Best Clutch, Flywheel combo?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 03:58 PM
Special-K

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best Clutch, Flywheel combo?

I am purchasing both a racing clutch and light weight flywheel.. but not sure on what would be the best combo? Does anyone have any suggestions? what works for you guys? I heard Exedy clutches eat up trannies.. is this true?? but thanks for any and all help..
Old 10-25-2006, 12:36 AM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
I've had Exedy stage 1 clutch and JUN lightweight flywheel in my Integra; and Exedy stage 2 clutch and JUN lightweight flywheel in my Prelude. Both worked great. The stage 1 clutch felt just like stock clutch, but with a little more clamping force than stock. The stage 2 clutch has a stiffer pedal feel. Obviously, it grabs very well, much better than the stage 1. Both are very "streetable".

I knew a guy with a Prelude, and he had ACT heavy duty clutch. That was a pain when I drove it from my house to his which was like a 40+ mile drive. I stalled his car so many times just trying to pull out of my driveway. It was too stiff, IMO.

As for the flywheel, my JUN flywheels were amazing. Both of them were around 11 lbs each. The engine felt so much alive. Both my Integra and Prelude could rev up so quick. I love it. This is just my preference, I prefer a lightweight flywheel that is made out of chromoly steel, rather than aluminum like the Fidanza flywheel. The reason is that the chromoly steel has a less tendency to warp. Don't get me wrong, I've heard some positive reviews on the Fidanza. But it's just my preference. If I were to change the flywheel in my TSX, I'll probably go with the Comptech one.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:49 AM
VSA Rocks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You might get the best feedback from the K24A2 swap crowd. They've tried tons of combos out there. I think there are only a small handful of members here that have even considered this.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Originally Posted by PrecyseStylez
I am purchasing both a racing clutch and light weight flywheel.. but not sure on what would be the best combo? Does anyone have any suggestions? what works for you guys? I heard Exedy clutches eat up trannies.. is this true?? but thanks for any and all help..

Clutches don't eat trannies. Clutch feet eat trannies!

We eclusively use Clutch Specialties clutches and AASCO flywheels. Reliable, powerful, easy on the foot, hand-made to order, and customizable for your needs.

Look for a special on these soon!

Marcus
Old 12-18-2006, 12:18 PM
Instructor

Exedy stage 1 clutch and DC5R flywheel installed!

I have just finished installing the following 2 items on my car:

1) RSX-S Exedy stage 1 clutch set

2) DC5R flywheel, which weighs 10lb and is from JDM Integra type R (our RSX)

I am very happy with the setup. The clutch pedal doesn't feel that much different from stock (if any) and there is a little bit more grip. The flywheel makes the engine rev up faster, but only a little. The car feels just a little lighter and a little more fun to drive, but nothing significant. The lighter flywheel does not affect steet drivability at all after you get used to it. I only stalled a few times during the first day.

Installation went OK, but I found out that someone has messed with my tranny before. It had no oil at all! Many bolts were half loose, including the onces on the flywheel! And none of the clutch parts were greased at all. Agr!

DIY installation advice:
1. Make sure you know what you are getting into before you start. I changed clutches before and this is the hardest I have seen, as the whole subframe needs to be dropped.

2. Get 2 people to help you

3. Don't forget to unscrew the following from the subframe: rack&pinion, power steering hose

4. Don't pull on the axles with any force as you can pull out the CV joints, and they will be a mess to put back together (had this problem with my Accord)

5. Don't forget to disconnect a sensor to the AC line before dropping the subframe, or you will tear it, like I did.

6. There is one bolt near the starter underneath the intake manifold that you will need to unscrew. You will need to remove the intake manifold to get to it.

7. Torge the flywheel bolts to 76 and pressure plate bolts to 19. Use a torque wrench!

8. Apply high temp grease on the release bearing, fork, and tranny shaft; but DON'T grease the pivot spring as it has a special coating on it already.

9. Connect the vacuum hose to the front mount BEFORE you screw on the subframe.

10. Triple check everything. Make sure that you screwed everything back to the subframe and connected all the plugs.

11. You will need 3 quarts of tranny fluid (actually 2.1). I used Redline MTL.

12. Consider changing your front brakes, front struts, header, shifter bushings, intake, and/or intake manifold gasket while you do this. You will need to do less total work if you do it all at once. On the other hand the project is huge even without these extras.

