Who's Done Their own Oil Change?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 07:06 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not what I was looking for, but check this out.

http://www.webs4racers.com/bmw/oil/
Old 11-25-2004, 10:45 AM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
Originally Posted by danotto
Not what I was looking for, but check this out.

http://www.webs4racers.com/bmw/oil/
This will be the thing to use as more and more cars have so much plastic underbody that a topside oil replacement is the way to go. That is if you can also get to the oil filter from the top of the car. Sure beats crawling under the car.

Old 11-25-2004, 11:24 AM
Pro

last weekend when i install black heater, i realize wht JTso said about location of oil filter, you can access it easily from wheel area. but for me, i can reach the filter from top. too bad the area is too small for me to take a good pic.
Old 11-25-2004, 12:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Damn gogozy, if you can remove the filter from the top, then you have some fine skills!
Old 11-25-2004, 12:13 PM
Pro

not dare to show off in front of Mod Addict...
i am sure you can too, but you need a oil filter cap type of wrench. but i will try get it out from wheel, maybe it's easier.
Old 11-25-2004, 12:15 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by JTso
Damn gogozy, if you can remove the filter from the top, then you have some fine skills!

now that is outstanding... sorry i can't do it...
Old 02-06-2005, 04:21 PM
STi'd

Bringing this post up back from the dead!

Just did my third oil change (2nd one on my own) at 16k with Mobil 1 5w30 full synthetic and Fram DoubleGuard filter. This time I held a freezer bag around the old filter when I unscrewed it slowly. All the residual oil ended up in the bag and none whatsoever leaked on to the car. Also, absolutely recommend changing the crush washer if you're not using the Fram SureDrain, as the last time I didn't have one and put the old washer back on. Oil was leaking from the pan bolt and also leaked on to the underbody rubber pan.

I ended up using 5.50qts of oil to get the oil level into the "normal" operating parameters on the dipstick even after running the engine. For anyone who cares, I change oil every 6k miles and it was dirty as hell.
Old 10-08-2005, 06:07 PM
Racer

just curious, is the Acura oil filter the best? i've always used Fram on my honda civic...but recently found out Fram uses plastic clips in their oil filter...and that there were cases when this "clip" broke and got sucked into the motor....
Old 10-08-2005, 11:41 PM
Instructor

Here's a link on oil filters

I use K&N, cheap with free ship at AJUSA. Otherwise Mobil 1 filter
is said to be the same except I like the 1" nut end on the K&N for
removal.

I have some Denso been using on my other hondas, the acura gets K&N.

Forget the mobil 1, for a little more you can do Amsoil series 2000, get 2 more mpg and performance. Of course if you use all the performance will loose
some of the mpg.

I'm at 5.5 k miles on the Amsoil, it's just darkening now and still transparent on the dipstick. It was still amber at 4 k miles. This is my first time on amsoil,
I'll probably stop at 8 k miles. I'm may do conventional again just to
confirm my gas mileage results and use up some oil on the shelf, then
back to amsoil.

Mobil 1 was always opaque black for me by 4 to 4.5 k miles and no
measureable benefit except longer life which I never tried since it
turned black so quickly.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:51 PM
Instructor

sorry forgot the link

http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study/

Originally Posted by TSXTuner
I use K&N, cheap with free ship at AJUSA. Otherwise Mobil 1 filter
is said to be the same except I like the 1" nut end on the K&N for
removal.

I have some Denso been using on my other hondas, the acura gets K&N.

Forget the mobil 1, for a little more you can do Amsoil series 2000, get 2 more mpg and performance. Of course if you use all the performance will loose
some of the mpg.

I'm at 5.5 k miles on the Amsoil, it's just darkening now and still transparent on the dipstick. It was still amber at 4 k miles. This is my first time on amsoil,
I'll probably stop at 8 k miles. I'm may do conventional again just to
confirm my gas mileage results and use up some oil on the shelf, then
back to amsoil.

Mobil 1 was always opaque black for me by 4 to 4.5 k miles and no
measureable benefit except longer life which I never tried since it
turned black so quickly.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:43 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FYI: If you want a cheap alternative to the Mobil-1 M1-110 filter (~13$) use the Bosch 3323 filter (~6$) , they're both made by Champion Labs and are very similar in quality.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:06 AM
Super Noob

Ok.... so my parents come home tonite and tell me never to change my oil again cuz they heard from someone that a person they know had her son die doing an oil change. So now I'm debating on whether or not to just go against their will and do my own oil changes anyways. just wanted to know what you all think about this. And what kind of equipment is the safest. I have two choices, the rhino ramps that have been mentioned before and the good ol' jack and jack stand.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:30 PM
iVTEC no koe

I've always done my own changes (for about 9 yrs). For safety, I put those triangle-block things on the rear tires so it doesn't roll backwards. I jack it up at the centre-front jack point and then I use 2 jack stands on the front driver and passenger points. While it's not fail-safe, it's pretty damn safe.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think if you use either the Rhino ramps or the jack stands you'll be fine.

