Why all the mods?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 01:55 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why all the mods?

Just curious really....

Why do some people peform mod after mod after mod. Sometimes, by the time they're finished their cars look horrible! To each his own, but I was wandering the reasons why you or someone you know do it. Is it an attempt to be different?
Old 07-02-2005, 01:58 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't have any mods, and have been wondering the same thing.
Old 07-02-2005, 02:01 PM
Advanced

I'm not really talking about some of the performance mods, or even a small mod or two, but you know.....the extremes.

There was one post somewhere (can't remember where I saw it). A guy was wanting people to convince him why getting Navi would be smarter than to spend that money on new rims!
Old 07-02-2005, 02:14 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its an additiction, a phase most car enthusiasts go through. I did when I was real young, but you grow up/out of it. Now I think about what I will get from a mod, and if its worth it to me I do it. Also I've learned to NEVER buy mods on a credit card, if you can't pay cash, you can't afford it!

As it stands now I have a comptech rear sway bar, and that's it. Thinking about getting Hondata and a header, but chances of that are slim.

Though I do agree its very easy to over due a car, in particular something with the clean simple lines of the TSX.
Old 07-02-2005, 02:28 PM
Advanced

How's the sway bar? I don't know much about it. Performance mods are easy to understand....even swapping your factory sound for better sounding aftermarket speakers and such.....is easy to understand.

What I don't get is the thinking behind adding those neon lights under cars, jacking up the rear end with HUGE tires, taking off the Acura symbols and putting a Honda symbol, those spinning rims, lowering the car so much that you can barely drive it, etc.....

Is thinking behind the people that go to the extreme:

1) Trying to creat envy for their car
2) Just trying to be different
3) Looking for attention
4) Project an appearance that they "money to burn"
5) all the above
6) None of the above
Old 07-02-2005, 02:41 PM
Drifting

things spin off from the show car world, etc. Neons started when show cars had them to "show" off their engines, interiors, etc. There is a difference between tastefully modding ur car and not. And im sorry to say ricers give a bad rap to anyone that has work done to their car. You can get a sporty sounding exhaust, intake, lower ur car, sway and strut bars, better tires and rims, etc., to make your car drive great and be fun, but the line has to be drawn. I cant stand the big fart tubes, heinous body kits, and the likes of all that. It is possible to tastefully make your car sporty and fun, without being obnoxious. I agree that i don't understand why people take the Acura badges off and replace them with Honda-Acura is the luxury brand of Honda-why would u want to make your car seem cheaper than it is?
Old 07-02-2005, 03:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Well I got OEM kit and M3 spoiler already
I like the look so it's a good investment for me

Later probably get a 1.5 drop Tein basic or Tanabe(i donno if that's performance mod to you or not)

Maybe a set of 18lb wheel

last Hondata reflash

If someone got the raven kit for TSX they probably think it looks good.
Why would they put it on if they don't think it's good.
If they drop the car 3inch to the ground......it's certainly a performance gain in track obviously they do it in Nascar.
I don't even know what this thread is about...
Old 07-02-2005, 04:09 PM
Delta Sigma Pi

Well its like an art. To each his/her own masterpiece but I just love working on cars.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:59 PM
Banned

extremes = OCD
Old 07-02-2005, 11:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fuzzynoise
Is thinking behind the people that go to the extreme:

1) Trying to creat envy for their car
3) Looking for attention
5) all the above
6) None of the above
For myself, it's 6) none of the above. Why is it that your choices all revolve around vanity? I don't know why you have issues w/ other people doing things to their own property.

The ONE reason why I've spent about $4500 in rims/tires, suspension, and stereo equipment is because I like the way my car looks modded and I like the way my car sounds and I like the way it handles w/ my springs/shocks/sway bar/camber kit. I couldn't care less what others think about how it looks and if I wanted others to envy me or to get attention, I wouldn't have bought a TSX. I would've bought a BMW or Mercedes or Lexus or a used NSX or something along those lines.

Frankly, I think a TSX is a very poor platform to start modding from if the object is 1-5 in your list b/c no one really thinks much of the TSX, or Acura for that matter, from a prestige or high-end brand perspective.
Old 07-03-2005, 12:10 AM
Advanced

I didn't say I have a problem with folks who go with mod after mod after mod. I could care less how much someone spends on rims or neon lights or custom paint jobs....just trying to know what the thinking is.........

Sorry if the question offended you.
Old 07-03-2005, 12:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
For myself, it's 6) I don't know why you have issues w/ other people doing things to their own property.....

you have a very bizarre way of reading things :shakehead
Old 07-03-2005, 01:02 AM
Racer

For me its personalization. I come from a designer background (architect), and I worked extensively in the aftermarket industry for about 20 years from retail, installation, to regional rep. So that makes it very difficult for me to leave things alone and stock.

