XM Radio: How to Renew for $77 a Year

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005 | 05:06 PM
Advanced

raydeoactive, if i were you i would not wait to do this.... I have heard that they are gonna cut this promo off in the very near future.
Old 03-07-2005 | 10:35 PM
Instructor

Oh Just noticed a typo, its 800-XMRADIO for the number. Glad it worked drkimberly. I havn't heard if there going to discontinute the promo or not but figured it would be wise since the rates are going up April 2.
Old 03-08-2005 | 11:55 AM
Intermediate

Hmmmm. I just called, and they said to call back on June 1st, when my current 3 month promotion will be expired. The lady on the phone said she would put a note on my account.
Old 03-08-2005 | 12:26 PM
Instructor

Hey Khaoohs,

You can do that but at your own risk. Who knows when this promotion will end.
Old 03-08-2005 | 06:42 PM
Intermediate

Well, she wouldn't put it through now for me. I guess i could try again tomorrow.
Old 03-08-2005 | 09:10 PM
Instructor

Try again, if you get someone that is willing to do it, don't hesitate.
Old 03-08-2005 | 10:41 PM
Racer

Okay I just did this, but what they did was my trial membership ends on April 20, and honestly I was afraid of loosing this deal so I ask if they could just tack it on, they said they couldn't but what they did was they canceled the current three month promo and just did the subscription, so next year I'm billed as of this date.

Still, the deal is freakin awesome...thank you to all of you that found this , have a beer on me tonight!
Old 03-08-2005 | 11:06 PM
Instructor

Didn't I mention this in step 6?
Old 03-09-2005 | 05:35 PM
Instructor

Just signed up! Followed the easy steps and voila...1-year at $60! Can't beat that deal...thanks again!
Old 03-09-2005 | 11:07 PM
CEO of IMHO

I screwed it up. I told them that I got the promotion from my Acura dealer. Seems as though this Winback promotion is being paid for by GM for GM customers with XM in the cars. Just thought this info might help some people...

This is my 2nd attempt, and 2nd failure. I guess I'm not so good at this. :-(
Old 03-10-2005 | 01:41 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by triton
Didn't I mention this in step 6?

Sorry I just sorta skimmed your post, my badd

Did you have that beer yet?
Old 03-10-2005 | 10:24 PM
5th Gear

I just jumped on this offer. Work like charm.
Old 03-11-2005 | 04:56 AM
Instructor

XM offer

Just got my TSX yesterday and called XM to register and find out details about one-year offer. Very unhelpful operator who knew nothing about any special offer for Acura, but said she would look into it--but that in any event, I could not sign up for it until my 3-month offer was over. And that they would contact me about it. She, naturally, had no idea whether offer would still be valid 3 months from now, especially with the price rise going into effet in April.
Old 03-11-2005 | 05:16 AM
Instructor

update

Followed the advice of this board and called back again this morning. Got a representative who immediately signed me up for the WINBACK offer, telling me I would be billed automatically for it when my current 3-month offer expires. So the best advice is--if at first you don't succeed, keep calling them back.
Old 03-13-2005 | 10:28 AM
8th Gear

Angry

I've tried this twice. No luck. Yesterday, they even told me WinBack was a GM promotion. Completely unhelpful both times. Anyone have any advice? What department did you have success with? How did you ask for the promotion?
Old 03-13-2005 | 12:29 PM
Instructor

Please follow the steps tachement I liked in the thred to get the promotions, it's worked for multiple people. Oh about hte at after the 3 month promo, I don't know anyone who has had their account renew automatically after the 3 month trial, so for those that have that I'd double check
Old 03-13-2005 | 01:35 PM
CEO of IMHO

Well, I'm on now for the 3rd time. Busted again. They want the "winback" letter to be read to them. So, I forwent the whole WinBack thing (I was getting kind of embarrased, considering they may be tracking these requests on my radio ID on their system).

Instead, I took advantage of their 5-year lock-down rate of $499. I then coerced them to take another $10 off, and apply the charge after my 3 month trial expires, so $489 for 60 months = $8.15/month for 5 years starting April 22.

Considering next month their fees go to $12.95/month, if you do "WinBack" @$60/year for 1 year, and then add, say, $11.49 X 48 months (for a total of 60 months at the discounted rate), you're paying a total of $611.52 over 5 years vs. the $489 I just paid for 5 years.

The great thing about the long-term contract is that they'll refund you exactly what you have not used if you cancel at any time. So, there's really no risk. You're just giving them some upfront 2005 revenue and getting a discount as a result.

