Comptech Supercharger- It's Official

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 01:03 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrsteve
Autocarparts.com sells the RSX kit for $3055 w/o K-Pro. The ACM unit for the TSX kit can't cost more than $200. Additionally, I'm sure that many of the vendors on Acurazine can be extremely competitive with pricing. I know Smitty purchased his S/C kit for his CL-S for $3,500 (others have done the same) from a vendor on the site. The CL supercharger kit retails for $4,495.

It may be close to $1,000 but it isn't required to gain 50whp so it shouldn't be included in the total price, especially since it isn't even relased yet.

Congratulations on driving so frequently, I'm sure all the seat time in the TSX is quite enjoyable. The Acura drivetrain is extremely strong in all of their most recent cars. I put 15,000 miles (and 20 1/4 mile passes) on my supercharged CL without a single drivetrain problem. Additionally, no one with the CL/TL kit has had drivetrain problems related to the S/C'er. I haven't heard of any freak problems on the RSX either.

Larger fuel lines aren't needed as you aren't building a 600whp beast here. A higher flow fuel pump and additional FPR (I think yours is located within the fuel tank) was not required on the RSX kit so I would not expect to see one in the TSX kit.

regardless, even if i use your discounted numbers:

You don't need the aftercooler. And if you did the aftercooler will allow you to run more boost. 1psi is good for roughly 10whp and the aftercooler alone should add 20whp.

So if I use revised numbers:

$3,200 for SC
$1,000 for aftercooler and new pulley
$650 for install

$4850. This combo should be good for 70 additional whp over a N/A TSX; or $69/hp.

Compare that to the catback exhaust at $800 for 2-3whp $267-400/hp

I never said you had to buy it, but to some people it is worth it.
that's nice dude. like i said, not me. i'm not trying to get in a debate over something that i dont think is worth it.

sure it's great - 69$/hp as you calculate. but in looking at the aggregate - it's still 5000 bucks.

and ok, i know i spent more than that already on my car - but to me (once again my personal opinion) i can't justify spending ANOTHER 5K.

and you may think that the quality of the stock tranny is fine - but why spend the 5K if you dont reinforce the tranny?

and why wouldn't you want an aftercooler? i've talked to a bunch of guys and they all complain about how hot the S/C gets.

and so you drove 15k miles on your CL. congrats to you. we had another board member say that his belt on his S/C snapped after 80k. that's the kinda long term numbers i would be boasting/discussing about.

it's ultimately up to the person to make the decision whether shelling out 5k is worth or not.

i can confidently say that the S/C will be overkill for 99% of the members on this forum, as well as other tsx owners. it's not like you can utilize the S/C on the street. and its not like that many us track our cars.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:24 PM
Top notch 6MT

Originally Posted by dzuy
i can confidently say that the S/C will be overkill for 99% of the members on this forum, as well as other tsx owners. it's not like you can utilize the S/C on the street. and its not like that many us track our cars.

As for building a car mostly for track runs, TSX wouldn't be an cost-effective platform to do. RSX-S would be much better in that regard
Old 04-28-2005, 01:26 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
and why wouldn't you want an aftercooler? i've talked to a bunch of guys and they all complain about how hot the S/C gets.
The only reason not to want an aftercooler is the added cost. While in the long run it will be much better for the motor and will make more power; it most definitely isn't required.

and so you drove 15k miles on your CL. congrats to you. we had another board member say that his belt on his S/C snapped after 80k. that's the kinda long term numbers i would be boasting/discussing about.
80k on what kind of car? Letting a S/C'er belt go for 80k miles without replacing it is foolish.

it's ultimately up to the person to make the decision whether shelling out 5k is worth or not.
Of course

it's not like you can utilize the S/C on the street. and its not like that many us track our cars.
This is where we are going to disagree completely. A S/C'er can totally be utilized on the street. It doesn't take full out acceleration to feel the benefits of the supercharger. 95% of the time the bypass valve on the supercharger will be open, so the car is not under boost. The other 5% of the time when the car is under boost doesn't really mean you need to be going balls to the wall WOT all the time to utilize the extra power. Unlike a centrifugal supercharger, the TSX charger will make boost very quickly and without the need for WOT high rpm runs. It basically will feel like a larger motor has been swaped into the car. Power delivery is extremely smooth with this style blower. Being able to pass cars effortlessly on the highway while still in overdrive or getting out infront of traffic at a stop light with only 50% throttle is a great benefit IMO.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:27 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 05_TSX_GP