I believe every stock car is a blank canvas. Some people prefer the standard canvas, others prefer a little alterations and personalization. Others prefer dramatic flair and extreme changes.

I prefer subtle enhancements. For me, mods are a process of sculpting and carving a work of art. I can invision what I want and prefer, the fun and enjoyment is creating what I want step by step. Standing back each step to appreciate that phase before moving onto the next. Sometimes its a slow process, sometimes its a very fast process. However I prefer to do them on my own, unless there are tools or technical expertise that I do not know.
Old 07-03-2005, 02:52 AM
Instructor

Some people really go overboard in modifying their cars. Too much isn't always a good thing. For a TSX, a few minor modifications would make the car really good:
1.) lip spoiler
2.) OEM body kit
3.) A set of appropriate 17 or 18 inch rims
4.) Lowering springs
Old 07-03-2005, 08:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

lowering the car so much that you can barely drive it, etc.....
I think if the drop is done tastefully like AlterZgo's car and others and is not slammed...it looks very classy. If you look at Mercedes and BMW's, the majority of their cars come with little to no wheel gap. IMO, the wheel gap on my car is very unattractive!
Old 07-03-2005, 03:02 PM
Teh seX

with our cars it seems that you have to slam it to have no wheel gap..
Old 07-03-2005, 03:14 PM
Burning Brakes

^^^^yep
Honda's car came with SUV height...god knows why

I just don't understand...what are you trying to understand
if they put neon light...they must think it looks good.
Who would put some ugly ass shit to just impress people.......and if they are ugly why would people be impressed?

All i know is your stock car won't get placed in car show
Old 07-03-2005, 03:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by caz1604
I think if the drop is done tastefully like AlterZgo's car and others and is not slammed...it looks very classy. If you look at Mercedes and BMW's, the majority of their cars come with little to no wheel gap. IMO, the wheel gap on my car is very unattractive!
^^^^yep
Honda's car came with SUV height...god knows why

I just don't understand...what are you trying to understand
if they put neon light...they must think it looks good.
Who would put some ugly ass shit to just impress people.......and if they are ugly why would people be impressed?

All i know is your stock car won't get placed in car show
Old 07-03-2005, 03:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BlackTSXer
with our cars it seems that you have to slam it to have no wheel gap..

only if you in some nice road......haha

i'd only drop my to 1.6 the most......road too harsh in AUstin
Old 07-03-2005, 05:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by matelot
you have a very bizarre way of reading things :shakehead
Talk about bizarre way of reading things. You completely misquoted me.

I think I qualified why I had my perception. The reason is b/c practically every choice he gave revolved around a person's vanity. Why didn't he give the most obvious choice, ie. my actual #6 which is, "Because I like the way my car looks/sounds/handles/accelerates with the mods." I found it very odd that the choices had nothing to do with personal likes and everything to do w/ trying to impress others or make them envious or give the impression of being rich, etc.

It's like asking:

Why did you buy a nice house? Is it because:

1) Trying to creat envy for their house
3) Looking for attention
5) all the above
6) None of the above

Do you see how lame the question sounds now when it misses other obvious and less offensive choices?
Old 07-03-2005, 06:25 PM
Luke 1:37

Just curious really....

Why do some people peform mod after mod after mod. Sometimes, by the time they're finished their cars look horrible! To each his own, but I was wandering the reasons why you or someone you know do it. Is it an attempt to be different?
Ummm.....I think my taste in the mods I've put in make my car look much, much better than stock. But obviously everyone has their own opinions. Adding modifications also help you learn about your car.

Oh, my reason was that I like my car to be unique. Stock is just blah to me unless you're driving a rare car.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:59 PM
Advanced

I'm sure some people do buy a big house to create an impression of wealth.

Sounds like I touched a nerve. Sorry if I offended you.

By the way, in general, Americans are VERY vain about their cars and homes.

Which leads me to another question, what's the thinking of people who live in a $35,000 house but drive a $55,000 car?
Old 07-03-2005, 11:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Which leads me to another question, what's the thinking of people who live in a $35,000 house but drive a $55,000 car?
maybe they got the car from Pimp my ride people

don't even know you can buy a house for 35,000?...

is this guy on crack?
Old 07-04-2005, 10:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Absolutely correct. I have no issues w/ the choices you gave. I have an issue w/ the fact that those were the only choices and you completely ignored other obvious factors such as personal preference, driving enjoyment, etc.

I'm still waiting for your response on why you didn't include these obvious choices.

