XM Radio Promotion Update - $77/annually

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 08:53 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XM expired yesterday and I just renewed this morning for $77 for the first year.

It took some work though. I bought my '06 TSX from my bank's car buying service.

They partner up with an AAA car buying service. So when I told her the radio code is was shown as still being owned by them. (They never informed XM that the car was sold I guess, but it is weird that XM expired in the first place then)

Anyway I registered a new account and she gave me the promo. She seemed pretty confused by the whole thing, (I told her that I saw a flyer/postcard about the $77/year back in December when I got the car)

Anyway I got it activated and everything seems fine now. Though next year I will probably just let them bill whatever the current rate is. It is too much trouble to get promos with them!
Old 03-30-2006, 10:00 PM
06 TSX ASM/Ebony 5AT

Our 3 months free period was about to expire. We got a call from XM today, they offered us the $77 deal, we did not even have to ask for it.

I guess maybe this is our first year. We will see what happens next year.
Old 03-31-2006, 02:50 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dizzy1
Don't get frustrated calling back. 6th try for me to get the deal. First lady said because I had the winback $60 last year I can't this year. I hung up. Second lady offered me $119 for a year or 2 months free. No thanks. Third try got a guy, he said it full price since I already had a winback $60 promo last year. Called back on Fourth try and got the same guy. Hung up. Then called one last time and was told no again. So my wife just got a Roady 2 for her car, so I told her to call and say that the guy at Circuity City told her about $77 deal and they gave it to her on the Roady 2. So I decided to call back and tell them I got a flyer from them in the mail and they didn't question it and added another year to my contract for $77.
Just be very persistent. ANd I was being very nice everytime I called before someone thinks I was being rude to them.
Thanks for the info. I was just thinking about this today...my current "winback" promo expires in a few weeks, and I was wondering if I can call back and ask for a new promo.

I paid $60 last year and don't mind $77.

Did you just say you wanted to renew your subscription or did you mention the promo while asking to renew?
Old 04-07-2006, 09:02 AM
10th Gear

My free trial Xm subscription ran out 2 weeks agoand I just received a card in mail from them for 3 months for $4.99. I decided to call them and mentioned the Winback Prom for $77.She immediately said that I could do that and set me up for the service. Very impressed with the ease and lack of arguing that was required to get the deal.
Thanks for everyones info in this thread which helped me to get a great deal.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:59 PM
Instructor

I got a statement from XM in the mail yesterday asking for the balance between the $77 and the rest of the normal annual subscription fee. I immediately called and, after about 10 minutes on hold got a guy who was very helpful. He fixed the problem immediately and told me to disregard the bill. It's too bad more customer service reps aren't like this guy....
Old 04-08-2006, 12:13 AM
OEM plus!

I ended up making out like a bandit with XM. I just bought my 05 TSX about a couple of weeks ago. It was a dealer car that they sold and for some reason it still had XM active when I picked it up. So I called XM asking if they could transfer the radio account into my name if I give them the radio id. I told them i bought the Acura and I would like to see how much is left on the service of this radio. The lady replied with "I can activate it for you now for a year if you like". I told her that it was already active and I didn't want to change that. I asked her if this was some sort of Acura free one year promotion or something (that was the only reason I could figure out that my service was still on). She replied with I can activate it for a year for you, and I told her again that I didn't want that, and she said oh I can put you on a one year free trial, through the Acura promotion and I will reactivate it now for you. I pulled a Napoleon and said Heck Yeah! So I have free XM for another 11.5 months!
Old 04-24-2006, 06:53 AM
Instructor

I just called and got the promotion. Just metion winback. i got it on the first call.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:27 PM
BRH
BRH

Same here. Just mention Winback right away. When the customer rep asked me for a code, I just replied that the Acura dealer told me to call this number and ask for the Winback promotion. After that, there was no problem.

Thanks to everyone here for the tip about Winback!
Old 04-30-2006, 11:50 AM
Instructor

Just extended my subscription. Called, said "I'd like to take advantage of the winback promotion." Agent asked, "And what promotion is that?" I answered, "The $77 per year one." She said she had to see if that was still being offered, put me on hold for a minute, than came back and started the process. She said the credit card charge wouldn't appear until July, after my 3 month trial membership ran out. Quick and easy process. Too bad it only is good for 12 months.

