WTF TSX is too slow no its not what wrong with ppl

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 02:10 PM
talk about mudflaps....

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Martin
To say I've been disappointed in the TSX's reliability is an understatement.

Seat rails replaced twice
Sunroof leak
Headlight condensation
Tail light wiring harness recall
Center console lights x2
A/C condensor failure
Front brake caliper failure that nearly resulted in a crash

Total: ~$7000 in unscheduled service, $1700 out of pocket.
Ouch, sounds like you got a "citron"
Old 07-18-2007, 02:54 PM
7th Gear

I've been through lots of traffic and never once have I ever regretted buying the 6MT. Aside from that, I agree that the TSX is not slow. Its great fun to drive, but I'm not saying that I wouldn't love say 50 more HP or lb-ft of torque.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:09 PM
Race Director

Well how slow can it be I mean caranddriver put it on there 10 best list 3 times now? If they dont think its slow then the power has to be decent since I am sure they take there cars to the track.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:10 PM
Klutch Dollaz

To say I've been disappointed in the TSX's reliability is an understatement.

Seat rails replaced twice
Sunroof leak
Headlight condensation
Tail light wiring harness recall
Center console lights x2
A/C condensor failure
Front brake caliper failure that nearly resulted in a crash

Total: ~$7000 in unscheduled service, $1700 out of pocket.
maybe you got a friday car. But overall TSX seems to be reliable. Obviously there are some lemons but you got alot fo theat work done under warranty so it didn't really hurt you. get that new GTI and expect as someone esle said to be on first name basis with service deptartment. One thing I detest about Euro cars is the price of maintenance. Plus you have to go to the dealer for everything parts n labor. While acura/honda are easy to work on ask most mchanics but when u bring up Europena cars thats the face most mechanics i know make. Only if I had the $$$$ would I ever consider getting something european. Once the japanese get the handling right (which alot of the cars have right already) then what can BMW owners claim then other than their lease/car loan is more than most ppl's acura pymt. Ok let them claim that they can win that one lol
Old 07-18-2007, 03:15 PM
Klutch Dollaz

Originally Posted by rhito
I've been through lots of traffic and never once have I ever regretted buying the 6MT. Aside from that, I agree that the TSX is not slow. Its great fun to drive, but I'm not saying that I wouldn't love say 50 more HP or lb-ft of torque.
Hey most of us love to drive and power. I wouldn't complain either if the tsx had 250 hp but then the TL has to have more HP and it would put Honda in a bind. They would have to make the TL close to 300 hp . Plus honda loves FWD so imagine the torque steer .

Plus to get that out of a four they might need a turbo I rather normally aspriated. If i want a turbo let me add one becuase they can be problematic for the fun you get out of them.

Plus with a little engine work you can get the TSX about 20-30 hp without s/c or turboing the car
Old 07-18-2007, 03:21 PM
Klutch Dollaz

Originally Posted by Trackruner228
Well how slow can it be I mean caranddriver put it on there 10 best list 3 times now? If they dont think its slow then the power has to be decent since I am sure they take there cars to the track.
Yeah but C&D the past view comparisions tests Poo Poo lately on the TSX. I mean it still placed I think 3rd but there comparing it to some cars with bigger engines and stuff. Plus C&D is very performance biased in my opinion if it ain't ape shit fast sometimes they have some slick comments on cars not in a good way. I love C&D they don't sugarcoat though like some other car mags. Also It was ranked in 10 best 3 times yes but thats an overall review . I just mean when they have comparisions tests or reivews they sometimes don't give it the props it deserves.

They said in one review factory Michelins not to good. Big deal alot of car owners change their tires right after getting a vechile. Once I get a new ride always slap on some decent rubber Yoko, Pirelli, Bridgestone so that never matters to me
Old 07-18-2007, 03:27 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Klutch Dollaz
maybe you got a friday car. But overall TSX seems to be reliable. Obviously there are some lemons but you got alot fo theat work done under warranty so it didn't really hurt you. get that new GTI and expect as someone esle said to be on first name basis with service deptartment. One thing I detest about Euro cars is the price of maintenance. Plus you have to go to the dealer for everything parts n labor. While acura/honda are easy to work on ask most mchanics but when u bring up Europena cars thats the face most mechanics i know make. Only if I had the $$$$ would I ever consider getting something european. Once the japanese get the handling right (which alot of the cars have right already) then what can BMW owners claim then other than their lease/car loan is more than most ppl's acura pymt. Ok let them claim that they can win that one lol
I do all of my own maintenance, so that doesn't bother me. Acura maintenance isn't exactly cheap either.

