Will Acura ever come out a RWD sport sedan?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 02:08 AM
Houston we have a problem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will Acura ever come out a RWD sport sedan?

Let's face it guys. When you're talking about pure enthusias driving, an FWD just wouldn't cut it. Don't take me wrong, I love my TSX, but considering the refinement of the car, the extraordinary shifter, and the gem like engine, wouldn't it be nice if the car is an RWD rather than FWD? And we all know Honda knows how to get things right on a RWD car (S2000, NSX...)
Look at the huge success of G35s, especially the coupe version. When will Acura make something that will kick their ass?

Until Acura came up with something, my next car will definitely be an RWD vehicle (just read the article on Car and Driver about the future Mazda RX-7 turbo, scheduled to be here around yr 2005)
Old 08-13-2003, 02:19 AM
Racer

Re: Will Acura ever come out a RWD sport sedan?

Well at least i don't think they'll go as far as the nissan maxima. Just keep putting in so much horsepower that its not that stable with fwd. From what i read in these threads (damn i learned a lot) they will have a partly awd car. I think they said like 100hp to the rear wheels and 200 from the front or something? Either that or a full awd car, but that won't be too popular here in LA as all we want is to save gas. It doesn't snow here.

And about that rx-7 turbo... what issue of car and driver was that?
Old 08-13-2003, 02:44 AM

Sorry, not car and driver but road and track. september 03.
Old 08-13-2003, 02:46 AM
More On

Re: Will Acura ever come out a RWD sport sedan?

Originally posted by TSXautoXer
.....wouldn't it be nice if the car is an RWD rather than FWD?.....
No, it wouldn't.

Diff'rent strokes, I guess. If it were RWD I never would have taken a look at it.

I have no idea if this is right, but I think most Acura buyers would feel there wasn't much reason for their model to even exist if it were RWD.
Old 08-13-2003, 02:54 AM
Instructor

Let's face it guys. When you're talking about pure enthusias driving, an FWD just wouldn't cut it. Don't take me wrong, I love my TSX, but considering the refinement of the car, the extraordinary shifter, and the gem like engine, wouldn't it be nice if the car is an RWD rather than FWD?
TSXautoXer hearby summons the vicious and unrelenting wrath of Larchmont!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-13-2003, 03:00 AM
More On

Originally posted by MotownTSX
TSXautoXer hearby summons the vicious and unrelenting wrath of Larchmont!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
R U kidding? He's my buddy!

He just needs to get stuck and go slipping and sliding on snow and ice and rain and slush with a RWD car a few times, that's all.
Old 08-13-2003, 03:04 AM
Racer

Originally posted by larchmont

He just needs to get stuck and go slipping and sliding on snow and ice and rain and slush with a RWD car a few times, that's all.
BOOM Larchmont shoots. TSXautoXer is now dead. Rest in Peace.
Old 08-13-2003, 03:06 AM
Instructor

Ah, come on now! That all adds to the fun-factor of driving!!!!!! (and adds hairs to your chest!)
Old 08-13-2003, 03:08 AM
Burning Brakes

i think it wont happen anytime soon... until they get serious about ACURA as a real luxury brand, they will continue to make rebadged Honda's as Acura's... but if they want to be taken seriously..they will need rwd carS to do it..look at Lexus,BMW,MB,Jag etc... all of their higher up/non entry models are RWD or AWD with V8's. it is a prerequistie to be considered a real luxury carmaker.
Old 08-13-2003, 03:35 AM

Originally posted by larchmont

If you did notice I said "pure enthusiast driving" . And if you can handle the weight transfer of the car well, it really does not matter if you drive in rain/snow/ice/mud. But it's off topic. And no, I really don't care about luxury cars. On that end I think even Caddy's (FWD V8) is fine. Who will ever drift a $80K, 4000+ lbs sedan around a race track?
Old 08-13-2003, 10:41 AM
More On

......TSX changed me~~!!!.....
BMW changed ME!
Old 08-13-2003, 01:57 PM
Burning Brakes

If you did notice I said "pure enthusiast driving" . And if you can handle the weight transfer of the car well, it really does not matter if you drive in rain/snow/ice/mud. But it's off topic. And no, I really don't care about luxury cars. On that end I think even Caddy's (FWD V8) is fine. Who will ever drift a $80K, 4000+ lbs sedan around a race track?
i did not know caddy had a FWD? let alone V8!!?? are you sure?
Old 08-13-2003, 02:03 PM
Instructor

I would. can you say.... ///M5???? or even the RS6 or E55.
Old 08-13-2003, 02:03 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

did you mean "BMW _charged_ me!"?
Old 08-13-2003, 02:53 PM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally posted by gilboman
i did not know caddy had a FWD? let alone V8!!?? are you sure?
2004 Cadillac DeVILLE DTS
http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.n...M2&&Sedans&&nc

2004 Cadillac SEVILLE SLS
http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.n...M3&&Sedans&&nc
Old 08-13-2003, 04:06 PM

Hmm...from all the replies, I can really tell how people presume a RWD sports sedan had to be a BMW. No, BMW did not change me. And to think about it, I loved BMW before I had driver's license. Yet, after owning 3 of them, I still bought a TSX on my latest purchase. And I really think TSX has done a tremendous job. HOWEVER, I am not talking about BMW or any specific brand. With such wonderful technology, excellent quality control, and out-of-this world reliability, isn't it be nice to have a RWD sport sedan for us hardcore enthusiasts?

