When is VSA in use?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 11:52 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When is VSA in use?

Question about VSA, when is it actively working. Is it only when the indicator is flashing, or is it making minute adjustments normally? I ask because I've been running autox's w/ it on and off and haven't noticed much difference, but in neither case is the indicator going off.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:12 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,967 Likes on 2,645 Posts
Leave it off when you AutoX. You'll find when you get better and start whipping around corners much faster that it YOU can control car much better.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:26 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by sarlacc23
Leave it off when you AutoX. You'll find when you get better and start whipping around corners much faster that it YOU can control car much better.
well I don't spin wheels when I start, so that's not a problem. Just wondering around turns, like I said I couldn't tell if VSA was doing anything or not, my impression is that it made no difference since my wheels weren't spinnng through turns.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:41 AM
Racer

for most normal people VSA is only going to kick in when its really snowy, and if you really lose control of the car and you're ready to crash.....

you have to drive it pretty hard to get it to come on in other words...
Old 08-17-2004, 09:45 AM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bgillette
for most normal people VSA is only going to kick in when its really snowy, and if you really lose control of the car and you're ready to crash.....

you have to drive it pretty hard to get it to come on in other words...
Another county heard from... don't think it adds to the understanding of Autocross/VSA interaction, though.

The fundamental principle of various production vehicle stability systems, such as Bosch's VDC (Vehicle Dynamics Control), Cadillac/Delphi's StabiliTrak, Toyota's VSC (Vehicle Stability Control), and now Honda's VSA (Vehicle Stability Assist), can be explained by Shibahata's method. All these systems add side-slip control to ABS/traction control systems. They handle sudden changes in vehicle behavior, enabling the driver to control the situation. Honda's system is based on the concept of stabilization through control of the front wheels (in a front-wheel-drive car) without reducing the pleasure of driving.

The VSA uses the ABS/TCS architecture to which a unique electronic control unit and an algorithm are added. Input sources include wheel-speed sensors, yaw-rate sensor, lateral acceleration sensor, steering angle sensor, engine speed sensor, and brake switch. The ECU has main- and sub-CPUs. The system applies an appropriate individual brake, and modulates the engine's torque output as required by the situation.

In an oversteer situation, the system calculates the driver's intended "target" from lateral acceleration, steering angle, and vehicle speed. If the vehicle's actual yaw rate exceeds the target, the VSA brakes the outside front wheel to reduce yaw, thereby regaining stability.

In an understeer situation the system intervenes by reducing engine torque output, and if necessary, by braking the inside front wheel. This creates an inward moment, putting the car on the driver's intended line.

The VSA assists the vehicle in starting on a slippery and split-coefficient surface by applying the brake on the front wheel on more slippery side, and directing engine torque to the other wheel, which has more grip.

Braking while cornering is a difficult task, disturbing the vehicle's stability. The VSA switches ABS from the normal three-channel, select-low mode (straight-line and cornering at moderate speed) to the four-channel mode, controlling the rear brakes independently. Taking advantage of weight transfer during cornering, the system applies the brake on the outer rear wheel, improving braking performance.