As for building a car mostly for track runs, TSX wouldn't be an cost-effective platform to do. RSX-S would be much better in that regard

Your car doesn't need to be a fully built track car to be supercharged. In fact none of the S/C'ed 6-speed CL's have EVER gone to the track.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:31 PM
Team Owner

For comparison (and sorry about the poor quality) but this is a supercharged CL-S vs. N/A CL-S dyno plot. Look how smooth the power increases. It isn't like a turbo where there are peaks and valleys throughout the powerband; just very very smooth power increases.

Old 04-28-2005, 01:34 PM
Team Owner

Better comparison. Look how smoothly power builds on the RSX w/the Comptech S/C'er kit vs. a 6psi turbo kit

vs.

Old 04-28-2005, 01:39 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Comptech claims 50WHP with what 5psi?

A stock TSX is putting down on average 170 so that number will jump to 220 with the SC.

The RSX-S put down 235 at 5psi. So is their a reason the TSX isn't putting more power down or is Comptech just being conservative in their estimate. Or does that RSX dyno include an Intercooler?
Old 04-28-2005, 01:42 PM
Top notch 6MT

Your car doesn't need to be a fully built track car to be supercharged. In fact none of the S/C'ed 6-speed CL's have EVER gone to the track.
I would agree with you in that the S/C can provide extra kick when situations call for it (and allow it). Forced induction is not an "evil" thing or a big no-no for street cars; otherwise, why would there be S/C and T/C cars straight from factory floors

Just that I feel (apparently as does dzuy) that for most TSX owners (and even just within the more enthusiastic ones on a-tsx), S/C would not be a much desired item.

Also I personally think ~200hp, maybe max 220hp is the most a FF street going car should have. Regardless of how sophisticated the suspension setup is to counter torque steer, I would prefer the more naturally balance FR setup given more than 220hp.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:45 PM
Team Owner

Also I personally think ~200hp, maybe max 220hp is the most a FF street going car should have. Regardless of how sophisticated the suspension setup is to counter torque steer, I would prefer the more naturally balance FR setup given more than 220hp.
I guess it all depends on the car. I had 300whp and others have more (330+) with zero torque steer. I take my hands off the wheel, nail it from a dead stop, and the car goes straight.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:46 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by domn
Comptech claims 50WHP with what 5psi?

A stock TSX is putting down on average 170 so that number will jump to 220 with the SC.

The RSX-S put down 235 at 5psi. So is their a reason the TSX isn't putting more power down or is Comptech just being conservative in their estimate. Or does that RSX dyno include an Intercooler?

I believe the 50whp is on top of what a TSX with I/H/E is putting down. The RSX on the dyno has an Injen CAI, Comptech street header, and a small 2.25" cat-back exhaust. No aftercooler.

I would suspect a TSX with I/H/E/SC @5psi to make 230-240whp
Old 04-28-2005, 01:46 PM
i want my nuku nuku futon

Is it just me or has ppl been drooling and looking forward to the S/C when it was in development but now that itz finally out, nobody is willing to get it??

thatz the feeling i'm getting from reading all these posts i've seen so many "My tsx got owned by..." threads here...so maybe with this I can finally see threads like "My tsx owned ...." hahaha
Old 04-28-2005, 01:58 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by gundamZZ
Is it just me or has ppl been drooling and looking forward to the S/C when it was in development but now that itz finally out, nobody is willing to get it??
I just went back and read the old Comptech S/C thread and it looks like only bmencig and tsxondubs were pretty well committed to buying it as soon as it came out. I wonder if they're still going to do it?
Old 04-28-2005, 02:23 PM
Top notch 6MT

I guess it all depends on the car. I had 300whp and others have more (330+) with zero torque steer. I take my hands off the wheel, nail it from a dead stop, and the car goes straight.
That's pretty nice, I'll take your words for it.

However, what about coming out of a corner at speed? With that much power, I would still rather have my front wheels doing the steering and rear wheels putting the power down in those situations...

