Cargo Net (non-oem)

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 07:11 PM
re-searching

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cargo Net (non-oem)

Hey there...
my first (real post)... and just as I was finishing this (the first time), Firefox crashed. Hopefully this isn't a "duplicate".

Anyway, I thought I would share my Cargo Net install. 'Woo-Hoo!' sez you. Okay, perhaps not the most scintillating of topics, but if you've thought twice about the price of the OEM net or don't quite feel like removing the trunk interior in order to install the OEM anchors - then check this out.

I bought a Bell cargo net from Canadian Tire. CDN$14. Cheap. Comes with the net, 4 mounting "knobs", some screws and generic installation instrutions. Find it here online.

This net is actually too long to fit properly between the wheel wells of the TSX. I fiddle around a bit trying alternate layouts - had it folded in half, lying flat on the floor clipped to the tie-down anchors in the trunk for a while (as inspired by another thread here on the forum). Then I had an idea...

I used 2 of the mounting "knobs" and attached them to the plastic panels at the back of the trunk that are used to access/replace the rear lamps (or "bulbs" if you prefer). The knobs are self-adhering, but I also used one of the supplied screws to firmly attach the knob to the plastic plate. Drilled an undersized hole (1/8" I think) and lined up the hole to intersect with the ribs on the back side of the plastic plate (trying to find a bit more meat for the screw threads to find - probably not necessary as it turns out). I put the knobs as far outboard as possible/practical - partially to stretch the net out more and also to keep the screw protruding out the back of the plastic panel away from the wire harness for the rear lights.

I bought some inexpensive plastic key chain ring/clips and have anchored the bottom of the net to the tie-down anchors at the back of the trunk either side of the trunk sill - just to keep the net from swinging around.

Overall this works pretty well - I've loaded it up with half a dozen grocery bags and everything is still hanging in there just fine. I'm not so sure I would use it to hold something massive - the anchorage is ultimately relying on the stiffness of the trunk interior (what is that, some sort of felt?) and isn't nearly as robust as mounting to the metal frame of the car (as is the case with the OEM install) but if you want something quick and cheap (so to speak) then consider this option.

Anyway, here's a photo:

and a crappy close-up:

rock on...
Old 11-23-2005, 08:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
You can also use the 350Z cargo net which hooks up to the factory mounting points.

Old 11-24-2005, 08:25 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by JTso
You can also use the 350Z cargo net which hooks up to the factory mounting points.
Any idea where I purchase this 350Z cargo net? I've looked in eBay but couldn't find anything. I guess I'll have to visit a Nissan's dealer??
Old 11-24-2005, 11:40 PM
Senior Moderator

You can get it from the Nissan dealer. It's not very expensive.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:44 PM
Race Director

how do u mount it
Old 11-24-2005, 11:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by RMATIC09
how do u mount it
The net comes with four hooks. You just hook them to the factory anchor points in the trunk.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:07 AM
Instructor

The net comes with four hooks. You just hook them to the factory anchor points in the trunk.
JTso, thanks for the great idea. A friend of mine who has a 350Z gave my his cargo net and it works well. Actually better than the OEM since I am able to hold more stuff
Old 11-27-2005, 11:17 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I asked for the 350Z coupe net for Christmas after seeing another thread on it.

Anyhow, in hindsight, I'm wondering how useful it might be. Say I'm haulin' groceries (isn't this the reason we all bought the TSX?)... is it easy to load 'em under the net without squighing everything?

The reason I ordered it was A: Because I could throw my golf clubs in the trunk on top of it when its empty (reason #2 for having the TSX). And B: Because I didn't like the look of the hanging net.

Opinions?
Old 11-29-2005, 11:55 AM
re-searching

[QUOTE=JTso]You can also use the 350Z cargo net which hooks up to the factory mounting points.

The first iteration of my net install followed your example. That worked OK but the net I have is - or appears to be - larger that the 350Z net. I folded mine in half and rotated it 90° so that the fold was closest to the passenger compartment and used the plastic key clips to latch the corners down to the trunk tie-downs. It worked well enough to hold a few things down against the trunk floor but I found it a bit annoying trying to slide things over it - the net has enough play that it would bunch up.

Oh well. First snow of the year - what fun - slip sliding away...
m
Old 11-29-2005, 11:56 AM
re-searching

The first iteration of my net install followed your example. That worked OK but the net I have is - or appears to be - larger that the 350Z net. I folded mine in half and rotated it 90° so that the fold was closest to the passenger compartment and used the plastic key clips to latch the corners down to the trunk tie-downs. It worked well enough to hold a few things down against the trunk floor but I found it a bit annoying trying to slide things over it - the net has enough play that it would bunch up.

Oh well. First snow of the year - what fun - slip sliding away...
m