cheaper than getting a cabled throttle body, a k20a ecu, installing a cabled throttle and getting new gauges.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:06 PM
Special-K

Originally Posted by Tsx6363
well if it's not about the luxuries you bought the wrong car buddy... for 28,000 you could have bought a WRX and modded it out your arse...
I actually purchased my TSX because of the exterior.. i was amazed at the goodies i was getting but at the time wasnt aware it had them!.. So i dont believe im missing out.. i wasnt expecting it. I didnt do too much research on the car when i purchased it. I just knew i saw it around and fell in love with the exterior styling..the luxuries were a plus. If i wanted to go all out i could've gotten something way better than an WRX also.. but nothing pulled me to it like the TSX did.. only car i ever seen and said "im gonna have it!" But thanks for your concern
Old 09-09-2007, 06:13 PM
Professional Newbie

Anybody else seen this? http://www.autoblog.com/2007/09/09/d...print-booster/

could be interesting...I'm sure it's not worth the money though
Old 09-09-2007, 07:47 PM
Racer

Its funny to me when people talk down about the TSX because its under powered compared to other "tuner" imports. Most of those cars have turbo and 100+ horsepower. But you can bet your balls that the TSX will give them all hell on a road course. Has anybody tuned in to Grand Am Koni Challenge ST race at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca lately? The TSX owns Porsches, BMW, Mustangs, RX8s, 350zs,Audi A4s, Lexus IS and more!

SCROLL DOWN AND CHECK THE VIDEOS ON THIS LINK
http://aboutacura.blogspot.com/search/label/TSX
Old 09-09-2007, 08:35 PM
Special-K

Originally Posted by UNEVAKNO
I truly understand your point here sir. To gain significant amounts of normal aspirated power out of the TSX you will have to make this change. The DBW is part of the TB (throttle body) will have to changed to a cable driven TB (off a RSX) to utilize the K-PRO which we both know.You will need the TB, ECU and linkage to the pedal. That is why Comptech spent so much time with Hondata working with the DBW to make a reflash that would work with their supercharger. This swap is also needed to install any turbo kits currently marketed which are mostly made for k20 applications thus far. You will lose the VSA, AC and Gauges period. You will have to install aftermarket guages. The car may have problems passing emissions due such radical tuning of the K-Pro but if you are looking for a screamer you will have it. If you want more power, since you are removing the DBW, use a RSX K20 head and built a stroker engine. With the DBW eliminated and the KPRO installed you have dramatically changed your tuning capacity to higher ranges. My bud has a RSX with just race headers , KPRO, cat-back , test pipe and short shifter running mid 13 1/4 mile times all day long. So that shows the performance ranges of the KPRO system.

DBW is the future of performance and derived from acuras racing program. Now there are advantages to DBW for one it is instant very sensitive connection to the throttle which the ECU can learn your driving style and make adjustments after reading rpm, eng. temp / mph. It also assist your VSA in corners and traction loss situations.I have heard of owners reporting lag in DBW but I have not experienced that. I am sure that more performance ECU options are coming just be patient. The performance world is still catching up and adapting to modern electronics which will take over like portable media players. The new Lexus LS model has a DBW steering rack that is what enbles it to park itself. So as soon as Honda K series motors become the racers primary choice instead of now ancient B series motors we will see major options.
I dont know if i came off as if i didnt know anything about DBW... but i do! I understand what i'll be losing and at the same time what i could be gaining. Its been 5 years... how much patience could a person have?? Im not gonna jump into this project tomorrow, I'm just thinking of the possibilites. Acura might make an 09 TSX Turbo.. but what if hondata cant crack the ECU because of DBW? We'll still be running into the same exact problems. So why wait for that?
Old 09-09-2007, 09:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by madmanmax3000
Anybody else seen this? http://www.autoblog.com/2007/09/09/d...print-booster/

could be interesting...I'm sure it's not worth the money though
$330??!! Forget that! Anyway, I followed a couple of links, and in case anyone wants more info, this guy has a writeup on it: http://bipesauto.com/sprintbooster

I like the comment asking if this works together with a Tornado for even more power.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:21 AM
Racer