Jeff
Old 05-03-2006, 01:48 PM
Instructor

My first call landed me with a rookie rep. She was pretty much lost, and had to keep putting me on hold to talk to her trainer. Unfortunately, she had a pretty anal trainer, who was holding her to the "book"-- the winback was only for those who had been off XM for a year, blah, blah, blech... This was after waisting much time before she could even locate my account. Needless to say, I couldn't wait to hang up and re-try.

The second call hooked me up with another compulsive type. "You must have the code that we sent you in the mail, you must live within longitude 30, latitude..." I was in a rush to get out, and again hung up as fast as I could.

So I get rolling with the XM tuned and suddenly the XM deprogrammed and was off! I know it was suppose to be the last day, but I mean right after my call?? I was so Must have been some retaliatory move!

Next day I call for one last shot. Otherwise... (<--XM) and hello FM radio. I mention winback, and the rep asks me for which promotion. He explained one for $4.99 for 3 months. I ask about the $77 for 12. He says no problem, sets me up and cancels my re-activation fee. Now there's a guy who knows how to get my money. It's that same moral: what a difference a rep makes. So the "keep calling" advice holds true. Now if I could only get my hands on the rep who shut down my service....
Old 05-03-2006, 01:54 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
It's a waste of my roof space >=)
Old 05-03-2006, 02:46 PM
Recovering SUV Addict...

Really...Fuck XM. I just don't like it. I tried, for the past week + to listen to it as much as possible, and I keep finding myself going back to the Sirius Sportster that is sitting in my cupholder.

Dopey and Anthony aren't funny, the comedy channel pales in comparison to Sirius Raw Dog, FRED plays coldplay...fucking coldplay, which I'd love to know how coldplay can be classified as "classic alternative". The 80's channel is weak...I could go on and on. This is the second time I've had XM for free...and it just can't touch Sirius.

Granted, I'm with Sirius for Stern, but I've had it for almost a year before he even came on, and I've grown to love it. Great radio...great channel selections, great music catalog...

Now if the XM-to-Sirius conversion kits were compatible with the TSX soudsystem...
Old 05-04-2006, 12:33 AM
tuning / modding newbie.

not to start an o&a vs stern thread, but o&a blows stern out of the water.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ronin317
Really...Fuck XM. I just don't like it. I tried, for the past week + to listen to it as much as possible, and I keep finding myself going back to the Sirius Sportster that is sitting in my cupholder.

Dopey and Anthony aren't funny, the comedy channel pales in comparison to Sirius Raw Dog, FRED plays coldplay...fucking coldplay, which I'd love to know how coldplay can be classified as "classic alternative". The 80's channel is weak...I could go on and on. This is the second time I've had XM for free...and it just can't touch Sirius.

Granted, I'm with Sirius for Stern, but I've had it for almost a year before he even came on, and I've grown to love it. Great radio...great channel selections, great music catalog...

Now if the XM-to-Sirius conversion kits were compatible with the TSX soudsystem...
Ditto, I'm in the same boat; I had Sirius one full year before Stern, (got it a year ago for Christmas), and now going to XM (because it's free) is a a joke. I switch stations constantly looking for something suitable, and for the month and a half that i've owned my car, I haven't found it yet. Hopefully carmakers (or at least Acura) will soon begin offering you a choice.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:40 AM
Instructor

Getting back to the original premise of the thread, how to extend an XM subscription at the best price for those of us who want to keep the service, has anyone managed to go beyond the 1st year without having to pay full price?

I'd like to keep this thread going for that purpose, and maybe another thread could be started on the XV vs Sirius debate.....
Old 05-05-2006, 01:57 AM
tuning / modding newbie.

how you read the near 40 pages over 2 threads on the TL board? it works the same.

"XM $77 offer is still good"

How to renue your XM radio for $77 for 12 months

i did it. no hassles. some have to call a few times, but the promotion is still working.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:43 AM
tuning / modding newbie.

umm... didn't mean to sound short.. if I was a little more observant I would have noticed that you've already used this code...

anyways,

I hope someone is able to use the code without interruption in service. mine's up in a few months.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:58 PM
Advanced

Here's the deal...let me know if you think this will fly.

I had an XM Roady in my old RSX along with an extra receiver in my office. When I bought the TSX, I canceled the one that used to be in my car. (However, they are still only charging me family plan rate for the office one -- oops, their mistake! - $6.99/mo rather than $12.99)

Anyway.