Previously, my family has had fairly good luck with Honda, which is why I purchased my TSX. I still like driving my car, but I just think if I knew I was going to have this many problems with it, I probably would have just stuck with VW. I don't even want to go into the story about my fiancée’s TL that is about to blow it's second tranny...

Plus, the dealer near me has 5yr/120,000 bumper-to-bumper warranty on the GTI, so I wouldn't be paying anything out of pocket until 2012 if something went wrong. They even do the reflashing themselves, so they're very mod-friendly.

Anyhow, back on topic, I don't think the TSX is underpowered, but compared to other cars in the price range, there are some more sporty options if that's important to you. The new one needs to have a considerable bump in torque to be competitive with the rest of the models on the market. Driving them all back-to-back is pretty startling.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:52 PM
rb1
Suzuka Master

...They even do the reflashing themselves, so they're very mod-friendly...
Just as an aside, I'm a huge fan of turbo motors but am leery of chipping from a long-term reliability perspective, both of the turbo and the motor itself.

My 1.8T was great (AWW motor, 150 hp), but then VW "factory-chipped" it in 2002 with the AWP motor, 180 hp, and those engines were plagued with all sorts of problems, mainly oil-sludging in the turbo oil lines. The 170 hp version in the Passsat was also trouble-prone.

Meanwhile, Audi had also issued the 1.8T in 225 hp, and the engine was beefed up across the board to handle the extra boost (which was still actually modest by chipping standards, but the engine made more power because it could hold it longer). It got forged crank-shaft, larger intercooler, and a larger turbo.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:09 PM
Photography Nerd

Originally Posted by rb1
Just as an aside, I'm a huge fan of turbo motors but am leery of chipping from a long-term reliability perspective, both of the turbo and the motor itself.

My 1.8T was great (AWW motor, 150 hp), but then VW "factory-chipped" it in 2002 with the AWP motor, 180 hp, and those engines were plagued with all sorts of problems, mainly oil-sludging in the turbo oil lines. The 170 hp version in the Passsat was also trouble-prone.

Meanwhile, Audi had also issued the 1.8T in 225 hp, and the engine was beefed up across the board to handle the extra boost (which was still actually modest by chipping standards, but the engine made more power because it could hold it longer). It got forged crank-shaft, larger intercooler, and a larger turbo.
The 2.0T seems to have very few problems, even with aggressive tunes. The parts that are prone to failure are relatively minor and easy to replace (the DV and PCV are the two that jump out). Aftermarket replacements for these parts seem to be holding up well. To sweeten the pot, this dealer near me will even cover any damage that is a result of the reflash should it occur.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:33 PM
B A N N E D

Hey most of us love to drive and power. I wouldn't complain either if the tsx had 250 hp but then the TL has to have more HP and it would put Honda in a bind. They would have to make the TL close to 300 hp . Plus honda loves FWD so imagine the torque steer .

Plus to get that out of a four they might need a turbo I rather normally aspriated. If i want a turbo let me add one becuase they can be problematic for the fun you get out of them.

Plus with a little engine work you can get the TSX about 20-30 hp without s/c or turboing the car
go on about the 20-30hp W/O an SC or turbo... Im listening.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:38 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by dereksmalls
Acutally, out where I live, TSX drivers are typically older women 45-50. Unless there's the A-Spec package in which case it would be a younger woman. My wife has started laughing at me saying I drive an old woman's car. All the younger guys here are driving TLs. I guess they need the extra HP to compensate for their other "shortcomings".
hahaha
totally true

a good buddy of mine (who is about 5'6" and 200lbs of muscle, nicest guy in the world) got a Blue 05 GTO (the 6.0 ltr). 400+ hp, trust me the thing moves. However, as I am sure it was meant to be a penis car, the last 2 months he had it and right when i got my TSX, EVERY girl complimented me on my ride and nobody even so much as acknoweleged the fact that he was driving a car that did 0-60 in under 5 sec.

the thing with having "girlie" cars... is that the "girls" love um.

so yes, i wish the TSX had like 20-30 more HP but I'll take some pussy over beating some guy in a WRX to 120mph on the highway ANY DAY!
Old 07-18-2007, 08:50 PM
Race Director

hilarious!
Old 07-18-2007, 09:22 PM
Poser / Fanboi

Originally Posted by itsme27
am I the only one who is not bothered to drive mt in rush hour traffic?
No, I'm not bothered either. It probably would be easier to have an auto sometimes (and easier on the car as well) but the 6MT is so much worth the "suffering" in traffic.

W/regard to the OP, yeah! The TSX is slow compared to some cars that are meant for major speed, but it's not slow. It's a ton of fun, just like a lot of Honda products.

