XM Commander Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 08:57 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XM Commander Install Question

Hey All,

I have read thru many of the DIY threads on the install process for placing a XM Commander in the sunglass holder if a TSX...many of the DIY's are nice, but leave several questions unanswered. Please - If you have the answer would you just try to sum it up in a few sentences, rather than just linking to a thread? I have already searched & am really tired of scanning thru pages of a thread that goes off on 15 different tangents only to not find a solid answer. Thanks.

First:

What is the best way to route the cable from the sunglass holder to the A-pillar cover? Do you have to remove the front side of the headliner? Or are you able to tuck the wire in the between the roof & headliner near the windshield? Also...when I do finally get the wire to the A-pillar, are ther any concerns that it will impede the deployment of the side-curtan airbag?

Second:

I downloaded the scans of the trim removal pages for the TSX, and saw that you are supposed to just be able to pull-up on the trim surrounding the AT shift lever. Is this accurate? I have attempted to lift this trim and it just does not want to come-off. Is there a trick? I don't want to use anything to try and pry it up as that has proved a disaster on some older cars...and I really don't want to mess-up the fit-n-finish of the TSX.

Third:

I read that the antenna connection for the FM Modulator is located under the trim plate referred to above...Are there wires for the factory amps that can be spliced into for 12v+/12v Acc/12v- in the same location? If so, what are the color codes? I would prefer to use the 'wire-clips' than the 'add-a-fuse' solution.

Thanks for any help you can provide...I wanted to get this installed last weekend, but ended-up working on the drop instead...and after being really sore (sucks getting old) I didn't feel like rolling around doing more crap.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:02 PM
Banned

If you want more of an OEM look for the installation, I happen to be selling my XM Commander unit custom fitted inside the "not an ashtray" bin.

Let me know if you're interested. If you go ahead with this, the installation is A LOT simpler since all the connections are right near the radio.

You'll have a hell of a time running the wires up and down the A-pillar. Frankly, I wouldn't wanna touch the pillars since the side airbags are there.

Let me know if you're interested.

link: https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/fs-tsx-not-ashtray-custom-xm-commander-unit-303131/

Old 04-25-2005, 09:47 PM
Possessed with my Schemes

Yeah, don't install in the sunglasses thing. That's two out of the way. Go like loxllxol did in the not an ashtray or like I did it. I put had it installed on the door of the cd storage holder bin. They cut a hole in it to put it in, but I can always replace that door later if I need to. Also, I didn't lose any storage. The door still opens and I can still put cd's behind it.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:58 PM

Allright, not sure if anyone cares since no one else has posted, but here are a couple of photos of my XM install. By the way, it is hardwired . . . no fm modulation for me. Was costly for everything, probably 500 bucks including the SHOND3 thing, some other thing I had to get at the Honda dealership, and all of the XM equipment and install costs, but I am happy with the job they did and didn't lose any storage space.

Old 04-26-2005, 12:14 AM
Banned

^^damn!! that's a slick ass install!
Old 04-26-2005, 07:57 AM
Instructor

Wow, nice!! Does the soft-up door still work normally? The wire leading to the XM commander face plate doesn't get in the way when the door is up?
Old 04-26-2005, 10:33 AM

No, wire doesn't get in the way at all, but door only opens about 80% as far as it used to. The big main button on the Commander slightly touches when door is open. No big deal though. Still easy to put stuff in and out of bin.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:02 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21879

I placed a Kenwood FM mod - SAT controller in my CD cubby. Lid does close to hide it all the way too, nice an stealthy.

I got the antenna lead from behind the cubby zip tied by Honda to the right side of the tunnel next to a brown radio main relay connection.

I got power from the fuse box using Add-A-Circiut MINI's. I would assume the commander can be installed the same. My Kenwood gear was 12v but only needed 3A of power for the fuse.

I tucked all my wires and never removed the trim around the shifter, I was afraid I'd brake something.

I liked this method the only thing I removed was the cubby and the rear seat.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:10 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

I do however, have a Kenwood unit in the sunglass holder of my 6th gen Accord as well.

I tucked the wire behind the headliner after removing the sunglass holder and A pillar trim. My wife wouldn't let me do this for the TSX

I had to remove the center tunnel to gain access to the back of my Accord's radio this was a huge install that I never want to do again.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:40 PM

I dig the TSX install. Looks nice. Still not sure I'm sold on FM Mod though. On the accord, do the edges of the sunglass holder block any of the buttons? Seems a little high up though to read when driving. Other than that, looks pretty nice, especially in the nighttime photo.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:56 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

It's actually perfect in the Accord for viewing, the buttons are a tad harder to reach in the corners, but very doable. But the Kenwood KCA-FM controllers come with remotes so it's a moot point. I just use the remote half the time in my Accord.

I've used the FM mod in both my Accord and the wife's TSX, and an Eclipse Spyder and an S10, and my sister's Accord Sedan. The wired FM modulator type from Kenwood (vs. non wired like a Belkin transmitter-don't confuse the two) is very clean, it's exceptionally clean sounding in our TSX install. The volume level of the FM mod signal is reduced so I do need to turn the volume up significantly more then say a CD or FM, but I don't have any hiss or static in the signal so it sounds great. I have plenty of volume with the windows down as well, so I don't see the need to spend $50-200 on an adapter.

I didn't have to remove the radio to install the unit this way in our TSX either, and because the signal is so clean I have no intention of install an RCA adapter. I had the gear for the TSX just laying around so it didn't cost me much if anything to do the install. Moda-way has the SHONDA adapter for the RCA's he currently has some noise and will be re-running his setup in hopes of removing the noise. I have no noise, so why mess w/ a good thing.

I couldn't use the RCA adapter in my Accord because my Honda optional 6-disc changer under the radio is already using the line input so I had no choice but to FM modulate in my Accord for SAT radio.

Old 03-23-2006, 05:58 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Ozzman
Allright, not sure if anyone cares since no one else has posted, but here are a couple of photos of my XM install. By the way, it is hardwired . . . no fm modulation for me. Was costly for everything, probably 500 bucks including the SHOND3 thing, some other thing I had to get at the Honda dealership, and all of the XM equipment and install costs, but I am happy with the job they did and didn't lose any storage space.

Ozzman...

I'm looking to have XM installed in my 2004 TSX, possibly next weekend and I was wondering where you had yours done. Yours looks great and it's exactly what I want.

I live in the Bay Area and have had trouble finding a decent place. One person at Circuit City told me it was impossible to do the install without mounting it on the dash, which is really what I want to avoid.

I'm very car-illiterate, so any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your time.