Who bought a MT for the first time?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 07:40 AM
John Starks - The Dunk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Who bought a MT for the first time?

Hi all,

Still comparing the TSX and the A4 after the test drive this weekend. I was just about 85% sure I was getting a TSX until I test drove the 5AT.

Coming from a 1992 Accord, the TSX did not blow me away....surprising, I really thought it would.

I have only driven a MT a few times, and it has been a while since I have done it. I was afraid to test drive the 6MT this weekend cause the dealer was located at the bottom of a hill on a very busy street.

The last MT i drove was a Z06 corvette, but the clutch was amazingly forgiving. How easy is the clutch on the TSX? Is it virtually impossible to stall? (this is what the guy with me on the drive in the corvette said about the vette)

Is the AT a lot weaker than the MT? (I read a lot of posts on this question previously poster, but most people just talk about their commute in traffic)

Thanks for all your help.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:33 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I think having 400HP would make it a little tougher to stall but the TSX is still a pretty easy car to drive. The only thing you should watch out for is the 6MT has a pretty tight shift pattern and I've missed a couple of shifts.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:51 AM
dnb
in search of PW threads

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd like to clarify a couple of things. You've never owned an MT-equipped car, right? And most of your driving will be done on the streets of New York City?
Old 01-26-2004, 09:03 AM
John Starks - The Dunk

Originally posted by dnb
I'd like to clarify a couple of things. You've never owned an MT-equipped car, right? And most of your driving will be done on the streets of New York City?
You are correct. I have only owned a 1992 Accord EX Auto, which I got 7 years ago when I was 17.

Most of my driving is to and from work, which is in Long Island. The commute is about 43 miles...and I start work at 6:30AM so i never see traffic in the mornings. Traffic on the way back however is usually about 1.5 hours in traffic (without traffic it is 40 minutes, door to door)

The only times I really have driven a manual is when my friends get lazy on our road trips but only drive when the roads are totally empty. (4AM on the way back from Atlantic City) or to move cars in and out the driveway. (all of which are sentra's & maxima's)

Afraid to buy a new car and mess up the clutch right away.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:35 AM
The Voice of Reason

I'm also in the NYC area, and have 3 cars with manual transmissions at the moment.

The clutch/transmission of the TSX isn't actually bad IMO but it wouldn't be the easiest clutch and transmission in the world to learn on (that would be the old 240 Volvo or most pickup trucks). If I wasn't extremely comfortable with driving a manual transmission I wouldn't have bought the 6M TSX. Also, if I couldn't drive a manual, my own choice would be an Accord EX-L V6, over the TSX 5A.

There have been several posts about TSX manual transmission failures and clutch failures over the months.

Old 01-26-2004, 10:43 AM
UK Spec

Yep this will be my 2nd car i m gona own...

and first manual car.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:02 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally posted by bob shiftright
There have been several posts about TSX manual transmission failures and clutch failures over the months.

Several? Maybe 4 or 5 at the most.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:06 AM
bleh...

The TSX is my second MT car, my first one was a '93 Nissan 240SX SE. Several of you ppl own 1992 Accords (4G) prior to owning your TSXs. I still have my Accord and I love it!
Old 01-26-2004, 11:58 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

I feel sorry for you, I went from a 92 Accord LX MT to a TSX MT and was blown away. IMO my Accord's clutch was the pickiest ever so I love how crisp the clutch is and how short the stock throw is.

But, if you've never had a MT and drive in traffic, do not get a MT. Stop and Go is the only negative to a MT, and you'll probably end up with a sore foot after a long drive home. And if you're scared to drive up hills, you don't have any business buying a MT, you'd just be throwing yourself into the fire and are a hazard.

I think AT is always slower than MT b/c you lose HP in the transmission. So your WHP will be lower. I'm not sure, but search if there are any stock AT dyno's around.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:15 PM
John Starks - The Dunk

Originally posted by xizor
if you're scared to drive up hills, you don't have any business buying a MT, you'd just be throwing yourself into the fire and are a hazard.
So you were an expert at driving manual the first time you got behind the wheel? J/K

Its not like I haven't ever done it, I actually drove from Atlantic City to NYC before...I just wanted to know what your opinions on how forgiving the clutch is. For instance the clutch on a Jeep Wrangler I hear is a giant PAIN. ( A couple of valet parking attendants told me when my friend told them to be careful because his clutch was messed up, " As long as its not a Wrangler we'll have no problems....They are the hardest clutches to drive ever made") I have no idea if that is fact or fiction, but that is what I heard.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:29 PM
dnb
in search of PW threads

Originally posted by yuhoo22
So you were an expert at driving manual the first time you got behind the wheel? J/K

Its not like I haven't ever done it, I actually drove from Atlantic City to NYC before...I just wanted to know what your opinions on how forgiving the clutch is.
... and a number of opinions have been posted.