13. Let the new clutch break in for about 500 miles.

14. Be ready to spend at lot of time on this project (10-15 hours) and be ready to leave your in the garrage for a while if anything goes wrong.

15. If your clutch is not dead, it's probably better to leave it as is, and not go through this pain just to mod your car. Just my 2 cents.

Hope this helps!

MBA
Old 12-18-2006, 04:26 PM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
congrats and the purchase and diy! i don't know who the f was messing with your tranny in the first place, but they need to be shot
Old 12-18-2006, 05:19 PM
Instructor

I bought the car used, who knows where he took it before...
And the pressure plate (and I guess the clutch) was not OEM. It said it was made in England, and I am certain that Acura's parts are NOT made in england. Go figure.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:07 PM
PJS
Burning Brakes

Contract manufacturer for Honda Europe maybe?
One part for a limited production car (ITR) that made sense to make in one location in quantity rather than here, there, and everywhere in small runs with the associated hike in cost.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:11 PM
Intermediate

I've used several clutches in the past. Centerforce, ClutchMaster, and ACT. I have always had great results with ACT clutches.

You should keep a couple things in mind when selecting a clutch. One, how much power are you currently making and will make in the near future. Two, how much city driving do you do on a daily basis.

The answers to these questions should be what guide you to your clutch selection.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:10 AM
kai!

I have the Exedy Stage 1 Organic Kit with the Exedy Racing Flywheel and I must say it is amazing compared to the stock kit. I totally f'ed up my stock clutch and flywheel because I was just learning how to drive manual but after it went out I decided to pay 50 bucks less than what the dealer was going to charge me for stock parts and ordered my own parts. The engine revs so much quicker than the stock setup and I feel like the acceleration overall has increased significantly. I'd like to compare with someone with a stock setup to confirm though, but don't know anyone with an 06 manual in the area.

btw, my driving has improved a lot and I barely ever do anything to cause wear to the clutch anymore...learned the hard way
Old 12-19-2006, 09:44 PM
Instructor

I am glad you like your Exedy setup. My flywheel is 10.5 lb and I wish I would have installed something a bit lighter, like the Exedy flywheel. Maybe the next mod will be racing pullies, which will have a similar effect as a lightweight flywheel.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:05 AM
Instructor

The clutch that I took off my car was definetely not OEM. The pressure plate has an "AP" on it, which probably means that it was an "AP Racing" brand clutch. Part number is LC 03KD 038A and it says "Made in england".

Does anyone have any idea what kind of clutch that was?
Old 12-21-2006, 01:46 AM
kai!

I'd recommend Exedy Stage 1 Organic Clutch Kit and Exedy Racing Flywheel combo for stock pedal feel, but vastly improve engine response
Old 12-21-2006, 10:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
I think it is ironic how everyone is saying how they love their Exedy clutches, yet all the comments about improved performance pertain to they flywheel. The Exedy stage 1 clutch is a stock replacement part IMO.

Marcus
Old 12-22-2006, 11:49 AM
Special-K

I have the Exedy stage 2 clutch and flywheel.. but thanks for the info guys..
Old 05-19-2008, 08:14 PM
05 Aussie Euro 6MT

Any reason this :

EXEDY RACING STAGE 1 CLUTCH KIT+FLYWHEEL ACURA RSX K20
HF02
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EXEDY...mZ150179990179

Wont fit the TSX/CL9?

looks like a good price.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I was told by Fidanza the following (of course they were building me a lightweight flywheel at the time):

Here are a few things that are definitely reason for using TSX specific.

-Engagement from the engine mount to the ring gear is different.
-The step from the clutch to the friction plate is different.

I'm running the Fidanza lightweight flywheel and ACT 6 puck (aggressive) done through Excelerate.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:41 PM
05 Aussie Euro 6MT

Originally Posted by moda_way
I was told by Fidanza the following (of course they were building me a lightweight flywheel at the time):

Here are a few things that are definitely reason for using TSX specific.

-Engagement from the engine mount to the ring gear is different.
-The step from the clutch to the friction plate is different.

