Old 02-08-2005, 04:06 PM
TSX User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where can I get a NAVI badge?
Old 02-08-2005, 04:09 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Originally Posted by avenutolo
I mean, I see it all the time but I just don't get it??

I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I merely wanna know ... Seems like MUCHO work

because you drive a 325 and want everyone to think you are driving a 330
Old 02-08-2005, 04:09 PM
Banned

What i mean in lower end model is say the BMW 3-series...IN canada we have the 330, 325 and 320....
Old 02-08-2005, 04:10 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
<< Dont think its a fad but of personal preference....its not like BMW or Benz where you debadge to hide the factor you have the lower end model.... >>

But couldn't some say that WE DO, in fact, have the lower-end model. I mean, in all honesty, we do ...
What lower end TSX is there

BMW's have the 320 (Canada), 325 and 330.
Old 02-08-2005, 04:16 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wsklar
Just remember that just because you debadge doesn't mean you are driving this.....

And, I would have gotten away with it too, if not for you meddling kids!
Old 02-08-2005, 04:18 PM
Instructor

<< But couldn't some say that WE DO, in fact, have the lower-end model. I mean, in all honesty, we do ... >>

What I meant was ... the lower end ACURA
Old 02-08-2005, 04:38 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally Posted by TinkyWinky
Where can I get a NAVI badge?
You'll have to join the NAVI police first.
Old 02-08-2005, 04:56 PM
ric
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jlukja
Debadged and deplated.
and delovely. Has a nice ring to it..........
Old 02-08-2005, 04:57 PM
ric
Safety Car

Originally Posted by matelot
why do people shave their you-know-what ?
so you can wax it easier?
Old 02-08-2005, 05:02 PM
Racer

i think when cars are debaged or the badges are changed, it looks like it was in a car accident and went to a crummy auto shop who doesnt know how to put the badges back on.

then again im also not a fan of body kits, wings, graphics etc. it reminds me of that forum photo you see floating around the net titled 'attention whore'.

ive always been a stock fan. car seems to last longer, looks hold up etc. i do like rims though. unless of course people put aftermarket rims on stock tires and a stock height... then it just looks like a tyco hovercraft...

i love freedom of speech!
Old 02-08-2005, 05:02 PM
ric
Safety Car

<< If your suit has suspenders, do you still wear a belt?? >>

Actually only one person was able to pull that off in the '30s and 40s... Fred Astaire. And he looked quite dapper.
I confess I wear shoes without socks, from time to time, but never for formalwear.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:19 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrcenzo
i think when cars are debaged or the badges are changed, it looks like it was in a car accident and went to a crummy auto shop who doesnt know how to put the badges back on.

then again im also not a fan of body kits, wings, graphics etc. it reminds me of that forum photo you see floating around the net titled 'attention whore'.

ive always been a stock fan. car seems to last longer, looks hold up etc. i do like rims though. unless of course people put aftermarket rims on stock tires and a stock height... then it just looks like a tyco hovercraft...

i love freedom of speech!
Well said, sir ...
Old 02-08-2005, 05:55 PM
Hondaholic

I think a car with lots of shiny plastic badges looks like some asshole from the marketing department got a hold of it and went apeshit. Do you have a bunch of bumper stickers on your car as well?

Porsche offers you the option of taking the badges off right from the factory. Because some people think it looks better.......

Old 02-08-2005, 05:59 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by LannyM
I think a car with lots of shiny plastic badges looks like some asshole from the marketing department got a hold of it and went apeshit. Do you have a bunch of bumper stickers on your car as well?

Porsche offers you the option of taking the badges off right from the factory. Because some people think it looks better.......

its a porsche... were talking about a 4 door sedan here its also not an attack on you or whoever does debage, i was just stating my opinion. no need to sound all defensive...
Old 02-08-2005, 06:34 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
nice to see a civilized thread again.

jlukja, who ventured into the Off Topic section today.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:51 PM
Hondaholic

its a porsche... were talking about a 4 door sedan here its also not an attack on you or whoever does debage, i was just stating my opinion. no need to sound all defensive...
That's my point; you said it looks like it was in a car wreck...does the 911 also look like that?
Old 02-08-2005, 07:18 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Yes ... I DID START IT ...

