Xenon headlights lifespan

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 11:45 AM
Top notch 6MT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Xenon headlights lifespan

This is my 1,000th post so I thought to make it a thread starter

I've done some searches and found that there's no specific info/discussion on just how long would our Xenon headlights last. The cloest reference to that I found is here.

I've been wondering about this because I have the habit of leaving the headlights on at all times. Especially with the auto-off feature (albeit the annoying beeps when I get in/out of the car), the light switch is literally left at the ON position all the time.

So, the question is... if I continue to run the headlights this way, how long would it last???
Old 05-31-2005, 11:57 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...eadlights+life

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...eadlights+life

Congrats on the big 1000!
Old 05-31-2005, 12:25 PM
Top notch 6MT

Thanks. I found one of the threads (2nd on your list) you included from my own search. The 1st one you listed has some concrete numbers, good stuff Missed it in my search probably due to "HID" not searchable and I never called it "headlamps"

So 100k+ miles... for high milage stuff, sauceman comes to mind again... has he needed to replace his Xenon yet??
Old 05-31-2005, 12:40 PM
TSX

They have an auto off feature if you leave them on once the key is out?

I didn't know that...
Old 05-31-2005, 12:47 PM
Goldmember

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tried that and it works. My CLS had a feature where both the headlights and the door would shut. I can't seem to get my door to autoshut. Also, when I went faster than like 15 mph my doors would lock if I forgot to lock it. TSX doesn't seem to do that. Anyone know if these are available features?
Old 05-31-2005, 12:49 PM
TSX

Originally Posted by scl23
the door would shut.

Old 05-31-2005, 12:49 PM
Top notch 6MT

Originally Posted by Savio
They have an auto off feature if you leave them on once the key is out?

I didn't know that...
Yeah, I actually read that part of the manual to figure that one out

Leave the light at ON, shut car, leave car, lock/arm car, light stays on for 30s (don't quote me for exact length) then go off.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:51 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by 05_TSX_GP
Thanks. I found one of the threads (2nd on your list) you included from my own search. The 1st one you listed has some concrete numbers, good stuff Missed it in my search probably due to "HID" not searchable and I never called it "headlamps"

So 100k+ miles... for high milage stuff, sauceman comes to mind again... has he needed to replace his Xenon yet??

I wouldn't call my numbers "concrete" per se, there were a lot of assumptions in that calculation. It all depends on how often you have your headlights on. Under normal conditions, I would definitely think they would last over 100,000 miles.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:53 PM
Top notch 6MT

Originally Posted by scl23
I tried that and it works. My CLS had a feature where both the headlights and the door would shut. I can't seem to get my door to autoshut. Also, when I went faster than like 15 mph my doors would lock if I forgot to lock it. TSX doesn't seem to do that. Anyone know if these are available features?
I have been wondering if we can get the car to auto-lock once moving at speed. Hmm... I am my own thread

On the BMW that I had, the manual says "auto-lock once moving" feature was a dealer-to-do configuration, so I brought it in and asked dealer to activate it one week after I got that car. Is that the same for the TSX?
Old 05-31-2005, 01:00 PM
Top notch 6MT

Originally Posted by Master47
I wouldn't call my numbers "concrete" per se, there were a lot of assumptions in that calculation. It all depends on how often you have your headlights on. Under normal conditions, I would definitely think they would last over 100,000 miles.
Thanks for chiming in

Well, like I said... I am holding the habit of having them on all the time when I drive it. I admit it's for the HID looks that I leave them on all the time... I should really take a look at how the DRL or even the "parking" lights look first, maybe they would look OK for my day-time crusing around.

I realize I could replace the highbeam bulbs with something cooler looking. If I replace them with white lights (matching the HID), do they have the same colour when running in DRL (low wattage part)?
Old 05-31-2005, 02:34 PM
04 remembrance

Also keep in mind that it drains the life much faster if you flick them on/off frequently.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:07 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I haven't yet. I expect them to go somewhere around 200,000km. I have noticed that their output is somewhat diminishing though. I would compare them now to really new and bright halogen lighting levels. I actually haven't changed my H1s either yet.

I have them on 95% of the time. Safest way to travel.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:43 PM
Racer

I don't believe HID sources "burn out" as in the filament breaking on a halogen lamp. Instead, the quartz capsule wall starts becoming opaque to the point the light output is not satisfactory. A color-shift toward the yellow will be noticeable, along with diminishing lumen output. As a result of this, all of the energy of the arc is not being transmitted in the form of light, rather the capsule wall takes the heat. This goes on until ultimate failure where the quartz bulb cracks, generally at or near one of the seals, and releases the gas-fill mixture to atmosphere, and presto, no more light.

Sauce, maybe you could check your capsules and see if they are becoming less translucent?
Old 05-31-2005, 09:58 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
I don't believe HID sources "burn out" as in the filament breaking on a halogen lamp. Instead, the quartz capsule wall starts becoming opaque to the point the light output is not satisfactory. A color-shift toward the yellow will be noticeable, along with diminishing lumen output. As a result of this, all of the energy of the arc is not being transmitted in the form of light, rather the capsule wall takes the heat. This goes on until ultimate failure where the quartz bulb cracks, generally at or near one of the seals, and releases the gas-fill mixture to atmosphere, and presto, no more light.

Sauce, maybe you could check your capsules and see if they are becoming less translucent?
Interesting... so the quartz wall is the "rate limiting variable" in HIDs? Compared to the traditional halogens, where the filament usually takes the inital death.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:19 PM
Pro

I have been wondering if we can get the car to auto-lock once moving at speed. Hmm... I am my own thread

On the BMW that I had, the manual says "auto-lock once moving" feature was a dealer-to-do configuration, so I brought it in and asked dealer to activate it one week after I got that car. Is that the same for the TSX?
You'd have to move to the TL for the Auto lock/unlock feature and unlike BMW (unless the new 3 is different) the driver selects whether or not they want us use the feature.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:11 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been wondering about that. I'll take pics when they die out on me.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:00 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by docboy
Interesting... so the quartz wall is the "rate limiting variable" in HIDs? Compared to the traditional halogens, where the filament usually takes the inital death.
To some extent, yes. The quartz is actually a relatively porous material and grabs on to various molecules, hence the reason you shouldn't touch the bulb with your fingers as it will grab up the oils. The oils will start to burn on the bulb surface and create a dark spot, starting the process above earlier.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:57 AM
Top notch 6MT

Originally Posted by Precision Crafted
You'd have to move to the TL for the Auto lock/unlock feature and unlike BMW (unless the new 3 is different) the driver selects whether or not they want us use the feature.
Thanks for your answer, now I don't have to dig through the manual searching for that topic; and don't have to ask my dealer/service about it
Old 06-02-2005, 07:01 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 753 Likes on 453 Posts

I thought it would be the Xenon gas that slowly leaks, until one day it's not dense enough to allow an electrical arc to spark...