Anyone With Hondata Please Read

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 02:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Not to mention the "reflash" is not custom tuned to your specification. Therefore, you results may vary.
Old 08-28-2005, 02:32 PM
send me a link to JDM??

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fdl
What you feel with a butt dyno is so subjective. Maybe you were expecting too much? Hondata doesnt give any guarantee's on how it gonna "feel" to you. Take it and get it dyno'd. If the dyno shows the increases as advertised then you were just expecting too much. If the dynos show no changes then perhaps there was some sort of problem.
dyno really isn't neccessary if she can see the vtec and redline change... its pretty obvious that its just that she expected too much. If the vtec point and the redline are changed its def reflashed
Old 08-28-2005, 03:08 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ZtotallynakedZ
"25 degrees of cam movement is fine for a stock TSX engine but completely inadequate for modified engine with as little as race headers and intake. A stock engine needs no more than 20 degrees of cam moment on the high cam. A well modified setup needs no less than 25 degrees on the high cam. Take a good look at the modifications we made to the VTC mechanism. If you have a TSX you are going to need these changes. Although you could probably purchase and bolt on an RSX VTC mechanism for 50 degrees travel, there is less valve to piston clearance on the TSX pistons. Our measurements suggest 45 degrees maximum cam movement is much safer. Allowing the full 50 degrees movement leads to a greater risk of valve to piston contact should you accidentally mis-shift and over-rev"
Has anyone done this? I have a 2005 and I was wondering if I'd have to do it when (and IF) Hondata releases the reflash.... from the sounds of it NakedZ you might want to get this done....

I'd also say that you do sound a bit spoiled with your access to various modified cars and as a result probably had very high expectations.. You keep saying "don't flame me for comparing the M3 and M5 to the TSX" but it is in fact what you keep doing... Those engines are noticably different from the TSX engine and the reflashes are different as well. Most, if not all, of those reflashes (1.8T, M3, M5) add HP and as many have pointed out the Hondata does not... I know for a fact that the VW/Audi 1.8T is VERY crippled in the stock config and reflashing can open up a ton of HP in the curve.... (My last car was a 2001 Turbo Jetta with the 150HP 1.8T... in 2002 they bumped it to 180, but people can hit over 200 with a reflash and lite modding)....

Also, if you go out for a run in your boyfriends modified M3 and then hop into the TSX you may be "tainting" the experience a bit as well...
Old 08-28-2005, 03:52 PM
Pimpin Ain't Easy

I am coming from a 1.8t Jetta and with just the ecu upgrade where there was a huge difference in power.
Now, I do not have the Hondata reflash because I have an 05. From what I have read it lowers the vtec and you will see some more performance from the vehicle.

You gotta realize our cars do not have a lot of torque so your not going to notice that "throw you back in your seat feeling." So if the reflash did lower the v-tech and did advance your torque and timing. So you got what was supposed to happen.

I guarantee that is you were to do a 0-60 or a 1/4 mile times and it will be faster. That would be the true test.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:20 PM
STi'd

I'm all stock aside from Hondata and I noticed a nice increase in performance even below 5000rpm, not to mention its great when shifting at 7600 since you don't fall off the vtec cam and stay above 5k.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:52 PM
WAS HONDATAFIED IN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my 2 pennies....... i'm hondarafied, with no header, but cai......i also did notice an increase in power, not a surge, but an increase...... the only thing i am thinkng is that another member here got reflashed and had a loss of power after 5000 rpm, while it isn't a widespread problem, it might be that a few certain tsx's ecu's are not acceptong the reflashes, maybe ones with a really late build date??? i don't know, just giving my opinion, i think a dyno should be had to verify the gain/or losses, and then go from there
Old 08-28-2005, 06:32 PM
Drifting

i don't have the power below 5000 i don't have an increase in anything unless i redline the shit out of it. thats where my concern lies. ill know tommorrow whats up and i know a great dyno place. i just really thought i would experience everything everyone was talking about. i pulled out of the lot in my car and immediately got on the phone with my boyfriend and was like wtf theres nothing. kept driving it and there still is nothing. its just very dissapointing and a waste of money as of right now
Old 08-28-2005, 07:21 PM
TSX User

Wonder if the third party is willing to do a dyno on behalf of Hondata, just to prove that the reflash was not simply a shift in VTEC threshold and raised RPM limit.

I do think Ontilt brings up a very good point. I imagine it would be hard to be objective when you are comparing to an M3.

