Change CAI for Comptech Icebox

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 09:44 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Change CAI for Comptech Icebox

Today I change my Injen CAI for the comptech IB. I did notice some diferrences before 3K rpm and very silence operation. With CAI the car feels stronger and the rpms go faster, the CIB is smoother but not as strong.

Your comments

Thanks to all.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you still have the CAI?...if so you interested in selling it?
Old 03-28-2006, 09:58 PM
Got Phó?

Why the change?
Old 03-28-2006, 10:45 PM
Instructor

1. Yes !!, I will use the CIB for a while to be sure if i like it or change back to CAI.
2. I want silence for a while and mantain stock looks.

Thanks for your reply's
Old 03-28-2006, 10:57 PM
The Power of a Grill

so you put the resonator box back in? (stock look)
Old 03-29-2006, 09:46 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The CAI robs you of more low end power than the CIB. With the CIB you should feel a little better pickup in low RPM then not as much in mid RPM and then a little bit more at the very top. There is a thread where someone posted a dyon comparison of the two.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Hey! I did this too!

Dude, you totally stole my idea!

Well, I've been eager to try the icebox, and I finally got around to swapping the Injen out today. In my limited drivetime experience so far, I enjoy the reduced noise (FAR reduced, nearly but not quite stock) and earlier, stronger throttle response. I did lose a bit of power in the high band, once I got above 4500 rpm w/ the Injen that needle would fly all the way to 7000 very quickly. It takes just a bit longer to get there now.

Pics are in order.

Intake parts everywhere.

For the record, this whole process of installing either Injen or Comptech can be done without even jacking the car up or removing the wheel. Just turn the wheel and you'll have enough room to work.

(yes i did install the air horn later)

Completed. Yeah I know, you've seen it before.

Injen post-uninstall. Its all boxed up now in case I want to sell it or use it again later. (anyone want to buy?)

Here's my question though. The Comptech instructions state to 'use the included hardware' to fasten the new Icebox lid to the stock airbox. However, there was no included hardware to do so, and no mention that it should be there on the parts list. I re-used the screws from the stock airbox lid. Re-using the old screws was difficult, as I had to compress the filter in the box pretty hard by hand to get the screws to even reach the bottom threading so they could fasten. This leads me to wonder if I'm using the wrong screws. One way or another, its on, and very tight now.

In doing all this I noticed that the new Uni-Foam air filter doesn't fit 'IN' the lower airbox like the old filter did, instead it fits on top of it, flushly.

Old filter in airbox bottom (not how there is a upper and lower part, and the lower part is recessed in the airbox:

New uni-foam filter, sitting flush with the top of the box, not recessed in it at all:

Is all of this normal behavior for an icebox? Should the foam filter just sit on top of the old box, with the comptech lid and screws securing it? If I get the K&N drop-in filter, will it sit more like the original paper filter? I would prefer something that at least seemed like it fit better. Now I know why many people installed weather stripping to really ensure a tight seal.

Comments and Questions welcomed.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:27 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Reach I might be interested for the Injen, but how loud is it? o_O I've heard of a lot of people switching to CIB because the Injen CAI was a tad bit loud =/
Old 03-29-2006, 11:36 PM
Burning Brakes

without jacking the car up?
foreal...craziness
Old 03-30-2006, 02:03 AM
Master Graphic Artist

Originally Posted by EuRTSX
Reach I might be interested for the Injen, but how loud is it? o_O I've heard of a lot of people switching to CIB because the Injen CAI was a tad bit loud =/
It's not that loud. I think it's only loud when you give it a go on the throttle. In all honesty it's not loud enough for me to want to get a Icebox or switch to stock.

The only thing I'm sort of annoyed with is that during your maintenance with Acura they are supposed to change your filter included in the price of the whole deal. They won't touch the K&N filter unless I pay extra for cleaning it.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:04 AM
Advanced

Nice pics, Reach. Any recollection as to how the Icebox compares to stock, especially at the low end?
Old 03-30-2006, 02:18 AM
Got Phó?

I love my Injen!!
Old 03-30-2006, 06:35 AM
Instructor

For all of you:

1. Driving daily with the injen was loud!!.

2. Yes the car was explosive in the rpms with the Injen, the CIB is quiet and the rpms does not climb very fast, but you can feel the car moving very quickly in the 6k rpm and up

3. In the low end the CIB is better and taking off from a stop light feels faster. The previous problem of managing the take off is better now.