I'm running the Fidanza lightweight flywheel and ACT 6 puck (aggressive) done through Excelerate.
So you are telling me that the RSX K20A EXEDY clutch and flywheel doesn't fit/work with a K24 CL9/TSX?

Everything else ive read here says it does.. can you elaborate?

I just ckeck the EXEDU USA site

http://www.exedyusa.com/race/08806

Same part number for TSX as RSX same with Lightweight flywheel as well.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:29 PM
Advanced

nah think tahts cos hes got the fidanza flywheel which was developed to work with the k24 clutch which is different than the k20
but if u replace the whole clutch unit then any k-series clutch should fit
Old 05-20-2008, 11:15 PM
Special-K

Im on my second Exedy stg.2 clutch... and everything fit just fine.. no issues.. my first exedy clutch went out on me in 30K miles though! I had acura install it and i believe they did something wrong because after getting this second one installed by a tuner shop.. this damn thing grabs and feels alot stiffer than when acura installed it! Gears engage like cutting a hot knife into butter! I was gonna go with Findanza flywheel and an ACT clutch but alot of the RSX guys have been saying that they give them tranny problems and just problems in general.. so they sway away from ACT.. Might be the higher revs.. so i just went with another Exedy clutch..
Old 05-21-2008, 01:00 AM
05 Aussie Euro 6MT

Ive been told by two dealers that the EXEDY K20a clutch and flywheel will not fit.

I dont know why. I am look at one of the RSX exedy oem plus Exedy 8.9 lb racing flywheel for the RSX but not sure if it will fit.

You reckon the Stage 1 clutch would be a lot stiffer and harder to use than the normal exedy clutch?
Old 05-21-2008, 02:10 AM
Special-K

Originally Posted by Suntzu
Ive been told by two dealers that the EXEDY K20a clutch and flywheel will not fit.

I dont know why. I am look at one of the RSX exedy oem plus Exedy 8.9 lb racing flywheel for the RSX but not sure if it will fit.

You reckon the Stage 1 clutch would be a lot stiffer and harder to use than the normal exedy clutch?
Well those 2 dealers told you wrong.. we pretty much share the same transmission as the rsx-s.. just different gear ratios.. even our gear sets are interchangable. Why go with something thats feels OEM??.. Get the Stg.2 and call it a day! . The Stg.2 will be alot stiffer than the stock OEM clutch from Acura. It will grab alot harder as well..will take some getting use to if you have never driven a car with an aftermarket clutch. Cant go wrong with this setup though.. Find Excellerate.. he's one of the vendors here.. he can get it to you ASAP!
Old 05-21-2008, 05:19 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by enkay
nah think tahts cos hes got the fidanza flywheel which was developed to work with the k24 clutch which is different than the k20
but if u replace the whole clutch unit then any k-series clutch should fit
Correct. You need the whole K20 flywheel/clutch pack to make it work. I just wanted somethin specifically for the K24 that way I can put a stock clutch in there or anything meant for the K24 and not have to worry about explaining it later to someone.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:18 AM
05 Aussie Euro 6MT

Ok,

This is the package I want

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...AQ:MOTORS:1123

Its a sale for the RSX but its the same part numbers for the TSX. ( i checked on exedy website)

So can anyone confirm if this is the correct package for the TSX? Looks ok to me.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Suntzu
Ok,

This is the package I want

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...AQ:MOTORS:1123

Its a sale for the RSX but its the same part numbers for the TSX. ( i checked on exedy website)

So can anyone confirm if this is the correct package for the TSX? Looks ok to me.
Only thing I would do is check with Excelerate or MrHeelToe to see if they do these kits. Support our site vendors first, then look at ebay. Our vendors have a vested interest in us and support us.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:53 AM
05 Aussie Euro 6MT

Will do. cheers
Old 05-29-2008, 04:20 AM
05 Aussie Euro 6MT

Anyone else tried these Exedy stage 1 and lightweight flywheel packages for the K20 in their TSX?

Any day to day issues? Interested in general comments about drivability..
Old 03-16-2009, 04:22 PM
Instructor

Yes, my favorite setup is Exedy stage 1 clutch and RSX-S flywheel.

Cheapest too.