Just a reminder, Acura/Honda makes RWD cars too, like the wonderful S2000 (almost bought one before I found out my 6'3" frame is too big for the car), and the NSX ($80K?? err....).
Old 08-13-2003, 04:16 PM

Dude, it's called you can choose what u want. U want an entry-level luxo car with FWD buy an Acura. U want a real sport sedan, buy something else.

Only Toyota has proven successful selling 2 sedan totally different at the same price (ES, IS).
Old 08-13-2003, 04:27 PM
'12 TL (prev '04 TSX 6MT)

Want a RWD sedan? Drive backwards. :P
Old 08-13-2003, 04:36 PM
Racer

Hmm...from all the replies, I can really tell how people presume a RWD sports sedan had to be a BMW. No, BMW did not change me. And to think about it, I loved BMW before I had driver's license. Yet, after owning 3 of them, I still bought a TSX on my latest purchase. And I really think TSX has done a tremendous job. HOWEVER, I am not talking about BMW or any specific brand. With such wonderful technology, excellent quality control, and out-of-this world reliability, isn't it be nice to have a RWD sport sedan for us hardcore enthusiasts?
Acura has been making FWDs for most of its time. The people who buy acuras look for these fwds. Whether it may be for the snow or whatever other reasons they look for the fwd. I think Acura knows him and made it FWD on purpose, as otherwise it might have upset the people looking for FWD vehicles. In time it may change but not yet. Plus they do make the best FWD cars handling wise and beats some rwd cars, so im not complaining.
Old 08-13-2003, 04:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by vwong
2004 Cadillac DeVILLE DTS
http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.n...M2&&Sedans&&nc

2004 Cadillac SEVILLE SLS
http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.n...M3&&Sedans&&nc
damn..never knew that... no wonder nobody ever buys those things or mention performance in same breath as them..those are old granny mobiles...
Old 08-13-2003, 04:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Count Blah
Want a RWD sedan? Drive backwards. :P
lol
Old 08-13-2003, 05:41 PM
Instructor

RWD Acuras?

I don't think it's an impossibility, but generally car manufacturers (like the rest of us) tend to play to their strengths. There are some distinct advantages to FWD (and inclement weather is NOT one of them) and some distinct advantages to RWD.

Go sit in the back of a 3 series (or a quattro A4). There's not nearly as much room as a TSX. FWD is more space efficient. When you're as good at executing FWD as Honda/Acura are then why bother with RWD.

I have heard that there will be an AWD TSX - to me this is silly. AWD doesn't especially handle better and it tends to add weight. There is a limited market for an AWD TSX and I'd rather see Acura putting their time into developing about 15 extra hp for the TSX's motor.

The above is based upon my experience with cars as listed below.

C.

ex 2001 Audi S4 Avant (AWD)
ex 99 M3 (RWD) (plus a couple of other bimmers)
ex 97 Prelude SH (FWD)
Old 08-13-2003, 05:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Re: RWD Acuras?

Originally posted by chrisalberts
I don't think it's an impossibility, but generally car manufacturers (like the rest of us) tend to play to their strengths. There are some distinct advantages to FWD (and inclement weather is NOT one of them) and some distinct advantages to RWD.

Go sit in the back of a 3 series (or a quattro A4). There's not nearly as much room as a TSX. FWD is more space efficient. When you're as good at executing FWD as Honda/Acura are then why bother with RWD.

I have heard that there will be an AWD TSX - to me this is silly. AWD doesn't especially handle better and it tends to add weight. There is a limited market for an AWD TSX and I'd rather see Acura putting their time into developing about 15 extra hp for the TSX's motor.

The above is based upon my experience with cars as listed below.

C.

ex 2001 Audi S4 Avant (AWD)
ex 99 M3 (RWD) (plus a couple of other bimmers)
ex 97 Prelude SH (FWD)
Though I tend to agree with most of your post I am going to have to disagree with one thing.
"There are some distinct advantages to FWD (and inclement weather is NOT one of them)..." Tell that to all the rwd cars in the ditch every Minnesota winter.
Old 08-13-2003, 06:03 PM

Now chris' post is the kind of post I am looking for. So the answer is probably "No, they won't bother since they're already so good at FWD, they will keep improving on them."
Thank you ladies and gentlemen.

And I do think FWD cars is easier to drive in winter for regular drivers. That right foot of yours have to be really precise to control a RWD vehicle in skidding situation. That I totally agree.
Old 08-13-2003, 06:08 PM
Instructor

Re: Re: RWD Acuras?

Originally posted by AcuraFan
Though I tend to agree with most of your post I am going to have to disagree with one thing.
"There are some distinct advantages to FWD (and inclement weather is NOT one of them)..." Tell that to all the rwd cars in the ditch every Minnesota winter.
You're right! I should have said "inclement weather need not be one of them".

I'd rather take a RWD vehicle with snow tires over a FWD or AWD with all-seasons. Also, driver ability is a huge issue with poor weather driving.

C.
Old 08-13-2003, 06:24 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just think its all about the $$$. For Acura to have made the TSX RWD would have cost them HUGE $$. The most cost effective thing will be for Honda to develop AWD, and offer it across the board (RL,TL,TSX, Accord, etc). This is most likely the way they will go. It is after all...a business.