Any negative effects from a voltage stabilizer/grounding kit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 03:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 14 Posts
Any negative effects from a voltage stabilizer/grounding kit?

For those of you with voltage stabilizers/grounding kits, have you had any issues with them robbing you of power?

I was planning on installing a Buddy Club kit, but I just read a post in the Dyno sticky from someone saying that their kit was actually decreasing their power output.

I don't really need the kit for any specific purpose - I just thought it could potentially improve throttle response and the rough idle. However, if there's the possibility that it could do more harm than good, I'd just as well not install it.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:56 AM
CL9 ABP

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts
You can't really say mine is a good example but if someone wanted to put my t1r on their car and dyno it that would be the only proof. Or having my car dyno with and without it.

All i know is i ran crappy dynos becasue of an 02 sensor one of the dynos and then a dirty system which was becasue the car ran too rich.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:01 AM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you keep adding grounds without removing the existing ones, you risk creating a ground loop and your electronic signals become more noisy than when compared to stock.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:12 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a NRG Grounding Kit and a voltage stabilizer. They have been on the car for months now and I am 100% satisfied...no problems, it's not going to "rob" you of power.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:27 PM
hrj
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Williebigz
I have a NRG Grounding Kit and a voltage stabilizer. They have been on the car for months now and I am 100% satisfied...no problems, it's not going to "rob" you of power.
you need to dyno the car to see if there is any power gains or losses.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by aaronng
If you keep adding grounds without removing the existing ones, you risk creating a ground loop and your electronic signals become more noisy than when compared to stock.
So if a ground loop is created, how will that affect my performance?
Old 01-23-2007, 08:10 PM
Driver/Detailer

Originally Posted by DAYTA
So if a ground loop is created, how will that affect my performance?
The objective of the grounding kit is to make your signals clearer since cars use a floating ground. When you have a ground loop, your ground is no longer constant since you have tiny amounts of current in it. Vground = Iground x Rground. Resistance is a constant of the wiring and you have tiny amounts of fluctuating current, I. That means V will also fluctuate. When V flutuates, it means your ground is not clean and electrical and electronic signals won't be as clear.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:37 PM
Senior Moderator

...and it won't really effect your engine performance, but could effect any high end electronics or large amps installed.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Yeah, I'm not expecting any real hp or tq gains (even though alot of descriptions lead you to believe in such gains ). I also don't have any high-current electronics installed (yet) that would cause any voltage fluctuations. I'm just looking for minor improvements like better throttle response, smoother idle, and possibly a slightly more rev-happy engine.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:01 AM
Driver/Detailer

Yeah, I'm not expecting any real hp or tq gains (even though alot of descriptions lead you to believe in such gains ). I also don't have any high-current electronics installed (yet) that would cause any voltage fluctuations. I'm just looking for minor improvements like better throttle response, smoother idle, and possibly a slightly more rev-happy engine.
Those are reasonable expectations. At best, the engine runs smoother with better throttle response and possibly easier engine starting. At worst, you will cause the sensors to send incorrect voltage readings to the ECU and retarding performance.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:34 AM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Since everyone was chimming in suggestion on the Voltage Stabilizer and grounding kit, I got a question to ask.

Is it better for the grounding wires to loop? E.g. First wire connect to the chassis, the end of the first wire connect to the grounding pt. The second wire put on top of the end of first wire, and run the end of the second wire to another grounding pt... third on top.. on and on.

OR.

Each grounding wire connect to the chassis itself??? All separate.

I have both the voltage stabilizer and grounding kit from Sun Automobile, but after alot of search, it seems like there's alot of ways to ground it.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:36 AM
Pro

This is pretty much the only grounding you should do to your TSX, unless you have aftermarket electrical equipment.

EDIT: Links to the pictures are dead in that thread. I'll rehost them:

Originally Posted by JTso
Some of you might be interested to know where the ground distribution point is for the various sensors under the hood. Having good ground is important for the sensors to operate correctly. The good news is the TSX has very good ground connections and there is no measurable difference in supplement it with additional ground. However, if you must do it, consider this one...

Ground distribution - Note the various sensors and their ground termination point (G101).

