Wife is upset i'm so anal about the new TSX

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 09:36 AM
RooDHawG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wife is upset i'm so anal about the new TSX

Looking for some advice/comments here about a significant others reaction to me being anal about the new TSX. So here's the deal. The car is kind of "my" car since she has a 2004 Pilot. We've had the new TSX about a month now and today I needed to drive the Pilot so she took the TSX w/ the kids to run errands and stuff. So I start telling her to be careful when you insert the key not to scratch the key ring plastic/rubber around where the key is inserted and she starts getting this attitude like I’m being a freak about the new car. I was too scared to remind her of how she totally tore up my Tacoma keyhole area...LOL! Anyway, I start telling her to lay off until it's warmed up and be careful when you take off your seatbelt not to scratch the side panel plastic and she just starts laughing at me saying I am soooo freakin' anal. So am I a freak or just aware to take care of my stuff? Comments from males and females welcome for a well-rounded assessment of my weirdness...lol.

Thanks
Old 02-23-2007, 09:45 AM
Oh well it's

I say yes, you must be a little anal about the key ring but to each is to own. If she has a Pilot, I say make it a his/hers deal. You only drive the TSX and she sticks with the Pilot
Old 02-23-2007, 09:47 AM
Yes it is!

I flip out on people riding in my car that touch the inside glass with their fingers. I also open the door even for guys so that they don't scratch the paint with their fingernails. Everyone gets on me about it too.

Some people just think of cars like appliances. Other people, like most of the guys on here, are just passionate about cars. I don't think there's much you can do about it. Different strokes, different folks.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Female here, and yes I am anal about my car. Shit does happen, but if it can be prevented, then by all means try to be careful when you can. Everyone's degree of anal-ness is different, but there's nothing wrong with trying to keep your car looking nice. :wink:
Old 02-23-2007, 09:59 AM
where is my garage?!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my wife and i share the TSX, but i do most of the driving. i mean, you'll inevitably incur some wear and tear. it'll never be perfect. for me, it's just avoiding situations that may cause something to happen to the car (ie. scratches, dings, etc...) but i don't want to be a total nazi when it comes to ppl riding in the back either. i mean, they have to touch the car, no?
Old 02-23-2007, 10:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I WAS very strick about keeping my TSX clean until my son barfed twice in it. Everything cleaned up fine, but you gain a new respect for how dirty a car can get before it looks as bad an exploded container of cottage cheese in the back seat. Shyt happens, just don't be neglectful.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:12 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Deity711
I flip out on people riding in my car that touch the inside glass with their fingers.
I hate that too, also when people put fingerprints on the outside glass when they close the door

I tell everybody be carefull when they are getting into the car so there shoes dont scuff the plastic on the floorboard. Plus Im always yelling at my friends when they put their keys in my cupholder or in the pocket on the passenger door because I dont want any type of scratches on the plastic.

Maybe we are anal, but I like to think that everybody else just doesnt care enough
Old 02-23-2007, 10:15 AM
where is my garage?!

i did have a revelation a few weeks ago about how people sometimes use their finger and write 'WASH ME' on random cars in parking lots. or some of your friends goofing off. now that i'm trying avoid any further scratches, i'm totally paranoid someone just randomly do this and i'll lose my sh*t. haha. i'm washing it tomorrow!
Old 02-23-2007, 10:28 AM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OMFG! I am SSOOO anal about my car! I've had the car approximately 26 months and the wife has driven it twice. I'm anal about anyything to do with the car. My dealership would come to my work/house to pick up the car for service, but I just go in after work, I don't want anyone else driving her.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:33 AM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
My girl tells me I'm very anal when it comes to my ride. She's scared to even touch it. I don't think it's a bad trait...being type A. Most people work hard for nice things and want to keep it nice. You're not a freak man, you're just Type A.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:49 AM
Senior Moderator

You know, I LOVE my car, but I'm just not anal about it like this. My car gets dirty, I wash it. It gets scuffs in the plastic, so what, its a car. As long as no one is screwing with my drivetrain, abusing the engine while driving, or scratching my navi screen (ok... i'd kill someone for that) you gotta remember that its just a car!

Love you car, don't take it out on your friends / significant others. Its just a thing!
And remember, you'll probably get a new one in 4 or 5 years anyway.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:51 AM
Guinea Pig

Yes! You're anal. After working on dozens of cars from people in this forum I can honestly say that 80% of everyone reading this is the exact same as you or worse within the first year of owning it. It's new and you will eventually chill about it though. No worries! You will get over it in time. You'll get tired of being the only person in the world that stresses over or even sees a defect in your paint when your face is within 8 inches from the car.

