Whew!!!! What a close one...nice brakes and suspension.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 11:12 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whew!!!! What a close one...nice brakes and suspension.

Naptown reporting...

Avoided a close one today....

Going 80 on I-65 (traffic was going just as fast if not faster). There was a garbage truck on the lane to my right about 4 car lengths ahead. A dump truck to the right of him must have not seen him and tried to change lanes into the garbage truck's lane.

The garbage truck had to swerve into my lane, but for some unknown reason, swerved back into his lane. There was just no way that was going to hold so the back went around...his brakes were locked in and proceeded to skid across the interstate three lanes in front of me and straight into the dividing wall. The garbage truck flipped, but thankfully, the guy was ok...he had on his belt and the cabin was in good shape.

I was pretty worried since I had my three sisters with me, but aside from the actual truck cutting in front of us, what worried me most was a wayward fire extinguisher. Amidst the tire smoke and smell of burning rubber I saw an extinguisher flailing across the highway the other way. I was just afraid it would shoot off into our direction.

Again, thankfully, no one was hurt. The only damage was to the garbage truck and the center dividing wall. Everyone was so fortunate that it didn't go over the wall and into incoming traffic.

About the car...it's fine (just to keep this relative to the board).

I didn't get the chance to test out the ABS (thankfully!!!!), but going from 80-0 was not as abrupt as I expected. That's not to say there's not much stopping power in them...it was just nice and smooth. There wasn't much nose dive either. Well done, Acura!

Now if only the Nav would have warned me about that pending accident ahead of time.

"Accident in a half-mile"

"Accident in a quarter-mile"

"Accident is on the left"

Naptown out.
Old 09-10-2003, 11:38 PM
Instructor

Re: Whew!!!! What a close one...nice brakes and suspension.

Originally posted by MSB128

Now if only the Nav would have warned me about that pending accident ahead of time.

"Accident in a half-mile"

"Accident in a quarter-mile"

"Accident is on the left"

Naptown out.
Lol. What a pathetic Nav system.. can't predict the future, can't solve all of lifes problem, nor can it satisfy your sexual needs.

I'm holding out for the upgrade.

btw, McGrath is right by me. Did you ever give an account of your purchase experience, i.e., price paid, when purchased, who did you work with, etc.
Old 09-11-2003, 12:21 AM
such a dirty birdy

Glad to hear you're all OK. Let us know if you notice any brake rotor warpage. It's not unheardof for Honda rotors to warp after a good hard panic stop. I'm hoping things are improved a bit on the TSX and this isn't a problem. And yeah, a "prognostication" option on the Nav would be nice.
Old 09-11-2003, 12:32 AM
Burning Brakes

yea the Nav has it's limits i tired "give me head" but no such luck. glad your car is ok and the passengers. i ran over a peice of rubber from a truck tire this evening pitch dark. i hear it whap along the side of the car but no damage. i did see it in time but by the time i realised it was bigger than it first appeared it was too late to swerve.
Old 09-11-2003, 12:54 AM
Instructor

Naptown reporting....

Hehehe...for $2,000 I was expecting something from it!!!!

Seriously, though, I'm really glad everyone was fine.

I took it for a bit of a drive afterwards (no highway driving for the rest of the night) and there weren't any vibrations under braking.

I hadn't heard that about Honda rotors, so I'll check it out, but everything seems to be fine thus far.

I was most surprised at how little nose dive there was. Maybe there was just way too much going on around me to notice, but it was still very comfortable.

combustible1

I put up a post in the Dealer Lot section about them. The short story is that I had a great experience with them. I drove all the way up from Indy to do business with them and I wouldn't hesitate to do so again. I'll PM you more info. I worked with Grant Goering...great guys over there.

Naptown out.
Old 09-11-2003, 02:45 AM
Racer

Yep, i feel i've been avoiding a large amount of crap on the highways after my TSX got nailed with pieces of a bucked a could days ago. I polished off the marks. Thank you meguiar's . I'm glad you are fine, thats all that really matters. I've been noticing a lot of junk on the highway lanes... maybe this has something to do with our minds and us driving new cars... hmmmmmmm
Old 09-11-2003, 11:06 AM
Instructor

Naptown reporting....

Originally posted by tehCOW
maybe this has something to do with our minds and us driving new cars... hmmmmmmm
That's so true. I end up noticing so many more little things on the road in my TSX than in my three year old Impreza and even more so in our other "older" cars.

From small dips in the road to buckles in the pavement and gaps in the concrete, I see them all and try to avoid them in the TSX.

I think the other cars are getting jealous...it's straight through all that in them.

Naptown out.
Old 09-12-2003, 01:51 AM
Houston we have a problem

Originally posted by MSB128

...I was most surprised at how little nose dive there was. Maybe there was just way too much going on around me to notice, but it was still very comfortable.
You mentioned earlier that you have not activated the ABS under that hard braking incident, presumably nose dive will not be serious. However, under seriously hard braking, TSX DOES dive for a fair amount. TSX's suspension setup is good with bumps, transitions and almost every other thing except for anti dive/rise. That's also why, in my opinion, TSX's 0-60mph suffers a bit with the wheel hop and all.

Anyways, just thought it's interesting to mention.