Where is the clutch fluid drain?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 08:55 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where is the clutch fluid drain?

I was looking around in the engine bay and I fould a small tube with a black rubber cap underneath the intake manifold. I'm thinking that it's the clutch fluid drain.

I've got to get some brake fluid for my wife's car so I figured instead of having some extra unused fluid, I would go ahead and bleed and replace the clutch fluid in my car.

thanks for your help.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:13 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
There isn't one. There's a bleed nipple on the slave cylinder on the transmission housing. You don't want to drain the system and refill it because you'll spend a lot of unnecessary time trying to get the bubbles out afterwards. Use the bleed to nipple to flush the old fluid out but make sure you keep topping off the reservoir so you don't suck in air.

I don't know if I would bother with all that unless you've been experiencing issues with the clutch feel. You're more likely to create a problem for yourself (bubbles) than you are to get any sort of improvement out the ordeal.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:24 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by LukeaTron
There isn't one. There's a bleed nipple on the slave cylinder on the transmission housing. You don't want to drain the system and refill it because you'll spend a lot of unnecessary time trying to get the bubbles out afterwards. Use the bleed to nipple to flush the old fluid out but make sure you keep topping off the reservoir so you don't suck in air.

I don't know if I would bother with all that unless you've been experiencing issues with the clutch feel. You're more likely to create a problem for yourself (bubbles) than you are to get any sort of improvement out the ordeal.

it sounds exactly like it was in my civic. slowly bleed the fluid out until the new fluid starts coming out. make sure to keep the resevoir topped off while bleeding. I'm not really looking for improvement, just keeping up on making sure that the fluids are fresh and clean.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:42 AM
Drifting

Yeah, that's exactly what you want to do.

The hydraulic clutch fluid doesn't live a very stressful life though. Low temps and pressure. There shouldn't be a very frequent need to mess with it. If it still looks good and clear, I'd just leave it alone.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:09 PM
Instructor

How do you bleed the clutch fluid? I have bled 2 clutches before, a Miata and a BMW. The Miata was easy, the BMW was hard. Do you remove the old fluid from the resevior, wipe an residue from the resevior, refill with new fluid, have someone press the clutch while you open the bleeder, and repeat until clean fluid comes out?
Old 02-05-2008, 01:28 PM
Drifting

Yup. Just make sure you don't press the clutch in while the reservoir is empty or you'll suck air in. Keep checking it while your bleeding or you going to have to start over. It's just like bleeding brakes but a lot easier.