I just did my 1st oil change in my TSX at 10,000 miles. I think I'm the only one on this forum who followed mfg's recommendation and waited until 10K miles.

Anyway, as with all Hondas/Acuras, it's a PITA to do an oil change on these cars b/c of how the oil filter is situated. To top it off, probably b/c I waited for 10K miles, that oil filter was on ridiculously tight. While I was able to reach down from top and grab the filter, it absolutely wouldn't budge w/ the regular oil filter wrenches. I finally got it off by taking the front pass side wheel off and using a big oil filter plier. Even then, I had to grip the filter so hard that I crushed it before I could get a good enough grip to turn the filter.

It's a good thing I won't have to change my oil/filter for another 10,000 miles.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:50 PM
Instructor

I was working under a car in an old garage. The concrete floor broke away,
I was not deep under the front end and rolled out just in time.

The concrete was thin and substrate below settled away.

Can't be too careful.

Originally Posted by jjkim325
Ok.... so my parents come home tonite and tell me never to change my oil again cuz they heard from someone that a person they know had her son die doing an oil change. So now I'm debating on whether or not to just go against their will and do my own oil changes anyways. just wanted to know what you all think about this. And what kind of equipment is the safest. I have two choices, the rhino ramps that have been mentioned before and the good ol' jack and jack stand.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:35 PM
iVTEC no koe

Can't be too careful.
Damn, that's fubar. Hopefully, whatever is under my driveway, it's solid.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:44 PM
Super Noob

Can't be too careful.
Woah.... ok... well, I guess moral of the lesson is, dont go under ur car in old garages? heh. All in all, I'm still going to do my own oil changes, just make sure I do it with a friend so my mom doesnt freak out. Then at least we can watch each other's backs. For those of you who have done oil chages for a while, do you think a ramp is safer? I figure it would be since there's less of a cahnce of parts buckling under pressure, and I'm pretty sure those rhino ramps are made of plastic that's at least as tough as steel if not tougher.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:58 PM
Intermediate

The filter is on the back on the engine kinda had to get to. You need to stretch across the engine placing your chest on top of the valve cover and try to relax. Reach down and get the oil filter loose. You may need an oil filter wrench.

Next I take a plastic or paper cup and stuff a few paper towels in it letting them hang out of the top. Place this over the oil filter and start unscrewing it as quick as you can. The paper towel will help catch oil drops. You have to work it to the drivers side to get it past the sway bar. Don't over tighten (just do it by hand) the new filter and next time will be easier.

The plug part it no big deal just have to remove a plastic cover to get at it. You are going to make a little mess but I can chang my oil in 10 minutes just like the quick oil change places do for a lot less.

And, I might add, using a quality oil filter. I made the dealer throw in 10 honda oil filters on my deal. Now I wished I had asked for 20.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:57 AM
Race Director

I want to take my car in for an OIL change , but not to my dealership, whats the standard OIL the TSX uses?
Old 10-21-2005, 10:24 AM
Polar Chicken

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another update, I just talked to 4 different auto parts stores and the Fram Sure Fill system was pulled due to the number of failures,..

If you own this system, you have been warned.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:26 AM
Polar Chicken

Walmart

Originally Posted by RMATIC09
I want to take my car in for an OIL change , but not to my dealership, whats the standard OIL the TSX uses?

the best place to go is Walmart as they use Mobile Syntec 5-30 and will do a change for $30, considering that the oil alone is about $21 + Filter, its a pretty good deal. I would bring you own filter however as they use fram filters wich are very low quality. If you do a search there are several reviews of filters. But the Mobile1 filter for $10 is one of the best on the market.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:05 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Others have covered most of the oil change hints already. My brother uses one of those oil extractors and appearently he thinks it works well. If you can get the filter from top or through the wheel well, then there's no need to jack the car... remove the drain plug, change the washer etc... that would save major time and effort.