The underlining thing for me to wish for is that Honda/Acura would make some derivative of the FR platform from the S2000 and make a high-powered (280hp range) FR sports sedan
Old 04-28-2005, 02:24 PM
GSI
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you plan on keeping your car for the long haul then this mod is worth the money especially once your car is out of warranty or paid off. However, if you have your eyes on the latest and greatest vehicle then this mod is not cost effective. I bet you will see this mod applied more frequently once the current 04's are traded in or sold. At that point a used TSX would go for say 15k + 5k for the SC would make a pretty good deal. Too bad I have the 5AT or I would consider it now. I plan on getting an STI in June or July and handing the TSX to the Mrs.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:29 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

This is where we are going to disagree completely. A S/C'er can totally be utilized on the street. It doesn't take full out acceleration to feel the benefits of the supercharger. 95% of the time the bypass valve on the supercharger will be open, so the car is not under boost. The other 5% of the time when the car is under boost doesn't really mean you need to be going balls to the wall WOT all the time to utilize the extra power. Unlike a centrifugal supercharger, the TSX charger will make boost very quickly and without the need for WOT high rpm runs. It basically will feel like a larger motor has been swaped into the car. Power delivery is extremely smooth with this style blower. Being able to pass cars effortlessly on the highway while still in overdrive or getting out infront of traffic at a stop light with only 50% throttle is a great benefit IMO.
well at least you knew i would disagree. i at least understand what you are saying. having the extra power is nice. we all know that.

i can pass anyone on the highway with minimal effort as it is now. if i need to, i can get in front of whoever i need to now at a traffic light too.

so basically, 4 grand will be dumped to passing people with less effort. big deal.

if you spend 3 grand for a S/C, might as well get the aftercooler too. that's like buying intake and exhuast and never buying a header.

on top of that, comptech has delayed their S/C for a period that has expanded roughly a year. while i think it's great that they are working out kinks, i feel that their momentum has greatly been reduced.

on top of that, comptech has not officially released how much whp you will get with the blower. so your specualted 240 whp is nice, but there was once a thread that stated that the comptech blower only put 240 hp to the crank. and that was from comptech tsx display car at some show. cant remember what.

4 grand is alot of money. period. a mild progression in power is nice. the S/C power would be even better.

at this point, i dont see myself spending 4k on a blower.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:36 PM
Team Owner

well at least you knew i would disagree. i at least understand what you are saying. having the extra power is nice. we all know that.

i can pass anyone on the highway with minimal effort as it is now. if i need to, i can get in front of whoever i need to now at a traffic light too.

so basically, 4 grand will be dumped to passing people with less effort. big deal.
Then you're obviously content with the power your car makes now. For those that want more power they'll step up and add the S/C'er

if you spend 3 grand for a S/C, might as well get the aftercooler too. that's like buying intake and exhuast and never buying a header.
Not at all. The aftercooler isn't required to make good power, although it is a nice addition for those who want the absolute most from their motor.

on top of that, comptech has delayed their S/C for a period that has expanded roughly a year. while i think it's great that they are working out kinks, i feel that their momentum has greatly been reduced.
If it were that easy to develop a product that will work well and not compromise the reliability of the car, everyone would be doing it. I'd rather wait longer for something good than get it quick and have problems with it (kinda like the Jackson Racing SC for the RSX).

on top of that, comptech has not officially released how much whp you will get with the blower. so your specualted 240 whp is nice, but there was once a thread that stated that the comptech blower only put 240 hp to the crank. and that was from comptech tsx display car at some show. cant remember what.
I don't believe Comptech has ever stated horsepower other than wheel horsepower, all of the gains listed on their site and all of their dynos are shown as wheel horsepower numbers. A TSX with I/H/E/Hondata will make 240 crank horsepower easily.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:39 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

These new supercharger kits provide
increases of 40 to 50whp for
the TSX and 50 to 60whp for
the TL. Both Eaton-type blowers
give a consistent increase
in power as engine speed
increases, giving impressive
mid range throttle response
and top end performance.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:43 PM
Team Owner

in power as engine speed
and top end performance.

Thank you.

Comptech dyno'd their TSX with I/H/E at 191whp. Add 50whp to that and what do you get???

191 + 50 = 241whp

From above:

I would suspect a TSX with I/H/E/SC @5psi to make 230-240whp
Old 04-28-2005, 02:46 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

in power as engine speed
and top end performance.
im talkin about this domn. dan closed the other thread that had the same info. not 240 whp.

