Comptech Exhaust Review and Write-Up

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 04:08 PM
ABP TSX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by TSX 3Pedal
WOW!...That exhaust just sounds so NICE!!! I want one soo bad now. But I think imma install the Injen CAI before anything though. Man, now I'm wondering how much more beautiful your car will sound with the Injen CAI. Are you planning on installing the intake soon?
I am really conflicted on the intake right now. JTso has all but sold me on the K&N. My main goal now is to NOT increase interior noise to a higher level. Performance is nice and all, but I really like the creature comforts of the TSX, and one was the fairly quiet interior. Plus, I am not sure my wife can take any more mods right now. I guess I need to find a 10 Step Program.

While changing out the stock speakers, I added quite a bit of Dynamat to the door skins and panels. I think that really helped reduce road noise and especially rattles. I spent some cash just on the Dynamat and of course the time on the install. But, that did help the sound quality as well. I am going to install a Dynamat Trunk Kit in the future to see if I can cut down the noise from the Comptech Exhaust. I may even install the Silencer Tip Inserts and negate any performance gain by the exhaust. There is that damn double edged sword.

Performance is not always my primary goal on a mod, hence the Comptech exhaust. I am well aware the performance gains are very marginal but I like the appearance, durability, and sound of the setup. I will not argue that it WAS expensive. I really wanted to wait on Greddy (2-3 more months) but that setup will be closer to $1k and will probably be louder anyway.

Intake:
I think the Injen and K&N are pretty close in the performance category. After doing much reading though, I believe that the K&N has a better fit, IMO. Then you have the Comptech (lowest price and probably quality) that looks close to stock but has less performance. Any way you slice it, they all increase noise in the interior to some degree. So I guess that will always be the trade off. Personally, I think the TSX has good power, but no harm in increasing that. Someone posted that Comptech is working on a SC for release in the next 12-18 months, so I may just wait on that. I would deal with that kind of noise.

The bottom line . . . . you will probably be reading about me installing some intake next week
Old 02-19-2004, 04:24 PM
Use all 3 Pedals at once

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's awesome!!! Which intake do you think you will most likely get? When you get it installe, I hope you will post more pics & sound/video clips
Old 02-20-2004, 11:08 PM
ABP TSX

I have the OEM body kit. I was wondering if the exhaust tips extend far enough to give it a clean look without the ehaust tips looking recessed behind the rear skirt. The reason I ask this is because when the dealer installed the OEM body kit, they also switched out the exhaust tips on the stock exhaust and replaced them with longer extended exhaust tips.
The OEM Kit easily clears the Comptech tips, so not heat or melting issues. I can take a picture tomorrow if anyone is still interested in seeing the clearance.

Please post here if you want to see a picture. I can take one tomorrow in the day light.
Old 02-21-2004, 04:03 AM
Use all 3 Pedals at once

Yes please take pictures...I want to see!!!
Old 02-21-2004, 03:20 PM
ABP TSX

Yes please take pictures...I want to see!!!

Old 02-21-2004, 03:39 PM
Use all 3 Pedals at once

WOW!!!...it has a really good fit and finish. The shot from behind looks sexy
Old 02-21-2004, 06:57 PM
Pro

Really nice set up! I really love the sound on that exhaust. I might just get comptech instead of Fujitsubo. The only thing that i don't like about Comptech is that the thickness of the tip is just too much to me. I'd like something thin, kinda like Fujitsubo setup.
About the more HP gains on stokeless_TSX's custom exhaust could it be the reason of other mods you have on your car???
Old 02-21-2004, 07:26 PM
Racer

That is very nice! That's the kind of clean deep sound I would want in an exhaust. Does anyone have a Mugen exhaust? I'm curious how those sound.
Old 02-23-2004, 01:43 AM
Stokeless

just a custom intake...thats it and the custom exhaust
Old 03-09-2004, 08:05 PM
ABP TSX

New Video Below:

Right Click and Save
Old 03-09-2004, 10:13 PM
cmf
ATCer

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you DO NOT have an intake. I'm trying to get an idea of how much louder it would be with one. Sounds badass though!
Old 03-09-2004, 10:14 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by KingV
sounds like my dad's M3... I like.
Every M3 that I've driven has had a wraspy exhaust note. It's caused by the crossover tube that connects the two sides together. Does your dad have an aftermarket exhaust on his M3?
Old 03-09-2004, 10:15 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
cmf, the sound of the exhaust would be unaffected by an intake. You'd only notice the intake when at full throttle and sitting inside the car.
Old 03-10-2004, 01:11 AM
Ayumi Hamasaki

that's sick, I love it. The sound is awesome, it's deep, and fairly quiet. It's nice to hear something throaty rather than having a loud lawn mower going down the road like some of these civics lol. But with the 230.00 Injen intake and the 1600.00 rims and tires, the Comptech exhaust is going to have to wait.

l8ers
Wess
Old 03-12-2004, 08:16 AM
ABP TSX

Thumbs up Dynamat Install

Ok everyone, I have an update on the interior noise. Let me say that I am a Dynamat fanatic now

I had one sheet of Extreme left over for the speaker upgrade from a month ago. I installed that Monday night under the spare donut. There was some factory sound dampening under the spare but not a whole lot. I cannot really say that made a difference. However, my Dynamat Trunk Kit was on the door step yesterday when I got home from work. The kit consists of 2 pieces of Extreme and 3 pieces of Original. I paid $64 for the kit shipped via UPS. If you install all 5 pieces it adds 8 pounds of weight to the car and well worth it IMO.

I removed the plastic vertical panel that fits over the trunk lock mechanism and covers the tail lights I covered that panel with a layer of Original and put the piece back in place. It was getting dark so I just closed the trunk. Now, I have only covered about 1/3 of the trunk and still have not removed the side panels to cover that part. I also intend to cover the bottom of “lift up” piece that covers the tools, etc. My plan is to cover any plastic or metal that has no dampening material between them. I am not sure if I will remove the panel on the actual trunk lid or not.

Results and Initial Impression
Honestly, I would have to estimate that 75% of the droan and noise increase is GONE. The biggest improvement happens above 2.5k to redline, meaning that the sound level is VERY close to stock. I was impressed with the result, and I still have ľ of the Trunk Kit left to install including the 2 panels of Extreme. Under full acceleration you can not hear the exhaust period. At idle I cannot hear any noise, but under acceleration you hear the deep tone until about 2.5k then OEM noise levels. Of course, this is inside the car.

Conclusion
If you are worried about noise increase with an aftermarket exhaust, install the Trunk Kit. All you need is some time and a small roller. I was impressed with the results. Hopefully, with the full kit installed, the noise increase from idle to 2.5k will go down as well. IMO it was worth the extra cost and effort to regain some of the quiet creature comfort.

Wifedar
She was skeptical of this “magic” dampening material but did admit that it was much quieter inside. That makes me wonder if I can now add an intake now since that hood would cover that install . . . . .

Hmmm, admitting you have a problem is the first step, LOL.
Old 03-12-2004, 08:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Excellent! any pics?
Old 03-12-2004, 09:18 AM
ABP TSX

Originally posted by JTso
Excellent! any pics?
I will get some over the weekend if the rain holds off long enough. I hate the Spring in Texas.
Old 03-12-2004, 09:43 AM
Baka Unco

I think the wifedar might go off on the intake if she ever drives the car. My fiance noticed it sounded different and doesn't drive fast at all (she doesn't even drive on the freeway she that afraid of driving fast). She's usually clueless about stuff like that but she did notice the difference. Maybe if you dynamat the firewall first. . . :P

Good luck.
Old 03-12-2004, 10:14 AM
TSX Bronco

The dynamat trunk kits sounds really intriguing. I'm really interested to hear your thoughts on it after you get the full kit installed. Please keep us updated!
Old 03-13-2004, 10:04 AM
ABP TSX

Well I completed the Dynamat Trunk last night well into the darkness of night. If you have not already installed a Trunk Net or want one, this is the time as everything will be pulled out during the process. That install would take about 10-15 additional minutes with all of the panels removed.