I dont know if i came off as if i didnt know anything about DBW... but i do! I understand what i'll be losing and at the same time what i could be gaining. Its been 5 years... how much patience could a person have?? Im not gonna jump into this project tomorrow, I'm just thinking of the possibilites. Acura might make an 09 TSX Turbo.. but what if hondata cant crack the ECU because of DBW? We'll still be running into the same exact problems. So why wait for that?
I understand we should not have to wait that long. The TSX has to have a high demand for parts or have "Civic SI" on the side to get the parts you need! The TSX has for more racing potential than any Civic but they will make parts for what selling to the "Tuner" kids. Which is what causes us to get creative. In other cases you have a company likes Ingalls almost begging someone to bring a TSX in to make a part for FREE and everones making excuses.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:57 AM
Special-K

I understand we should not have to wait that long. The TSX has to have a high demand for parts or have "Civic SI" on the side to get the parts you need! The TSX has for more racing potential than any Civic but they will make parts for what selling to the "Tuner" kids. Which is what causes us to get creative. In other cases you have a company likes Ingalls almost begging someone to bring a TSX in to make a part for FREE and everones making excuses.
True! Its either that or not satisfied with that product!
Old 09-10-2007, 01:04 PM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Its funny to me when people talk down about the TSX because its under powered compared to other "tuner" imports. Most of those cars have turbo and 100+ horsepower. But you can bet your balls that the TSX will give them all hell on a road course. Has anybody tuned in to Grand Am Koni Challenge ST race at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca lately? The TSX owns Porsches, BMW, Mustangs, RX8s, 350zs,Audi A4s, Lexus IS and more!

SCROLL DOWN AND CHECK THE VIDEOS ON THIS LINK
http://aboutacura.blogspot.com/search/label/TSX
Do you think you might have exaggerated a bit here? First of all, at Laguna Seca, GS and ST classes ran separately. So how can you say "TSX owns Porsches, BMW [M3], Mustangs, 350Zs"??? Second, TSX's fastest lap was 1:41.5xx whereas most of the GS cars (Porsches, BMW M3, Mustangs, 350Zs) were between 1:36 and 1:40. Also, weren't you adding some cars that didn't even compete? Like Audi A4s, Lexus IS?
Old 09-10-2007, 01:45 PM
I Quit

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
I don't think Hondata will be coming out with KPRO anytime soon for the TSX there just isn't a market for it. Granted AZ has thousands of interested buyers but of those "interested" probably about 30 - 50 would actually buy it. So it's not worth the R&D involved in "cracking DBW" to make it happen.

I would say the best possibility for KPRO would be the 07 Si, which I believe is DBW, there is a much larger market segment there. Possibly if they make for the 07, we could in turn use it on the TSX. I don't know enough about DBW or the differences between the Si and the TSX.

Also, it looks like "younger" people drive Si's who like to tune them, lets face it, most drivers we see driving TSX's are "older" people who are happy with a people mover that has some zip every now and then lol.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:18 PM
East Coast Crew

Take my advice. Save your money and buy a faster car.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:24 PM
Special-K

Originally Posted by visuelz
Take my advice. Save your money and buy a faster car.
Advice not taken... like i said.. nothing out this is appealing to me. Who told the RSX-S to go get something faster? No one.. they did anything possible to get the RSX there.. even if it took swapping out the K20 and in with the K24..
Old 09-10-2007, 04:40 PM
East Coast Crew

The only reason I gave that advice is when you remove the DBW, you're going to need to do a lot of modifications. I wouldn't think of that as a TSX anymore but maybe other people will disagree. Good luck with the mod.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:27 PM
VSA Rocks

Well im not saying i want to throw the DBW away... just uninstall it to run the K-Pro. The motor has so much potential but with the DBW its limited. I will get all the resources to make this work. I obviously know about AC, VSA, Gauges, etc. This isnt about keeping the luxuries.. its about making power! Alot of us want power but not enough to throw away some of the reasons you purchased the car. Rewiring the the gauges is possible but the for the AC, VSA... well i dont drive with VSA on anyway but the AC..haha, i guess im just gonna have to live without it.. i barely used it this summer anyway. The car might run a hell of alot better without DBW!? I'll have to swap in an RSX vtc as well.. I thought hondata was coming out with the K-Pro since they have one for the damn Element!! So its time to take things into my own hands.. Hondata has already done it with their test with the TSX and bolt-ons.. and DAAS TSX was running without DBW and they had the gauges rewired.. so its possible. Im am going to pursue this if i can find someone to rewire this gauges. Somebody has to have the balls to do it!
I can TOTALLY relate to your passion to unleash the NA power of the K24A2 just like the kids are doing on their hatchcraps putting down 250+WHP.