A few more tips... always pour some oil into the new filter before you put it on. The filter will soak up the oil, it won't spill when you go to screw it on the car. This will allow new oil to flow faster to the moving parts of the engine without having to fill up the filter first.

I also take my finger and dip it in the oil and rub it around the rubber gasket on the filter. Makes for a leak free fit and easier to take off next time.

When tightening the filter, I put it on hand tight until I can't turn it anymore, then back it off a 1/4 turn. It won't come off and will be easier to take off next time

The factory puts the filter on too tight. If needed you can run a screwdriver through the filter to make a lever to get it loose. I'm not sure if there is room on this car to do that, but if you don't have a filter wrench it will do.

To help the oil drain faster, remove the oil cap and pull out the dip stick.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:45 PM
TSX: Boeing Dreamliner!

Agreed with Rocketman. Make sure you use the old oil to lubricate the filter gasket, it will seal better. Also, don't be alarmed when you restart the engine and the oil pressure light stays on for 2 seconds rather than about half that - puting the new oil in the new filter will minimze the relatively dry start. I use the Honda filters as I find they flow better. I find the Fram filters as fine but they tend to be overly restrictive and flow a little worse (based on years of changing oil in my cars)....by they way, I have the 2 free changes but I dread going to the dealer to have them touch my car....they always overfill and I'll bet they stick 5/20 in it since all the Acura's take it.

For those guys who put 0W20, do you find the car burns it more because of the thinner characteristics of the oil?
Old 10-27-2005, 08:45 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

I don't know about having WalMart change your oil. The oil is $24 (Mobil 1), the filter is $5-6, I don't think I want some kid changing my oil for a buck. The time you spend taking the car in, waiting around, and then checking to make sure they didn't overfill/underfill/forget the cap/etc. is about what it takes to do yourself.

You can reach the filter from underneath or overtop, the first time it will be very tight. I recommend Mobil 1 Syn and Mobil or Bosch filter.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:09 PM
Instructor

I use Rhino rams. For the most part they work pretty well. I could use a little more space, but you get use to it. If you plan to change your own oil, I recommend a good filter wrench. The best one is what Handa sells. The cheapest price I saw was on http://www.handa-accessories.com/. Don't get the after market one that they sell. I have it. It fits the filter well, but it comes off the filter wrench. You can also buy a cheap filter wrench at autozone. It is black in color. It will fit the filter wrench, but it does spin off the filter sometimes. I stopped using the Sure drain.
It was leaking oil.
The following users liked this post:
Artbuc (02-17-2012)
Old 10-28-2005, 03:33 PM
Super Noob

Originally Posted by peterjedi
I stopped using the Sure drain.
It was leaking oil.
yeah... I've been having the same problem with the sure drain. I put it in the last time I did my oil change but I'm getting oil on my garage floor. Not a lot, but enough. my oil level is on the high side so I just left it alone since I'll prob change my oil again in a month or 2. Just wondering if anyone has fixed this problem with the suredrain. I kinda like it and dont want to remove it without at least getting my money's worth of use out of it for a lil while.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:19 AM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
This whole "change your own oil" frenzy presupposes you've got not only the tools, but also the space for such a project.

I've spent more time under the hood of a car at 24 than most people spend in a lifetime, but I've never found changing my own oil to to be a real "killer bargain". Getting the oil changed is just such a cheap maintenence routine that its not really worth your hassle unless you have a special fetish for trying to dispose of used oil in an EPA friendly way.

I like to buy the oil and filter, and pay my favorite lube shack the $20 measly bucks to do the labor for me. Even if I buy top quality 100% sythetic, and an OEM filter...both of which I think are cheap insurance...Its about $50 out the door and only have to do it twice a year.

Compare to $40 for a stealership oil change using cheap dino oil, thats not bad.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:03 PM
UK Accord Type-S

Question

Just a question for all of you across the pond :-).

What mileage are you all doing before you change your oil?? I have read some scarey figures as low as 2000miles when you change oil......Do you really think that is necessary??

In UK we don't change the oil till 12,5K miles and to be honest if you put in a good modern synthetic that would be more than sufficient (sure back in the old days of mineral oils you may need to change earlier). I'm just wondering if it's a culture thing or maybe influence from oil companies?? because in the UK if you think about it our cars go through a hell of a battering with having to cope with the huge changes in weather conditions, rust etc.

It just scare me how much oil is being disposed of if many of you do changes at 2000 miles.

