Your first scratch?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 08:33 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Your first scratch?

Well the car's no longer new. Wash the car and found two scratches on the front bumper cover. Two cracks might have been by rocks. I guess i'm lucky , 4 inches higher, it would have been the headlights. Plastic covers are not durable. At least it's small.

How do you feel after your first scratch? Also besides a bra, any suggestion on repairs?
Old 02-13-2004, 08:56 PM
CDR
Instructor

Re: Your first scratch?

How did I feel after my first scratch (on my TSX)? I just buffed it out and it looked like new again.

Repair is straightforward if a scratch doesn't go all the way through the color layer to the primer. In that case, some gentle buffing with appropriate grade(s) of polish are all that is necessary.

If the scratches go all the way through (to metal or the bumper plastic) then you'll have to add paint. The best method depends on the size of the scratch or chip. If you don't want to do paint yourself (which requires wet sanding followed by polishing), paintless dent repair places around here also do touch up. It's not cheap (maybe us$150 here in CA), but it beats a body shop repainting.

Check out this Autopia article on repairing scratches and chips, www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=27.
Old 02-13-2004, 09:14 PM
Banned

I've got a backpack scratch on my rear quarterpanel and a valet key scratch over my driver's side keyhole. Thanks for the info

WATCH OUT FOR THOSE VALET SCRATCHES GUYS.
Old 02-14-2004, 04:35 AM
Registered AssHat

I have (in chronological):

1) 5-point-star-pattern stone chip on front bumper. Received 1 week after delivery. Through paint.

2) Curb rash un underside of bumper. Received 2 weeks after delivery.

3) Scratch on driver side door above handle by attempted breakin. Received 3 weeks ago. Through paint and primer. Repaired 2 days ago.
Old 02-14-2004, 11:36 AM
Cruisin' the Azine's

discovered my first one last night...faint scratch along left side passenger door towards driver door. Hopefully it will buff out.
Old 02-14-2004, 12:20 PM
Advanced

CDR... good website info to repair small scratches. Can't wait for warm weather to do a complete wash, wax and repairs.
Old 02-14-2004, 04:28 PM
Advanced

Two scratches on the hood from rocks, didn't notice them till I washed the car the other day, first time in over a month, we have had lots of snowfall, never seems to be the right day to wash because it only will get dirty again within a half day. I noticed them because they were rust coloured... . Now I'm washing the car at least once a week regardless of the weather just so I can see the problems before they get too bad.

Any one have a front hood protection idea that is not a hood deflector or a bra?
Old 02-14-2004, 04:40 PM
Racer

2 long, deep scrapes on back bumper from garage door closing a little too close (the hinges have 2 parts that stick out).

2 sets of wispy, squiggly messes on the right rear panel and rear door that look like I brushed some branches (which wouldn't be surprising, given that the area around my parents' house is practically a road down a forest path).
Old 02-14-2004, 07:20 PM
Racer

Got my first "scratch" 2 days after I took delivery. I was in a hurry and parallel parking the car in a very tight spot downtown... got a little careless and inadvertently did the widely-employed bumper-kiss technique of parallel parking... bad move because there was a huge old metal and jagged license plate holder on the other car's bumper that put a nice gouge in my rear bumper.... so it's a little bigger and deeper than your average scratch. My bad. It didn't really break my heart too much and I got over it quick... in about 5 minutes. After all, it's just a Honda, not a Ferrari.

That's the beauty of this car: it has luxury, it has sport, but it's such a good value that you would never really feel bad about inevitable wear and tear or occasional abuse even done by yourself.