I covered everything as well as possible. The 5 sheets in the Kit are not enough product to complete EVERY uncovered surface in the Trunk, but it comes close. I had planned on covering the lift up part, but it has a fabric surface and Dynamat would not stick to it. I also did not have Dynamat to cover the actual trunk lid. That would probably help too.

The test drive afterwards revealed some additional decrease in sound, but not as quiet as stock. However, IMO it is close. If stock was a 1 and immediately after the Comptech Exhaust is a 10, the Dynamat Trunk kit gives you a 3-4. That is per the wife

I think it is worth it. The droan is gone, the slight vibration in the arm rest is gone, and you can easily hold a conversation at a normal tone. Under WOT at just about any RPM over 2k the level of roar is barely noticeable. If you have the stereo on, a window cracked, or the moon roof open then sound is stock IMO. I think it really returned quite a bit of the drivability of the car. I recommend the Dynamat Trunk Kit if you go aftermarket on the exhaust or make a custom setup.

BTW, my install pictures do not look nearly as nice as the ones on the Dynamat web site

Old 03-13-2004, 12:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

where did you get the kit? looks like a worthwhile investment, esp once i get my audio setup installed sometime.
Old 03-14-2004, 12:26 AM
Baka Unco

Have you thought about the spray/paint on version? It's called Dynashield. . . you can either paint it or spray it on (even have a Spray paint style can). You might remove the exhaust and spray on the underbody. . .

Here's a link to a pdf on it: http://www.dynamat.com/PDF/Dynamat_P...Dynashield.pdf

It's a bit pricey but it might help with the droning . . .
Old 03-14-2004, 12:45 AM
TSX Bronco

Thanks for the pics gsclifton. Looks like something worthwhile to put in my TSX. I still have a Boston Acoustics sub from my CL that I'm debating to install in the TSX so the dynamat will help if I ever decide to put the sub in too.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:31 AM
TSX Bronco

Etronics has the Dynamat Extreme trunk kit for $79.99. I think I'm going to go with that. A good thing for me is that Etronics ships to Canada, so you might be able to get it cheaper elsewhere.

I might end up picking a Rockford Fosgate amp for my 10" Boston Acoustics sub while I'm at it since I'll save a lot of money compared to buying the amp here. And I promised myself I'd stop spending money on the TSX until I got my windows tinted in the spring
Old 03-14-2004, 10:38 AM
ABP TSX

I bought the kit off eBay for $44 plus $20 shipping. I do not know about shipping to Canada though. The seller was webtroi, but I did not see any current auctions for the Trunk Kit. They also sell Bulk Kits of Extreme (9 sheets) for around $110 shipped.

I will have to look into the spray from Dynamat. I have seen that on their web site. I do not have an air compressor so I would be left with the canned stuff or the brush application.

I am pretty happy with the results so far.
Old 03-15-2004, 04:32 PM
Ayumi Hamasaki

I just got my comptech exhaust in today and the intake should be here within 2 hours. Freaking USPS, why do people use them to ship stuff. Haha it looks awesome and I can't wait until me and my cousin install it tonight .
We'll have to see how it goes, not sure if I'll need the dynamat or not yet.

l8ers
Wess
Old 04-18-2005, 12:55 AM
Racer

Nice write-up, well done
Old 04-18-2005, 01:20 AM
Senior Moderator

BlackAc036, good to see you doing some searching.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:41 AM
Cruisin'

Greddy Evo2 Cat-Back

I'm buying the Greddy Evo2 Cat-back in about a week is there anyone who has any experience with this exhaust on a 04 AT TSX ??
Sound, look and performance ???
Old 04-18-2005, 09:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Since this is a Comptech exhaust review thread, please search for an existing Greddy thread or start a new thread if one can't be found.

Thanks,
Old 04-27-2006, 02:50 AM
7th Gear

any one have a video of the exhaust while driving inside and outside of the car?