Comptech SS exhaust problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 11:20 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comptech SS exhaust problem

hey guys with the comptech exhaust. has anyone noticed that the exhaust rattles pretty bad over bumps? i have pinpointed it down to right after the midsection where is curves into the resonator. when i go over bumps and such it hits the heatshield and the gastank thats right above it. its been doing it for some time now and its getting annoying. ive never noticed anyone commenting on this topic. so if people just never have it or just live with it. anyone ever experience this? give me some feed back thanks
Old 11-24-2006, 09:19 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You need to adjust the exhaust to maximize clearence.
Old 11-24-2006, 03:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
The exhaust has proper clearance. You can bend back the heat shield. Re-adjust the exhaust as was mentioned.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:58 PM
Instructor

hmm how do i adjust it its all bolt on. the y pipe is the piece that is hitting the heatshield i can move that but what about the gas tank....cant move that. if i move the y pipe everything will move with it. it wont be level anymore, one side will sit higher unless the hangers hold it in place. just funny how im the only guy with this
Old 11-24-2006, 10:19 PM
Suzuka Master

loosen up all the connections and then move the exhaust around on the rubber hangers. Once you get all the proper clearences, then you tighten them up.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:51 PM
Instructor

What's up guys'. I've had my Comptech CB installed for about 2 weeks now. And I notice sometimes when going over bumps, and sometimes just when idling at a light, I'll hear a rattling coming from the back end.

I had this profesionally installed at a local shop, and watched them do it, and it looked like everything was bolted on, tightend correctly. Mufflers were aligned etc.

What exactly needs to be adjusted? I noticed moda_way said "You need to adjust the exhaust to maximize clearence."

Since it's a bolt on product, what more can be adjusted? Anybody know if there are any certain things I can do, or ways to have things positioned on the rubber hooks to make the rattling stop?

Does the heat sheild need to be bent back like Excelerate mentioned? Is that cause any undesirable effects to anything else?

Thanks for any help info!

P.S To sum up what I was saying, I am going to bring it back to the shop I had it installed at, so they can put it on the lift, but what specifically should I tell them to do, to make it so I don't get the rattling?

Thanks again guys!
Old 11-29-2006, 05:59 PM
Suzuka Master

When I installed mine, as I'm sure your shop did, I first loosely tighten the bolts when it is all hanging there. Then I adjust it to maximize clearences by pushing up the system on the rubber hangers or back them off. Once in place, you tighten it up ( I did mine from front to back). As for the rattle, one of my resonantor cans had a faulty weld inside of it. I sent it back under warranty (e.g. they sent me a new one and when they got mine, they refunded me). It was 2 weeks old. I haven't had a single problem since.