I view it as the equivalent of buying a ROLEX and cracking the crystal to etch out "ROLEX" ... That's seems silly to most people, right?

I simply wanted to know WHY and I think I have a right to disagree. Sheesh.

And BTW, I love the exchange, let's just try not to insult.
I don't think in the car spectrum that Acura is really comparable to Rolex but I understand the point you are trying to make.

I guess I have this very strong feeling, as some sort of matter of principle, against herd mentality. For example, I see these people paying money to wear some clothing brand with the name emblazoned across the front, and it just seems so absurd to me. It's like people are so insecure that they feel they MUST associate themselves with something, anything, so they can feel like they belong. Various fashion designers, team apparel, etc, it all seems really strange to me. Aside from the free t-shirts I wear when working out, I don't think I wear a single piece of clothing with any type of label. I've actually "debadged" a couple shirts because I liked them but didn't want to wear the label.

And for me, it's the same thing with cars. The label isn't necessarily as prevalent as with alot of clothes, but it's principally the same to me. I didn't buy an Acura so people can look at me and say wow he drives an Acura, and if you bought yours for that reason, I guess I feel sorry for you. I bought it because I think it's a great car for the money. Whether or not people know what it is or think I'm a better person because of it, I couldn't give a shit. To say that I don't want to feel like some corporate monkeyboy is overstating the prevalance of the badge relative to the overall car, but it is generally why I don't think debadging is stupid or a fad.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:25 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
That reminds of this gripe I have, what about this avenutolo:

How much badging is too much? Seems like sometime in the early to mid 90s, around the time GM started putting ABS in many of their cars, they also started putting these "ABS" badges on the cars. Man these things drive me nuts. Now we're just listing some of the car's options on the car? The center cap of the stock alloy wheel on a Firebird says ABS on it?!?! Why did they decide to stop with ABS? Why not a little badge in the front grill that says "Power Windows"? Or how about one on the doors that says "Cruise Control"? I guess it's things such as these that helped shape my anti-badge sentiments.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:32 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally Posted by scheißterhöffer
That reminds of this gripe I have, what about this avenutolo:

How much badging is too much? Seems like sometime in the early to mid 90s, around the time GM started putting ABS in many of their cars, they also started putting these "ABS" badges on the cars. Man these things drive me nuts. Now we're just listing some of the car's options on the car? The center cap of the stock alloy wheel on a Firebird says ABS on it?!?! Why did they decide to stop with ABS? Why not a little badge in the front grill that says "Power Windows"? Or how about one on the doors that says "Cruise Control"? I guess it's things such as these that helped shape my anti-badge sentiments.
Maybe we can all get a badge that says "Not an Ashtray" for the back of our trunks. I hear they have that on the Euro Accord.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:37 PM
Instructor

That's just it ... The Acura DOESN'T have that many badges and to take them off, in MY OPINION only, just seems odd.

The "MARKETING DEPT." at Acura doesn't go nuts as some poeple here have stated. We're talking about three or four tiny chrome emblems
Old 02-08-2005, 09:08 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

It's just all I hear about is debadging ... It just seems silly and fad-ish is all I'm trying to say.

I mean, take those great Mustangs of the '60s or the retro Thinderbirds of the '50s or hell even Corevttes ... You don't see people ripping the nameplates off do you?
Yes, liek they engraved MUSTANG in giant letters into the bumper of the last gen Mustang
Old 02-08-2005, 09:13 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by pcdawg
I debadged mine.....why? Cuz it make the back look cleaner and more symetrical. (Mirror image of car if split in half)
i love symmetry.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:26 PM
Banned

Well Sorry but this is gonna be a long post....

The History of Debadging starts in the 1920's Bootleggers, They would Shave all the badges off Black Souped up Cars, so it was harder to Identify for the police, This is where Shaving Badges, Door handles, ect off comes from originally, Secondly it does make alot of cars cleaner, There are Some Cars, in which the Door Handles, Badges, and other trim peices dont flow w/ the Lines on the Car, Take this 01 Mustang Bullitt For Example:

W/ out door handles / badges...It runs a much smother cleaner look, not to mention that the Bullitt allready came w/ Shaved Side scoops/C Pillars out of the factory...