Remeber it may be your baby, but it's just a car!
Old 02-23-2007, 11:10 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Only one thing to do in this situation....... Ditch the wife.

j/k

You need to be more trusting and she needs to be more understanding.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:22 AM
Pro

same here, the wife has driven my TSX twice since I've had it. about a 16months now. she sees a car as mentioned above as an object that gets you from point a to point b and thats it. she takes both kids to daycare and her car is always a mess. my 4 yr old knows when he is in daddys car no feet on the seat and no food or drinks, but he gets to listen to XM or his playlist on the IPOD so hes very happy. plus as he says it Daddys car is sweet.

my car is washed about every week or two weeks and gets waxed about the same or once a month, full detail at least once a month. luckly mine goes from garage at home to garage at work so she dosen't see the elements all that much which is good for my ebony interior.

your anal but were supposed to be its a brand new car and its always better to try to prevent some things before they happen.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:23 AM
Instructor

what a bitch
Old 02-23-2007, 11:42 AM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
You're entitled to your new car honeymoon phase for awhile (a couple of months in the least) but once your past that, you gotta let your wife feel that you somewhat trust her with the car. Granted, I'm still anal about my car, but its just a car. Having 2 kids now, I've gotten more into cleaning up messes rather than preventing them. Anyways, my wife and I have more important things to argue about.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:47 AM
Instructor

It's just a car...
Old 02-23-2007, 11:49 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My wife doesn't say anything, but she gets that look.

"that" look is kind of and all rolled into one.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:51 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
that anal attribute will lessen with time
Old 02-23-2007, 11:54 AM
Racer

OMG!!! The plastic ring that is hidden behind the steering...where nobody looks???
Old 02-23-2007, 11:56 AM
Racer

Overprotective tendencies with new car

I'm definitely overprotective of my beloved TSX - not a single door ding in nearly 4 years of ownership.

I know I'm excessive, but I don't think there's anything wrong with that because I'm willing to pay the price to keep the TSX nice. That means walking long distances in parking lots, hand washing/detailing the car mid-week, etc.

I have to say that if you REALLY, REALLY want to protect your TSX from the wife, you gotta find a way to keep her from driving it. Otherwise, you gotta accept whatever happens.

I refuse to park my car at the airport, so I make a deal with my wife -- I pay for gas and airport parking whenever we go on a trip, and we take her car.

Only in emergencies do I let her drive my car. Fortunately, she's pretty careful and understanding about taking care of the TSX.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:13 PM
Instructor

I think my wife thinks I'm a little anal and I don't go as far as RooDHawG. I always get on her when she's backing her Pilot out of the garage not to get close to the TSX, and the same when she backs the TSX out. Plus not to get so close to the TSX when she parks so when the doors open they don't touch. Plus sometimes she will park the TSX in the drive way on the side where the lawn sprinklers hit, leaving huge water marks. But I agree with Moda_way on the kid comment. My son has dropped stuff in the back of the TSX, and you can't get too mad. I think getting upset about the plastic around where the key is inserted getting scratched is a little far. Its not an area you notice as its hidden behind the wheel.

I'm Just glad most cars now are keyless entry, as inserting a metal key into a slot surrounded by easily scratchable paint is just asking for trouble !
Old 02-23-2007, 12:14 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jlukja
My wife doesn't say anything, but she gets that look.

"that" look is kind of and all rolled into one.

LMAO...... I know that look !
Old 02-23-2007, 12:37 PM
rb1
Suzuka Master

It will get better with time.

The main thing I miss about my old car (new TSX is less than a week old ) is that I didn't worry about what happened to it so much. It was in basically mint condition before it got rear-ended two weeks ago, but in the last few years I had been hauling wood, landscaping materials, pine straw, etc. in it.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:48 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tmetcalf
LMAO...... I know that look !
That is my wife to a "T"!!
Old 02-23-2007, 12:56 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Im reminded of one day when I saw some mousy broad with the kid in the passenger seat driving (probably her husband's) E46 M3.

She must have been a naturally close parker, cause when she pulled into that parking space and completely plowed the entire front lip into the curb, she looked happy as a clam in tartar sauce that the car was finally parked. (The kid seemed to realize something was amiss...)

I damn near died laughing that it wasn't my car (or wife).
Old 02-23-2007, 12:57 PM
Tormented by mod choices

I am right there with you roodhawg. Coming from an Asian household, there is only one solution: hit your steering column w/ some plastic wrap and cut a hole for the key. If it works for TV remote controls, it will work for this.

Trust me, while our TV is on its way to join the dodo bird, the remotes look like they just got pulled out of a sealed time capsule
Old 02-23-2007, 12:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

I had a friend who was getting in my car, and her belt scratched the leather as she sat...

a whole 5 inch scratch to my new TSX...

but I kept quiet, cuz I didn't wanta look like an ass...