The thing thats impressive about it all is the fact they didn't even touch displacement. The engine responds very well to tuning/breathing.

One other option to consider outside of the expensive K-pro harness and RSX-S Ecu is to get a reflash with the Grand Am stage II kit. While I'm not sure if they can reflash it for you while you're on the east coast (Church automotive is too far), it might be worth looking into. Who knows -- they might be able to reflash your ECU with Hytech's calibration. TodaSi is the only member to my knowledge who is going beyond Stage I -- I think he was going to run the cam setup with their race header.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:14 AM
Special-K

Originally Posted by visuelz
The only reason I gave that advice is when you remove the DBW, you're going to need to do a lot of modifications. I wouldn't think of that as a TSX anymore but maybe other people will disagree. Good luck with the mod.
But i dont understand why it wouldnt be a TSX anymore?? The motor isnt changing, it'll still be a K24. If i throw in a K20 then maybe its not a TSX anymore.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:18 AM
Special-K

Originally Posted by Black_6spd
I can TOTALLY relate to your passion to unleash the NA power of the K24A2 just like the kids are doing on their hatchcraps putting down 250+WHP.

The thing thats impressive about it all is the fact they didn't even touch displacement. The engine responds very well to tuning/breathing.

One other option to consider outside of the expensive K-pro harness and RSX-S Ecu is to get a reflash with the Grand Am stage II kit. While I'm not sure if they can reflash it for you while you're on the east coast (Church automotive is too far), it might be worth looking into. Who knows -- they might be able to reflash your ECU with Hytech's calibration. TodaSi is the only member to my knowledge who is going beyond Stage I -- I think he was going to run the cam setup with their race header.
What about VTC? How will he get that done? Do you know what the power would be? Can you find out more info on that?
Old 09-11-2007, 07:24 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by vwong
Do you think you might have exaggerated a bit here? First of all, at Laguna Seca, GS and ST classes ran separately. So how can you say "TSX owns Porsches, BMW [M3], Mustangs, 350Zs"??? Second, TSX's fastest lap was 1:41.5xx whereas most of the GS cars (Porsches, BMW M3, Mustangs, 350Zs) were between 1:36 and 1:40. Also, weren't you adding some cars that didn't even compete? Like Audi A4s, Lexus IS?
You get the point sir. The car has excellent handling and racing potential for a 200 hp 4 dr car in comparison to other true sports cars.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:11 AM
East Coast Crew

But i dont understand why it wouldnt be a TSX anymore?? The motor isnt changing, it'll still be a K24. If i throw in a K20 then maybe its not a TSX anymore.
I'll just take some time to think about how to answer that =]

On other note, since you won't be needing the AC anymore, be sure to take it out and sell it to me =]
Old 09-11-2007, 10:12 AM
I Quit

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
He's making reference to the creature comforts like VSA, AC, Gauges, etc... that make the TSX a "luxury" sedan. Funny how this is thread with an honest question is turning into a crap slinging session. Dude I think you should put KPRO on it, ditch the DBW, and post up your results with a DIY, I am interested to see the results and how you did it and what kind of NA power it freed up. If you do it maybe that'll give Hondata more intrest in working with DBW or turn all of the people on here who think it's a waste to see your side of the story! So I say do it! No more chit chatting just get on the project and lets see how it works.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:17 AM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I thought KPro would work with a rsx piggyback ecu in the mix. or am I thinking wrong???
Old 09-11-2007, 10:31 AM
Special-K

Originally Posted by rza49311
I thought KPro would work with a rsx piggyback ecu in the mix. or am I thinking wrong???
I once heard of something like that before also. Something about keeping the TSX ecu to run the gauges etc. and using the RSX ecu to run the k-pro.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:45 AM
VSA Rocks

What about VTC? How will he get that done? Do you know what the power would be? Can you find out more info on that?
Call up Marcus from heeltoe or John from Hytech. I haven't spent that much time lately on these boards because I sold the TSX a few weeks ago for an RL.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:14 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I once heard of something like that before also. Something about keeping the TSX ecu to run the gauges etc. and using the RSX ecu to run the k-pro.
yes i think thats what i remember reading as well. I believe its on the forum somewhere. Maybe someone can chime in.