will you really wait 120K miles to.....................

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 10:11 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
A few interesting links I thought I would post. A simple search on the net brought up a ton of issues with DexCool. Even consumeraffairs.com has a dedicated area for it. I will leave it at that.

DexCool problems:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/autom...m_dexcool.html

http://www.geocities.com/b_gillie/dexcool_problems.html
Old 12-12-2006, 10:30 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
What if I told you that VW's G-12 and G-12+ are virtually identical to DexCool...and they are not having the same problems... ???
Old 12-12-2006, 11:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by smx95
threedom I have nothing against you but do you work in the automotive field?

Ok I want you to go up to any dexcool car with original coolant with around 60k and test the coolant. Better yet remove the lower radiator hose and put a strainer under the coolant and see what comes out. As for intake manifolds there is no such things as a rumor. It is 100% true. The gasket becomes thin over time and NOT flushing your coolant will cause the coolant to become acid like and eat away the thin rubber gasket causing coolant to now go into the engine causing mechanical damage.

About the timing belt. Why would you spend 4-5 hours pulling apart the belt and knowing that at 100k this has an original waterpump (which is T-belt driven) and not replace it? So that in the next few miles or so the waterpump fails and now you are stuck with the cost of labor to pull the timing cover off again with the belt. Tensioner is highly recommended because at 100k they arent are tight as they were from factory. Please if you haven't put your hands on anything don't talk out of ignorance. Ask any well made mechanic and they will tell you the same thing.

Ending statement. It's your acura you may do whatever the manual says to do. Let me know at 100k how everythings going.
Are we still talking about the TSX coolant change here? If so, then this K-series engine uses a timing chain and the water pump is driven by the serpentine belt on the outside. Therefore, it's not necessary to replace the water pump until it's needed. However, it's a normal practice to replace the water pump while performing timing belt replacement on other Honda or similar design engines to save future labor cost should the water pump fail soon after the T-belt replacement. But if you are your own mechanic and want to save some money, then it's your call.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:39 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by moda_way
For as much as you drive it, it'll be 20 yrs before you get to 120k.
I'll have you know I'm 8 miles away from 25K. When the windows don't creak against the seals, as they did today, this car is such a joy to drive.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
If i were to follow any recommendations, I think i would rather follow the recommendation of WHO builds the car. Just like oil changes. people do 3 k intervals even though most now recommend 7500. Dont you think the guys building the motors know more about what it can do and what shape the oil is in at that mileage? That said i really dont follow any of the recommendations. In 200k with my TL i never changed the coolant, never replaced the timing belt. That motor was in perfect condition, along with the fluid. (as i tested all my fluids regularly to see their condition) Also with 15k oil change intervals.