MBA
Old 03-21-2009, 05:35 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
i am using an act streetlite flywheel and clutchmasters fx300 clutch....takes plenty of abuse (have used these clutches in all of our k20/k24 swaps into eg/ef/ek/dc's)..used a k20 combo as it was readily available over here and clutch feels like stock.....also BIG NOTE: YOU DO NOT HAVE TO REMOVE THE SUBFRAME TO DO CLUTCH AND FLY!!!!!!!!
if there are 2 people on the job then its easy to do.....there is just enough room to do it in situ and saves you a hell of alot of time...one person has to hold the gearbox steady and out of the way while the other swaps it over...we have even managed to remove the whole gearbox with subframe still in....just remove the vss, the shifter mechanism on top and sit the radiator on top of the engine...super easy and takes half the time
Old 04-08-2009, 08:49 AM
Cruisin'

Putting an Exedy in my car this week. Whoo Whoo. with the lightweight flywheel
Old 04-09-2009, 11:28 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
which exedy clutch are you going with? I would like to get your firsthand feedback afterwards since we're local. I have yet to find any TSX's modded in the Austin area.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:15 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by 04-6mt-atx
which exedy clutch are you going with? I would like to get your firsthand feedback afterwards since we're local. I have yet to find any TSX's modded in the Austin area.
Most likely going with the stage one because I don't like the feel of a 3 puck disk and the hyper single cost to much. I have not seen any nice tsx's around either. Nice to know someone else in the 512 is having fun with theirs. Ill let you know when I install it.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:06 AM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ATXtsx05
Most likely going with the stage one because I don't like the feel of a 3 puck disk and the hyper single cost to much. I have not seen any nice tsx's around either. Nice to know someone else in the 512 is having fun with theirs. Ill let you know when I install it.
Old thread, but I'm at 100k and my clutch is starting to have issues.

What's the long-term perspective on the setup?
Old 03-11-2012, 10:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
am going with the clutch competition stage 4 for my turbo setup. had this in my si also . not for everybody
Old 03-13-2012, 03:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by green_henry
Old thread, but I'm at 100k and my clutch is starting to have issues.

What's the long-term perspective on the setup?
If you don't abuse your vehicle just get an OE replacement setup like this:

http://store.excelerateperformance.c.../i-126223.aspx

If you abuse it and need it to hold more power.

http://store.excelerateperformance.c...6/i-34409.aspx

http://store.excelerateperformance.c...2/i-34615.aspx
Old 03-13-2012, 11:08 PM
Racer

Hey, Josh

I don't abuse it per se, but I do have a little more power than stock, so I ordered the Exedy pairing yesterday (from you) Thanks for the quick service and great price!

Now I'm debating over who should install it: the dealership (rip off, but competent in my experience) or the local tuner shop (definitely competent with suspensions, but I'm not sure that clutches are their forte). If anybody can recommend a good shop in the East Bay, let me know!
Old 04-03-2012, 09:21 PM
Racer

Installation completed this morning. So far, so good. Yes, I did manage to stall it once ... but only once (so far) .

The difference in clutch engagement is subtle. The mechanic commented that he was surprised how smooth it was compared to the lightweight flywheel that he had installed on a BMW Z3, so I think a lot of the anecdotal comments about lightweight flywheels needing more throttle are based on the behavior of other cars, not TSXs. He was also very impressed with the quality of the Exedy parts.

Unfortunately, I need to keep the shifts below 4k for the first 500 miles, so I can't comment on how it behaves when driving aggressively, but I don't anticipate any problems.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:05 PM
TSX4LIFE

Exedy Stage 1 with their lightweight flywheel works very well for most street applications. Lot's of people have this combo so you know it probably works well for most.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:45 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just installed 3 days ago my exedy stage 1 and exedy lightweight flywheel from josh with a new clutch slave and master cylinder and im still breaking it in, but its awesome. Just need 250 more miles till 500 cant wait!
Old 03-28-2013, 02:47 PM
Instructor

LOL almost @100k and trying to figure out which clutch/fw is for me. I keep reading exedy clutch and DC5R FW. anyone have this particular setup? I dont want any chatter if possible? Any Input would be appreciated. I dont abuse the car but sometimes my driving is a little spirited everynow and then.
My Mods: CAI,HFC, greddy EVO2. Planning for header, LSD, maybe pulleys and RRC.

Quick Reply: Best Clutch, Flywheel combo?