Regardless, buyer beware!!!
Old 08-28-2005, 07:50 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Ontilt
I am coming from a 1.8t Jetta and with just the ecu upgrade where there was a huge difference in power.

cant really compare though. the ecu reflash on the 1.8 turbo increases psi and can add like 30 hp. Things arent as easy on a NA motor
Old 08-28-2005, 10:44 PM
Pimpin Ain't Easy

Originally Posted by fdl
cant really compare though. the ecu reflash on the 1.8 turbo increases psi and can add like 30 hp. Things arent as easy on a NA motor
Well, no crap!! I was stating that there was a huge difference between the two in my post. Plus, given the fact that the TSX is NA, then there shouldn't be a huge difference from just the chip/flash alone.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:47 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
You're not taking full advantage of the Hondata reflash BECAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE A HEADER.

As long as you don't have the header on, you will not feel as much of a power increase as the others who do have this mod. This is because Hondata designed their program with a CAI and header included.

It is pretty simple in fact. The reflash will add a more agressive fuel map to take into account that the CAI and header allow the engine to breathe better. If you only have a CAI but not a header, the engine can suck it easily, but cannot push the exhaust any faster than stock. If you give it the fuel map it would need in order to work well with CAI and header, but don't have it on your car, the result is that your fuel mixture is not good. The O2 sensors will know this and order the ECU to lean back down. Your upgrade is then cancelled.

No need to blame hondata. Get the right complementary equipment and it will work well.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:51 AM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by sauceman
You're not taking full advantage of the Hondata reflash BECAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE A HEADER.

As long as you don't have the header on, you will not feel as much of a power increase as the others who do have this mod. This is because Hondata designed their program with a CAI and header included.
Not in my case. I felt the difference even with stock everything else. I just think that either her expectation was too high or her butt dyno is messed up.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:23 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by vwong
Not in my case. I felt the difference even with stock everything else. I just think that either her expectation was too high or her butt dyno is messed up.
I would vote for the latter. If she's grown accustomed to a chipped M3 then the TSX, hondata or not, will just not compare.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:15 PM
Drifting

headers are being done this week, even though i didn't want to go that route and car is getting dynoed tonight or tommorrow at some point.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:01 PM
Senior Moderator

headers are being done this week, even though i didn't want to go that route and car is getting dynoed tonight or tommorrow at some point.
I must give you credit for not giving up so easily. I would wait for the header install before the dyno though. Please let us know how it goes.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:16 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by JTso
I must give you credit for not giving up so easily. I would wait for the header install before the dyno though. Please let us know how it goes.
Yep, good luck. And don't expect too much.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:38 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vwong

Same here, I took out my TSX today and did a power run. Hell yeah I felt a difference, and now that I installed the CAI a few days ago, the car is ridiculously quicker that stock. I wonder if something could have happened and the reflash was not completely installed???
Old 08-29-2005, 06:48 PM
Drifting

my worry is something got messed up with the reflash-not enough to mess up the v-tec and rev limit but enough to compromise the power i was expecting. I keep romping on the car hard, now making it up to 12 "power runs" and there might be a slight difference. Slight or maybe im just hoping so much im imagining things. Found a dyno that was only $80 for 3 runs. Will dyno now and after headers, if i still don't get anything, im driving the car off a cliff
Old 08-29-2005, 07:08 PM
TSX User

The price for your reflash is going up and up and up ....
Old 08-29-2005, 07:51 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
my worry is something got messed up with the reflash-not enough to mess up the v-tec and rev limit but enough to compromise the power i was expecting. I keep romping on the car hard, now making it up to 12 "power runs" and there might be a slight difference. Slight or maybe im just hoping so much im imagining things. Found a dyno that was only $80 for 3 runs. Will dyno now and after headers, if i still don't get anything, im driving the car off a cliff
Why waste a perfectly good car. If you don't want it, I'll take it off your hands for cheap.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:18 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Even better, just give me your reflashed ECU, and I'll give you mine as a trade.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:28 PM
Intermediate

ztotallynakedz:

Don't be discouraged. For me, the Reflash was totally worth it.

Your dyno run should tell. I would contact Hondata and let them know what is going on with your car.