I know you didn't ask it, but xizor and I wanted to point out the tangential issue of having to drive an MT in rush hour traffic for extended periods. It can be a pain sometimes, even with Honda/Acura transmissions.

dnb, who's spent some time driving in NYC
Old 01-26-2004, 12:37 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

My gf's parents bought a 2003 Jeep Wrangler Sahara MT and she learned to drive it perfectly over summer w/o knowing manual before. I let her try my 92 Accord afterwards and she stalled 5 times getting out of the parking lot. Haven't let her touch my TSX yet though.

I think the TSX transmission is ultra smooth. The engagement point on the clutch is really high, so you only have to push it in about 2 in. to change gears. I love it b/c I can shift faster, not sure how it would affect a new driver though.

If you do test drive a MT, go practice on a friends car b4 u beat up that beautiful Acura.

*edit* I drive in DC/Northern VA rush hour, 2nd worst in the country
Old 01-26-2004, 01:27 PM
The Voice of Reason

Originally posted by domn
Several? Maybe 4 or 5 at the most.
Not to always be the curmudgeon but:

sev·er·al ( P ) Pronunciation Key (svr-l, svrl) adj.
Being of a number more than two or three but not many: several miles away.

Or "4 or 5 at the most".....

My clutch and MT are still just fine, thank you.
Old 01-26-2004, 01:36 PM
Intermediate

Re: Who bought a MT for the first time?

Hi all,

Still comparing the TSX and the A4 after the test drive this weekend. I was just about 85% sure I was getting a TSX until I test drove the 5AT.

Coming from a 1992 Accord, the TSX did not blow me away....surprising, I really thought it would.

I have only driven a MT a few times, and it has been a while since I have done it. I was afraid to test drive the 6MT this weekend cause the dealer was located at the bottom of a hill on a very busy street.

The last MT i drove was a Z06 corvette, but the clutch was amazingly forgiving. How easy is the clutch on the TSX? Is it virtually impossible to stall? (this is what the guy with me on the drive in the corvette said about the vette)

Is the AT a lot weaker than the MT? (I read a lot of posts on this question previously poster, but most people just talk about their commute in traffic)

Thanks for all your help.

The TSX was my first ever MT car. I took 2 hours of training with a friend of mine at work, before i bought the car. I then practiced for 3 more hours, by myself, after i bought the car. Now i drive the car everyday, no problems. From my limited knowledge of MT, i would have to say the clutch and shifting on the TSX is smooth like butter! It's so easy!
Old 01-26-2004, 01:36 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Not to always be the curmudgeon but:

sev·er·al ( P ) Pronunciation Key (svr-l, svrl) adj.
Being of a number more than two or three but not many: several miles away.

Or "4 or 5 at the most".....

My clutch and MT are still just fine, thank you.
Thanks for the clarification, I thought 4 or 5 fell into the "a few" category. But now I'm wondering if it was even 4 or 5. I think 3 for sure. Who feels like drubbing up the exact number?
Old 01-26-2004, 01:53 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The first car I ever bought was the MT IROC-Z. I had never owned a MT car before but I did practice on my friends car before I went to the dealership to pick it up. At that time my commute to work was 22 miles RT. I stayed with a MT when I purchased my Integra but, after moving to Long Beach my commute became 46 miles RT and driving the MT to work every day was a pain. Over the years the traffic has gotten only worse. I now commute using a vanpool and my new TSX is an AT because a) my wife can't drive a stick and b) because if I do need to drive to work on my own I prefer the AT. Speaking from experience, if you will be driving in congested areas with stop-n-go traffic I would highly recommend an AT. The AT TSX is a little slower of the line than the MT but is still quick enough for me. Once at speed its hard to tell the difference. The only place where I still miss the MT is when we go for a drive up the coast or in the local mountains. Under those conditions the MT is more fun IMHO.
Old 01-26-2004, 01:59 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

When I bought my GS-R (MT Only) I had no clue how to drive MT. So I asked the salesmen if I could take out a demo GS-R for a hour before the pickup of my new car. He agreed, and I learned MT for the most part within that hour.
Old 01-26-2004, 02:10 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
One more reason never to buy demo cars!
Old 01-27-2004, 09:21 AM
John Starks - The Dunk

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

took out my friends MT yesterday, and he swears that I have been driving a MT for years and that I wanted to show off my skills. My girlfriend however didn't fare so well....Looks like I may not have a choice anymore.

AT here I come...:'(
Old 01-27-2004, 10:05 AM
dnb
in search of PW threads

AT here I come...:'(
According to another thread you're also considering the 2004 TL and 2003 CL. Have you taken these out for test drives? If you're restricting yourself to ATs and are not pleased with the TSX + AT, you might be happier with these other cars.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:10 PM
STC
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
After driving cars like the Type R, Evo, STi, newer Trans Am, Z06, I'd have to say the TSX is the smoothest, easiest tranny I ever driven.