Do you think that they will give me the $77 rate if I already have XM service on another receiver?

My TSX radio is not currently connected with my XM customer account, but I didn't know if I tried to add it if they would still offer me this deal.

Thoughts?
Old 05-05-2006, 01:13 PM
Cruisin'

I received a post-card from XM radio to renew after my 1 year subscription is up in late May. I called them and told them that I would only renew if I get the Winback promotion.

Customer service told me no because it's a one time only promotion and I would have to pay full price if I want to continue. I told them no thanks and ask that they cancel my subscription when my 1 year trial has expired.

Has anyone has any luck to renew after the 1 year trial with the winback promotion?
No luck here.

Thanks.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:54 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tsxforme2005
I received a post-card from XM radio to renew after my 1 year subscription is up in late May. I called them and told them that I would only renew if I get the Winback promotion.

Customer service told me no because it's a one time only promotion and I would have to pay full price if I want to continue. I told them no thanks and ask that they cancel my subscription when my 1 year trial has expired.

Has anyone has any luck to renew after the 1 year trial with the winback promotion?
No luck here.

Thanks.
Same situation with me too, the problem is I got some non-english speaking woman who I thought was going to cancel my service, but apparently she didn't and XM has charged my credit card for two months of service so far. I would be very careful to check your credit card that you used to sign up with the winback promo.

And they charge you $18 for a month's worth of service...fyi
Old 05-06-2006, 01:17 AM
Instructor

If they're like most businesses of this sort, they should have some sort of "retention" department whose job is to retain customers by offering better deals. I'd be very surprised to hear XM doesn't do this. A possible strategy is to threaten to switch to Sirius, and otherwise tell them if they can't make a better offer that you're not interested because it's not worth it to you at the full price....
Old 05-07-2006, 06:42 PM
6MT or Death

So I've been meaning to call the number given in this thread, tell them about the winback promotion, and get my xm back on. Hadn't gotten around to it and then yesterday I receved a postcard in the mail advertising a subscription for $77 annually. Guess I don't need to worry about getting hassled on the phones.
Old 05-14-2006, 10:42 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dj Dozhe
So I've been meaning to call the number given in this thread, tell them about the winback promotion, and get my xm back on. Hadn't gotten around to it and then yesterday I receved a postcard in the mail advertising a subscription for $77 annually. Guess I don't need to worry about getting hassled on the phones.
How long had your trial been expired before they called you with the $77 offer? All I've recieved is that postcard with 3 mo. for $4.99 b.s. They've called me twice with the same lame offer.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:34 AM
6MT or Death

Originally Posted by srenitynow
How long had your trial been expired before they called you with the $77 offer? All I've recieved is that postcard with 3 mo. for $4.99 b.s. They've called me twice with the same lame offer.
They never called me, I received a postcard. I'd received the $4.99 bs too, but then this one came. It didn't even say winback on it. I don't remember exactly when the trial ended, but I got my car in early December...so March, I guess.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:36 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dj Dozhe
They never called me, I received a postcard. I'd received the $4.99 bs too, but then this one came. It didn't even say winback on it. I don't remember exactly when the trial ended, but I got my car in early December...so March, I guess.
I got my car 3rd week December so my trial ended 3rd week March. They called me three times and sent me the postcard a 3rd week of April. Wondering if I'll get the $77 offer 3rd week of May.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:30 AM
Instructor

I got my car 3rd week December so my trial ended 3rd week March. They called me three times and sent me the postcard a 3rd week of April. Wondering if I'll get the $77 offer 3rd week of May.

if you want the $77 offer, you should just call them, even if they don't send you the postcard for it. a lot of us never got the postcard, but just showed some persistence when calling in asking for it.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:59 AM
Instructor

I got my car about the same time, maybe a week before Christmas. I just received the $77/yr post card in the mail two days ago.

That being said, I don't think I will renew even though that seems like a fair price. We finally joined the 21st century and got an MP3 player so I should have plenty of music to page through to keep it fresh.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:11 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you know if you can enter the code WINBACK at xmradio.com to sign up instead of talking to them?
Old 05-17-2006, 12:01 PM
Advanced

I just called and got the winback promotion for XM. I was trying to get it extended to 2 years, but they can only do it once. Oh well, it only took one phone call to get it done too! I love this message board! Thanks guys!
Old 05-17-2006, 04:08 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Same here. Audio and Video. Let's keep this place tidy folks.