Dash

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 02:13 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by joerockt
I guess a minimum wage summer job pays for a busted up TSX
yeah im gettin 7/hour. Hopefully 8 aftr i ask for raise. Im like doing every single job at the place I work, I should get paid more
Old 07-08-2005, 02:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wclark
yeah im gettin 7/hour. Hopefully 8 aftr i ask for raise. Im like doing every single job at the place I work, I should get paid more

good for you.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

A job at a young age is a real eye opener, (cliché coming) which helps you learn the true value of a dollar.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by caz1604
A job at a young age is a real eye opener, (cliché coming) which helps you learn the true value of a dollar.
tell me about it, im definently gonna stop slacking and getting A's and B's and just get A's. I don't want a job the rest of my life where "Im on the Clock"
Old 07-09-2005, 03:12 PM
Instructor

hey you know where i can get any parts from this wis. guy. and by the way dont pay any attention to these idiots about yor salvage cars. If they did enough research then they would know that some of those cars they buy off these used cars lots are wrecked cars anyways!!! idiots!!!!
Old 07-09-2005, 04:46 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by hondatypes
hey you know where i can get any parts from this wis. guy. and by the way dont pay any attention to these idiots about yor salvage cars. If they did enough research then they would know that some of those cars they buy off these used cars lots are wrecked cars anyways!!! idiots!!!!
yeah I agree. If you guys would do research you would see that buying a salvage car with little to no damage isn't bad at all.
Old 07-09-2005, 04:54 PM
Banned

You sir, are a grade A moron. You really dont know what your talking about.
Old 07-09-2005, 04:55 PM
Banned

yeah I agree. If you guys would do research you would see that buying a salvage car with little to no damage isn't bad at all.
Its a big deal, because when you goto sell it, you wont really get a lot for it, because it has a salvaged title.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:00 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by LalchandYamlajat
Its a big deal, because when you goto sell it, you wont really get a lot for it, because it has a salvaged title.
you obviously don't know what ur talking about. They guy who I bought my car from is on par to do 700k in sales this year. he sells about 10+ cars a month at about 3k in profit per car. Thats before its fixed, so it would definently go for more once fixed.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:37 PM
Just dial 1911

Kids

Read (from Edmunds):

Salvage Title Cars

Mention to a prospective buyer that the car has a salvage title, and they run in terror. Still, others have owned these cars and driven them for years. What is a salvage title and can these cars ever be a smart buy?

When a car has been severely damaged (either in an accident, or because of a flood or theft) the insurance company estimates how much it will cost to fix. At some point, the cost of repairs is more than the car is worth. Therefore, the car is often sold to a salvage company and used for parts. To protect future buyers, the car is given a salvage title.

In some cases, the salvage company, or an enterprising body shop, might fix up the car and try to sell it. Naturally, the price of the car will be below similar models' because it has a salvage title. The danger is that the car was improperly repaired. The biggest problem is with the alignment of the wheels — if the frame has been bent, it is difficult and expensive to straighten. A bent frame will cause abnormal tire wear and improper handling characteristics.

"Some states require (totaled) vehicles to be branded as salvage cars," Lovejoy said. "But if it is sold in another state, and re-titled, it can be sold to Mrs. Jones as a straight-up used car. She doesn't know it has been cut together from pieces of different cars."

Both Lovejoy and Shebesta advised extreme caution when considering the purchase of a car with a salvage title.

"I know of some cars that have gone through body shops and been made into drivable cars," Lovejoy said. "But keep in mind that if you buy a salvage title car, the chances of selling it to someone else and recouping your money are very slim. If you buy a salvage title car, you might want to count on keeping it until the wheels fall off."

John Mallette, from Face Lift Inc., also advised buyers to be cautious. However, he added, "sometimes it works when you're dealing with a theft recovery where there was little damage. You might save $3,000, $4,000, $5,000. But you will lose that right off the top when you go to sell it."
So basically, you better pray the salvage company does the repair correctly. You wont get near what you paid for if you try and sell it...
Old 07-09-2005, 07:59 PM
Racer

Kids

Read (from Edmunds):

So basically, you better pray the salvage company does the repair correctly. You wont get near what you paid for if you try and sell it...
I plan to never sell this car, i plan to easily have it through college.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:41 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by matelot
ah the infamous train wreck that fawked up all those pretty little TSXs

so you're saying that front-end came from that Wis. guy ?
I never heard about this... what happened???
Old 07-10-2005, 09:09 AM
Drives With Hands