Comptech TSX, supercharges horsepower from 200 to 240

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this is not a repost

2004 American Honda SEMA Display Vehicles Fact Sheet
Las Vegas 11/02/2004 --

Acura today unveiled an A-SPEC performance package for its RL luxury performance sedan at the 2004 Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) trade show in Las Vegas. It will go on sale in the spring of 2005 at Acura dealers nationwide.

The all-new Acura RL, which went on sale last month, features a bold new design, a powerful 300-horsepower engine, the SH-AWD all-wheel drive system and an assortment of leading-edge technology including a real time traffic information system. The RL A-SPEC package enhances the already crisp handling and aggressive styling with a track-tuned suspension package that lowers the car by approximately 3/4 inch, 18-inch alloy wheels equipped with Michelin Pilot Sport tires, an underbody kit, and a deck lid spoiler. The RL A-SPEC kit will be priced at approximately $5,500 plus dealer installation and covered under a factory warranty.

In addition to the A-SPEC equipped RL, Acura featured an assortment of high performance models by import tuners and racing companies. Making their debut at SEMA were two unique versions of Acura's hot-selling TSX sports sedan. The Comptech TSX, supercharges the 2.4-liter TSX engine and adds a cold air intake, plus a stainless header and exhaust system to increase horsepower from 200 to 240. Comptech springs, a rear sway bar and 18-inch tires increase handling precision while lending an even more aggressive look. The second TSX on display was the RealTime Racing TSX racecar driven by Pierre Kleinubing on the 204 SCCA Pro Racing SPEED World Challenge circuit.

Tuner icon RJ DeVera debuted his own interpretation of a high performance Acura TL performance luxury sedan. DeVera, who showcased a modified Honda Accord at last year's SEMA, utilized a combination of RO_JA and other aftermarket accessories with Acura A-SPEC parts to create a car aimed squarely at today's enthusiast buyer. It features an A-SPEC suspension, a custom RO_JA body kit, and a Comptech supercharger.

Also appearing in the Acura booth was a heavily modified Acura NSX supercar customized by Super Street Magazine and XMOS RC Racing. Featured on the October cover, this NSX was offered as first prize in the 2004 XMODS XRL National Tournament. It features over $30,000 in modifications from Volk, Rotora, Taitec and others.

For more information about Acura vehicles, please visit www.honda.com or www.acura.com. For media inquiries and high resolution images, please go to www.hondanews.com.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:49 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Ya I remember that. We were wondering if it was Crank or wheel HP. But regardless, in their latest release Comptech says 40-50WHP.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:49 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

in power as engine speed
and top end performance.
i guess we will all have to wait and see about that.

according to comptech, their tuned tsx w/ i/h/e makes a max of 191 whp so yes an additional 50 whp would make 240.

so can anyone explain why there was a press release saying that the comptech SC would put 240 instead of 200, which is not whp.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:52 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

You quoted an Acura press release. Its possible (likely) they understood the 240 was at the crank.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:55 PM
Team Owner

You quoted an Acura press release. Its possible (likely) they understood the 240 was at the crank.

Reporter: "So how much power is that putting out"

Comptech: "About 240"

Comptech always lists horsepower as wheel horsepower, not crank horsepower. And as we all know Acura, like all brands, advertise crank horsepower because the numbers are bigger.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:56 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks Steve !

You obviously know more about SC's than anyone on this board. I think the problem most here have with the SC is not that it cost $4500 but they have already put that kind of $ in their TSX. I just got a 05 TSX for the wife and after I put a body kit on it for her the next mod will prob be the SC . Hopfully the SC for the auto will soon follow . Later
Old 04-28-2005, 02:58 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Only one problem I have with Mr Steve.

He went with another CL-S instead of joining the TSX family.

And you could have got the S/C too steve :troutslap
Old 04-28-2005, 03:08 PM
Team Owner

Only one problem I have with Mr Steve.

He went with another CL-S instead of joining the TSX family.

And you could have got the S/C too steve :troutslap

And I would have gotten the S/C'er for the TSX. I had to make a choice between starting all over and modding a new car or buying one from someone I trust who already took care of the modding process for me. Trying to buy a house in 18-24 months and modding a car at the same time just doesn't work out

Although I did spend 3 weeks recently in a TSX loaner and enjoyed it... so did the woman. "OMG this car is so hot" blah blah blah
Old 04-28-2005, 03:10 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by nivla
You obviously know more about SC's than anyone on this board.
I wouldn't say that... Scalbert and others on the CL forum sure do know an awful lot. I just learned from experience with my car and researching other options (RSX & TSX).
Old 04-28-2005, 04:17 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

possible but unlikely imo.

esp since they stated from 200 to 240.

which 200 is of course our crank numbers.

