comptech icebox + dry charger?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 03:37 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
comptech icebox + dry charger?

i'm *this* close to getting the comptech icebox.

for further protection, i'm thinking (very non-scientific) if i should try covering the j-pipe's opening with the drycharger/hydroshield OR using the drycharger/hydroshield as a "mesh" behind slotted fog light cover OR maybe doing both.

anybody see any advantage/disadvantage to this approach? yes, i'm paranoid. this is my daily driver and winter rain in hawaii can be brutal. heck, it rains here at all odd times of the year with no notice. i know most of the "puddle" areas in the areas i always drive in but you never know... i'm trying to get max protection for some ease of mind before i do the mod. my car will never be lowered if that helps with your assessment.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:41 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Don't you need to be up to about the headlights before the CompTech Ice Box will suck in water? I don't have one so this is based only off of pictures I've seen of the install but I seem to recall that it uses the stock equipment forward of the air box. If that is indeed the case, Acura has already built a mechanism that will not suck up water until it's just above the headlights. I'm thinking what you want to do is totally unnecessary.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:11 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think the J-pipe goes down far enough to be worried about it (unlike some of the "true" CAI for our car) --- I'm in the same boat as you are... I've known (personally) one person that has hydrolocked their engine from an intake, and it's enough to scare the bajeezus out of me... I'm seriously considering the icebox too.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:32 PM
where is my garage?!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
unnessary as water actually has to travel up the j-pipe, then get through the filter/airbox, then the TB, etc...

the hydroshield only makes sence on the CAI b/c it's so much lower and exposed. and it helps to keep keep the filter cleaner too since it's fully exposed vs. the flat filter in the airbox.

the icebox is great, and i've gone through some pretty deep puddles or heavy rain with no issues. granted, i didn't go WOT through these puddles. i'm pretty cautious. but no issues.

the only relative PITA is taking the airbox lid off to clean the filter. i'm always paranoid that i'll drop one of those screws in the engine bay. or that i didn't screw down the lid tight enough.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:20 PM
Racer

so i guess the j-pipe doesn't go as far down as a traditional cai? and it does make sense that the orientation of the pipe+flat filter+air box would make it difficult to ingest huge amounts of water - the water would have to be by the headlights huh? at that point, i think you have bigger issues than hydrolocking!
Old 06-28-2008, 11:44 AM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
The only way you'll hydrolock an engine with the comptech icebox is if you put the car in a situation where an absolutely stock car will hydrolock.

It's pretty hard to hydrolock a stock car.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:17 PM
Racer

thanks for the info guys. i just bought the icebox from heeltoe so i'm really looking forward to installing it!