4. Good compromise of power and comfort. ( I have everything comptech now from CIB, Header, Catback, Shifter, Hondata, etc ). Now I just hear the exhaust.

5. I wonder what change can be made if I put a 64mm TB and remove my cat??

Thanks to all for the feed back
Old 03-30-2006, 07:50 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by EuRTSX
if you can make a meet compare reach and tsx.fury's CIB with mine or DC_TSX's CAI
Old 03-30-2006, 09:28 AM
Senior Moderator

I wouldn't say the CAI was offensive loud, but it is louder. I really switched because I just wanted to compare them. But after I got it on, I think I'll be sticking with the 'box. Who knows tho, I change my mind often!

Oh, and I'd still really like an answer to the filter fitment and icebox lid screws questions

And I won't be making the mega meet guys, sorry. Wedding to go to, open bar!
Old 03-30-2006, 10:29 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by PixelHarmony
The only thing I'm sort of annoyed with is that during your maintenance with Acura they are supposed to change your filter included in the price of the whole deal. They won't touch the K&N filter unless I pay extra for cleaning it.
You can just clean it yourself and ask them to credit you the cost of the new filter which should be included with the original service price. I do that for oil changes (i.e. provide my own oil and ask for a credit for oil they didn't use).
Old 03-30-2006, 10:33 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Reach
Oh, and I'd still really like an answer to the filter fitment and icebox lid screws questions
I never tried the CT filter but the K&N filter fits all the way inside the lower box. The problem I had with the K&N filter is the opposite of yours. The CT lid would screw down all the way and still leave a little space. That's why I needed to add the weatherstrip. And, there were no new screws included with my Icebox either. I used the existing ones from the stock setup.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:59 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Reach
Dude, you totally stole my idea!

Well, I've been eager to try the icebox, and I finally got around to swapping the Injen out today. In my limited drivetime experience so far, I enjoy the reduced noise (FAR reduced, nearly but not quite stock) and earlier, stronger throttle response. I did lose a bit of power in the high band, once I got above 4500 rpm w/ the Injen that needle would fly all the way to 7000 very quickly. It takes just a bit longer to get there now.

Pics are in order.

Intake parts everywhere.

For the record, this whole process of installing either Injen or Comptech can be done without even jacking the car up or removing the wheel. Just turn the wheel and you'll have enough room to work.

(yes i did install the air horn later)

Completed. Yeah I know, you've seen it before.

Injen post-uninstall. Its all boxed up now in case I want to sell it or use it again later. (anyone want to buy?)

Here's my question though. The Comptech instructions state to 'use the included hardware' to fasten the new Icebox lid to the stock airbox. However, there was no included hardware to do so, and no mention that it should be there on the parts list. I re-used the screws from the stock airbox lid. Re-using the old screws was difficult, as I had to compress the filter in the box pretty hard by hand to get the screws to even reach the bottom threading so they could fasten. This leads me to wonder if I'm using the wrong screws. One way or another, its on, and very tight now.

In doing all this I noticed that the new Uni-Foam air filter doesn't fit 'IN' the lower airbox like the old filter did, instead it fits on top of it, flushly.

Old filter in airbox bottom (not how there is a upper and lower part, and the lower part is recessed in the airbox:

New uni-foam filter, sitting flush with the top of the box, not recessed in it at all:

Is all of this normal behavior for an icebox? Should the foam filter just sit on top of the old box, with the comptech lid and screws securing it? If I get the K&N drop-in filter, will it sit more like the original paper filter? I would prefer something that at least seemed like it fit better. Now I know why many people installed weather stripping to really ensure a tight seal.

Comments and Questions welcomed.
How much for the Injen? Peace.
Old 03-31-2006, 01:27 AM
Walking the Line

Great pics Reach, just what i needed since i am going to install the icebox tomorrow. I just got the reflash a couple days ago and i can't wait to get a little growl to go with the extra power.

Any comments on the icebox and hondata combination?

Thanks
Old 03-31-2006, 10:28 AM
Burning Brakes

hey i am wondering what do you use to pop off those bolts?
i tried to isntall but dang those bolts are hard to pop....any special tool?
Old 03-31-2006, 04:36 PM
Walking the Line

Just use a small flathead screwdriver. insert into the gap and give it a little twist. Should be pretty easy.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:28 AM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
anyone know if CAI is louder than Short RAM mode?
Old 04-18-2006, 09:36 AM
Senior Moderator

With the Injen, I believe you'll find SRI mode to be a fair bit louder. The Injen CAI is only loud in the high RPM ranges.