The Shaved Trend also Came back, after the bootleggers w/ the Street Racer's once again So Cops couldnt Identify the car as easy (Esp w/ Body Kits and Such), Then It caught on Asteticly and spread througout Car Enthusiasts....

Another Popular Reason to Shave Emblems is so the other guy dosent know what you have, Ex: The 70's Mach 1's w/ the 426 Hemi Engines, people would shave them, so they looked like a regular mach 1, to create a kinda sleeper Effect...

It's just all I hear about is debadging ... It just seems silly and fad-ish is all I'm trying to say.

I mean, take those great Mustangs of the '60s or the retro Thinderbirds of the '50s or hell even Corevttes ... You don't see people ripping the nameplates off do you?
it
Let me show you Possibly the Most Famous 1968 Ford Mustang, the Bullitt Mustang, Steve McQueen Shaved this car totally, Removed all Badges, Removed the Grill/ Foglights, Removed the Rear Back up lights, Removed all the Chrome Trim on the Side of the car, and its absolutly georgous...

In this pic please note:
1. The Blacked out grill, Center Mustang Emblem and Fog Lights removed Completly
2. M U S T A N G Badges Removed From hood
3. Side Scoop Chrome Trim Removed

In this pic please note:
1. Again the M U S T A N G Lettering has been removed
2. the Rear Foglights have Been Removed
3. The Rear "GT" Emblems on the Gas Tank Has Been Painted Over
4. The Rocker Pannel/ Taillight Housing have also been repainted Either Highland Green or Black

Once again, Side Skirt, Side Scoop and GT Badges have been shaved...

Stock 1968 Ford Mustang GT 390 Fastback
Old 02-08-2005, 10:33 PM
Banned

More Stock Angles

And Edit to the first post: Reverse Lights have been removed...68 Mustangs do not Have Rear Foglights...

And The First Pic is a Replica, The Car in the movie also had the Mirror Replaced w/ a smaller round one, however this is not extremly functional, so most people either use the Rectangular one, or Put two Mirrors on the Car
Old 02-09-2005, 12:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jiggaman
why do people pierce their nipples?
fuckin great. lol

i debadged my car for something to do, in actualyl thats why i do about everything i do, because i can. im not serious in many manners.

i do like the clean, syemtrical look from behind angles now. i dont like dumbasses asking if its a 4 doors RSX, thats the downside.

from other peoples views, in europe many people debadge there fast car models so that cops cant just pick them out of a crowd for dirty tickets, which happens.

somepeople buy shit ass BMW's and have small penises (id guess) so they Rebadge with m3's all around there cars.

TSX Cman
Old 02-09-2005, 12:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Old 02-09-2005, 01:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
That's just it ... The Acura DOESN'T have that many badges and to take them off, in MY OPINION only, just seems odd.

The "MARKETING DEPT." at Acura doesn't go nuts as some poeple here have stated. We're talking about three or four tiny chrome emblems
You don't like debadged cars. We get it already. Personally, I actually agree with you. I prefer to leave the badges on. But, is there any point to belabor this issue?

It's about as silly as asking why would anyone in their right mind spend $30K on a 4 cylinder car?

PERSONAL PREFERENCE 'nuff said.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX69
So why did you only remove the "TSX", why not also the Acura Emblem? The few people I know who has done it removed everything ....
Because if you do the "A" emblem .. you'll have to plug the two hole some how. The only way i could think of is weld it shut .. then bondo it .. then paint it .. tha'ts just too much trouble. I did this on my integra .. super clean and nice. parking officer didnt know what kind of car it is .. haha just knew it was a Honda due to the vin number.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
and to clarify .. the word "clean" is being used to descrip simple yet beautiful. not clean as in not dirty clean.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:35 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
You don't like debadged cars. We get it already. Personally, I actually agree with you. I prefer to leave the badges on. But, is there any point to belabor this issue?

It's about as silly as asking why would anyone in their right mind spend $30K on a 4 cylinder car?

Yo man ... I'm not "belaboring" anything. I'm just merely responding to what people like you say.

Isn't that the point of these boards? Healthy debate? Stimulating thought? Different opinions?

Looks like someone doesn't exactly understand the notion of the democratic process.

OK ... let's all go back to talkin' about rims and tint if you'd like ...
Old 02-09-2005, 09:39 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MemRheins
Well Sorry but this is gonna be a long post....