This last post clearly shows that you think most people mod their cars b/c of their own vainty. Sorry if this offends you.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:32 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,791 Likes on 2,555 Posts
Originally Posted by AlterZgo
Absolutely correct. I have no issues w/ the choices you gave. I have an issue w/ the fact that those were the only choices and you completely ignored other obvious factors such as personal preference, driving enjoyment, etc.

I'm still waiting for your response on why you didn't include these obvious choices.

This last post clearly shows that you think most people mod their cars b/c of their own vainty. Sorry if this offends you.
I agree do you not think people do it for there own enjoyment and personal taste. I have moded my car alot cause I want it to look different. I have only done things to it that I like not what other people may want me to do or if I want to do something and someone says it will look bad I take there comment and think over why but still base the decision on my thoughts.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:04 PM
Advanced

Geeesh, if there's another choice then add it....

Try reading my original post again. I said performance mods are easily understandable (which would lead to driving enjoyment). What I'm curious about is why some people go to (with what I consider) as extreme?

In another post on another thread you were talking about some sort of rims and how you mentioned that you like one set because they weren't as popular as the others....which leads me to believe you do the mods to be a little different than anyone else. Is that true? How did you get the choice...."just trying to be different" as vain? So do you do the mods because you like to be different than everyone else? If that's true, then just say it. Nothing wrong with that. I'm not here looking to give "my approval" and any mods. I could care less what you do to your car....my opinion shouldn't matter. I was just wandering the thinking behind it....simple question.

By the way, in general, most people are vain period....including myself. Geesh, I'd rather be seen in an Acura than an old beat up Ford Pinto (I would think most people feel the same way, but few would admit it)....but that's only part of the equation.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:35 PM
Banned

Try reading my original post again. I said performance mods are easily understandable (which would lead to driving enjoyment). What I'm curious about is why some people go to (with what I consider) as extreme?

In another post on another thread you were talking about some sort of rims and how you mentioned that you like one set because they weren't as popular as the others....which leads me to believe you do the mods to be a little different than anyone else. Is that true? How did you get the choice...."just trying to be different" as vain? So do you do the mods because you like to be different than everyone else? If that's true, then just say it. Nothing wrong with that. I'm not here looking to give "my approval" and any mods. I could care less what you do to your car....my opinion shouldn't matter. I was just wandering the thinking behind it....simple question.

By the way, in general, most people are vain period....including myself. Geesh, I'd rather be seen in an Acura than an old beat up Ford Pinto (I would think most people feel the same way, but few would admit it)....but that's only part of the equation.

"I just want it to be different..." == "vainity", IMO
Old 07-04-2005, 12:37 PM
Advanced

Lol!
Old 07-04-2005, 02:33 PM
Burning Brakes

I won't be a dead horse.

As for my choosing something different, it goes to personal preference. When I see the same thing over and over again, it loses its appeal to me. Therefore, I don't want to have that particular item. I choose something else that I like better.

If you're really "wandering" why people fix up their cars, why can't you accept the fact that many people actually do so because of their own personal preferences?

Old 07-04-2005, 05:06 PM
Advanced

What gave you the impression that I can't accept the fact that people have personal preferences?

It seems that you fail to realize my basic question. Most personal preferences are the result of one or more specific reasons. With you, you state personal preferences, but the REASON for that personal preference is because you want something a "little different". So call it like it is; You like to have the mods because you like to have something (or be) a different.

Wow you tend to get pretty defensive pretty quick.
Old 07-04-2005, 08:58 PM
Goldmember

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess it goes back to good old "utilility, or use value" in economics. Different people get different amount of jollies from different things. Gambling addicts get a lot of utility from gambling, crack addicts get a lot of utility from another fix, and some people get their fix from modding. I've seen some ridiculous modding as far as money value goes but I don't think people who are modding upwards of $4000+ care about the value of their mods.

I do take issue with people calling their mods an "investment." Investments have an "expected value" of an increase in value. I don't think ANY modding increases the value of the car. You're lucky if you get half, if any, of the cost of the mod back out on sale. And dealers will take negative value for it.

I guess I understand performance mods, and even exterior styling mods. But what's up with the whale tail wing, multicolored paint job, neon flashing, spinning flywheel rims, 5% tint, 10 different stickers, painted flames, etc to make it look like a car out of Fast and the Furious? That and what's with wearing pants around your ass crack level with boxer's hanging out? And FUBU?
Old 07-04-2005, 09:27 PM
Advanced

LOL! Crack me up...

Yep, in very rare (and very classic) cases, an automobile can be an investment. It's not an investment....It's an expensive (speaking completely about the economics). I guess it could be considered an investment if it makes you happy....an investment in your happiness or an investment in your driving experience.....but pure dollar wise....NOT an investment at all.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:34 PM
Ayumi Hamasaki

Test, sorry please delete.