I was crying inside though..
Old 02-23-2007, 01:07 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by steeveage
Coming from an Asian household, there is only one solution: hit your steering column w/ some plastic wrap and cut a hole for the key. If it works for TV remote controls, it will work for this.

Trust me, while our TV is on its way to join the dodo bird, the remotes look like they just got pulled out of a sealed time capsule
So true.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:21 PM
where is my garage?!

I am right there with you roodhawg. Coming from an Asian household, there is only one solution: hit your steering column w/ some plastic wrap and cut a hole for the key. If it works for TV remote controls, it will work for this.

lol! so asian. i might as well saran-wrap the TSX and put a giant rubberband around the body to hold it. take that, bird shit!!
Old 02-23-2007, 01:49 PM
Intermediate

The plastic wrap stories are hilarious.

Cars get dirty and then you clean them...

I'm anal about 2 things when it comes to cars - don't leave your daily stuff in the car. Pens, wrappers, books, newspapers, etc. pickup the day's crap when you exit. And parking. I always get a good work out when we take the family to the mall... I hate close parkers and door dings...
Old 02-23-2007, 01:51 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by RooDHawG
Looking for some advice/comments here about a significant others reaction to me being anal about the new TSX. So here's the deal. The car is kind of "my" car since she has a 2004 Pilot. We've had the new TSX about a month now and today I needed to drive the Pilot so she took the TSX w/ the kids to run errands and stuff. So I start telling her to be careful when you insert the key not to scratch the key ring plastic/rubber around where the key is inserted and she starts getting this attitude like I’m being a freak about the new car. I was too scared to remind her of how she totally tore up my Tacoma keyhole area...LOL! Anyway, I start telling her to lay off until it's warmed up and be careful when you take off your seatbelt not to scratch the side panel plastic and she just starts laughing at me saying I am soooo freakin' anal. So am I a freak or just aware to take care of my stuff? Comments from males and females welcome for a well-rounded assessment of my weirdness...lol.

Thanks
I thought I was the only one who did this! That's too funny. Don't back down man
Old 02-23-2007, 01:55 PM
CarbonGreyPearlEbony

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You have to be anal if you care about your car. Plus, then they wonder why their
car is falling apart. My ex's car is destroyed and was in very good condition when
she got it. She wonders why.. Used to make fun of me for being so anal
and now look who's laughing.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:57 PM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by moda_way
I WAS very strick about keeping my TSX clean until my son barfed twice in it. Everything cleaned up fine, but you gain a new respect for how dirty a car can get before it looks as bad an exploded container of cottage cheese in the back seat. Shyt happens, just don't be neglectful.
similar incident with sick lil cousin and Chinese food...
Old 02-23-2007, 02:30 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by waTSX
I thought I was the only one who did this! That's too funny. Don't back down man
I try not to scratch that ring either.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:59 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
I'm about the same with my car.

But hey, we all can't be perfect right? I just scratched my leather seat two months ago with my belt on my pants, and I was screaming and yelling and all the good stuff when my friend was next to me in the car, and I could tell she was a bitttttttt scared.

But yeah, I've learned that it's all normal wear and tear, and it's going to happen eventually. During the snow storm, I didn't realize but while driving in the snow, apparently a nice ice lump on the road of snow scratched the hell out of my front bumper, didn't really phase me, but yeah, it'll happen.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:01 PM
Racer

You guys are involved in some weird marriages! You're the rest of us normal people look bad!
Old 02-23-2007, 03:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX420J
You have to be anal if you care about your car. Plus, then they wonder why their
car is falling apart. My ex's car is destroyed and was in very good condition when
she got it. She wonders why.. Used to make fun of me for being so anal
and now look who's laughing.
My dad makes fun of me constantly for being anal and washing my car every week by hand (he even buys me gift certificates for the local automatic car wash, which I'll use when it's under 55 degrees, but not above). Yet, he is the one driving around with a scratched up car because he isn't careful at all. He bikes, and throws his bike in the trunk with the rear seats folded down, and when he does this, he puts all kinds of scratches on the bumper and trunk. I've tried and tried to tell him to use more care, but it just isn't important to him. I even hand wash his car and my mom's car just because I can't stand how dirty they are all the time.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:12 PM
Instructor

Are you one of those people who's parents have their sofa wrapped in plastic to protect it from getting dirty. You could do the same to the leather seats in the TSX !!
Old 02-23-2007, 03:16 PM
TF500

Originally Posted by inkedup
I hate that too, also when people put fingerprints on the outside glass when they close the door

I tell everybody be carefull when they are getting into the car so there shoes dont scuff the plastic on the floorboard. Plus Im always yelling at my friends when they put their keys in my cupholder or in the pocket on the passenger door because I dont want any type of scratches on the plastic.

Maybe we are anal, but I like to think that everybody else just doesnt care enough

Quick Reply: Wife is upset i'm so anal about the new TSX