I plan to never sell this car, i plan to easily have it through college.
Good plan. My first vehicle truck, a 1991 Ford Ranger (bought it in 1995 for $6000 under book value) was a salvage title. I had it inspected by a Ford dealership before buying it and they verified that the repairs had been performed correctly. I bought it with 48,000 miles on it, and my younger brother finally totaled it with 195,000 miles on it. As long as you make sure they've been salvaged correctly, salvaged vehicles are fantastic deals and an excellent choice for a first car, especially when you don't have a lot of money.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:27 PM
Instructor

lalalajad, wit a name like that i would just stay shut. You say im a grade a moron. But still no explaination why i am. Is it because you dont know jack what im talking about.....idiot.....
Old 07-10-2005, 01:21 PM
Cruise Missile Lobber

Explanation:

Kids

Read (from Edmunds):

Salvage Title Cars

Mention to a prospective buyer that the car has a salvage title, and they run in terror. Still, others have owned these cars and driven them for years. What is a salvage title and can these cars ever be a smart buy?

When a car has been severely damaged (either in an accident, or because of a flood or theft) the insurance company estimates how much it will cost to fix. At some point, the cost of repairs is more than the car is worth. Therefore, the car is often sold to a salvage company and used for parts. To protect future buyers, the car is given a salvage title.

In some cases, the salvage company, or an enterprising body shop, might fix up the car and try to sell it. Naturally, the price of the car will be below similar models' because it has a salvage title. The danger is that the car was improperly repaired. The biggest problem is with the alignment of the wheels — if the frame has been bent, it is difficult and expensive to straighten. A bent frame will cause abnormal tire wear and improper handling characteristics.

"Some states require (totaled) vehicles to be branded as salvage cars," Lovejoy said. "But if it is sold in another state, and re-titled, it can be sold to Mrs. Jones as a straight-up used car. She doesn't know it has been cut together from pieces of different cars."

Both Lovejoy and Shebesta advised extreme caution when considering the purchase of a car with a salvage title.

"I know of some cars that have gone through body shops and been made into drivable cars," Lovejoy said. "But keep in mind that if you buy a salvage title car, the chances of selling it to someone else and recouping your money are very slim. If you buy a salvage title car, you might want to count on keeping it until the wheels fall off."

John Mallette, from Face Lift Inc., also advised buyers to be cautious. However, he added, "sometimes it works when you're dealing with a theft recovery where there was little damage. You might save $3,000, $4,000, $5,000. But you will lose that right off the top when you go to sell it."

Old 07-10-2005, 01:29 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by rmpage
Good plan. My first vehicle truck, a 1991 Ford Ranger (bought it in 1995 for $6000 under book value) was a salvage title. I had it inspected by a Ford dealership before buying it and they verified that the repairs had been performed correctly. I bought it with 48,000 miles on it, and my younger brother finally totaled it with 195,000 miles on it. As long as you make sure they've been salvaged correctly, salvaged vehicles are fantastic deals and an excellent choice for a first car, especially when you don't have a lot of money.
Yeah the guy who is fixing it is a certified mechanic and he's been my dad's friend since they were like 10 so I have no doubts about him fixing it really well. And the damage on this TSX is less than the one I was originally looking at. I just can't wait, about 2 weeks and I'll have it. I know my sis will be mad, she got a legend then a 00 TL after the legend because she was stupid it left everything open during a storm.
Old 07-10-2005, 02:40 PM
Just dial 1911

Yeah the guy who is fixing it is a certified mechanic and he's been my dad's friend since they were like 10 so I have no doubts about him fixing it really well. And the damage on this TSX is less than the one I was originally looking at. I just can't wait, about 2 weeks and I'll have it. I know my sis will be mad, she got a legend then a 00 TL after the legend because she was stupid it left everything open during a storm.
Well, thats a good thing then...At least you have someone to take it back to when you have all sorts of problems...
Old 07-10-2005, 03:40 PM
Instructor

Just read thru all the posts. First thing I'll say is welcome to owning a TSX. Second is your safety should be the first concern, welding a new front end on doesn't sound like it will be very safe. If they are just stripping parts from that to replace/repair the damage to this car then you should be ok. And as long as your aware that you won't get squat for a salavage title car, and that includes the $$$ your putting into it. Not from trying to resell it and lord help you not from the insurance company should you ever have an accident. Doesn't sound like your planning to sell it so the first shouldn't be much of a concern, the second will hopefully never become an issue..