:troutslap
Old 04-28-2005, 04:18 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

You obviously know more about SC's than anyone on this board. I think the problem most here have with the SC is not that it cost $4500 but they have already put that kind of $ in their TSX. I just got a 05 TSX for the wife and after I put a body kit on it for her the next mod will prob be the SC . Hopfully the SC for the auto will soon follow . Later
a bold statement for somone with only 3 posts.

jtso is very knowledgeable about S/C, and cars in general.

as is kurt_bradley.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:48 PM
Cruisin'

a bold statement for somone with only 3 posts.

jtso is very knowledgeable about S/C, and cars in general.

as is kurt_bradley.
Nothing bold about it .I've been lurking on the TSX site for 6 mo's . only until a few weeks ago did I get my wife a TSX .

PS: # of post does not mean squat. I've been riding and wrenching on Harley's for 25 years, I may have 2 dozen post on the web about it ?
Old 04-28-2005, 05:01 PM
Top notch 6MT

Nothing bold about it .I've been lurking on the TSX site for 6 mo's . only until a few weeks ago did I get my wife a TSX .

PS: # of post does not mean squat. I've been riding and wrenching on Harley's for 25 years, I may have 2 dozen post on the web about it ?
good point... many posts (that I made anyway, haha) are PW material anyway

sorry dzuy, you are this time :troutslap
Old 04-28-2005, 07:12 PM
Advanced

will this kit from comptech work with 05's that we know of ... or are we shafted again?
Old 04-28-2005, 07:35 PM
Team Owner

possible but unlikely imo.

esp since they stated from 200 to 240.

which 200 is of course our crank numbers.

Sounds like you get off on disagreeing. So are you saying that a SC'ed TSX is only going to make 240 crank hp? Straight out of Comptech's mouth. 40-50whp gain. Simple math really 191 + 50 = 241.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:36 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

good point... many posts (that I made anyway, haha) are PW material anyway

sorry dzuy, you are this time :troutslap

ok i'm owned

so i'm gonna buy a comptech S/C too so i can myself.

^^ no i'm not.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:41 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

Sounds like you get off on disagreeing. So are you saying that a SC'ed TSX is only going to make 240 crank hp? Straight out of Comptech's mouth. 40-50whp gain. Simple math really 191 + 50 = 241.
i'm not disagreeing for the sake of debating. all i did was merely point out an press release that was discussed in these forums several months ago.

were it explicitly says an increase from 200 to 240 hp. it does not say wheel horsepower. i dont care if comptech "always uses wheel horsepower". the article does not specify wheel horsepower.

we all can assume all day long - but until comptech comes out and says - we make 240 whp, it's all fluff.

and i never said i dont believe comptech S/C w/ i/h/e COULDN'T produce 240, i asked why it was not mentioned if the power was to the wheels or not.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:10 PM
Team Owner

Comptech already has said it will make 40-50whp. What more do you need?

I believe Comptech over some press release that was probably written by some rookie staff writer.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:16 PM
Advanced

does anyone know if this is just for the 04 or will it work with the 04+? i know its just for the manual but does anyone know the idea of them doing the AUTO since there are ALOT MOER AUTO"s out there..
Old 04-28-2005, 08:17 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

Originally Posted by acuratsxms
does anyone know if this is just for the 04 or will it work with the 04+?
not sure, i think it will work for 04 up.

only for MT tho.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:26 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

didn't comptech say that it was waiting for hondata to be released before the S/C would be released?

so what happens now?

there is a large number of hondata tsx's now - even hondata suggested using the comptech blower for more low end power.

well, that and cams.

that kinda sucks for anyone who wanted the blower and bought hondata. 600 bucks for nothing?

too much specualtion. oh well. time will reveal all.

i wonder how much the kit will retail for, esp since they are releasing "a state of the art ACM module"
Old 04-28-2005, 09:03 PM
Advanced

it will be a $$ load. what i dont understand is there should not be much if a difference in the auto and MT why not just say yes the auto is soon future is it isnt that much MORe work.

Quick Reply: Comptech Supercharger- It's Official