Originally Posted by TSX Wisc Badger
so yes, i wish the TSX had like 20-30 more HP but I'll take some pussy over beating some guy in a WRX to 120mph on the highway ANY DAY!
If you're in high school your girl might be impressed by an American muscle car - Mustang, GTO, Camaro, whatever... but once you're older I believe they prefer more than just brute power.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:28 PM
Poser / Fanboi

II'm almost convinced I'll be heading back to VW after that drive... :troutslap
Look at the reliability of the VW before you buy one.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:43 AM
Klutch Dollaz

go on about the 20-30hp W/O an SC or turbo... Im listening.
Cold air intake, headers, exhaust, underdrive pulley, hondata reflash That should but you well into a 20-30 hp increase
Old 07-19-2007, 09:17 AM
Intermediate

i used to drive an 01 lexus ES and an 03 wrx, and id say the tsx is just average in speed, prob 10hp would have done it, but its still fun to drive and is a hell of a great car!
Old 07-19-2007, 10:10 AM
Photography Nerd

Originally Posted by hunterk1
Look at the reliability of the VW before you buy one.
Owned a VW, sold it, bought a TSX, TSX was worse than VW. Fiancee's TL is also blowing up...

I'm still happy with the TSX, but it hasn't been the pinacle of quality by any means.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:45 AM
Poser / Fanboi

Owned a VW, sold it, bought a TSX, TSX was worse than VW. Fiancee's TL is also blowing up...
Sorry to hear you're having problems with your TSX. As always, there are examples that deviate from the mean - i.e. there are good VWs and there are bad Acuras. However, on the whole Consumer Reports advises against used VWs because they have poor reliability; similarly, they advise purchasing used Hondas and Toyotas because those vehicles are typically very reliable. Here, I have extrapolated Honda's reliability to Acura - not a stretch in my opinion. I've got three friends locally who would never own a VW again because of the problems they had with them... one of them now owns a Toyota, another has a Honda

Personally, I have a decent 2003 Jetta which has had only a couple medium-sized problems and I am happy with it overall, but not as much as I am with the TSX. My 2006 TSX has had zero problems so far.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:41 AM
B A N N E D

Cold air intake, headers, exhaust, underdrive pulley, hondata reflash That should but you well into a 20-30 hp increase
not on an 07 ... which is what i have. without the reflash you are talking about MAYBE 10hp with the other mods... the pully will helo the engine but not add any actual hp.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:49 AM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Fiancee's TL is also blowing up...
Those haven't been built in Japan for a while ( ), but that doesn't excuse your TSX difficulties...
Old 07-19-2007, 11:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

not on an 07 ... which is what i have. without the reflash you are talking about MAYBE 10hp with the other mods... the pully will helo the engine but not add any actual hp.
Without the reflash you are still looking around these numbers:
intake - 5HP
headers - 4-6HP
pulleys - 6-7HP (some people may disagree, depends on who you talk to)
exhaust - 1-2HP

So you can still get around 15-17ish HP but the reflash will maek them work better and earlier. You will still get and feel gains but it just won't be earlier on in the RPM range. Headers and pulleys are decent gains in torque all the way throughout the band whereas intake and exhaust are a little better above 3-4k. The numbers above are WHP btw.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:10 PM
CL9 ABP

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts
Hondata for me was done after all the mods.

Exhaust flatten out torque band, cai injen lost power in the lower band,
headers helped the car breath,
pulleys helps the car pull
highflow cat added some more power on a dyno, but not much. It also added noise.

Hondata was what topped it off, Making the drive everyday fun even in an AT.

Honestly guys i know alot of people have MT and are happy, but I hate how you guys rub the fact that MT is the greater, no kidding If i had a choice I would have gotten one, but still let me remind you
my location and how i drive the car everyday, does no make MT practical one bit compare to AT.

Sure its more fun to drive, but in everyday commuting, my tsx isn't a weekend car or a short time drive, I have to drive a rough 100 miles a day, not to mention for an 05 i'm up to 73000 right now.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:17 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
It scoots around okay with just me in it. Put 4 full-grown men in one and it starts to feel pretty underpowered though....an I have an 06 6m/t too.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:24 PM
CL9 ABP

I have a funny story about that
my friend his college classmate, had an integra modded up, he had some decent time for his drag runs, his classmate weighs like 380, big guy. He swore to my friend if he lost weight or asked someone else to drive his time would like shave off close to 2 seconds haha...
Old 07-19-2007, 02:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Brandon24pdx
It scoots around okay with just me in it. Put 4 full-grown men in one and it starts to feel pretty underpowered though....an I have an 06 6m/t too.
i agree, when the car is loaded with people it definitely drags, but i've noticed this in every car i've ever driven. can't do much about it.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:13 PM
Photography Nerd