Supported sensors & components:
- ECU
- VTEC oil pressure switch
- CKP sensor (crank shaft position)
- CMP sensor A/B (cam shaft position)
- Countershaft speed sensor
- VTC control solenoid valve
- VTEC solenoid valve
- Ignition coil 1 to 4
- Knock sensor
- Throttle actuator control module
- Transmission range switch (AT)
- A/T clutch pressure control solenoid valve A/B/C (AT)
- Mainshaft speed sensor (AT)
Old 01-24-2007, 11:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by aaronng
...At worst, you will cause the sensors to send incorrect voltage readings to the ECU and retarding performance.
Hmmm, so you're saying I could potentially lose performance if I install this kit...that doesn't sound too good. How much performance do you think I could stand to lose?
Old 01-24-2007, 12:51 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

hey drkangel348,

Thx for the pictures, you got anymore to host?
Old 01-24-2007, 01:10 PM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i have the hks "circle earth" ground wire kit and i did notice some improvement -- my car idles smoother with the a/c on
Old 01-24-2007, 04:46 PM
Driver/Detailer

Originally Posted by chuson
Since everyone was chimming in suggestion on the Voltage Stabilizer and grounding kit, I got a question to ask.

Is it better for the grounding wires to loop? E.g. First wire connect to the chassis, the end of the first wire connect to the grounding pt. The second wire put on top of the end of first wire, and run the end of the second wire to another grounding pt... third on top.. on and on.

OR.

Each grounding wire connect to the chassis itself??? All separate.

I have both the voltage stabilizer and grounding kit from Sun Automobile, but after alot of search, it seems like there's alot of ways to ground it.
For each component, there are usually gaskets providing some insulation. That's why you have a ground at the engine block/mount, transmission case, rocker cover and usually intake headers. Then, it is the negative terminal that provides the floating ground. What I do is to remove the existing negative terminal to chassis ground, replace it with my thicker gauge ground wire. Then, from that chassis point, I connect various points around the engine components to that chassis bolt. So I guess I don't like to make a chain of grounds, preferring an octopus instead.

When you place your new grounds, make sure you REPLACE the old ones. Don't add onto existing grounds. For the TSX, I found the engine mount and tranmission case grounds to be very good and didn't have a reason to replace them. Instead, I replaced the existing negative terminal to chassis ground, and added a new ground from G101 direct to the negative terminal, and another from the alternator to the chassis ground.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:49 PM
Driver/Detailer

Hmmm, so you're saying I could potentially lose performance if I install this kit...that doesn't sound too good. How much performance do you think I could stand to lose?
No idea how much you will lose. Just don't go crazy and add wires everywhere. Remember that you should only have 1 wire per insulated engine component.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:38 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Thx for clearing up my issue aaronng, it would be nice if you can post up your Euro-R engine bay, and take some pictures on those critical grounding point. I will giv' U a hug for that.... lol
Old 01-24-2007, 08:18 PM
Driver/Detailer

Thx for clearing up my issue aaronng, it would be nice if you can post up your Euro-R engine bay, and take some pictures on those critical grounding point. I will giv' U a hug for that.... lol
Mine is the equivalent to your TSX. I wish I had an EuroR

Here's a pic. I replaced the negative terminal to chassis and added 2 new grounds to the alternator casing and intake manifold. The engine block and transmission grounds were good, so I left those as they were.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:47 PM
Pro

I would also replace both positive and negative battery posts with gold terminals.
I have and I swear that the stock speakers sound cleaner.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where do you get the parts? (Large gauge wire, new terminal clamp, ends, anything else?) From a car audio shop?

Here's another old thread on grounding kits: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...8&page=1&pp=25
Old 01-24-2007, 10:43 PM
Pro

Any Car Audio place should have what you need, or a Pep Boys.

If anyone is going to install a positive terminal just know that you have to cut the existing terminal off with a wire cutter that can cut two 8 gauge wires. The stock terminals are rather flimsy.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:54 AM
Pro

hey drkangel348,

Thx for the pictures, you got anymore to host?
No problem, I posted all the pics that I got from JTso's post. I thought it was useful so I saved it for future reference.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:37 AM
Driver/Detailer

Originally Posted by vidgamer
Where do you get the parts? (Large gauge wire, new terminal clamp, ends, anything else?) From a car audio shop?

Here's another old thread on grounding kits: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...8&page=1&pp=25
I got my stuff from a normal electronics shop. They sold the 4-gauge oxygen-free copper cable, as well as the gold-plated negative terminal and connectors.