The History of Debadging starts in the 1920's Bootleggers, They would Shave all the badges off Black Souped up Cars, so it was harder to Identify for the police, This is where Shaving Badges, Door handles, ect off comes from originally, Secondly it does make alot of cars cleaner, There are Some Cars, in which the Door Handles, Badges, and other trim peices dont flow w/ the Lines on the Car, Take this 01 Mustang Bullitt For Example:

W/ out door handles / badges...It runs a much smother cleaner look, not to mention that the Bullitt allready came w/ Shaved Side scoops/C Pillars out of the factory...

The Shaved Trend also Came back, after the bootleggers w/ the Street Racer's once again So Cops couldnt Identify the car as easy (Esp w/ Body Kits and Such), Then It caught on Asteticly and spread througout Car Enthusiasts....

Another Popular Reason to Shave Emblems is so the other guy dosent know what you have, Ex: The 70's Mach 1's w/ the 426 Hemi Engines, people would shave them, so they looked like a regular mach 1, to create a kinda sleeper Effect...

Let me show you Possibly the Most Famous 1968 Ford Mustang, the Bullitt Mustang, Steve McQueen Shaved this car totally, Removed all Badges, Removed the Grill/ Foglights, Removed the Rear Back up lights, Removed all the Chrome Trim on the Side of the car, and its absolutly georgous...

In this pic please note:
1. The Blacked out grill, Center Mustang Emblem and Fog Lights removed Completly
2. M U S T A N G Badges Removed From hood
3. Side Scoop Chrome Trim Removed

In this pic please note:
1. Again the M U S T A N G Lettering has been removed
2. the Rear Foglights have Been Removed
3. The Rear "GT" Emblems on the Gas Tank Has Been Painted Over
4. The Rocker Pannel/ Taillight Housing have also been repainted Either Highland Green or Black

Once again, Side Skirt, Side Scoop and GT Badges have been shaved...

Stock 1968 Ford Mustang GT 390 Fastback
Mem ... I stand corrected about the Mustangs. Great job on the research and I actually didn't know that about the bootleggers but it makes tons of sense. At least in asking my question you sorta gave me a history as to where the practice originated. Thanks...
Old 02-09-2005, 09:58 AM
Banned

Mem ... I stand corrected about the Mustangs. Great job on the research and I actually didn't know that about the bootleggers but it makes tons of sense. At least in asking my question you sorta gave me a history as to where the practice originated. Thanks...

No Problem
Old 02-09-2005, 10:33 AM
Banned

i'm going to debadge "ACURA"
Old 02-09-2005, 11:02 AM
TSX User

Originally Posted by TSX Cman
Looks sharp, man. Now I wanna debagde my TSX.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:32 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by AlterZgo

AMEN!
Old 02-09-2005, 11:35 AM
Mr. Karma

I can see the reasoning in debadging your car, and as numerous others have said, it's all personal preference. To me, it makes the car look totally generic. I'm not big on the "clean" thing personally. It doesn't disgust me or anything, just something I wouldn't do. Seems like the work (however little it may be) would be wasted to have people ask if it's a 4-door RSX. LOL. Unless of course you consider that a debadging success that people have no clue what it is.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:39 AM
Banned

I dont really tihnk debadging is an issue...many like the clean look...but you can bring up the point if someone debadges and re-badge it as something else....

Like cars i seen as Civic Type Rs.....or re-badge as models you cant get here...but each and their own.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:42 AM
Instructor

So .... what kinda tint you guys have?????? Let's talk about THAT next and berate people who don't tint
Old 02-09-2005, 11:47 AM
Banned

LOL....why dont you start the new thread then :P

As for tint...im wanting to go with the light blue tint.....50%or perhaps 35% no joke
Old 02-09-2005, 03:58 PM
Burning Brakes

oh pcdawg, terrible decision
haah just kidding of course, thought id keep up tension.
one thing id like to add aboutt he 4 door rsx thing, is when i had my badge on anyways, people read TSX, but they just know RSX's more and there brain just doesnt read the T in TSX.
i do like driving with my car freshly clean, and seeing poeple checking my car out trying to figure out what it is that looks so damn good

Quick Reply: why do people debadge??