Originally Posted by Brandon24pdx
You should be driving with 4 fit ladies then....
Old 07-19-2007, 02:23 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by itsme27
am I the only one who is not bothered to drive mt in rush hour traffic?
no
Old 07-19-2007, 02:28 PM
Have camera, will travel

^+1
Old 07-19-2007, 02:33 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by jwood_06TSX
Without the reflash you are still looking around these numbers:
intake - 5HP
headers - 4-6HP
pulleys - 6-7HP (some people may disagree, depends on who you talk to)
exhaust - 1-2HP

So you can still get around 15-17ish HP but the reflash will maek them work better and earlier. You will still get and feel gains but it just won't be earlier on in the RPM range. Headers and pulleys are decent gains in torque all the way throughout the band whereas intake and exhaust are a little better above 3-4k. The numbers above are WHP btw.
ok i got ya... i think exhaust is a waste of $600 for that amount of gain... acuras usually have a pretty good set up and i dont want a loud car.
headers are a good possiblity and my intake claims a 10hp gain so im good on that.

what/where should i look at pulleys and how much should i be paying for them and install?
Old 07-19-2007, 02:34 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
hhaah
Old 07-19-2007, 03:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

ok i got ya... i think exhaust is a waste of $600 for that amount of gain... acuras usually have a pretty good set up and i dont want a loud car.
headers are a good possiblity and my intake claims a 10hp gain so im good on that.

what/where should i look at pulleys and how much should i be paying for them and install?
I have seen injen intakes get 7 HP at the top gain but you loose some low end torque. And you are correct, our TSX has a pretty good free flowing exhaust, and the new 06-07's CAT's aren't all that bad either!

As for pullies, i haven't done much research, as i don't plan on getting them, but you can go with either UR pullies or NST (Unorthodox Racing or Non-Stop Tuning). Both seem to claim similar gains. As for install price, look to pay a decent amount due to the slightly more complex install compared to others....i'll leave it there though until some one else that has them and knows more chimes in.....but you get the picture.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:43 PM
Race Director

face it, for me, if the TSX was $23-25K range and the TL was $27-30K range, I would've gotten the TL for the extra power and comfort. Only thing is why is the TL not made in Japan! The first gen TL was.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:33 PM
Clueless

I had a '99 TL and an '01 CL Type S. Nice power, but the handling left a lot to be desired. The TSX's engine is a jewel. It's true that it's a stone off the line, but once it gets going, it's teriffic. To me, this car is about balance and handling. With a tire upgrade and a beefier RSB, it's just great. It just does a lot of things very well. And it comes loaded. I feel for the price, it's a real bargain. If someone is willing to learn how to drive it correctly, the rewards are certainly there.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:04 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I hate the fact that it takes FOREVER to get up to 'fun' rpm range. By the time I am above 4500rpm, I am already over the speed limit. Blah.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:14 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by frank b
I had a '99 TL and an '01 CL Type S. Nice power, but the handling left a lot to be desired. The TSX's engine is a jewel. It's true that it's a stone off the line, but once it gets going, it's teriffic. To me, this car is about balance and handling. With a tire upgrade and a beefier RSB, it's just great. It just does a lot of things very well. And it comes loaded. I feel for the price, it's a real bargain. If someone is willing to learn how to drive it correctly, the rewards are certainly there.

I couldn't have said it any better. In fact, I think it was designed to do just that. Good Call.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:28 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
TSX not slow with 6MT, kind of a dog unfortunately in 5AT, but moves quicker in SS mode.
I thought that the AT feeling quicker and "torque-ier" in SS was just my imagination, but you're saying it's legit?
What's the reason for this? Is it something mechanical, or something to do with the ECU?
Old 07-19-2007, 08:44 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lcrazyaznl
I have a funny story about that
my friend his college classmate, had an integra modded up, he had some decent time for his drag runs, his classmate weighs like 380, big guy. He swore to my friend if he lost weight or asked someone else to drive his time would like shave off close to 2 seconds haha...
Your classmate doesnt know crap about 1/4 times and weight. Shaving off 100lb generally equal a tenth of a second.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:56 PM
CL9 ABP

Hey i dont know his track times or anything it was just funny how much the drive could weigh down the car, when the guy brought up 4 males sitting in his car.

I never tracked my car in a drag anyway or even attempted a street race so i don't know whats "legit" i see the integra i got stolen in front of st johns. He spent alot of money on it, its not my friend its my friend's classmate. So yea *shrugs
Old 07-20-2007, 01:45 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by ninjamyst
I hate the fact that it takes FOREVER to get up to 'fun' rpm range. By the time I am above 4500rpm, I am already over the speed limit. Blah.
+1!
Old 07-20-2007, 08:12 AM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ninjamyst
I haven't noticed this problem with the MT...

Quick Reply: WTF TSX is too slow no its not what wrong with ppl