So, if you're in it for the long-haul, it may be worth considering locking into their pre-increase deals now and forgoing the WinBack. At least based on how I calculated it.
Old 03-14-2005 | 06:47 PM
Instructor

I already have an XM radio in my other car and called to get the family discount with the Jeep and the Acura and prepay like JonDeutsh did. They told me that the radio in my Acura doesn't exsit in there system even though they have sent me the letter with the radio ID and it matches what the car says. Very strange, and a pain in the ass because I was on the phone with them for 45 min!
Old 03-14-2005 | 07:13 PM
CEO of IMHO

Oh yeah, they take their time. My call must have taken over an hour. I can't imagine why they can't turn a profit!
Old 03-15-2005 | 12:02 PM
Racer

My 3 month trial expired the other day, so i called and signed up.. Easy....
Old 03-15-2005 | 01:27 PM
Go BOLTS!

My 3mo trial expires at the end of the month. I called today, and will be on the win-back promotion as of March 31st.
Note that this was the 3rd time I've tried it. Last time was over a month ago. Me thinks they are more receptive to tacking on "winback" towards the end of your free trial.
Old 03-23-2005 | 01:58 PM
Cruisin'

I had no problems with the WinBack last week. It was my first call. You just have to sound like you know what you're talking about and mean business! Best of luck to all!
Old 03-23-2005 | 02:19 PM
tsxy

hey jarvo when does your 3 mos expire
Old 03-23-2005 | 02:28 PM
Racer

My 3 months expires in 2 months. Should I still try the promotion now?
Old 03-23-2005 | 02:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

You should try. I believe the promotion is set to expire when their rates go up. (April 1st?)
Old 03-24-2005 | 08:42 AM
Cruisin'

My free trial ended about 3 weeks before I used the WinBack promotion. I think they probably figured better to get some business back than none at all. Just be careful about calling too many times, I'd assume they log how often you call and put notes in saying you're trying to use the promotion.
Old 03-24-2005 | 08:55 AM
Luke 1:37

Originally Posted by bigwilliestyle
You should try. I believe the promotion is set to expire when their rates go up. (April 1st?)
Really? Mine doesn't expire for 2 months too, so I wonder if they'd be willing to at least jot down in my account that I can use the Winback promotion when it expires. I LOVE XM now and can't live without it. Its soooo nice having so many options. I barely listen to FM/AM anymore.
Old 03-24-2005 | 09:54 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by virtualbong
Really? Mine doesn't expire for 2 months too, so I wonder if they'd be willing to at least jot down in my account that I can use the Winback promotion when it expires. I LOVE XM now and can't live without it. Its soooo nice having so many options. I barely listen to FM/AM anymore.
Me too. Long live XM
Old 03-24-2005 | 09:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Don't quote me on it. ( too late )

I think someone mentioned it in another thread somewhere. Doesn't hurt to try.
Old 03-24-2005 | 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by bigwilliestyle
Don't quote me on it. ( too late )

I think someone mentioned it in another thread somewhere. Doesn't hurt to try.
Ah well, I'll wait to see if they have this type of deal in 2 months
Old 03-24-2005 | 11:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

Ah well, I'll wait to see if they have this type of deal in 2 months
You can call before it expires...
Old 03-24-2005 | 11:44 AM
Intermediate

I just got the deal. You don't have to ask for the Retention department, any customer service rep can help you.

The rep helping me, who was very helpful, asked me to read back the "letter" that I received. I just said that I was work and had left the letter at home. But basically I said it talked about a winback promotion, to call 1-800-XMRADIO and that there was a code on it: ZWINBACKMYP1 (I got this off an forum posting). After that she was happy and added the $60/year subscription to the end of my trial which ends in a few weeks.

Awesome deal!
Old 03-25-2005 | 01:47 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JonDeutsch
I screwed it up. I told them that I got the promotion from my Acura dealer. Seems as though this Winback promotion is being paid for by GM for GM customers with XM in the cars. Just thought this info might help some people...

This is my 2nd attempt, and 2nd failure. I guess I'm not so good at this. :-(
I'm not good at it either ... Told me that I have to wait and let my subscription lapse fro MONTHS beofre I can do it. Then he asked me what kind of Acura I had??

Can I call back immediately?? Will they know?? Does it go on your record or anything?
Old 03-25-2005 | 07:16 PM
Instructor

I had no problem signed up for the special offer, despite the fact that my 3-month subscription doesn't expire for another 10 weeks. Called back just to check and yes, it was still valid. However, I'm fully prepared for some screw-up when the actual time comes, particularly since they are raising all of their rates come April 1.
Old 03-26-2005 | 06:47 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by JonDeutsch
Well, I'm on now for the 3rd time. Busted again. They want the "winback" letter to be read to them. So, I forwent the whole WinBack thing (I was getting kind of embarrased, considering they may be tracking these requests on my radio ID on their system).

Instead, I took advantage of their 5-year lock-down rate of $499. I then coerced them to take another $10 off, and apply the charge after my 3 month trial expires, so $489 for 60 months = $8.15/month for 5 years starting April 22.

Considering next month their fees go to $12.95/month, if you do "WinBack" @$60/year for 1 year, and then add, say, $11.49 X 48 months (for a total of 60 months at the discounted rate), you're paying a total of $611.52 over 5 years vs. the $489 I just paid for 5 years.

