Brake Lines: Goodridge vs StopTech vs Russell vs Comptech vs ...?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 10:13 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Brake Lines: Goodridge vs StopTech vs Russell vs Comptech vs ...?

I want to install some stainless steel brake lines to compliment the rest of my setup (RacingBrake rotors and Hawk HPS pads).

I've seen lots of references to the Goodridges, but does anybody have any experience with StopTech, Russell, or others (Comptech comes to mind)? I think they'd all perform about the same, so I think the primary considerations would be fitment and build quality. The StopTechs seem to be the most expensive, but they have stress relief collars that the others don't; for a few dollars more, this may be worth it.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:34 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by green_henry
I want to install some stainless steel brake lines to compliment the rest of my setup (RacingBrake rotors and Hawk HPS pads).

I've seen lots of references to the Goodridges, but does anybody have any experience with StopTech, Russell, or others (Comptech comes to mind)? I think they'd all perform about the same, so I think the primary considerations would be fitment and build quality. The StopTechs seem to be the most expensive, but they have stress relief collars that the others don't; for a few dollars more, this may be worth it.
i'm going to guess the comptech are rebraded either goodridge or russell
Old 08-06-2006, 08:07 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I think you're right.

I'm leaning toward the StopTechs because of the stress relief collars. I think that these will help prevent the ends of the hoses from fraying.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:16 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
I'm 99% sure that Comptech is re-labled Goodridge lines. Russell also provides a great product and is basically the same as Comptech and Goodridge. ROTORA coats their lines both internally and externally. I have no experience with the Stoptech lines though.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've had the Goodridge for almost 30k miles on my TSX. Everything is perfect with them... as expected.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:41 AM
Safety Car

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
so do they really feel firmer than stock lines?
Old 08-09-2006, 05:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by minkl81
so do they really feel firmer than stock lines?

I say yes, but others challenge it. Why? Well, when you do your brake lines, you do a brake flush. Others have challenged (and correctly so) that the brake flush was the firmness I'm feeling. However, I have had a few TSX owners drive my car (because of the RT Cat and Comptech I/H/E) and they notice that the brakes are slightly firmer.

Either way, I like them. Not the most fun mod in the world, but I had a dealer friend that got me them at a good price at the time.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:57 PM
Instructor

Anyone have any experiences with the SS rotora brake lines??
Old 08-28-2006, 04:07 PM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i couldn't be happier with my goodridge ss line - no sign of wear on my tsx (had em for about 20,000 miles) and never an issue on my deceased civic (50,000+ miles). i was experiencing a hint of brake fade, but haven't thought twice about it since install.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:52 PM
Pro

Another small issue to consider is the ability of a good SS line not to be as affected by high heat temps. If you hit the web and research the subject there is a lot of talk about OEM v. SS lines and how they handle high and residual heat build-up. Factor in years of heat cycling and the OEM's, I think, will not hold up over time. Next is to explore any inside coatings, etc. that they may have. I, BTW have the Goodridge SS lines and yes I can sense a stiffer pedal. I think you will really discover the difference in a panic stop situation.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:04 PM
8th Gear

I have had a set of Goodridge and Stoptechs on my ITR and both are nice products. I highly recomend the coated lines because it helps reduce getting dirt and other slop in the stainless braids which will cause the lines to break. I dont know what the lines look like for the TSX, but my Stoptechs are coated and the Goodridges arent. Whatever you choose just make sure you periodically check the lines, I do mine every oil change just to make sure they are clean.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:04 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, has CompTech (Goodridge) fixed the problem with connecters on the rear SS lines? I bought one of the first offerings (yes, my fault) and they did not fit - had to return to CompTech, called and scolded them and THNE the guy admitted they had not checked the fit. That was over a year ago, and I have not - yet - purchased them.
I want them!

I have a set of Goodridge on my autocross car ('89 Prelude Si) and the firmness is great - especially when you're left foot braking.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by gkkitag
So, has CompTech (Goodridge) fixed the problem with connecters on the rear SS lines? I bought one of the first offerings (yes, my fault) and they did not fit - had to return to CompTech, called and scolded them and THNE the guy admitted they had not checked the fit. That was over a year ago, and I have not - yet - purchased them.
I want them!

I have a set of Goodridge on my autocross car ('89 Prelude Si) and the firmness is great - especially when you're left foot braking.

I probably have the same Goodridge lines that they offered b/c I've had mine on well over a year now. I didn't have any fitment issues. I actually got mine from stillen.com.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I got my Goodridge lines from Tirerack last year in Sept and no problem with fitment either.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:15 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by JTso
I got my Goodridge lines from Tirerack last year in Sept and no problem with fitment either.

Same for me except I got mine this year, also from Tirerack.