Its so easily that I get spoiled, and when I do drive the Evo it takes a few shifts before I get into the groove again.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:49 PM
Suzuka Master

....AT here I come...:'(
Noooooooooooo...

Just teach her!
Old 01-27-2004, 12:56 PM
John Starks - The Dunk

Originally posted by ClutchPerformer
Noooooooooooo...

Just teach her!
I wish I could buddy, I wish I could....

Its ok though, the AT isn't that bad compared to other cars I test drove. (Audi A4 1.8T) At least this way I get to drive her 2004 X5 around when I want!!!
Old 01-27-2004, 01:04 PM
10th Gear

I didnt get a chance to read all the reply's yet, but I think the most important questions was, is there a big differance between the AT and the MT? The anwser is YESSS. If your going to get an AT get another car. However the MT on the TSX would be fine to learn on. The only shift that takes some getting used to is, into first then first into second. All the other gears are butter! If Acura would make the sport shift without the automatic shift in the first three gears it might be a different story.
Old 01-27-2004, 01:07 PM
dnb
in search of PW threads

Its ok though, the AT isn't that bad compared to other cars I test drove. (Audi A4 1.8T) At least this way I get to drive her 2004 X5 around when I want!!!

So you can drive her X5 if and only if you get an AT?

Boy, this is getting complicated.

I'm with ClutchPerformer. Tell your girlfriend that everyone at acura-tsx.com wants her to learn how to use a stick.
Old 01-27-2004, 01:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by dnb

So you can drive her X5 if and only if you get an AT?

Boy, this is getting complicated.....
I think it's like this:

If he gets an AT, she can drive his TSX when he's in the X5. If he gets an MT and he takes the X5, she basically has no car (since she can't drive stick). Most girls won't go for that.

That being said, I don't know if I'd ever feel comfortable letting my girlfriend drive my car. My (future) wife, MAYBE....
Old 01-27-2004, 01:41 PM
dnb
in search of PW threads

If he gets an AT, she can drive his TSX when he's in the X5. If he gets an MT and he takes the X5, she basically has no car (since she can't drive stick). Most girls won't go for that.

Thanks.
Old 01-27-2004, 02:33 PM
STi'd

this is my first MT and I don't think this car was hard to learn on at all. I think the clutch is quite soft and very comfortable for everyday driving.
Old 01-27-2004, 03:16 PM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Good thing my wife wasn't like this when we were dating. I convinced her to trade in her 97 Civic EX coupe (AT) to our now R.I.P. 99 Integra GS-R sedan. She didn't know how to drive stick before that, but I taught her and she's liking it now. The only thing I need to convince her now is to have her try out auto-x so she won't get bored when she comes to the event with me.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:11 PM
Intermediate

The clutch/transmission of the TSX isn't actually bad IMO but it wouldn't be the easiest clutch and transmission in the world to learn on (that would be the old 240 Volvo or most pickup trucks).
Wow, I couldn't disagree more with this statement... Pickups have some of the most stubborn and vague manual trannies I've ever driven... The shifter on the TSX is one of the major reasons I like this car.... very very light clutch, precise shifter throws... I don't know how anyone could ever miss a shift on this car. I would recommend it to anyone who's learning how to drive manual. Plus, the low torque at low rpms makes it more difficult to damage the clutch unless you're revving the engine to 5 grand at every launch.

I've been driving stick since I learned to drive 12 years ago. Started on a '76 Mercedes 280S, moved to a '78 VW Rabbit... then my Saturn SL1, and Boxster.

I've driven manual on pickups, sports cars, SUVs, big sedans...

I can't think of one that was easier to drive than the TSX.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:32 PM
Instructor

This was my first MT as well. I was a bit nervous when test driving, but I surprisingly didn't stall or anything embarassing. I was also surprised at how easy the RSX was. I would suggest just finding a dealership that isn't at the bottom of a busy hill

Don't worry about the learning curve. After about half a week, you start getting the hang of it. Then I guess you keep slowly improving for months...

I tried and considered the AT at my next test drive, and maybe I was expecting too much, but it really didn't feel as smooth and intuitive as I thought it would be. Maybe I was just too used to my parents' V6 SUV's and minivans. MT just feels stronger for some reason.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:54 PM
John Starks - The Dunk

Well thanks for all the advice and tips....

But i did it today! I am part of the club. AT though

Take delivery in March. CG/Quartz/AT/Nav
Post pics when i get it.

BTW, ClutchPerformer was right. I need to be able to trade with my girlfriend sometimes.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:10 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well thanks for all the advice and tips....

But i did it today! I am part of the club. AT though

Take delivery in March. CG/Quartz/AT/Nav
Post pics when i get it.

BTW, ClutchPerformer was right. I need to be able to trade with my girlfriend sometimes.
Congrats on your purchase. I opted for the AT after having driven an MT for years. Its funny how I'm still grabbing for gears and my left foot looks for the clutch when I come up on a turn.