Just interested to hear your thoughts.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:07 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I have been using Mobil 1 supersyn since the 1st oil change. I do mine at 5,000 to 7,500 miles. I know I could go 10,000 if I wanted.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:20 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my last oil change was 7,300 miles - about half way in between that i flipped the WIX oil filter
Old 12-14-2006, 01:44 PM
Racer

Hey I have the suredrain on my 02 CRV for atleast 2-3 years now. And I dont have any leaks on it ever. But I will be checking though. And on my 04 TSX, I do my own changes and I change it every 5000 miles using mobile 1 syn 5w30 with mobile 1 oil filter.

But the only thing I hate is the bottom plastic gaurd on the car. I just took the whole damn thing out when I changed my transmission oil. Have anyone of you taken the peice out? I also hate that extra step when changing my oil taking out that little cover as well. So I just shit can that thing.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:31 PM
Instructor

I agree about the plastic shield. The only good thing about is it catches the 1/2 to 1 quart of oil that leaks out of the block and filter when you unscrew the oil filter.
I wish Honda had not side mounted the filter.
"@#&$#' Honda at every oil change.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:41 PM
Racer

i saw the new civic's under platform and the place where they mount their oil filter is right beside the bolt where you drain oil so it would be much easier to do oil changes on the new civic.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:07 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by shitbox
i saw the new civic's under platform and the place where they mount their oil filter is right beside the bolt where you drain oil so it would be much easier to do oil changes on the new civic.
The Civic Si filter is on the side because Honda engineers hate me.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:56 AM
Go Dutch !

Not to offend anyone, but isn't it a bit silly to safe 35 bucks on an oil change on a 30.000 dollar car ? Also I've read that a lot of people change the oil in their new cars before the standard first scheduled maintenace job. Why is that ? I've asked my Honda mechanic and he says the oil put into the new cars is special oil for the first 20K km. First scheduled maintenance job here is at 20.000 km and he states their is no need to change it any sooner.

Also, how about your warrenty ? I'd think that by skipping the maintenance by changing the oil and filters yourself you'd void warrenty (should be the same in the states). Also on trade-inn value having a blank in your service book would not work in your advantage here... Or are we just talking about the extra oil change between regular service points here ?
Old 12-16-2006, 02:56 PM
UK Accord Type-S

I agree with you that the oil doesn't need to be changed out so often....but you're wrong about the part about people wanting to save 35 bucks.........it's not that people want to try saving the money but that they want to actually work on their cars as a hobby...otherwise they wouldn't be on a site like this if they weren't interested.......it's knowledgeable and fun to learn!

Also i don't think they are talking about not doing the service....people just want to change out oil in between servicing.
Old 12-16-2006, 03:55 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Mokijoki
Not to offend anyone, but isn't it a bit silly to safe 35 bucks on an oil change on a 30.000 dollar car ? Also I've read that a lot of people change the oil in their new cars before the standard first scheduled maintenace job. Why is that ? I've asked my Honda mechanic and he says the oil put into the new cars is special oil for the first 20K km. First scheduled maintenance job here is at 20.000 km and he states their is no need to change it any sooner.

Also, how about your warrenty ? I'd think that by skipping the maintenance by changing the oil and filters yourself you'd void warrenty (should be the same in the states). Also on trade-inn value having a blank in your service book would not work in your advantage here... Or are we just talking about the extra oil change between regular service points here ?
It's not the money at all. It's the fact that there are so many poor mechanics around, especially at the stealerships. When I change me own oil, I get the satisfaction that I know for a fact I did everything 100% right.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:18 PM
Go Dutch !

Ah.... I can understand the hobby part... Although personally doing an oil change wouldn't make me very happy
Old 12-22-2006, 06:39 PM
Instructor

[QUOTE=Mokijoki]Not to offend anyone, but isn't it a bit silly to safe 35 bucks on an oil change on a 30.000 dollar car ?

No, It's not about the coin. I'd be pleased to pay $35+ for an oil change but I'm not willing to sit and wait an hour to hour and a half only to have them try to upsell a maintenance package that I don't need. I do my own brakes, tranny, filter and oil service because I know it's actually done and done right. I put on alot of miles and need service every 2 months so I would spend much more time trying to schedule appointments and sitting in dealerships than it takes to do the job myself.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:17 PM
B A N N E D

LOL my oil filter sucks you have to reach around the exhaust manifold Then it leaks out onto the header. If you dont now how to change oil in the TSX just have someone show you first.

I like doing my own oil change. It maes me at one with the car. lol. just kiddin. Really its all about not waiting & doing it when it's convient for me.

Quick Reply: Who's Done Their own Oil Change?