Good Luck!!!!
Old 08-29-2005, 08:36 PM
Drifting

I did and so did Action Tire. Hondata said to dyno the car and see whats up. Im going to attempt to do it by Wednesday but im going to upstate Ny for some quading and might not have time to dyno it. Then i start school next week and won't have any time to do anything. i really hope it will settle in. My guy at action did tell me a funny story about the 300C-all these guys got it chipped and immediately called and bitched about the lack of power from it. One month later they all shut their mouths when the computer settled and programmed your driving methods.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
my worry is something got messed up with the reflash-not enough to mess up the v-tec and rev limit but enough to compromise the power i was expecting.
I don't see how the reflash could mess up and properly transfer only the programming code pertaining to the VTEC engagement point and rev limit, but not affect the other parameters. I would assume that if the programming was only partially completed, your car wouldn't run.

Another thing - what grade and brand of gasoline are you using? Is it possible that the quality of gas or the octane of the gas you are using isn't high enough thereby tripping the knock sensor and causing the engine to retard the timing?

If it can't be traced back to any of these types of issues, I'd say your butt dyno is off.

I remember back when I installed a chip/intake/exhaust on my twin turbo Z which added 70 wheel hp, I wasn't too impressed by the how much faster the car felt b/c the upgrades fattened up the torque curve and decreased the turbo lag. The car lost the stock slingshot power delivery feel.

I'm thinking it's possible that the Hondata upgrade, which smooths out the VTEC engagement and increases all around torque may take away some of the sensation of speed which was present w/ the stock power curve which had a sharper spike in torque/hp at the VTEC engagement point.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:41 PM
Drifting

93 octane-the car is feeling better and better, i think, however, blowing a tire today (thank god my rim is fine) and the a/c clogged and backed up all over, kindamakes it hard to tell anymore
Old 08-31-2005, 02:03 PM
Instructor

How'd you blow out a tire!?
Old 08-31-2005, 03:16 PM
Juice!

Also, what do you mean when you say, "the a/c clogged and backed up all over....."?
Old 08-31-2005, 11:14 PM
Top notch 6MT

I think it's totally a case of misplaced expectation on ZtotallynakedZ's part... that much is obvious to me. So I won't hesitate to get reflashed once it's out for '05

ZtotallynakedZ, are you sure it's not becoz of your decked out sound system that's draining all the power?!?
Old 09-01-2005, 04:52 AM
B A N N E D

ztotallynaked> i just wasted ten minutes reading this garbage, can i have my time back
my friend just did the hondata reflash and let me tell u something..for the 600 you spend if your not satisfied, and /or you dont feel a power increase. then i think its safe to say u been sniffin glue or something
Old 09-02-2005, 12:07 AM
Top notch 6MT

Originally Posted by 925tsx
ztotallynaked> i just wasted ten minutes reading this garbage, can i have my time back
my friend just did the hondata reflash and let me tell u something..for the 600 you spend if your not satisfied, and /or you dont feel a power increase. then i think its safe to say u been sniffin glue or something

Did you read every post in this? I feel for you dude....
Old 09-02-2005, 01:00 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by 05_TSX_GP

Did you read every post in this? I feel for you dude....
yea i read every post.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:32 PM
No longer in denial

dammit I want my time back too
Old 09-02-2005, 06:18 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
This is a very interesting post. I'm patiently waiting for the result of her decision.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:07 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by DateTSX
This is a very interesting post. I'm patiently waiting for the result of her decision.
not its not interesting. lol
either somethig happened with the reflash..like who know what.
or..shes smoking crack.
cuz it either works or it doesnt.
and if it works, ud have to be an airhead to not notice it.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:19 AM
Intermediate

It's 9/21.

What happened? How's the car?
Old 09-21-2005, 07:57 AM
Polar Chicken

yea, whats the scoop
Old 09-21-2005, 10:40 AM
Senior Moderator

I'd like to see the dyno results as well.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:47 AM
VSA Rocks

Will dyno now and after headers, if i still don't get anything, im driving the car off a cliff

I think there might be a reflashed 04 TSX at the bottom of a cliff.....
Old 09-26-2005, 12:28 PM
Top notch 6MT

Originally Posted by 9900rpm
It's 9/21.

What happened? How's the car?
it's probably at the bottom of a cliff... I am claiming that reflashed ECU + immobilizer + keys
Old 10-02-2005, 11:25 AM
CEO of IMHO

Originally Posted by 05_TSX_GP
it's probably at the bottom of a cliff... I am claiming that reflashed ECU + immobilizer + keys
So, 05_TSX_GP, how can we apply extra pressure on Hondata to get that 05 reflash expedited?

Quick Reply: Anyone With Hondata Please Read