Cheers, and congrats on getting a TSX.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by weapon-x
Just read thru all the posts. First thing I'll say is welcome to owning a TSX. Second is your safety should be the first concern, welding a new front end on doesn't sound like it will be very safe. If they are just stripping parts from that to replace/repair the damage to this car then you should be ok. And as long as your aware that you won't get squat for a salavage title car, and that includes the $$$ your putting into it. Not from trying to resell it and lord help you not from the insurance company should you ever have an accident. Doesn't sound like your planning to sell it so the first shouldn't be much of a concern, the second will hopefully never become an issue..

Cheers, and congrats on getting a TSX.
why should i pay insurance if they won't help when I potentially have a minor wreck? and yeah that is whats happenning taking the parts from the CG front end and putting it on the NHB repainting it and then thats it. I know it may not sound "Safe", but go ask ur local body shop guy and its extremetly common for this to happen.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:27 PM
Master in Science

why should i pay insurance if they won't help when I potentially have a minor wreck?
It's required by law in some states. Plus, you should be able to recover something in case of total loss.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:28 PM
Master in Science

Originally Posted by Sclass88
Exactly what is says. A train full of new TSX's derailed and all cars were considered totalled by Acura. They cannot be sold as new cars. Only parts.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:57 PM
Just dial 1911

why should i pay insurance if they won't help when I potentially have a minor wreck?
Wow. So besides driving around in a wreaked car, no insurance either? Not even liability??

Yea, good luck with that

This thread ranks up there as the dumbest of all time.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:02 PM
Banned

lalalajad, wit a name like that i would just stay shut. You say im a grade a moron. But still no explaination why i am. Is it because you dont know jack what im talking about.....idiot.....
First off, what does my name have to do anything with this? I called you a moron because a dealer isnt allowed to sell a salvaged car to a person if they dont know about it. You call everyone an idiot, but look at yourself.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sclass88
never mind...ancient history
Old 07-10-2005, 08:27 PM
Racer

i went to my acura dealer and they'd give me about 12k for the car once fixed. thats only a 3k loss and everyone knows u can get more from an individual buyer than a dealership.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:06 AM
Instructor

i went to my acura dealer and they'd give me about 12k for the car once fixed. thats only a 3k loss and everyone knows u can get more from an individual buyer than a dealership.
The dealer giving you $12K for a car with a salvage title, good luck with that. Seriosouly though, I wish you many years of enjoyment with your new purchase. But don't expect to get anywhere near that for the car with a salavage title. If they could get anywhere near that sort of $$$, why would they be selling the "totaled TSX's" from that now infamous train wreck for parts instead of at reduced prices for a whole car? Or even cars that are flooded and condsidered "totaled" from areas such as Florida being sold off for parts?

I'm sure your dad's friend will fix your car up so it's safe, but don't kid yourself into thinking you'll get that sort of $$$ for it once it has a salavage title. Just enjoy it while you have it.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:22 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by weapon-x
The dealer giving you $12K for a car with a salvage title, good luck with that. Seriosouly though, I wish you many years of enjoyment with your new purchase. But don't expect to get anywhere near that for the car with a salavage title. If they could get anywhere near that sort of $$$, why would they be selling the "totaled TSX's" from that now infamous train wreck for parts instead of at reduced prices for a whole car? Or even cars that are flooded and condsidered "totaled" from areas such as Florida being sold off for parts?

I'm sure your dad's friend will fix your car up so it's safe, but don't kid yourself into thinking you'll get that sort of $$$ for it once it has a salavage title. Just enjoy it while you have it.
yeah we took it to our dealer and it was appraised at around 22-21k and the dealer will give u 0.50 on the dollar for the appraised value.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:14 AM
Just dial 1911

yeah we took it to our dealer and it was appraised at around 22-21k and the dealer will give u 0.50 on the dollar for the appraised value.
You took what to your dealer? A half of a car?
Old 07-11-2005, 01:51 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,789 Likes on 2,555 Posts
How can we get intouch with this guy that has the wrecked tsx's. I want to get a black interior from him.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:41 PM
Racer

You took what to your dealer? A half of a car?
no they said if it got appraised at 22k which the appraiser said it would by the time it got a full repair from the shop, they'd give 12k (0.50 on the dollar) since its salvage.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:42 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
How can we get intouch with this guy that has the wrecked tsx's. I want to get a black interior from him.
let me ask my dad to call charlie and i'll get the number from him.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:53 PM
Racer

there is absolutely NO frame damage, it was confirmed today, all there is, is sheet metal. i looks like this....