The great thing about the long-term contract is that they'll refund you exactly what you have not used if you cancel at any time. So, there's really no risk. You're just giving them some upfront 2005 revenue and getting a discount as a result.

So, if you're in it for the long-haul, it may be worth considering locking into their pre-increase deals now and forgoing the WinBack. At least based on how I calculated it.
I did the same as you did, Jon, as I did the calculations of how much it would be for 60 for the 1st year and 12.95 a month every year after. It was a no brainer to just take the 5 year deal at 500 and walk away happy.

I'm glad to not have to worry about losing my XM anytime soon :-)

Oh, but PS - watch it when you do the sign up for the 5 year thing online. Today I noticed a stray charge on my credit card of like 13.58. I called them immediately and they said that I had ordered the Opie and Anthony channel or something, and I said "um, no didn't order that, just ordered the 5 year deal". They were very helpful, and removed the charge (i'll make sure of that in a few days when i recheck my CC) and also told me i'd not be charged for the 5 year plan until 5/24. tje day my 3 month trial ends. Overall I found customer service to be good, aside from the glitch that occurred via their web ordering.

Jennifer
Old 03-29-2005 | 03:01 PM
'05 TSX SSM/EB/AT/Nav

I called once last week and was denied. Was told it was only for GM cars, and that I could only request “winback” after my subscription expired. Then the rep tried to pressure me to but now because of the 4/2 price increase. I said I was ONLY interested @ $60/yr and would try again later. I even told them in the past I had a GM truck that I was offered the $60 for, but passed on it, but since the radio is not in a GM the guy wouldn’t do it.

I called just a few minutes ago 1-800=929-2100 (no wait cue and no touch-tone menu, strait to a rep) and got the $60 deal with no hassle. I was not willing to lie to them about the letter, but technically I didn’t have to, since I did actually get a letter (a year ago for that truck). Here is the conversation:

Rep: “How can I help you?”
Me: “I would like to take advantage of the $60/year promotion; I believe it’s called Winback.”
Rep: “I’m not sure I can give you that. How did you hear about it, did you get an email?”
Me: “I bout a truck a while back that offered the deal but I didn’t take it then, but I’d like it for my new car now.”
Rep: “That deal only applies to certain radios let me put you on hold and check and see if I can give it to you on that one.”
Me: “Thank you”
--on hold for about 10 seconds--
Rep: “Okay, I can do that. Would you like to lock in any additional years at the “$9.99 price?”
Me: “Is it refundable if I decide I don’t want it at a later date?”
Rep: “Yes, you can cancel at any time for a full refund of unused months, and you can also transfer to another radio for free.”
Me: “Okay, lets do it.”

I got the deal, $60 kicks in at the end of my free trial, so my first bill of $60 will come in May, and then in May ’06, I’ll get billed again for $119. I’m happy.

Only two days left until the price jump!
Old 03-29-2005 | 03:49 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Mega
I called once last week and was denied. Was told it was only for GM cars, and that I could only request “winback” after my subscription expired. Then the rep tried to pressure me to but now because of the 4/2 price increase. I said I was ONLY interested @ $60/yr and would try again later. I even told them in the past I had a GM truck that I was offered the $60 for, but passed on it, but since the radio is not in a GM the guy wouldn’t do it.

I called just a few minutes ago 1-800=929-2100 (no wait cue and no touch-tone menu, strait to a rep) and got the $60 deal with no hassle. I was not willing to lie to them about the letter, but technically I didn’t have to, since I did actually get a letter (a year ago for that truck). Here is the conversation:

Me: “I would like to take advantage of the $60/year promotion; I believe it’s called Winback.”
Rep: “I’m not sure I can give you that. How did you hear about it, did you get an email?”
Me: “I bout a truck a while back that offered the deal but I didn’t take it then, but I’d like it for my new car now.”
Rep: “That deal only applies to certain radios let me put you on hold and check and see if I can give it to you on that one.”
Rep: “Okay, I can do that. Would you like to lock in any additional years at the “$9.99 price?”
Rep: “Yes, you can cancel at any time for a full refund of unused months, and you can also transfer to another radio for free.”

I got the deal, $60 kicks in at the end of my free trial, so my first bill of $60 will come in May, and then in May ’06, I’ll get billed again for $119. I’m happy.

alright I am trying that tonight. Thanks for the info.

I hope it works for me
Old 03-31-2005 | 12:09 PM
Racer

OK I'm all set for my year subscription for $60
Old 03-31-2005 | 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by BonzoAPD
OK I'm all set for my year subscription for $60
what was your method?
Old 03-31-2005 | 02:37 PM
Racer

what was your method?

Wil I used this method:

Originally Posted by Mega

It worked like a charm. The guy said it kicks in when my 3 months are up in the middle of May. That is when I will get the bill for the $60. It was suprisingly easy

Quick Reply: XM Radio: How to Renew for $77 a Year