Windshield Stone nick

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 06:12 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Windshield Stone nick

After 2 months of owning the car I got my first nick from a stone chip on my windshield. It's doesn't appear to have cracked the windshield but as nicked it pretty good. It's only the size of thumbtack in but I'm wondering if places like safelite can fix it so it isn't visible? They want $120 for the repair but if it makes it not visible will be worth it. Anyone have advice on what to do?

Thanks
Old 03-05-2010, 07:17 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by npolite
After 2 months of owning the car I got my first nick from a stone chip on my windshield. It's doesn't appear to have cracked the windshield but as nicked it pretty good. It's only the size of thumbtack in but I'm wondering if places like safelite can fix it so it isn't visible? They want $120 for the repair but if it makes it not visible will be worth it. Anyone have advice on what to do?

Thanks
Don't know about PA, but here in Mass., the insurance company will buy me one new windshield a year with no deductible (and considering what we pay for insurance here, they should.....). This of course assumes the windshield can't be fixed (wink, wink). They'll also pay for the repair (and would prefer to of course).
Old 03-05-2010, 07:37 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Simba91102
Don't know about PA, but here in Mass., the insurance company will buy me one new windshield a year with no deductible (and considering what we pay for insurance here, they should.....). This of course assumes the windshield can't be fixed (wink, wink). They'll also pay for the repair (and would prefer to of course).
I do have coverage with my insurance on this but don't know what impact it will have on my fees down the road. And for $120 I don't think it's a lot to pay as long as I can't see it. As far as I know it won't make it go up but then again you might not be given any further discounts.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:42 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
If it's just a "nick", there's nothing that a windshield repair shop can do. It has to be "cracked". Also, if and when they repair it, it will definitely not disappear. They drill into the center of the crack, vacuum out all of the air, and then apply the "glue".

$120 isn't worth it. Most places will do it for $60-$70, at least here in SoCal.

If you have insurance, MANY insurance policies carry a glass coverage policy. Every single windshield crack I've had has been repaired for free through my insurance. Utilizing this feature will NOT negatively affect your insurance rate.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:54 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by princelybug
If it's just a "nick", there's nothing that a windshield repair shop can do. It has to be "cracked". Also, if and when they repair it, it will definitely not disappear. They drill into the center of the crack, vacuum out all of the air, and then apply the "glue".

$120 isn't worth it. Most places will do it for $60-$70, at least here in SoCal.

If you have insurance, MANY insurance policies carry a glass coverage policy. Every single windshield crack I've had has been repaired for free through my insurance. Utilizing this feature will NOT negatively affect your insurance rate.
Thanks for the info. If my insurance co says they can't do anything for the chip then I'll leave it be for now.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:59 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
^

If it is a "crack", it's a good idea to get it taken care of. You don't want it to continue to get larger, which it will if you put pressure on it.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:58 PM
i-vtec soo good

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
^Take his advice. I had the same "nick" in my windshield and one snowed out morning as I was cleaning the 3 inches of snow off of my car, the little crack, cracked 1/3 across the windshield even with the front defogger on low @71F.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:43 PM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I was told the same thing about not being able to repair tiny nicks. I have a very small rock nick that's probably only 1-2mm into the windshield and maybe a 2cm diameter. It's noticeable to me all the time, but it's extremely small. (could be mistaken for a little sprits of water from the wiper nozzle). Are you all saying that it's essentially not possible to fill these nicks?
Old 03-06-2010, 11:07 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Jottle
I was told the same thing about not being able to repair tiny nicks. I have a very small rock nick that's probably only 1-2mm into the windshield and maybe a 2cm diameter. It's noticeable to me all the time, but it's extremely small. (could be mistaken for a little sprits of water from the wiper nozzle). Are you all saying that it's essentially not possible to fill these nicks?
What are you guys doing asking for advice about this stuff from the story tellers here? Go to a friggin glass shop and find out what they can do, how it will look, how much it would cost, and if insurance will cover it. Believe me, they know what insurance will cover and if it will impact what you pay for insurance. It is their business after all, and..... in their best interest to know everything there is to know about the car insurance racket (and make no mistake, it is a racket) in their particular location. And coverage varies from state to state, so what may be the rule in CA has little or no bearing on what someone in PA may encounter when it comes to who pays, how much, etc.
This is a good place for information, but sometimes the only way to find an accurate answer to a question is old fashioned leg work.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:33 AM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
I've had a nick on my windshield for 2 years.

You'll notice it less everyday.

I forgotten about it until I stumbled upon your thread

Not worth the money to "repair" or replace the whole windshield.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:26 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Is it possible to apply some sort of clear glue to seal + diminish the chip?
Old 03-06-2010, 09:03 PM
Pro

Well I called the insurance company's number for the glass repair work. I made sure I mentioned it was a nick and not a crack and they still sent someone over. The guy was honest and told me in the future not to even bother unless they are cracked. He did a little work on it and it is less noticeable but still there. Good to know for next time.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:05 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
haaaate those nicks, but they are a fact of life for cars in snowy climates. Thats why it doesnt pay to replace your windshield UNLESS a glass pro tells you they need to replace it. IF you replace your windshild for every small nick, youd be replacing it once a year. Take it to a safelite or other pro and see what can be done. The resin fixes doesnt make it go away 100%, but will make it MUCH MUCH less noticeable.

Just got one RIGHT in my line of vision thats way too small to be fixed. So...Ill have to live with it. Right now Im going nuts over it, but like the above poster said, they do get less and less noticeable as time goes on and your eyes "learn" to adjust to them.