Whats the purpose of the transmissions on the AUTO TSX's?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 08:45 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
Don't downshift it to from 2-1. The change in ratios is drastic, and it can be really rough. However, the transmission logic is pretty good at protecting itself- if it can't really do it, it just won't. The gear indicator will flash '1' and then give you second.

If you're doing a test drive and the car is a demo car, go ahead and try that downshift, just so you know how it feels.
Thanks CarbonGrayEarl.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:48 PM
Racer

[QUOTE=04EuroAccordTsx]Why don't you question then the RL and TL which also have SS mode....[QUOTE]

Sorry, are you asking me?

It's the TSX I'm interested in. I love everything else about that car.... (drool sign)....
Old 10-01-2006, 07:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by frescagod
if you're downshifting unnecessarily to increase engine speed and decrease your actual speed, you're idiots. it's one thing to downshift once when you're going down a long decline (like driving through mountains in PA or something where you can be on a decline for miles at a time), but if you're doing it when you come up to every stop light, have fun when your transmission craps out. i'd rather pay for new brake pads like 2 months earlier than i would have instead of buying a new tranny.
You don't have to buy a new tranny.
You just replace the clutch and resurface the flywheel. Possibly the synchros, but none of this should be premature if you are downshifting PROPERLY (i.e. rev-matched, double clutch if you want to help out the synchros).
Old 10-02-2006, 12:39 PM
Intermediate

After owning a few manual transmission cars in my life, I bough the TSX Automatic (in part so that my wife would be more comfortable driving it). I wasn't really sure if I was going to like it or not.

After two years of owning the car, I think I made the right decision. I do drive it in "manual" mode about 90% of the time, except for those instances where I'm in very heavy traffic when I'm more than happy to let the car do the job for me.

The number one reason I use it in manual mode is to be able to downshift prior to taking a corner or to pass someone. I also now use engine braking more than I ever did when I had a "true" manual transmission car. Back then I always worried about wearing out the clutch (it is cheaper and easier to replace the brakes than it is to replace the clutch). I do not have to worry about that any more.

The other two reasons why I decided to go with this auto tranny is resale value of the car and highway mileage. In the US it is much easier to sell an automatic than it is to sell a manual transmission car (I had manual trans cars before, so I know this first hand). I also like the fact that the auto trans gets better hwy mileage than the manual. Don't know why Acura didn't spread out the ratios on the manual transmission a little more. Not like 6 gears were not enough to be able to do it.

By the way, I test drove an Infinity FX with their "manumatic" transmission. It has a feature which automatically revs the engine to match the lower gear when downshifting. Makes it very smooth, but kills engine braking. This sucks IMO.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:42 PM
Race Director

[QUOTE=Overtaxed][QUOTE=04EuroAccordTsx]Why don't you question then the RL and TL which also have SS mode....

Sorry, are you asking me?

It's the TSX I'm interested in. I love everything else about that car.... (drool sign)....
Nope, I wanted to ask the original poster that question
Old 10-02-2006, 04:22 PM
AlwysCleanURArely c ASpec

let me put on my lab coat and really think hard about why there is sporshift mode on a tsx... GOT IT.. clutchless shifting and being able to either have a computer chose when to shift gears for you, or choose them yourself.. im pretty smart?
Old 10-02-2006, 06:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by eegrad
After owning a few manual transmission cars in my life, I bough the TSX Automatic (in part so that my wife would be more comfortable driving it). I wasn't really sure if I was going to like it or not.

After two years of owning the car, I think I made the right decision. I do drive it in "manual" mode about 90% of the time, except for those instances where I'm in very heavy traffic when I'm more than happy to let the car do the job for me.

The number one reason I use it in manual mode is to be able to downshift prior to taking a corner or to pass someone. I also now use engine braking more than I ever did when I had a "true" manual transmission car. Back then I always worried about wearing out the clutch (it is cheaper and easier to replace the brakes than it is to replace the clutch). I do not have to worry about that any more.

The other two reasons why I decided to go with this auto tranny is resale value of the car and highway mileage. In the US it is much easier to sell an automatic than it is to sell a manual transmission car (I had manual trans cars before, so I know this first hand). I also like the fact that the auto trans gets better hwy mileage than the manual. Don't know why Acura didn't spread out the ratios on the manual transmission a little more. Not like 6 gears were not enough to be able to do it.

By the way, I test drove an Infinity FX with their "manumatic" transmission. It has a feature which automatically revs the engine to match the lower gear when downshifting. Makes it very smooth, but kills engine braking. This sucks IMO.
I'm not sure you understand the concept of engine braking.
Engine braking is not the same as downshifting (as you make it sound).
As long as you're not on the throttle, you are engine braking, although it's more effective when you drop a gear since there's more resistance at higher RPM's. But the natural resistance from the engine is what aids in decelerating the vehicle, hence the term engine braking.

Engine braking causes no further wear on your clutch since it's engaged and not slipping. Downshifting, if rev-matched and done properly also causes no wear on your clutch (or very negligible).

I don't normally downshift to engine brake unless I'm on a decline (going down a hill) or unless I need the extra stopping power. I'll just stay in gear and brake as normal.
But I'll always rev-match if I downshift, or double clutch if I drop down 2 gears or if downshifting into 1st.

The Infiniti auto tranny does exactly what it's supposed to, rev-match on a downshift, just like a standard tranny.
I don't see how it's killing engine braking. You are provided with a more smooth shift into a lower gear, but still retaining the benefit engine braking.
Just because you don't get the sudden jerk as you would if you just downshifted in a manual and quickly released the clutch pedal, doesn't mean it's not engine braking.

As for resale, I was willing to wait longer and pay extra to get the 6 speed, and in fact, I did.
I think as manuals become more rare, and the younger generation thinking it's "cool" to drive manual, you will begin to see more buyers seek them out, making them more valuable.

I will however agree that 6th is not tall enough in the TSX.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:38 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ride Slow Homey
let me put on my lab coat and really think hard about why there is sporshift mode on a tsx... GOT IT.. clutchless shifting and being able to either have a computer chose when to shift gears for you, or choose them yourself.. im pretty smart?